Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Orphan Black is the best show on television and you should all be watching it

For those unfamiliar with the basic premise, it's a Canadian science fiction show running on BBC America. A First Episode Spoiler summary follows:

This show manages to be utterly engrossing on just about every level. The writing, effects, soundtrack, etc., are all top notch and thus far there hasn't been a single thing about the show that has taken me out of the world they've created. It also does a superb job subverting traditional gender tropes. Not only does the show pass the Bechdel test with flying colours (and most episodes fail the Reverse Bechdel) but it frequently subverts traditional expectations of females and femininity in ways that will no doubt appeal greatly to members of this message board.

The show also has a tightly plotted mystery arc that resembles what the writers of shows like The X-Files and Lost were trying to do, only with this show it's clear that the entire thing was plotted out from the beginning, and there is no excess fat. Each episode is filled with "holy shit" moments that make the wait for the next episode almost interminable, and the amount of dramatic tension the show manages to generate is almost excruciating at times.

The main reason to watch it, though, is Tatiana Maslany. While the entire ensemble cast is very good, Maslany is literally half of it. I don't mean she's on screen for half the time; I mean she plays literally half the parts. There are at least six major characters Maslany plays that are all clearly distinct human beings. They look different, they sound different, they talk differently, they act differently, they even walk differently. They also impersonate each other at multiple parts of the story's plot, and you believe completely that it's one character impersonating the other. As a commenter on tumblr said, "Sarah as Cosima doesn't even look like Cosima and I will never understand that because they are literally the same person". Maslany deserves Emmy awards for best actress, best supporting actress, and best ensemble and the entire SFX/makeup team deserves awards for making her interactions with herself as different characters seamless. It is, bar none, the greatest acting performance I have ever seen.

Orphan Black is the best thing currently on television (that I'm aware of, anyway) and you're doing yourself a grave disservice if you're not watching it. You can watch the whole thing on BBC America's website, so you really have no excuse.

I have only one small caveat: It may take you a few episodes to get into. It's a very plot-heavy show, and the first few episodes have to set up a lot of the background for the show before it can really start blowing your mind. Also, several of the characters start out rather unlikeable. Keep watching; they get better. Even murderous psycho Helena isn't what she seems at first.

Anyway, I partially made this thrad to share this link with people who already watch it (although it has no major spoilers, so if you don't watch it yet you're safe to read it anyway): Orphan Black Characters Storytelling Gender Bias Villains | The Mary Sue

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 05-27-2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: mixed up names in tumblr quote
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-27-2014), BrotherMan (05-27-2014), ceptimus (04-04-2015), Crumb (05-27-2014), Ensign Steve (02-10-2021), LadyShea (05-27-2014), lisarea (05-27-2014), SharonDee (06-19-2014), slimshady2357 (05-27-2014), Stormlight (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Orphan Black is the best show on television and you should all be watching it

Yes. What The Man said. You remember the complicated corporation controlling people and personhood that Dollhouse tried to pull off but didn't for whatever reason? Orphan Black takes that shit to school and makes it wear the dunce cap and clean the erasers after school. There is nothing not top notch about the show. Everyone is a fully dimensional character.

If you've heard the clamor from the internet about Tatiana Maslany but dismissed it because the internet gonna net, then you need to check it before you wreck it. She's the real deal and she's that good. Any one of the characters could make for a great and entertaining show but she's playing six of them. The people they pay to pay attention to the details aren't there just to collect a paycheck. They are working their eyeballs out and it definitely shows.

One thing I'm hoping and praying will eventually make it all the way into American television are the short seasons. It really helps eliminate the boring and tedious fat and bullshit that a 22+ episode season builds up. Yeah, you have to pay attention and there's only a small window of getting spoiled, but the final product really shines as a result.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-27-2014), Ensign Steve (02-10-2021), LadyShea (05-27-2014), lisarea (05-27-2014), slimshady2357 (05-27-2014), Stormlight (05-27-2014), The Man (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Orphan Black is the best show on television and you should all be watching it

What those people said is all true.

Also, you can catch up on Prime, and maybe Netflix if you haven't watched it.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (05-27-2014), The Man (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

This thread is most timely for me as we've just finished Hannibal and True Detective and were looking for something quality to watch. :thanked:

We've been watching Perception for the past couple of nights and although it's not terrible it's pretty meh.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-27-2014), The Man (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Yeah...Thanks to the lot of you. I'll pass this on to the household tater.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

It's on my list to get to. I hope to manage this summer now that all my regular shows are in reruns.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-28-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

BAMP! :bump:

This show is pretty damn good and Tatiana Maslany is just as awesome as people said. Possibly more awesome even. She rocks and the way she makes each clone come alive as a unique individual is amazing to watch. And the double layer, when she's one clone pretending to be another clone... :faint: You can see it, you can see how it's not quite perfect, you can see the other clone slipping through. Seriously, it's freaking amazing.

We super binge watched this one because after about the second episode we were totally hooked. The first night we ended up watching 6 episodes straight even though we had to start the last one at 2am. We're old fogies, so that's like sunrise for you young peeps :lol:

And now we're all caught up and we have to wait for each new episode :tweek:

Also, I don't know if y'all have seen it already, but there is an hour show hosted by Wil Wheaton called The Cloneversation that was done between seasons and has the cast talking about the show and their roles. Wil isn't a great host really, he seems really forced, but the discussions are good.

You can watch it parts on youtube:
Orphan Black The Cloneversation Part1 - YouTube
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2014), Ensign Steve (02-10-2021), Janet (06-05-2014), LadyShea (06-05-2014), The Man (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

You guys make me want to watch this. I'll definitely check it out when I have the free time.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Fine! I watched three episodes in a row last night. Are you happy now?

It was really good.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-06-2014), Crumb (06-06-2014), LadyShea (06-06-2014), lisarea (06-06-2014), slimshady2357 (06-06-2014), Stormlight (06-06-2014), The Man (06-06-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 AM

Glad people are enjoying it. :cookiemonster:

Another excellent article on the series:

TV's Most Important Political Debate Is Happening Right Now on Orphan Black

Contains spoilers for season two.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM

OMG!

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-16-2014), Janet (06-19-2014), The Man (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
OMG!

Yeah, I was really pleased with the way they handled that. I can't think of much that could have been done to improve it. They've hinted we'll see more of
next season. Though we still haven't gotten an official confirmation the show is renewed, which is driving me nuts.

Episode nine of the new season was amazing too.

People may appreciate this from the show's science consultant as well. Note that there are multiple parts to the page, including this about episode eight. (Spoilers)

This show never fails to deliver.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-16-2014), Janet (06-19-2014), LadyShea (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't even feel sorry for cult-dude. He thought he could treat her like a piece of meat, some herd animal like he's trained the others. He learned the hard way you do not fuck with Helena or her sistren or her babbys.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-19-2014), LadyShea (06-16-2014), The Man (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 PM

"Helena will fuck your shit up"...lol that's the first thing I told Hubby when he sat down and watched an episode with me.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-16-2014), Janet (06-19-2014), The Man (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am completely short circuited by this show. I literally cannot even. It is so consistently awesome my brain can't catch up to make words about what is happening. Each episode is so chock full of things that I just give up and hang on. Like for reals. I'm in one of these three states while watching this show:

Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-16-2014), Janet (06-19-2014), LadyShea (06-16-2014), slimshady2357 (06-16-2014), The Man (06-16-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 12:35 AM

So, after that first night I got through everything else that was available in three more days. I basically lost my weekend catching up, walked into work on Tuesday and said, "Good morning, Sestra," to my sister. Then I told my nieces and my sister and my best friend that they all need to start watching.

I think the thing that has impressed me most is the shot of Sarah looking terrified that's in all the previews for season two. She seriously looks as scared as I have ever seen a person look. Getting to that episode and realizing she was playing that scene with no one blew my fucking mind. Everyone is right, she deserves all the awards.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-19-2014), LadyShea (06-19-2014), slimshady2357 (06-20-2014), The Man (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I love that Felix is a sestra too. I love that Helena uses it as both affectionately and as a needle.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-20-2014), LadyShea (06-19-2014), The Man (06-19-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 AM

Oh, and I forgot to admit that I totally didn't notice Art's name was Art Bell until I read that transcript. Please someone tell me he really, truly is named for THE Art Bell.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-20-2014), LadyShea (06-21-2014), The Man (06-20-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM

2.10 spoiler

Great episode and not at all what I was expecting.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2014), Janet (06-24-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 AM

Another 2.10 spoiler:

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2014), Janet (06-25-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I was waiting for a shoe to drop. I'm glad that it didn't drop. But that just reset the clock that keeps a check on my anxiety. I know it sounds weird but Cosima is my favorite.

I didn't recognize the Castor. Besides soldier guy, have we seen him before?

General state for this episode: [doctorintherain.gif]
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-25-2014), The Man (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 AM

Scattered thoughts on the episode (and an answer to one of your questions, Bort):

I don't know how the hell I'm going to wait nine more months for new episodes. They'd just better fucking renew this show or there will be riots.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2014), Janet (06-25-2014), LadyShea (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Props to the make up department because I didn't recognize that guy as the Castor. And the actor, too. Him being all hair slick and stone faced as one of the cultists had me totes fooled.

If this show isn't renewed then a lot of people need to be fired. This show is every bit as equal to all that Breaking Bad nonsense. Super tight plot. On point script. Out of this world acting. Plus Tatiana Maslany.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-25-2014), LadyShea (06-22-2014), The Man (06-22-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 AM

Two thoughts:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-25-2014), The Man (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Fishy mokey

You bastards had to drag me back in, didn't you?! :shakeff:

At some point it was getting a bit meh to me with all the clones and the accents and the mannerisms, after that wow start, but it's a lot more interesting again further on.
Janet (07-04-2014), The Man (07-03-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature