Old 05-13-2016, 09:02 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Default Re: DC Nation

Just watched Legends and can't believe no one mentioned the Snart line "there are no strings on me" :lol:

Surely they knew what they were doing when they chose that line.

Avengers: Age Of Ultron - "No Strings on Me." - YouTube
Old 05-14-2016, 12:27 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I also wonder if after being at the center of a spacetime explosion he's going to end up, as Zathras would say, unstuck in time.

Also I was wrong, there's one more episode of Legends left this season, and looking at the internet I have to give a long Ugghhhhhhh, at the connection that the Thanagarians are the war like species the hawk people come from in the comic canon. Sure maybe, just maybe they could reboot the insufferable hawk peoples into something more than a sappy relationship and bad dialog.

Rumors do suggest that this will be the end of the Vandal Savage arc and the next season will have a different goal and big bad.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-14-2016), Janet (05-24-2016), slimshady2357 (05-14-2016), The Man (05-14-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 AM

Legends
A pretty decent season finale, mostly scenes with Carter and Kendra that didn't suck, so bonus points. It's also clear the writers know what they're doing (I wonder who keeps pushing the Hawkmance) with a scene between cold and hot that reverses and mirrors Jax and his father. This time our protagonist is open to showing love/appreciation and the receiver is cold to it.

I've realized what I like about White Canary, the boots of course, but more so her farscape personality. Part of what made farscape fun and believable was John Criton's "fuck it, I'm on a space ship, these are aliens, in another part of the galaxy, every morning is wonder, also pain, and maybe a little reefer, sometimes unexpected.

So assuming (assuming) they aren't just playing fast and loose with things, this episode also reveals that many of Rips 'time laws' weren't physical laws but ingrained Time Master laws and you can actually do serious damage/control to the time line if you wanted to.

Arbitrary thoughts Gideon seems to be special and given the cross over what nots, I wonder if this Gideon is gained from Flash eventually. The only other time we've seen her AIOS is future reverse flash. In a previous episode it showed most (all) other time ships have an AI named Gottfried. So is Gideon only special to a set number of people? (perhaps stolen by reverse flash from a future Justice Society.

Overall, rocky, with some flaws but I'm invested enough to be looking forward to season 2. Canary, Cold, and Mick/Heat/Cronos stole the show, but only the hawk people sucked. I bet season 1 could be culled to a pretty decent 8-10 episode show.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-28-2016), Janet (05-24-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:53 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

With the changes they brought about with that finale I am looking forward to The Season Two of Tomorrow's Legends. Even after all these episodes it feels like they're still trying to figure out what to do with the individual characters. The premise of it all is intriguing enough that I can't help but wait and see where they eventually get where they're going.

Also, that Flash finale, right? SPEEDFORCE shenanigans! DRAMA! ACTION! Grant Gustin taking lessons from Jesse Martin and completely selling that raw emotion was so fantastic. And the big reveal with the Man in the Mask! Though I wasn't necessarily moved with who it was, I did get a little choked up when they put him in Earth3 Flash gear, complete with the helmet.

:flashcl:
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-28-2016), Janet (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I was just thinking this morning, with the time reset we're getting in <i>Flash</i> wouldn't it be cool if we start next season with Wally as Flash and Barry as a civilian?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-02-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I read an interview with Zack Snyder yesterday about the upcoming Justice League movie. At one point, the interviewer asked if the negative reviews of Batman v. Superman would have any impact on Justice League.

Snyder's response was basically, 1.) the movie made a lot of money, which proves the naysayers wrong anyway, and 2.) anyone who didn't like it was just upset by the "deconstruction" of Batman and Superman; they'll come around in time and realize how brilliantly this was done.

Okay, first of all, neither Man of Steel nor Batman v. Superman was in any way a deconstruction of the characters of Batman or Superman. Snyder doesn't understand what "deconstruction" means, it seems to me. The most charitable interpretation I can think of is that the movies were reinterpretations of the characters -- but "deconstructions" they were not.

This is not to say that reinterpretations of beloved characters are necessarily a bad thing, nor is it to say that they can't work. Neither Man of Steel nor Batman v. Superman works, however, because the writers/director demonstrate no understanding of the characters and what makes them so well-liked. You can't very well craft a good deconstruction of characters when you have no understanding of them in the first place.

It seems to me that there are two likely possibilities here. Possibility #1 is that Snyder simply doesn't understand what makes Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman such beloved characters -- and thus, he doesn't understand why so many people were pissed off by Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. That seems entirely possible, given that he's a self-proclaimed Ayn Rand fanboy. As such, his mindset may well be such that he simply can't comprehend why Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman are such admired and respected characters.

Possibility #2 is related: maybe Snyder does understand why the characters are so beloved, but being a devotee of Rand's "selfishness is good; altruism is evil" philosophy, he thinks that people who revere characters because of the characters' selflessness, self-sacrifice, compassion for others, and idealism are idiots.

Sooner or later, somebody in charge has got to get the message that putting Snyder in charge of movies about characters whom he a.) doesn't seem to understand, and b.) whose ideals he apparently holds in contempt -- is not a good idea.

Regardless, my already-low expectations regarding the upcoming Justice League movie just fell even lower.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-25-2016), Janet (07-08-2016), The Man (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Just an extra syllable. "Destruction" and "deconstruction" are so close.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-25-2016), Janet (07-08-2016), Kael (06-25-2016), The Lone Ranger (06-25-2016), The Man (06-25-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
SNIP

Sooner or later, somebody in charge has got to get the message that putting Snyder in charge of movies about characters whom he a.) doesn't seem to understand, and b.) whose ideals he apparently holds in contempt -- is not a good idea.

Regardless, my already-low expectations regarding the upcoming Justice League movie just fell even lower.
That isn't going to happen so long as the movies he makes earn a profit. He'll need to deliver a box office bomb before he's taken off the franchise. Do keep in mind that Warner Brothers is interested in making money first, for the minimum amount spent second; producing quality entertainment is a distant tertiary objective.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (07-17-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

But they could make MORE money if they had a team that was as competent as the MCU people.

And they definitely are in favor of more money, even if they're already making a lot.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-19-2016), Janet (07-21-2016), slimshady2357 (07-18-2016), The Lone Ranger (07-18-2016), The Man (07-19-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

That is certainly true. The problem is they are making money hand over fist with the people in charge of the franchise now. Changing the creative team to someone more competent may not translate to greater box office success. They'll ride the team they have until they crash and burn, then wonder what the fuck went wrong. Also, from what I have read and watched about the film industry, the executives at the top are incredibly hesitant to risk tampering with franchises that are already profitable for fear of the possibility of making changes reducing that profitability.

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

As it is known around these parts: The DC Cinematic Universe has gotten a big fat meh from me. As much as I like the idea of the Suicide Squad, based on Man of Steel and BvS, I may not see it. In fact, just about everything else I've seen or read about the big build ups to the bigger set piece movies turns me off to the whole thing.

And then there's Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot was the breath of fresh air in an otherwise grim and dreadful movie. She's getting her own movie, you know?

Here's the first poster:

Lookit, guys! ACTUAL REAL COLOR.

Oh, and also this trailer:

I may or may not be able to contain my hype for this.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-26-2016), Janet (07-26-2016), slimshady2357 (07-24-2016), Sock Puppet (07-25-2016), The Lone Ranger (07-25-2016), The Man (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Keep in mind that it's still being run by the people behind Man of Steel and BvS. I would hold off on expressing excitement until some credible reviews come in.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

They will surely have their influence, but the Wonder Woman feature is using different writers and a different director. I remember being excited for Man of Steel, and this is still feeding into other movies that I'm not excited for. But for now, I'm p excite. It's still way early and there's a lot of teasers and trailers and rumors to be had before the filum is released.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-26-2016), The Lone Ranger (07-25-2016), The Man (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 PM

Revel in that poster because we can't have anything nice.

According to the ComicCon panel, 'The Killing Joke' has been fleshed out by making Batgirl a man obsessed woman who dons the batgirl outfit to look hot for batman, who's normally seen as a father figure to her. Culminating in them having sex and then him dropping and avoiding her. Which all then leads into the actual killing joke of her being shot and paralyses.

It's sad when the 60s actually treated batgirl better than the progressive 21st century.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2016), Janet (07-26-2016), The Man (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:37 AM

That was my first thought upon seeing the poster: "Hey, Wonder Woman will actually be in color? That'll be a nice change."

If Snyder isn't directing, that's a big plus, but yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
According to the ComicCon panel, 'The Killing Joke' has been fleshed out by making Batgirl a man obsessed woman who dons the batgirl outfit to look hot for batman, who's normally seen as a father figure to her. Culminating in them having sex and then him dropping and avoiding her. Which all then leads into the actual killing joke of her being shot and paralyses.
:ohgod:

Quote:
It's sad when the 60s actually treated batgirl better than the progressive 21st century.
QFT
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2016), BrotherMan (07-25-2016), The Man (07-25-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Revel in that poster because we can't have anything nice.

I didn't want to believe a random report. Now that it's around on the internet, I'm sad and disgusted. It's even worse than this.
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM

To ruin more previously good views of fandoms,
according to two friends who were at this years ComicCon, Bruce Cambell is an ass. Not only being a jerk to lots of people but also taking time in a panel to ridicule a woman's Ash cosplay.
They left the Con no longer fans.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-27-2016), The Man (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I saw the theatrical release of The Killing Joke last night. I didn't have a problem with it as depicted. But I did read the spoilers and have time to sit with it before seeing it. It helped that I already knew that in Bruce Timm's opinion, Barbara and Bruce were a couple. Expecting him not to go there is unrealistic in my opinion. And, I will admit, Barbara does not come off well in Batman Beyond, where she gave the impression of having dumped Batman because she was ready to give up the life and he wasn't and has sat in judgment on him ever since, so there may be an argument that Timm isn't a big fan.

First off, you have to willfully read into the scene to get the idea that Barbara became Batgirl to get Batman into bed. I certainly didn't get anything like that out of it. I'm going to spoiler the rest, and go into some detail.

If my audience was anything to go by, the sex scene was not offensive to most of them. I'm going to transcribe the reactions of the three men sitting in front of me, because I found them interesting and probably indicative of most of the crowd. From left to right:

A) Well, that happened
B) Nice
C) That wasn't in the comic.

And then we all moved on and got caught up in the story.

I probably don't have to tell you that Mark Hamill was brilliant, but Mark Hamill was FUCKING BRILLIANT. I had forgotten going in that he would be playing a pre-Joker version of the character, so the work he did playing the innocent, insecure man he started as was a delightful surprise. And his singing in character? Fantastic! You cannot get better than Hamill as the Joker, I am convinced. I hope they include the short film with him they showed at the beginning as a DVD extra, because I want all of you to be able to see it.

I know :tealdeer: Short version, I saw it, loved it and am glad I pre-ordered it.

However, I've never seen Batman as a father figure to Batgirl. I grew up with the Adam West show in which she was his love interest. Then I came back to Batman through Batman Beyond and later BTAS, so them as a couple is something I am completely comfortable with. YMMV
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (07-27-2016), slimshady2357 (07-26-2016), Sock Puppet (07-26-2016), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2016), The Man (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:14 AM

BTW, my friends, winning an award for their dark cosplay,

Edit to add: Not seen is this, the 'male nipple' pasties being worn, as well as the moth shaped pubic hair.

Last edited by Ari; 07-27-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-27-2016), Ensign Steve (07-27-2016), Janet (07-27-2016), Sock Puppet (07-27-2016), The Man (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
However, I've never seen Batman as a father figure to Batgirl. I grew up with the Adam West show in which she was his love interest. Then I came back to Batman through Batman Beyond and later BTAS, so them as a couple is something I am completely comfortable with. YMMV
Most recent adaptations put Barbara Gordon at about the same age as Dick Grayson. Most have also made it clear that she was at least partially trained by Batman. But as I recall, in the 60's television series, it was established that Barbara was already a college graduate and had become a noted librarian and historian before she ever put on the tights and cape. And Batman had nothing whatsoever to do with her training. As such, it was pretty clearly established that she was a.) closer in age to Bruce Wayne than to Dick Grayson -- or at least, she was much closer to Batman than Robin when it came to both competence and maturity, b.) emulating Batman because she thought he was a good role model and a good influence on Gotham, not because she was trying to win Batman's approval or affection, and c.) very much her own person.

From what I recall, it was quickly established in the series that Barbara was way smarter and more competent than Dick could ever hope to be -- so much so that you just know Bruce was wondering if he could somehow talk her into being his partner while he shipped Dick off to a boarding school somewhere. [Given that Barbara didn't have the Wayne fortune to work with, and so was nowhere near as well-equipped as Bruce was, one could make the argument that Batgirl was, on the whole, a more competent crime fighter than Batman. After all, she had far fewer resources to work with and thus didn't have the luxury of being able to depend upon having a handy Bat-gadget available for every conceivable situation.]

It was pretty clear that Batman and Batgirl were attracted to each other, but it was an attraction between equals, not between a mentor/father figure and student/daughter figure.

If this is the approach they're taking in The Killing Joke, that won't be so bad, I suppose.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-27-2016), The Man (07-27-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Tellifying

Soooooo....how about that Suicide Squad, right?

I said that I'd watch this, as long as I don't have to watch BvS. But, now I'm not so sure.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 PM

I dunno. The initial reviews haven't been very good. And frankly, at this point I'm not feeling any enthusiasm for anything that Snyder has even a tangential relationship with. [Except, maybe, Wonder Woman; please let it be good; it's about time that Diana gets a movie of her own, and she deserves a good one!]

Still, Suicide Squad could turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

That having been said, the local newspaper gave Batman v. Superman 4 stars out of 4, and couldn't heap enough praise on it. Obviously, I'll never trust that reviewer again, but even he says in his most recent article that Suicide Squad doesn't look too promising.

If Suicide Squad bombs, maybe the powers that be will realize what a horrible choice Snyder has been, and put someone better in charge of the DC movie universe.
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-06-2016), The Man (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 PM

On a vaguely related note, I've never seen Supergirl, but I keep hearing good things about it. I'm thinking about buying the first season, now that it's out on blu-ray.

I've heard good things about Flash as well, and (fewer) good things about Arrow. Neither of these strikes me as likely to be worth buying on blu-ray, but I'm thinking that Supergirl might be.

Opinions?
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-05-2016), Janet (08-06-2016), The Man (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
I'm thinking about buying the first season, now that it's out on blu-ray.
I would suggest trying before buying. I enjoyed it but it's not everything I wanted in a Supergirl show. We'll have to wait and see if season 2 and a move to another network can make some improvements.

Quote:
I've heard good things about Flash as well, and (fewer) good things about Arrow. Neither of these strikes me as likely to be worth buying on blu-ray, but I'm thinking that Supergirl might be.

Opinions?
Yes to Flash. Very yes to Flash. And Arrow has been hit or miss for me. The first season was okay and improved greatly by the end of the first season. Season two was got better and then everything fell backwards in following seasons.

But let me reiterate: Flash is worth it.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-05-2016), Janet (08-06-2016), slimshady2357 (08-05-2016), Sock Puppet (08-11-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-05-2016), The Man (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Bort is very smart.

I watched Supergirl all the way through and enjoyed it. But there is that nagging feeling all the way that they could have done so much more with her. Definitely watch it though.

Flash was better for sure and pretty great overall, well worth it.

I never watched Arrow.

The nice thing about both Flash and Supergirl is that they are lighthearted and fun. Sure there are serious, dangerous, emotional bits but the overall theme is one of hope.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature