Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 08-07-2023, 10:33 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Police kept evidence from jurors in a case which led to an innocent man spending 17 years in prison for a rape he did not commit | BBC

From the linkThe police evidence included photographs of the victim's hands which showed the fingernail of the rape victim's left middle finger was noticeably shorter than her other fingernails, which corroborated her evidence that she scratched her attacker's face. [The police failure to disclose the photographs meant] Mr Malkinson's defence team was therefore unable to highlight to the jury that he had no such scratch injury to his face. [...]

Assistant Chief Constable Sarah Jackson said "we are truly sorry"
beyelzu (08-07-2023), Crumb (08-08-2023), JoeP (08-08-2023), lisarea (08-08-2023), Sock Puppet (08-07-2023), viscousmemories (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:18 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Smile Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
National Night Out, known in our household as Pig-o-Rama, is tomorrow night. It's a fun-for-the-whole-family event where cops show off their military weaponry, body armor, attack dogs, hand-to-hand combat techniques, etc. while boot-licking citizens and their offspring squeal with delight. Pretty sure Imma skip it this year. :D
I'm pretty sure I fought some people here many years ago, but police dogs go rogue and attack people A LOT. I distinctly remember at least a couple stories where they went off on children during those stupid demos.

Anyway, here's a study about that:

Six takeaways from our investigation of police dog bites | The Marshall Project
So I do think attack dogs are dangerous as they are mammals that have literally been trained to attack and then spend years in stressful environments are are around violence.

I also wonder how much if it is handlers siccing their dog on people on purpose.

> Investigations into the police department in Ferguson, Missouri, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department have both found dogs bit non-White people almost exclusively.

Or the dogs are as racist as the handlers, and I’m only sort of joking.

I’m reminded of Handler beliefs affect scent detection dog outcomes - PubMed this study that Im sure we have talked about before. Dogs pick up in nonverbal cues, if the handier is okay with the mauling going too far, it will.

Incidentally, I was looking for the above study and found a different one that failed to replicate Lit’s work.

Quote:
Together, these results suggest that handler knowledge of test parameters influences team search behavior but did not lead to changes in false alert rates in a similar manner to previous work.
But digging in, the difference is that handlers either knew if there were alert objects or they didn’t know, none were misled. The paper goes to lengths to explain why this is better

Quote:
First, Lit et al. (31) deceived handlers as to the presence of an odor which caused handlers to influence the dog's indication; however, a double blind or unknown condition is perhaps more realistic of an operational setting, when handlers are unsure of target odor presence, rather than being told by a researcher that target odors are present. Second, although more false alerts were called (i.e., the handler is the person “calling” the alerts), there was no direct behavioral observation of the dog to investigate the dog's behavior and to what degree they showed a true alert (i.e., the dog displayed the behavior trained for indicating a target odor at a specific location such that the handler can recognize).
Effect of Handler Knowledge of the Detection Task on Canine Search Behavior and Performance - PMC

I’m not saying they’re bootlickers who set out to find this result, but if I were a bootlicker who wanted to fail to replicate Lit’s result, this is a pretty good way to do it and the idea that true agnosticism when rolling up on a search is laughably naive at best.

I had more screed written that I was compiling as I read the paper. They recorded a ton of data and I frankly felt a lot of their assumptions were loaded, but I got to their discussion section. I concluded that they were trying to drill into the question that Lit was asking, and some of their data is interesting.

Quote:
Overall, the present results highlight that handler knowledge of the testing parameters influences search behavior, by increasing the search duration in a blank area and increasing the number of lookbacks to the handler by the sport dog. Importantly, however, this did not directly translate to increased rates of false alerts when the number of target odors was Unknown compared to Known. This highlights the need to consider handler knowledge in a search task, as it could lead to a handler limiting search time if the handler believes there is no odor present or extending a search because they believe something is present.
I didn’t love their open.

Quote:
It should be noted though, that we did not induce a strong bias in the handler to believe an odor was present. Perhaps, had we done so, any increased investigation time may have led to false alerts, as demonstrated by Lit et al. (31). Thus, interpretation of investigation behavior should be made cautiously, but our present results highlight that during a miss, the target odor was investigated longer than a non-target area.

In addition, analysis of the dog behavior indicated that for sport dogs only, false alerts tended to occur on average later in the search than did hits. This suggests that perhaps if a dog fails to find a target odor after a typical period of time, a false alert may become more likely.
I respected this. I personally would like to see more strongly biased dogwirk cuz I think that’s likely. I’ve known cops.

Anyway, I thought about making this Driveby science, buttfuckit.
BrotherMan (08-08-2023), Crumb (08-08-2023), lisarea (08-08-2023), slimshady2357 (08-08-2023), Sock Puppet (08-08-2023), Stephen Maturin (08-09-2023), viscousmemories (08-08-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:31 PM
Solipsist

Karl Ashanti Defended the NYPD, Then He Was Arrested

Some conflict here ...
Black guy falsely arrested in the USA.
But, lolyer.
But even more, a lolyer defending NYPD pigs.

Something about working for face-eating leopards, getting face eaten, I'm not sure.

Article is approx 20 million words and I didn't read all of them.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-11-2023), beyelzu (08-12-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-11-2023), slimshady2357 (08-12-2023), Stephen Maturin (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:55 AM
Solipsist

Kansas newspaper police raid: co-owner dies after becoming 'stressed beyond her limits' | Kansas | The Guardian

Quote:
Joan Meyer, 98, collapsed on Saturday afternoon and died at her home a day after she tearfully watched officers who showed up at her home with a search warrant cart away her computer as well as an internet router, reported the Marion County Record, which she co-owned. After officers also photographed the bank statements of her son, Record publisher Eric Meyer, and left her house in mess, Meyer had been unable to eat or sleep, her newspaper said.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-14-2023), Stephen Maturin (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 06:23 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Now we see if the town takes it like a bitch or goes Full France over this.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-14-2023), Stephen Maturin (08-14-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:29 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Gang war.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-18-2023), Ensign Steve (08-21-2023), JoeP (08-18-2023), slimshady2357 (08-18-2023), Stephen Maturin (08-21-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:29 AM
Solipsist

AI Road Cameras Catch 300 UK Drivers Breaking Law in 3 Days

AI Cops Are Bastards.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-28-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-13-2023), viscousmemories (08-28-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 07:55 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Pigs gonna pig, as usual. Kinda getting lost in the shuffle here is the department's original contention that the victim stepped into the path of a cop car going 74 miles per hour with lights and siren blazing. Turns out the lights and siren part was bullshit.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson

Last edited by Stephen Maturin; 09-13-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-14-2023), Ensign Steve (09-16-2023), JoeP (09-13-2023), slimshady2357 (09-14-2023), Sock Puppet (09-13-2023), viscousmemories (09-14-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:51 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

This is some pretty good shit. The tl;dw goes something like this:

- Weird looking investigative journalist with a Houston, TX teevee station finds out about a small town three hours north of Houston that has 249 residents and 50 COPS on its police force. Journalist decides to do some digging.

- The cops are making a fortune for the small town writing tickets to resident and passers-through alike.

- A disconcertingly high percentage of the 50 cops resigned or were shitcanned from other police agencies based on complaints for excessive force use, criminal activities, etc.

- That includes the chief of police who hired the other cops. Turns out the chief had an active DUI case against him in Florida and failed to mention that on the application he filed with the city for the chief job. He explained that he wrote down "everything that was in [his] mind" at the time he filled out the application. :yup:

- The department has a "warrants division" that functions like a collection agency. Almost all warrants division officers live in the Houston area and never set foot in the town where they "work." They're all listed as full-time police department employees, which makes them eligible for lucrative private security moonlighting work.

- Journalist interviews the mayor, who is - or at least claims to be - utterly bereft of clue regarding what's going on in his police department. It was a high-quality beclowning indeed!

- An emergency city council meeting is called. Before the meeting, Chief Drunkiepoo emails his resignation to the mayor and council members. City officials point and laugh at the resignation before shitcanning it. They will not be denied the opportunity of firing this clown.

- City council also disbands the whole city police force. The search for a new chief is under way. None of the cops there when the disbanding happened will work for this town again unless the new chief decides, case-by-case, to rehire them and city council approves each rehire.

- In the meantime, the sheriff's office for the TX county in which the town is locate will handle all the town's law enforcement. City residents are deliriously happy that policing which can most charitably be described as heavy-handed is over.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-18-2023), BrotherMan (09-19-2023), Ensign Steve (09-20-2023), JoeP (09-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-18-2023), LarsMac (09-18-2023), Pan Narrans (09-19-2023), slimshady2357 (09-20-2023), Sock Puppet (09-18-2023), specious_reasons (09-18-2023), viscousmemories (09-19-2023), Zehava (10-16-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 06:09 PM
Rambling Old Fart

That use to be SOP for Small-Town Police Departments.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:11 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Married trooper caught on camera having ex-girlfriend locked up in mental health institution, DA alleges

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (09-26-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 10:49 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Here's hoping that fucker falls into the business end of an operating wood chipper.

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (09-26-2023), viscousmemories (09-26-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 11:05 PM
Rambling Old Fart

I think that maybe he might need that "Commitment"
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he talks to a shrink.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 12:03 PM
Admin

I'm having a really hard time coming to grips with the idea of a cop demonstrating controlling, abusive behavior. Aren't they the good guys?
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-26-2023), JoeP (09-27-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:49 PM
Forum gadfly

They think they are

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-26-2023, 09:50 PM
Forum gadfly

WARNING! Video contains violent behavior and can be disturbing

Reddit link

Fuck that cop. Fuck all those cops.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Elijah McClain's killers may face justice, finally

The trial of two Denver-area police officers charged in Elijah McClain’s death resumed Tuesday as prosecutors press their case that excessive force transformed the late-night stop of the Black man in the summer of 2019 into a fatal encounter.

Criminal charges were brought in 2021 after a national racial reckoning over the murder of George Floyd by Minneapolis police galvanized criticism over law enforcement abuses against Black people and revived interest in McClain’s case.

The officers were fired after they were filmed mocking McClain by "demonstrating"the choke hold for a reporter.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (09-29-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 05:13 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Leonard Cure

2020: Exonerated after spending more than 16 years in prison for a robbery he didn't commit.

2023: Traffic stop, tased twice, beaten with a baton, then shot to death.

I'm sure video footage is on the way, once it's been properly doctored.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-19-2023), Crumb (10-19-2023), JoeP (10-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-18-2023), specious_reasons (10-18-2023), viscousmemories (10-19-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 05:46 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Aurora police officer’s actions had ‘cataclysmic effect’ on Elijah McClain, prosecutor says as manslaughter trial opens

Trial for Nathan Woodward, the second officer involved in Elijah McClain's death began yesterday.

Woodyard placed McClain in a carotid hold – a move in which an officer uses their biceps and forearm to cut off blood flow to a subject’s brain – that left McClain unconscious, according to an indictment.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-18-2023), slimshady2357 (10-19-2023), Sock Puppet (10-18-2023), Stephen Maturin (10-18-2023), viscousmemories (10-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:31 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

um9t3rwxt75c1.jpg

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-18-2023), JoeP (12-18-2023), slimshady2357 (12-18-2023), Sock Puppet (12-21-2023), viscousmemories (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:58 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

wow, that is just so classy

A while back I had a deeply surreal conversation where I pointed out that, given cops in the US, I would probably not call them on anyone for any crime I didn't think should be a capital offense, and this one guy jumped in to point out that actually police have high ethical standards, he considered trying to be a cop once so he saw the ethics questions in the interview process and they would clearly rule out bad behavior.

found it! this is from 2019, the police department "apologized" and said they were recent graduates from the academy
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023), slimshady2357 (12-18-2023), Sock Puppet (12-21-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Admin

Oops, sorry, our bad. These guys don't know how to behave yet as they just finished our training program.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-19-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:16 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Sounds like a great use case for Qualified Immunity! You can't sue cops for just directly stealing your stuff, because no court in their specific jurisdiction has yet ruled that it's a Constitutional violation for them to steal your stuff.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 05:06 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

The best part of that picture is their 'tattered' thin blue line flag, which in perfect metaphorical fashion, comes that way from the factory.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-19-2023), Ensign Steve (12-18-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-18-2023), Sock Puppet (12-21-2023), viscousmemories (12-18-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium