Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default April is Donate Life Month

Verify that you are an organ donor officially (on everything you can be listed) and discuss your wishes with your family

Give blood if you are able

Talk to others about being donors. Work to make donation the default...an opt out rather than opt in system.

Consider joining a network like LifeSharers where members in need of organs are given first priority should other members die (If there is no membership match, then it goes to the standard UNOS protocol)

Quote:
By joining LifeSharers you will help reduce the deadly organ shortage. By offering your organs first to other organ donors you create an incentive for non-donors to become donors. As more people register as organ donors, fewer people will die waiting for transplants.

By joining LifeSharers you will also make the organ transplant system fairer by helping registered organ donors get their fair share of organs. About half of the organs transplanted in the United States go to people who have not agreed to donate their own organs when they die. That's not fair, and it's one of the reasons there is such a large organ shortage
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (03-31-2013), Crumb (03-31-2013), curses (03-30-2013), Demimonde (04-06-2013), Ensign Steve (03-30-2013), lisarea (03-30-2013), livius drusus (03-31-2013), One for Sorrow (04-04-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: April is Donate Life Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Verify that you are an organ donor officially (on everything you can be listed) and discuss your wishes with your family

Give blood if you are able

Talk to others about being donors. Work to make donation the default...an opt out rather than opt in system.

Consider joining a network like LifeSharers where members in need of organs are given first priority should other members die (If there is no membership match, then it goes to the standard UNOS protocol)

Quote:
By joining LifeSharers you will help reduce the deadly organ shortage. By offering your organs first to other organ donors you create an incentive for non-donors to become donors. As more people register as organ donors, fewer people will die waiting for transplants.

By joining LifeSharers you will also make the organ transplant system fairer by helping registered organ donors get their fair share of organs. About half of the organs transplanted in the United States go to people who have not agreed to donate their own organs when they die. That's not fair, and it's one of the reasons there is such a large organ shortage

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and all that crap. Realistically my Blood isn't any good to anyone with all the medications I'm on, and my organs aren't much better, though I am listed as an organ donor on my drivers license. Good luck with that one now, it was done before the heart problems.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Your skin or eyes might could be useful, they can harvest all kinds of things.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

L.O.L. down to the last scraps, Maybe they can use the ashes.

My eyes are 66 years old and starting to go.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM
California Sober

Quote:
You say the nicest things. :skullove:
BrotherMan (03-31-2013), erimir (03-31-2013), Janet (04-04-2013), LadyShea (03-31-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

My brother got an award for donating his 500th donation to the Red Cross last month. He used to think he was #2 in the country, but when I asked if he'd surpassed the other guy yet he said there was a third guy who has been donating since the Forties so he might not even be in third anymore. Still, 500 pints is pretty awesome.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (04-07-2013), Demimonde (04-06-2013), LadyShea (04-05-2013), lisarea (04-04-2013), One for Sorrow (04-05-2013), Pan Narrans (04-05-2013), Watser? (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Fishy mokey

Rivers of blood!
Anastasia Beaverhausen (04-07-2013), Crumb (04-05-2013), LadyShea (04-05-2013), Pan Narrans (04-05-2013)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thread totally worth a necro.

Alaska bride surprised by her late son's heart recipient - BBC News

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-14-2017), Ensign Steve (07-18-2017), JoeP (07-14-2017), Stormlight (07-19-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle