Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Hi friends, just want to say happy Memorial Day. I am not here to argue, just want to say hello. I happened to be thinking about this group. I know Spacemonkey will use this as some kind of nutty reason to attack my motives, but the truth is my motives are pure. Just letting you know. :wink:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM
puzzler

Hi peacegirl! :boywave:

Congratulations on staying away from these threads for a while! I hope you've found something more fun and rewarding to fill the time you used to spend here.

Happy Memorial Day to you too!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Hi peacegirl! :boywave:

Congratulations on staying away from these threads for a while! I hope you've found something more fun and rewarding to fill the time you used to spend here.

Happy Memorial Day to you too!
Hi Ceptimus, I have to say staying away from here was the best thing for me. My father was way ahead of his time and the way this discussion went was inevitable given the fact that he was an unknown. The disrespect was difficult to handle. I have been busy with other things as well as finding an outlet for the book. I soon will be having my 5th grandchild (a girl) and will be busy helping out. On a sadder note, my 15 year old Sheepdog is failing. She had bronchitis and then some serious gastro-intestinal problems. She has lost a lot of weight. I am feeding her every few hours by hand. Now that she has overcome these two conditions (thank goodness) I hope she gains some of the weight back. She has been with me a long time (before 911) and it is hard for me to say goodbye but I know the day is not far off and I have to prepare. I hope all is well with you and yours.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Hello Peacegirl,
How are the book sales going or are you just at the stage of distribution now.

And how were your forays onto other philosophy forums?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Yup, that's the problem. If only he'd been a patent clerk or some such ...
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (05-29-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Yup, that's the problem. If only he'd been a patent clerk or some such ...
LOL, so perfect. :D
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Congrats on the new grandkid, peacegirl, :clap: and regrets on the dog. :sadcheer:

How is "Seymour Lessans" on Twitter working out for you? Beseeching the Twitterverse almost every day to check out Seymour's book and pleading for reviewers. Has that worked?

Not so well, eh? Wonder why that is.

BTW, Doc, your climate change denialism is just as stupid as Lessans' nonsense. Have you figured out yet that the models of climate change are made by scientists and not by Al Gore?
Thanks, from:
Dragar (05-29-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
BTW, Doc, your climate change denialism is just as stupid as Lessans' nonsense. Have you figured out yet that the models of climate change are made by scientists and not by Al Gore?

I think I see your problem, you really need to learn to read, I never denied Climate Change, or Global Warming, or that human activity was a factor. And isn't that another thread, you really need to learn to focus. Perhaps you're just here for a fight, if so Peacegirl would be right in ignoring you, as you have nothing substantive to add. That chip on your shoulder doesn't serve you well.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Congrats on the new grandkid, peacegirl, :clap: and regrets on the dog. :sadcheer:
Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you, that's amazing! :glare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm
How is "Seymour Lessans" on Twitter working out for you? Beseeching the Twitterverse almost every day to check out Seymour's book and pleading for reviewers. Has that worked?

Not so well, eh? Wonder why that is.
I'm not going that route because this discovery is too important to beg for reviewers who probably are not familiar with this subject matter.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

I'm sorry to hear about Zoe. We lost our 17-year-old, Buddy (the one on the right), a couple of months ago. He was 14 when we adopted him from the shelter, so he was only with us for his final 3+ years. Even so, it was and still is devastating.

Here's hoping Zoe recovers fully and has some good years left.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-28-2014), LadyShea (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I'm not going that route because this discovery is too important to beg for reviewers who probably are not familiar with this subject matter.

"not familiar with this subject matter", I can see where that would be a problem for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
I'm sorry to hear about Zoe. We lost our 17-year-old, Buddy (the one on the right), a couple of months ago. He was 14 when we adopted him from the shelter, so he was only with us for his final 3+ years. Even so, it was and still is devastating.

Here's hoping Zoe recovers fully and has some good years left.
Thank you. Why are you so horrible when we talk about my father's discovery and so nice (the real you) when we are talking about other things? First you were mean, then you were nice, then you were mean again. Even if you don't agree on something doesn't mean you have to be a jerk by attacking me to such an extent that I have nowhere to go. You and Davidm have driven me out of here. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the validity of this discovery. Your venom (for no real reason, mind you) was more than I could handle. You don't have to respond because it will only be more of the same. I'm not here for a fight, I just want you to evaluate your MO since it has hurt this thread. That's all Stephen, or whatever your real name is. :sadcheer:

Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

This thread never had a chance because of YOUR MO peacegirl. Read the first 10 pages and you'll see.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (05-29-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Indeed. The answer to your question is simple, peacegirl. You've insulted people from the beginning, and without provocation. Indeed, as has been pointed out repeatedly, no one in the thread has been more insulting than you have. You lie, and then lie about your lies. And you're incredibly hypocritical.

Then you act shocked and hurt when people don't respond positively to your insults, dishonesty, and hypocrisy.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (05-29-2014), LadyShea (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
This thread never had a chance because of YOUR MO peacegirl. Read the first 10 pages and you'll see.
As Mr. Pea correctly wrote over three years ago, "The secret to world peace is to be really patronizing and evasive, and then to get butthurt and insult people when they call you on it." :yup:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-28-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (05-29-2014), Dragar (05-29-2014), Kael (05-30-2014), LadyShea (05-28-2014), Spacemonkey (05-29-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No LadyShea, that's a cop out. What this group has tried to do is pigeonhole me as a faith based nutcase and proceed to try to prove it. If I have not proven to your satisfaction that the eyes are not a sense organ because, in your mind, I haven't answered all of the questions posed, does not mean my father was wrong in his observations. And it certainly doesn't justify the name calling and vitriol that came my way.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The answer to your question is simple, peacegirl. You've insulted people from the beginning, and without provocation. Indeed, as has been pointed out repeatedly, no one in the thread has been more insulting than you have. You lie, and then lie about your lies. And you're incredibly hypocritical.

Then you act shocked and hurt when people don't respond positively to your insults, dishonesty, and hypocrisy.
No matter what you accuse me of does not change the fact that my father's observations were spot on even though you don't think I have proven it adequately. This entire thread could have been reduced to a few posts where people either found the claims interesting and were willing to hold back any judgment before the facts were in, or reject the claims at the very outset and leave this thread. But this is not what happened. I got personally attacked and my poor father (who did nothing but make a discovery) got attacked as well. Neither me or my father deserved this. And what if it turns out that he was right? What then? Would I still be a hypocrite and dishonest? As far as insults go, I have not insulted anyone close to the way I have been insulted. This just shows how completely one-sided the people in here are. This is not free thought which I've said all along.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No LadyShea, that's a cop out. What this group has tried to do is pigeonhole me as a faith based nutcase and proceed to try to prove it.
No, what you yourself have clearly demonstrated is that you are a faith based nutcase, and have proven it to everyone conclusively.

Quote:
If I have not proven to your satisfaction that the eyes are not a sense organ because, in your mind, I haven't answered all of the questions posed, does not mean my father was wrong in his observations. And it certainly doesn't justify the name calling and vitriol that came my way.
The name calling and vitriol have been justified by your behavior and your own name calling and vitriol...present from day one.

Lessans ideas are laughable, not angering. Your weaseling is angering.
Thanks, from:
Cynthia of Syracuse (05-29-2014), Spacemonkey (05-29-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM

You were insulting people -- without provocation, mind you -- on your very first day. Because they committed the "sin" of not swallowing your amazing and wholly unsupported claims on pure faith. When people politely asked you to provide some evidence -- or at least a coherent explanation -- for your claims, you jumped right to the insults and the "Why are you being so mean to me?" hysterics.
Thanks, from:
Cynthia of Syracuse (05-29-2014), Dragar (05-29-2014), LadyShea (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
And what if it turns out that he was right? What then? Would I still be a hypocrite and dishonest? .
If it turns out he was right then...we will say "Oh he was right". You will still be a weaseling, lying, hypocrite because you have weaseled and lied and been hypocritical. Whether Lessans is right or wrong doesn't change the nature of your actions.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (05-29-2014), Stephen Maturin (05-29-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
None, because this discovery has not been studied by scientists that could confirm its validity.
I did not find any testable hypotheses in the first 2 chapters. It's very much a philosophical, and somewhat theological, piece, not a scientific one.

What kind of tests are you imagining could be done?
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't mean for you to copy and paste it for people to read, but to clarify your answers to our questions or to highlight specific passages during discussion.

We want you to discuss the piece. Make an argument based on your reading and interpretation and answer questions. This is what they wanted at Philosophy forums too and ended up locking the thread.

The writing doesn't stand on its own as well as you seem to think it does (the dialog with imaginary persons is very distracting for one thing), so you may be called upon to present the info in another way, explain things etc.

Are you willing to do that?
I can't seem to satisfy the people in here. They make it so difficult. I gave away the book for free. I put it online after 30 years of an author's hard work, and all you have to say is that two pages is too much for you to handle, and this thread will be locked? Well, so be it.
I asked very reasonable questions and you got angry and petulant. Day one.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (05-29-2014), The Lone Ranger (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No LadyShea, that's a cop out. What this group has tried to do is pigeonhole me as a faith based nutcase and proceed to try to prove it.
No, what you yourself have clearly demonstrated is that you are a faith based nutcase, and have proven it to everyone conclusively.

Quote:
If I have not proven to your satisfaction that the eyes are not a sense organ because, in your mind, I haven't answered all of the questions posed, does not mean my father was wrong in his observations. And it certainly doesn't justify the name calling and vitriol that came my way.
The name calling and vitriol have been justified by your behavior and your own name calling and vitriol...present from day one.
You can look back and see for yourself who was doing the name calling. Stop defending your friends. It's so obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Lessans ideas are laughable, not angering. Your weaseling is angering.
One day you'll eat your words, that is, if this discovery is recognized in your lifetime. If not, he will still be vindicated.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
None, because this discovery has not been studied by scientists that could confirm its validity.
I did not find any testable hypotheses in the first 2 chapters. It's very much a philosophical, and somewhat theological, piece, not a scientific one.

What kind of tests are you imagining could be done?
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't mean for you to copy and paste it for people to read, but to clarify your answers to our questions or to highlight specific passages during discussion.

We want you to discuss the piece. Make an argument based on your reading and interpretation and answer questions. This is what they wanted at Philosophy forums too and ended up locking the thread.

The writing doesn't stand on its own as well as you seem to think it does (the dialog with imaginary persons is very distracting for one thing), so you may be called upon to present the info in another way, explain things etc.

Are you willing to do that?
I can't seem to satisfy the people in here. They make it so difficult. I gave away the book for free. I put it online after 30 years of an author's hard work, and all you have to say is that two pages is too much for you to handle, and this thread will be locked? Well, so be it.
I asked very reasonable questions and you got angry and petulant. Day one.
You know the reason I got petulant, right? This whole thing boils down to whether observation and reasoning count as scientific. Just because empiricisim is one way to learn what is true, it isn't the only way. Again, time will tell whether Lessans was a crackpot or a genius.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Examples of your appalling behavior the first few days you were here. Already weaseling, evading, then whining about it.

Quote:
Quote:
I have bent over backwards to offer the book for free.
I linked to your posting of the book on someone else's forum. I gave you sound advice on how to prevent hostility and suspicion in your introductions.

Go to Blogger, sign up for free, and post the book.

Quote:
I have to constantly meet everyone's demands to prove this discovery on the spot, without them having read any of the book.
Nobody has asked you to prove anything. All anyone has asked you is to answer questions and paraphrase and describe the concept. This is how people present new ideas and theories. If they know the material inside and out they have no problem defending it, tailoring their explanations to their audience, and inserting it into hypotheticals to see if it stands up to scrutiny.

I have read a fairly large portion of the book and the concept is not clear. It's a lot of assertion.

Quote:
This is an unfair expectation.
The pretend expectation you think we have of your providing empirical proof is unfair yes. The very real expectations we have that you can present it and defend it is not unfair. That is expected from everyone from students to attorneys to doctors to theologians to philosophers to business people.

Quote:
Yes, I have studied the book, and yes I know that this man has a discovery. If you can't meet me halfway by going to the book itself to get most of your answers, then the discussion is, sorry to say, doomed.
I am not finding the answers in the book. The concept which is very clear to you is not clear to me, and apparently to others.

You are the one trying to get people to accept the idea as revolutionary, therefore it is your responsibility to make cogent arguments and respond clearly to questions. What you are doing instead is the True Believer shuffle of deflection and blaming the listener.

Yes, you are doomed to this cycle of fruitless discussion because you either will not or cannot learn how these types of discussions are supposed to work, and you have chosen audiences that tend to require similar rules of discourse.

If you want to present information to people, you have to do it in a way they will listen to, which many have specifically told you how to do that, or you need to find an audience that doesn't have these types of expectations for intellectual discourse, namely the Woos.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
But Peacegirl is the High Priestess and chief prophitess of Lessanology, the savior of all the earth and mankind. Someday when Lessans new world order comes in, we'll have the best damned spaghetti and meatballs every Monday for supper, but no mashed potatoes, unless you like that sort of thing.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy