Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

View Poll Results: Which are the best quotes from this film?
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know that Henry knows, and Henry knows we know it. We're a knowledgeable family." - Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany 1 16.67%
"The sky's pocked with stars. What eyes the Wise Men must have had, to find a new one in so many. Perhaps there were fewer stars then ... I fancy there's a mystery in it." - Henry II (Henri d'Anjou) 0 0%
"Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives. It's 1183 and we're Bah-barians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine 2 33.33%
"Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war ... We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten." - E 2 33.33%
"All around me, kings, queens, knights, and I'm the only pawn. I haven't got a thing to lose. That makes me dangerous." - Alais 0 0%
"If you're to be King, there's hope for every ape in Africa." - Geoffrey 0 0%
[To an ornate necklace] "I'd hang you from the nipples. But you'd shock the children." - Eleanor 2 33.33%
"You're not an assassin!" - Eleanor "I've never heard a corpse ask why it got so cold. Where do you think I learned this from?" - Richard (later, the "Lionhearted") 0 0%
"Don't everybody sob at once. My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who would -- pee on me to put the fire out!" - John "Let's strike a flint and see." - Richard 1 16.67%
"How was your crossing? Did the Channel part for you?" - Henry "It went flat when I told it to. I didn't think to ask for more." - Eleanor 3 50.00%
"We're jungle creatures, Henry, and the dark is all around us. See them? In the corners, you can see the eyes." - Eleanor "And they can see ours." - Henry 0 0%
"Her eyes in certain light were violet, and all her teeth were even. That's a rare, fair feature: even teeth. She smiled to excess, but she chewed with real distinction." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"You hardly know me, Johnny, so I beg you to believe my reputation: I’m a constant soldier, a sometime poet ... and I will be King." - Richard 0 0%
"How dear of you to let me out of jail." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"And Eleanor?" - Alais "The New Medusa, my wife? How many men do you know who dungeon up their wives? I haven't kept the Great Bitch in the keep out of passionate attachment." - Henry 0 0%
"I’ve snapped and plotted all my life. There’s no other way to be a king, alive and fifty all at the same time." - Henry 1 16.67%
"It’s a heavy thing, your nothing. When I write or send for you or speak or reach, your nothings come. Like stones." - Eleanor 0 0%
"He's not going to see me beg." - Richard Why, you chivalric fool -- as if the way one fell down mattered. - Geoffrey "When the fall is all there is, it matters.” 1 16.67%
"I could peel you like a pear, and God Himself would call it justice." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"Well ‒ what shall we hang? The holly or each other?" - Henry 1 16.67%
"Whatever can you have gotten me? [Shakes present] It's my tombstone! Eleanor, you spoil me." - Henry 1 16.67%
"He came down from the North to Paris with a mind like Aristotle's and a form like mortal sin. We shattered the Commandments on the spot." - Eleanor 0 0%
"Just give me a little peace." - Henry "A little? Why so modest? How about eternal peace? Now, there's a thought." - Eleanor 2 33.33%
"So the Royal Corkscrew finds me twisted, does he?" - Richard 0 0%
"Child, in a world where carpenters get resurrected, everything is possible." - Eleanor 0 0%
""I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled." - Eleanor 2 33.33%
"You love nothing. You are incomplete. The human parts of you are missing. You're as dead as you're deadly." - Richard 0 0%
"I am sorry you're not fonder of me, lad. Your father always said, 'Be fond of stronger men.'" - Henry No wonder he loved everyone." - Philip 0 0%
"Dear me, whatever is to be done with Mother?" - Eleanor 0 0%
"I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody." - Henry "At my age there's not much traffic anymore." - Eleanor 0 0%
"I adored you. I still do." - Eleanor "Of all the lies you've told, that is the most terrible." - Henry "I know. That's why I've saved it up until now." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"There's no sense asking if the air is good if there's nothing else to breathe." - Henry 1 16.67%
"What kind of spindly, ricket-ridden, milky, wizened, dim-eyed, gammy-handed, limpy line of things will you beget?" - Eleanor 0 0%
"The day those stout hearts band together is the day that pigs get wings." - Henry "There'll be pork in the treetops come morning." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"I have a confession." - Eleanor "Yes?" - Henry "I don't much like our children." 2 33.33%
"Rosamund's been dead for seven years..." - Henry "...two months and eighteen days. I never liked her much." "You count the days?" "I made the numbers up." 1 16.67%
"Henry's bed is Henry's province. He can people it with sheep for all I care, which on occasion he has done." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"Hush dear, mother's fighting." - Eleanor 1 16.67%
"We're in the cellar and you're going back to prison and my life is wasted and we've lost each other... and you're smiling." - Henry "It's the way I register despair." - Eleanor 0 0%
"I'm vilifying you for God's sake - pay attention!" - Henry 1 16.67%
"Oh Henry, we've mangled every thing we touch." - Eleanor "Deny us what you will, we have done that." - Henry 1 16.67%
"You're not mine! We're not connected! I deny you! None of you will get my crown, I leave you nothing and I wish you plague! May all your children breach and die!" - Henry 0 0%
"What we do in dungeons needs the shades of day. I stole the candles from the chapel. Jesus won't begrudge them and the chaplain works for me." – Henry 0 0%
[While being jostled out of the way] “Cluck.” – :chicken: 2 33.33%
There is no Poland quote in this film. :neverforgetpoland: 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2023, 01:47 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Default Best Quotes from The Lion In Winter, detractors will be

Since this is Christmas, I'm dumping a goodly portion of quotes from The Lion In Winter. (It takes place during Xmas, there are presents, it's a goddamned Xmas movie.) I mentioned some time ago that I quote this movie as often as most other geeks quote The Princess Bride.

I'll put them in poll entries so that this world in small that is :ff: can vote for the best ones. In no particular order, I'm typing these from memory, except for the ones I copied from various online sources, because no matter the season, I'm always lazy. It's conceivable that I could have something wrong here and there.

If this is too :tldr: for you, I invite you to shut the fuck up.

P.S. - Your Mom doesn't see the poll.

ETA: I don't know how to edit the choices to add the missing word in the first Richard quote. Should be, "Where do you think I learned this from?" (I learned it from YOU, Dad! Mom! I LEARNED IT FROM YOU)

Bonus ETA: the thrad title should read: “detractors can say it to my horse’s arse.”

:sockpuppet:...........

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 12-23-2023 at 10:56 PM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-23-2023), ChuckF (12-23-2023), Ensign Steve (12-27-2023), JoeP (12-23-2023), LarsMac (12-24-2023), vremya (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 03:21 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Default Re: Best Quotes from The Lion In Winter, detractors will be

Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten.
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 06:10 AM
mesospheric bore

How long is the poll open for? I'll have to watch the damn thing first won't I?
Sock Puppet (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:47 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
ETA: I don't know how to edit the choices to add the missing word in the first Richard quote. Should be, "Where do you think I learned this from?"
Looks fine to me :innocent2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
How long is the poll open for?
As it stands, indefinitely.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
fragment (12-23-2023), Sock Puppet (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 04:18 PM
Crafty Agitator

My favorite Christmas movie!
Sock Puppet (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
How long is the poll open for? I'll have to watch the damn thing first won't I?
Make sure to watch the original, with Katherine Hepburn and Peter O’Toole, not the remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart. The latter is a good effort, especially by Glenn Close, but still a ghostly pale imitation of the original.

Thanks, from:
fragment (12-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:05 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Just so you know, as soon as I saw this thread last night I advised that we are watching this again, and we're going to start it in just a few minutes.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-23-2023), Sock Puppet (12-23-2023), vremya (12-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten.
I had included the full quote, but it was too many characters.

Thanks, from:
ChuckF (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:11 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
I had included the full quote, but it was too many characters.
Of course there's a character limit, there's always a character limit, they all have character limits! It's 2023 and we're on vBulletin 3.8.2.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-23-2023), Sock Puppet (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:26 PM
puzzler

I've never seen it, but I've ordered a DVD (remember those ?) Probably won't receive it before the new year though.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:46 PM

And as for getting the DVD, we'll see the Second Coming first. The packaging alone can last for years.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:54 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Before I vote I would like to personally thank you on behalf of our good neighbor, Poland.
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (12-25-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium