Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Alert Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

Herein I declare that Agent Phil Coulson is the Lord and Clark Gregg to be His holy vessel and Whedon the holy prophet of this new age. I will also go on record stating that without either Clark Gregg or Agent Coulson, everything that Marvel Studios has worked for would not be nearly as successful.

Today, Tuesday September the 24th in the year of our Coul, to be one of the holy days. For it is today that Marvel's Agents of SHIELD was first broadcast.

I'm not going to talk about the first episode in this here post out of respect for our brothers and sisters who live to the east, beyond the small ocean. If one must speak words of praise (or heaven forbid, words of rage) then I beseech you to be mindful of who may have seen and who may have not beheld and when such things have happened.

The setting and plot is thus: This is a post Chitauri world. What happened in New York during the Avengers has changed a lot of things. It is also a very Marvel universe. People are super talented and singularly motivated. I speak specifically of the very pretty people who are amazingly good at what they do. There is powerful magic, terrible technology and diabolical people willing to employ one or all of it to their nefarious ends.

The main players:
  • Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson (pbuh)
  • Ming Na Wen as Melinda May - a multi-talented agent trying to distance herself from some event in her past.
  • Brett Dalton as Grant Ward - an agent who scored almost as well as Black Widow in some field and psych tests.
  • Chloe Bennet as Skye - overly capable computer hacker as keen on discovering other people's secrets as she is trying to keep her own.
  • Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz - Britlander tech geek.
  • Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons - Britlander biology geek.
  • Lola - Agent Coulson's (pbuh) fancy "new and improved" 1962 Corvette.

There are a few loverly uncredited (according to IMDB as yet) surprises that I simply will not give away no matter how much you beg me.

Before I talk about the Pilot episode I will likely watch it at least one more time but feel free to geek up this thrad with either Marvel's Agents of SHIELD talk, praise for Agent Coulson (pbuh) or, to be inclusive to the Marvelverse, anything relating to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD or the greater cinematic Marvel Universe. The Marvel Cinematic Universe includes any Marvel Studios movie or now television show. Marvel based properties handled by other studios (boo, hiss -ed) can be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-26-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-25-2013), Crumb (09-25-2013), Demimonde (09-25-2013), Dragar (07-15-2014), Janet (09-25-2013), Leesifer (09-30-2013), livius drusus (09-25-2013), Miisa (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

I hereby declare that I liked the first episode of SHIELD. I was highly dubious of Ming Na Wen but thankfully they've given her the flinty wounded warrior gig which leads to clenched stoicism and crisp violence rather than cheesy emoting.

The structure looks solid, the characters fine, the toys fun, Coulson (please Jossgod let him be RoboCoulson) dreamy. They just have to avoid contracting deadly Heroes syndrome. That's my biggest concern going forward.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-26-2013), BrotherMan (09-25-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-25-2013), Janet (09-25-2013), Leesifer (09-30-2013), Qingdai (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013), wei yau (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The greater nerdverse has been talking about what happened that took Coulson (pbuh) from dead back to alive. It's already been hinted at in the very first episode. But you know this is the child of Whedon. And as we all know you just can't go around expecting the expected from Whedon. I know what you're wanting but I can't help but want Whedon to bite his thumb at the greater nerdverse, at least on this. I won't be hurt or offended if it doesn't happen my way, but maybe just a little sad. That same little sadness where I keep all the things I loved that Joss has already killed in some way or another.

One of the things that occurred to me which led me to declaring the importance of Gregg and Coulson to the MCU is that even from the very beginning he seemed like a character that Whedon would have created on his own. Think on that. From the inception of the MCU with Iron Man there he was. I don't know when Whedon was brought in to work on the Avengers but I'm p sure it wasn't from the beginning.

I know I said I'd watch the show at least one more time before really talking about it, but I have to mention a moment I loved. In that pivotal scene at the end of the scene at the train station Agent Coulson (pbuh) walks in and I see he's carrying his gun. I said to myself, but probably out loud, He wouldn't/shouldn't be carrying his gun like that! and then he goes and sets it down on the ground. I got all :wriggle: and That's my Phil! :wriggle:
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (09-25-2013), Janet (09-25-2013), livius drusus (09-25-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

I think that was one of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen for an action series.

Whedon, with a budget and a network on his side, is unstoppable.
Adam (09-26-2013), BrotherMan (09-25-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Janet (09-26-2013), livius drusus (09-25-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

:brooding:

It is on my DVR, but I have not watched it yet. We have determined that this will be one of "our" shows, but we weren't both un-busy at the same time long enough to watch last night. So, I cannot read this thrad, and it is TORTURE.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-25-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:glare: @ Demi

Otherwise, Demi is very smart and I agree with everything she says.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Leesifer (09-30-2013), livius drusus (09-25-2013), Qingdai (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013), Zehava (09-29-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I missed the first twenty minutes because I work until 8:00. I will catch up with it at some point soon.

One bit of trivia I do want to share. Iain De Caestecker, Britlander tech geek, played Ken Barlow's grand-child Adam briefly on Coronation Street, back when he was a child actor. Linus Roache at one point played Ken Barlow's son, well, twice really with different sons. It's complicated.* Anyway, Linus Roache played Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins so that means that Marvel's Britlander tech geek is Batman's cousins, according to my personal rules.

*If you care about the details:

"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-25-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), livius drusus (09-25-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Scattered thoughts and musings, spoilered not necessarily for content but just to be safe so as not to offend Adem's sensibilities or anger the weekend admin.

The I'm not ready to unspoiler gist: I enjoyed it, but remember I am one of the great unwashed Whedon fanborts. Agent Coulson's Marvel's Agents of Agent Coulson's SHIELD was a solid start. Some good moments, fun dialog, quirky characters and so many loads of potential I just can't stand it. You know, what we in the biz call typical Whedon.

Also, I'm just waiting for pictures of the porcupoop to make its way onto the web.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-26-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Demimonde (09-25-2013), Janet (09-26-2013), Leesifer (09-30-2013), livius drusus (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Just watched it for the second time with Contra. That's some good TV watching.

One thing jumped out at me on the second viewing.

Adam (09-26-2013), BrotherMan (09-26-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Janet (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Tellifying

I got a lot to say, but more than I can type on this tablet.

I will tell you my favorite fanboy shout out....when Simmons welcomed Ward to their "journey into mystery"
Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 PM

In Which Adem, the One True Heir of House Gorden, Goes Against the Grain and is All, Like, "Meh"

I went into this keeping my expectations deliberately low, and I definitely did not dislike it. But, I'm not hyped up about it, either. After discounting for this being the pilot, with all that entails, I am cautiously optimistic. The premise has strong potential, and there were lots of good ideas and interesting themes flying around, but the execution turned me off in two ways.

So, I guess overall, I thought it was just OK, but it appears to have laid the foundation for something better, and I'm interested to see where it goes.

Edit: I think my biggest fear for this show is that it's going to end up in my sour spot, where it's not good enough for me to nerd out about (like, say, Battlestar Galactica, or Heroes or Lost in their better seasons), but also not bad enough for me to enjoy snarking about (like, say, Smallville, or Heroes or Lost in their worst seasons). I'm afraid it's going to be like that last season of Heroes, where it wasn't actively horrible to the point where I had a good time ripping into it, but it also wasn't good enough to watch for non-snark-related reasons.

Last edited by Adam; 09-26-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spoilers b/c I forgot Ingerland hasn't gotten the show yet
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-26-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Crumb (09-26-2013), Demimonde (09-26-2013), Janet (09-26-2013), Leesifer (09-30-2013), livius drusus (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

It's okay, Adom. We don't shun disbelievers here. We just love and tolerate them until they are one of us.

:twilightsparkle:

eta:
I suppose I should be more than just glib. I don't disagree with anything you state as problems or hurdles or just annoying parts. I feel almost as positive about what I've seen as I did with Firefly all those years ago. It has its flaws but I see more potential than problems with the cast and the writing and where I think the show wants to go.
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-26-2013), chunksmediocrites (09-26-2013), Crumb (09-26-2013), Demimonde (09-26-2013), Janet (09-26-2013), livius drusus (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I feel almost as positive about what I've seen as I did with Firefly all those years ago. It has its flaws but I see more potential than problems with the cast and the writing and where I think the show wants to go.
I think I'm at a disadvantage, because I cannot actually remember how I first received Firefly. I seem to remember finding the characters more fully fleshed out right from the start, BUT, I came way late to that party, and watched the whole thing on DVD over the course of a weekend, so it's possible, if not probable, that I'm misremembering how I felt about them after three or four episodes as being the way I felt about them after just the pilot. AND ALSO, DVD's meant I watched Firefly in the order nature and Whedon intended, not the order mandated by network television, and therefore saw the real pilot first.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-26-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Ya Firefly has no flaws.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-26-2013), Dingfod (09-27-2013), The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The first episode of Firefly was the Train Job. It starts with bar fight over something I knew not what at the time. The next thing I know they're stealing stuff off a train - a train that floats over rails - from a space ship. I felt pretty good about being hooked right then but the episode only got better from there. The series proper was the reason the phrase "like catching lightning in a bottle" was coined.

Agent Coulson's Marvel's Agents of Agent Coulson's SHIELD wasn't quite that euphoric for me, but I will admit to some level of exultation. But that's likely due to some combination of Whedon back on TV, Avengers contact high and comic books on television.
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-02-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Tellifying

The thing is, Adem is kinda right. I love the setting and the universe, but the premiere episode was kinda "meh". I thought the pacing was a bit off and that the concepts were a bit predictable.

Although, Adem is wrong about Ming Na...because Joy Luck still makes me cry everytime I watch it.

I am going to stick with the show, of course, though I share liv's fear of "Heroes". For me, the big draw here is Coulson (obviously) and catching Marvel Universe Easter Eggs (of which, they should plant a whole lot more)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 AM

You know I share your love of the Joy Luck Club, but Ming Wa was the weak link in an otherwise exceptional strong cast chain.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Tellifying

But, but .... she has best quality heart.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I thought the pretty boy was weak, myself. I wasn't that thrilled with the pilot, but I'm going to give it a chance to impress me. I watch and enjoy a lot of Whedon's work, but I wouldn't call myself a fangirl. I usually enter into it with a grain of salt, and I do tire of the kickass small woman trope.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Agent Coulson will save us. Agent Coulson will save them. Agent Coulson will save all the things.

Also, I'm calling it.

Thanks, from:
Janet (09-28-2013), The Man (10-02-2013), wei yau (09-28-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm not going to say anything important right now. The Bus' call sign tho: Shield 616 gave me a :wriggle:.

For those not in the know.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-04-2013), The Man (10-02-2013), wei yau (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Meh. Took it off my DVR schedule, switched over to The Voice.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

THANKS ALOT ADOM. YOU HAVE OFFICIALLY RUINET THE SHOW FOR ME.

Tune in next week for SOMETHING.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-03-2013), chunksmediocrites (10-04-2013), Crumb (10-02-2013), Leesifer (10-07-2013), Qingdai (10-04-2013), The Man (10-04-2013), wei yau (10-06-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 AM

So, yah, this second episode definitely fell into that sour spot I was talking about. It wasn't bad, exactly, but it wasn't all that good either. If it didn't have the Marvel Filmverse brand attached, I wouldn't be watching it, and that makes Agent Coulson sad.

Case of the week isn't a horrible format, but the cases have to actually be interesting. Why do I care about some vaguely described Hydra weapon or whatever?

And also, Bort is totally right about Coulson being a horrible team leader. It bugged me last week when he was all "It's your fault if you can't do this impossible thing!" and it's not getting any better. Share. Information. Dude.

I did like the...

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-04-2013), Leesifer (10-07-2013), The Man (10-04-2013), wei yau (10-06-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Some notes to try and look for the light at the other side of the tunnel: You should be used to Whedonish stuff by now, Adams. We have to endure some of the MacGuffin of the week episodes, holding on to whatever little arcing plots are scattered throughout. I'm hoping this is like the first season of Buffy - a few moments of potential mired in a lot of trying to find its footing, followed by a couple of seasons of excellence.

Though my faith in the prophet Whedon was tarnished a bit (okay, a lot) by Dollhouse, playing in the MCU is really something he can be great at. Nobody has said anything (in what little I actually read about the goings on off-screen) but I can't help but think despite his golden ticket performance of the Avengers, it's entirely possible the PTB of Disney/ABC are keeping him on a medium leash.

But then, I could just be looking to make excuses on why this thing that should be balls out awesome is only just okay. I wanted to believe that I didn't have much in the way of expectations here, but I may have distorted expectations because of how great I think the Marvel Studios have been converting comics to the big screen. Also, the big wanting of Whedon back on TV, hoping for the lightning of Buffy/Angel/Firefly to strike again.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-04-2013), Qingdai (10-04-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature