Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Default "Technology as Extension of the Human Body"

“Technology as Extension of the Human Body”

When most people contact one another there is only a combining of exteriors. Few occasions develop when two people make a significant contact of interiors. James Baldwin put it succinctly when he said “mirrors can only lie”. The mirror exposes only the exterior and says nothing about the interior; I find that, as I grow older, I have less and less exterior about which to communicate and communication about the interior seems much easier with total strangers on the Internet than with those close to me.

Marshall McLuhan “The High Priest of Pop-Culture” in the mid twentieth century was the first to announce the existence of the ‘global village’ and to express that “we become what we behold”. McLuhan sought to understand and express the effects of technology on modern culture.

McLuhan was particularly interested in “Technology as Extension of the Human Body”. “An extension occurs when an individual or society makes or uses something in a way that extends the range of the human body and mind in a fashion that is new. The shovel we use for digging holes is a kind of extension of the hands and feet. The spade is similar to the cupped hand, only it is stronger, less likely to break, and capable of removing more dirt per scoop than the hand. A microscope or telescope is a way of seeing that is an extension of the eye.”

Going further in this vein the auto is an extension of the foot. However there are negative results from all such extensions. “Amputations” represent the unintended and un-reflected counterparts of such extensions.

“Every extension of mankind, especially technological extensions, has the effect of amputating or modifying some other extension… The extension of a technology like the automobile "amputates" the need for a highly developed walking culture, which in turn causes cities and countries to develop in different ways. The telephone extends the voice, but also amputates the art of penmanship gained through regular correspondence. These are a few examples, and almost everything we can think of is subject to similar observations…We have become people who regularly praise all extensions, and minimize all amputations. McLuhan believed that we do so at our own peril.”

McLuhan was concerned about man's willful blindness to the downside of technology. In his later years McLuhan developed a scientific basis for his thought around what he termed the tetrad. The tetrad is four laws, framed as questions, which give us a useful instrument for studying our culture.
"What does it (the medium or technology) extend?"
"What does it make obsolete?"
"What is retrieved?"
"What does the technology reverse into if it is over-extended?"

McLuhan’s gravestone carries the inscription “The Truth Shall Make You Free." We do not have to like or even agree with everything that McLuhan said. However, we would be wise to remember that his was a life of great insight and it was dedicated to showing wo/man the truth about the world we live in, and especially the hidden consequences of the technologies we develop.

In the book “The Birth and Death of Meaning” Earnest Becker provides us with a synthesis of the knowledge about the extensions of the human body that McLuhan spoke of and science certified through research.

Becker informs us that the “self” is in the body but is not part of the body; it is symbolic and is not physical. “The body is an object in the field of the self: it is one of the things we inhabit…A person literally projects or throws himself out of the body, and anywhere at all…A man’s “Me” is the sum total of all that he can call his, not only his body and his mind, but his clothes and house, his wife and children, [etc].” The human can be symbolically located wherever s/he thinks part of her really exists or belongs.

It is said that the more insecure we are the more important these symbolic extensions of the self become. When we invest undue value onto such matters as desecrating a piece of cloth that symbolizes our nation is an indication that our self-valuation has declined and this overvaluation of a symbol can help compensate that loss. We get a good feeling about own value by placing value in the pseudopod (Pod—an anatomical pouch) as the flag.

In conceiving our self as a container that overflows with various and important extensions that our technology provides us we might appear like a giant amoeba spread out over the land with a center in the self. These pseudopods are not just patriotic symbols and important things but include silly things such as a car or a neck tie. We can experience nervous breakdowns when others do not respect our particular objects of reverence.

Do you think of yourself as being extended as a result of using technology? Do you think such extensions are a representation of reality? Do you think that consciousness of such claims to be useful?

Some quotes from:
Marshall McLuhan: "The Medium is the Message"
Old 03-15-2008, 01:42 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Default Re: "Technology as Extension of the Human Body"

I need a new necktie. :yup:
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM

No soap, radio!

--J.D.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
no fact/value split

Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post

Do you think of yourself as being extended as a result of using technology? Do you think such extensions are a representation of reality? Do you think that consciousness of such claims to be useful?
No but I actually get several internet offers a day for this very thing. :eek:
Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 PM
no fact/value split

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodPossessed View Post
Quote:

Now that I've been a smartass, I do have a thought or two about the OP. I was at a luncheon on Friday that Dr. John Lennox, a Reader of Mathematics at Oxford, spoke at. Lennox also has several other graduate degrees, one of which is Bioethics. Part of Lennox's talk was about the physical combining of man and machine, as well as, man and animal. Lennox said that a colleague of his stated "make no mistake John, we will build a man." Lennox told us that they, so far, had made a few steps towards building a virus, molecule by molecule. In England, researchers have the green light to combine some human and animal cells. I'm sure that some very interesting ethical questions will arise from all of this.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now that I've been a smartass, I do have a thought or two about the OP. I was at a luncheon on Friday that Dr. John Lennox, a Reader of Mathematics at Oxford, spoke at. Lennox also has several other graduate degrees, one of which is Bioethics. Part of Lennox's talk was about the physical combining of man and machine, as well as, man and animal. Lennox said that a colleague of his stated "make no mistake John, we will build a man." Lennox told us that they, so far, had made a few steps towards building a virus, molecule by molecule. In England, researchers have the green light to combine some human and animal cells. I'm sure that some very interesting ethical questions will arise from all of this.
One major problem with technology is what is amputated as a result of technology. I suspect that these hand held phones with and text transmission will seriously diminish reading and writing skills. Just as TV and Internet has diminished reading ob books. These forms of technology will make us less literate I suspect. Just as the auto has made us fat.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
no fact/value split

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One major problem with technology is what is amputated as a result of technology. I suspect that these hand held phones with and text transmission will seriously diminish reading and writing skills. Just as TV and Internet has diminished reading ob books. These forms of technology will make us less literate I suspect. Just as the auto has made us fat.
Agreed. Also, competence in the tradition of oral history was almost certainly "amputated" as a result of its displacement by written history. I doubt very many, these days, could picture a substantially accurate transmission of spoken and memorized history. Chronological snobbery at its height.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
“Technology as Extension of the Human Body”

James Baldwin put it succinctly when he said “mirrors can only lie”. The mirror exposes only the exterior and says nothing about the interior;...
Not only that but it is a reversed image.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
you're next

and our mind is a cutter.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
S-Class Youkai, Makai inhabitant

I think of technology as of our own way to quicken the evolution, which, for us, seems too slow in consideration of our short lives. So, when the circumstances change, we make inventions to adjust easier. For example, we invented the heater in order to survive low temperatures we weren't accustomed to when we moved to colder areas. In fact, starting to use fire was also a simple form of invention. So, I suppose, availing ourselves of our enviroment is a human feature. I don't see technology as a part of myself, I rather see it as something that makes it easier for me to get along.

But I think the promblem is that we're often not really ready for some of the inventions yet and misuse them.
The problem might have something to do with our society and the different levels of development. So, for example, an intelligent person invents explosive for something useful and those who are less developed (and wouldn't have been able to invent it themselves) take it and use it to kill eachother instead.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Also, competence in the tradition of oral history was almost certainly "amputated" as a result of its displacement by written history. I doubt very many, these days, could picture a substantially accurate transmission of spoken and memorized history. Chronological snobbery at its height.
godpossessed

Agreed. The important question to ponder is what is amputated by any extension. You have pointed out an important consideration.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Flipper 11/11

Quote:
Yes. I don't think it's just the extension of the body, however, but also the mind.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:
Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacchus View Post
Quote:
Yes. I don't think it's just the extension of the body, however, but also the mind.

I agree. The effect of new technology is concentrated within how we conceive and perceive reality more than how its effects are displayed in our physical characteristics. Technology affects our habits greatly.

What is character? Character is the network of habits that permeate all the intentional acts of an individual.

My understanding of character and the quotations that follow concerning the nature of character are taken from “Habits and Will” by John Dewey http://www.alexandercenter.com/jd/johndeweyhabits.html.

I am not using the word habit in the way we often do, as a technical ability existing apart from our wishes. These habits are an intimate and fundamental part of our selves. They are representations of our will. They rule our will, working in a coordinated way they dominate our way of acting. These habits are the results of repeated, intelligently controlled, actions.

Habits also control the formation of ideas as well as physical actions. We cannot perform a correct action or a correct idea without having already formed correct habits. “Reason pure of all influence from prior habit is a fiction.” “The medium of habit filters all material that reaches our perception and thought.” “Immediate, seemingly instinctive, feeling of the direction and end of various lines of behavior is in reality the feeling of habits working below direct consciousness.” “Habit means special sensitiveness or accessibility to certain classes of stimuli, standing predilections and aversions, rather than bare recurrence of specific acts. It means will.”

We display an attitude toward almost any subject. An attitude cannot be described explicitly but is a notion, which is an inference, based upon behavior. We are all inclined to behave consistently to a situation and this behavior is attributed to our attitude. Our attitudes can be observed by others and the quality of such attitudes is judged based on observed behavior.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy