Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Default Re: Weird Dream(s)

I "revisited" the city of Eutrecht, which has buildings right up to and over most of its streets. The public walkways were through designated areas of people's homes/apartments, with railings to set apart the part of the room that was for strangers to walk through. Homes let right into other people's homes, there were no hallways, just rooms. some rooms were purely public, and acted like plazas, with businesses facing the room through windows in the building.

There were streets that you could occasionally find room to walk on, as well. A river passed through the city. I passed by a bridge that was parting and swinging up to let through a boat. The boat was having trouble with the passage because it couldn't furl its flapping wing style sails toward the sides of the boat. I was there during a celebration of some kind of horror, and there was a parade of sorts of boats with dead Santas dangling from chains or mutilated in various ways. Revelers dressed as zombies accosted us (I was mostly in a group of people) and demanded something (what, I don't know, it was a foreign language). They left us alone. I got lost, since there is only one street leading to the outside of the city, and the building we were all staying at. I needed to find Rue Street, but finding it through all the passages of rooms was daunting.

I kept insisting to the others in my group that I've been to this city before.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-04-2010), JoeP (10-04-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
California Sober

We (whoever "we" were) had a surplus of construction-paper slips in all different colors and we were trying to use them up. We made some Christmas tree garland out of it like so (only in more colors):

and then I was showing the children (whoever the children were) how to tape them into mobius strips and other topologies, and the tricky stuff you can do with them after that.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I was in San Francisco, only it was on a cliff. Going on a moving walkway.
A large brick building was ahead of us (I was with three others) suddenly one of the floors (maybe the 11th) erupted into flames shooting out windows. The building pancaked down, then another brick building collapsed next to it.
Seeing this, and knowing the power would soon be off, I hopped off of the walkway onto the cliff. The three people with me went skidding backwards, barely hanging on to the walkway. I went to go save them, and looking over I saw one person give up and let go. Someone's cell phone rang, I answered it, "Yes, he fell over the cliff. I've got to go rescue them now." I hung up and threw the phone aside. I was able to reel up the moving sidewalk so the remaining people could clamber up the cliff to safety.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I was watching an old movie where Bette Davis was teaching a young girl how to swim so she would win a swimming contest. Then they held the contest and Davis was there swimming in an old-timey bathing costume, helping the girl and encouraging her. The girl won and went off with all the people who now liked and congratulated her. Davis got mad that she was being left behind, at which point we found out that she was a ghost all along. She turned herself into a sandstorm and attacked the girl for abandoning her. Then I woke up.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-30-2010), SharonDee (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 AM

A Bette Davis dream? So jealous!
Ensign Steve (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I think we had an :ff: Dreams thrad, but I'm too lazy to find it. This certainly counts as weird.

Last night I dreamed that Ensign Steve was being chased by animals, possibly gazelles. (Li'l Puppet and I read a book last night wherein a character said she "runs like a gazelle.") But then, after she outran the gazelles (yarly), over a nearby hilltop appeared the LOL WUT pear. She tried to outrun him (the pear was a "him" in the dream), but every time she seemed to get away, he would appear again right behind her, like in the Looney Tunes cartoons where the chaser would inexplicably appear after the chasee thought he'd gotten away. All of this despite my never seeing the pear actually move -- which would've been quite a trick given his lack of legs.

It somehow became apparent that the pear was chasing her because he wanted to be taken seriously, although he never actually said anything other than "LOL WUT." (I know you're wondering what his voice sounded like. I'd describe it as somewhat deep, yet goofy. Sort of like Goofy, I guess, but without the giggles or gulps.) After ES apologized to him for taking him for granted (or something like that), he forgave her and stopped chasing her. Again, without actually saying anything. I think he didn't even say LOL WUT again, because his question had been answered.

In my dream, the pear's flesh was more of a pinkish hue, rather than the green in the masterful artist renderings and smiley. Other than that, the likeness was spot-on.

You don't get much more meta than a dream about :lolwut: that makes you say :lolwut: .

I swear on wei yau's sacred nerdery that I really did dream this. I blame the eggnog & brandy I had waaaaay too late last night. As for what ES had to do with it, I have no idea.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-30-2010), Anastasia Beaverhausen (12-01-2010), BrotherMan (11-30-2010), Corona688 (05-06-2011), Demimonde (12-01-2010), Dingfod (11-30-2010), Ensign Steve (11-30-2010), Janet (11-30-2010), JoeP (11-30-2010), Nullifidian (12-01-2010), Qingdai (11-30-2010), SharonDee (11-30-2010), Stormlight (05-04-2011)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
But then, after she outran the gazelles (yarly)
:flex:
Dingfod (11-30-2010), Nullifidian (12-01-2010), Sock Puppet (11-30-2010), Stormlight (05-04-2011)
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

All that working out finally pays off.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (11-30-2010), Stormlight (05-06-2011)
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
A Lover, Not A Fighter

Last night I had some really weird dreams. It started off that I was trying to shave my legs and no matter how many times I went over each spot with my favoritest "Intuition" razor, I kept finding missed areas! Then I bought a bunch of Lean Pockets at the grocery store and when I got home someone had stolen my microwave so I had no way to cook them.

THEN, for some reason I was in imminent danger of being arrested for a serious crime, but I couldn't figure out what I had done. The police were at my door and the SWAT team showed up. I woke up then, and the dream had been so realistic and vivid that I spent the better part of an hour in a cold sweat, flipping and flopping around the bed, trying to think was I actually in some kind of trouble? Had I done something wrong? Finally it sunk in that it really was just a dream, but man, that was scary!

- Esther Tallamy
Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Tellifying

So, just had a nightmare. Woke up screaming. I'm trying to write it down in as coherent a way possible.

In the dream, I'm younger, like maybe 11 or 13. I'm home with my mom and dad. There's a storm outside. A pretty bad one. We are all upstairs. I'm playing something. Dad's working on something. Mom's in the shower.

There's a flash of lightning. Dad and I are startled. Suddenly, we hear a crash downstairs. Dad and I go to investigate. There's nothing to see, until we get down to the basement. In it, we find ourselves. They are equally surprised to see us.

They are echoes of us, from the past. They are us, from an hour ago.

In the dream, it occurs to me that has been happening all night. Flash of lightning, then echoes of us. Only usually from only within a few minutes. What makes this different is how far in the past these echoes come from.

The echoes live for only as long a time as their distance in the past. So, these echoes have an hour to live. They know it and we know it. Dad and I are just waiting for them to die. It's not an easy death either. Very slow, very painful.

Only those versions of us who have progressed furthest into the future, through the normal passage of time survives. As we wait for them to die, our echoes...well, my echo...theorizes that they might survive if they kill us. They advance on us. Dad runs upstairs to save Mom. Dad's echo is severely weak and falls down, but my echo is struggling to reach me. It's dying, coughing, crying and getting weaker.

But, it's still trying to reach me. I'm crying, calling for "Daddy". My echo is doing the same, trying to rouse his fallen father. Both of us want our Daddy to help us. Only I want Daddy to help me survive and the other me wants Daddy to help kill me.

I wake up screaming.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Solipsist

Pretty cool, wei.

Could be a movie, except Echoes in the Basement sounds like a Virginia Andrews title.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

That's awesome, wei.

I'm pretty sure I was incepted last night, because I had a dream within a dream within a dream. I only actually remember the top two, though.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Had a disturbing dream that I was taking the baby out for a walk in the stroller around the same time school lets out. I was looking at something up ahead and walked away from her for a few seconds. I turned around and some people picking their kids up had her and were pushing her away -- somehow I knew they only doing it because they thought they were helping her, but now the dream had shifted and it was no longer my neighborhood but some unknown set of suburban avenues...every time I turned a corner, she was disappearing around the next, and each time the group of people with her changed, I wasn't even sure I was following right group anymore or if she was even with them. I couldn't yell loud enough for anyone with her to hear me. Then I was just running and there was no sign of her, the streets were empty, and it was getting dark. After that I forced myself to wake up.

Sucked.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Tellifying

Woke up from a dream in which I tried to kill Robert Vaughn, in order to impress Will Ferrell. Almost got busted by his mom, played by Meryl Streep. We were on a cruise ship.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Fucking Will Ferrel! First he shaves Conan's beard and then he tries to kill Robert Vaughn! FUCK HIM ALL.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-04-2011), SharonDee (05-04-2011), Stormlight (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Forum Killer

Last night in backpain painkiller dream theater:

I was standing awkwardly in the living room of some stranger while their whole family was overturning all the furniture looking for rats. After they removed everything and moved on, leaving the room empty, a little baby penguin squeezed out of a hole in the wall and cavorted around, waving its fins and hopping. It wasn't going "wheee!" but should have. I could tell it was a baby penguin because it was little and had red stripes on its front. It stopped cavorting and scurried back into the wall to join its parents when it heard the pounding feet of the returning family.

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to tell them or not.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Forum Killer

Last night in backpain painkiller dream theater:

My grandmother was re-introducing me to some relatives I didn't recognize because they'd been mutated. The virus was mostly harmless though it caused changes to skin, hair, and eye color. It also wasn't contagious, so nobody knew where it was coming from. Grandma begged me to help find the cause but what could I do? I'm no geneticist.

Later I was just going outside when I noticed a flock of birds overhead. Usually alike birds flock together but these were all different kinds and riotous colors. Some carried things, like that normal-looking swan carrying big book of maps but it ignored me -- but a colossal blue goose spotted me instead and landed a little ways away.

This goose was the size of a compact car, smurf-blue all over, with a useless and mutated head sticking out of its back. It clutched a thick picture book "birds of the world" in its good beak, but the pictures were all of mutated birds. I knew this had to be the source and lunged at the goose, trying to grab the book. It HISSED at me, HISSSSSSs! and wobbled its neck around. I got the book on the next try, ran like hell, and woke up.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I dreamed that, back in the Sixties, Glenn Gould teamed up with Kaga Takeshi (of Iron Chef fame) at the request of a Japanese princess and travelled to Japan to advocate for science education for girls. I have no fucking clue where that came from, but I blame FF for the last bit.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (06-28-2011), lisarea (06-17-2011), Naru (06-17-2011), Qingdai (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Not drowning. Waving.

In my experience dreams are weird by definition.

Last night I dreamt that our state has an extremely convoluted system for licensing people to drive motor vehicles. There are hundreds of them around, differing in what you are allowed to do, and at what age. The older you get, the more entitlements you acquire, starting when you are seven, at which point you are allowed to say the word "street".
Thanks, from:
lisarea (06-17-2011), Qingdai (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I sometimes dream of bears - not just your average ones either, but enormous, powerful-looking creatures the size of a large pickup-trucks. They roam around outside, not exactly malevolent, but hungry and dangerous. They are like unstoppable forces of nature, just doing their thing, but that thing just might include eating me and the kids.

I have to run from place to place, making sure the doors are locked, but no-one else seems very interested in staying safe: the kids keep leaving doors open, or decide to start cooking sausages, or wander into the garage to find something, or start loud arguments with one another just when one of these monstrous bears is close to the house. It ends with me getting caught outside trying to get one of them from the garage back into the house, and I wake up as the bear begins to eat me.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (06-28-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 AM
California Sober

I had a really scary, painful stress-related nightmare the other morning.

There was this being who was a regular woman at first but then she morphed into this sticky, stretchy, Stretch Armstrong type monster that would wrap its tentacles around my arms and they stuck to my flesh and electrocuted me like an electric eel. It was extremely painful and I was powerless against it.

She would morph back and forth between being a woman and being this sticky, shocky being, and so I would try to somehow contain her when she was in her woman state. I tried locking her in a box or putting her in the freezer, and even though she did not resist, I couldn't pull it off due to dream ineptness. And she kept switching back and shocking me.

It totally sucked. Also, she was like the bus driver on South Park.
JoeP (11-05-2011), Qingdai (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

The other night I had a dream that I was both grinding on (clothed :glare:), and eating, a very large bagel.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Solipsist

At least it wasn't a baguette.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I dreamed my right leg had been severed just below the knee. It was a clean cut, straight across. It bled rather profusely until I applied a tourniquet just above the cut. Then I put the severed limb into an ice chest that was about half full of ice, and drove myself to a hospital. Surgeons were able to reattach the leg. In the dream I could feel and move only toes #2 to #5, though somewhat tingly and insensitive. But, my big toe was totally numb and immobile. Then I woke up from the dream and I couldn't feel my foot! Aaaaarrrrgghh!!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM

It was not . . . a dream. . . .

--J.D.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium