Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

I was supposed to see it on Monday but wound up working my butt off around my and my mom's houses instead. We are supposed to see it next Monday and the waiting is really starting to get to me.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:19 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I was supposed to see it on Monday but wound up working my butt off around my and my mom's houses instead. We are supposed to see it next Monday and the waiting is really starting to get to me.
I'm in the same boat. I can't wait to see it :omgomg:

But we're waiting until the girls come back for Christmas.... :twiddle:

Hopefully we'll see it Mon or Tues
Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

So which should I see in the theater Arrival or Rogue One?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:03 PM
the internet says I'm right

:unnod:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-23-2016), JoeP (12-25-2016), Pan Narrans (12-23-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017), The Man (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:glaresanta:
BrotherMan (12-23-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
So which should I see in the theater Arrival or Rogue One?
Before Christmas? The comforting familiarity of Star Wars. After? The unfamiliar new.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-23-2016), JoeP (12-25-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017), The Man (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Likely after.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Really, though, Kael is 100% correct. They both deserve to be seen on the big screen.

I gave my thoughts on Arrival elsewhere (though it's mostly spoiler tagged, IIRC). Rogue One is also great. It's quite a bit different than most other Star Wars films; the third act in particular has the feel of a WWII/Vietnam war film more than space opera. But that's fine. It's a fun story with great characters, solid acting, great cinematography, great effects, a great soundtrack. Basically everything one could want from a Star Wars film, and as Sack said, it's the prequel that should've been made in the first place.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

And the CGI actors were top notch.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (12-25-2016), Kyuss Apollo (01-29-2017)
Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I wasn't put off by the Tarkin. The only time it was really noticeable was when he was speaking. That's where a lot of the "real people" CGI goes wrong. I was more creeped by the cameo at the end of the movie and that person barely spoke. Though that person did look a lot like who that person was supposed to look like.

My heaviest critique about the fillum was p much in the beginning. There was a lot of planet hopping. But I guess they had to set the stage somehow.

But as I said, sort of: This is the Star Wars movie I've been wanting for a long time. None of that nonsense about galaxy impacting famblies and their stupid legacies. No Force powers. Just a story about the ordinary people who are asked to and accomplish extraordinary things or have that shit thrust at them and they have to deal or die.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-03-2017), Janet (12-27-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-24-2016), Sock Puppet (12-24-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-24-2016), The Man (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
But as I said, sort of: This is the Star Wars movie I've been wanting for a long time. None of that nonsense about galaxy impacting famblies and their stupid legacies. No Force powers. Just a story about the ordinary people who are asked to and accomplish extraordinary things or have that shit thrust at them and they have to deal or die.
It was like an All Star cast of ridiculous sidekicks assembled into a team that might also have been called "The Baddest Motherfuckers With Nothing to Lose in the Galaxy." It was like having all the A-Team archetypes and Starbuck (new and old). Even the C-3P0 knockoff was jacked up on awesome pills.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-24-2016), Ensign Steve (01-03-2017), Janet (12-27-2016), JoeP (12-25-2016), Sock Puppet (12-24-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-24-2016), The Man (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

In a movie with a great number of :wriggle: easter eggs one of my favorites was how Chirrut Imwe was described as a former Guardian of the Whills. A very nerdy, somewhat obscure reference.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (12-24-2016), The Man (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Both Arrival and Rogue One are well worth seeing. I'd see Arrival first, simply because it may not be in the theaters much longer. You know perfectly well that Rogue One will still be in the theaters 'til well after Christmas, though.

As for Rogue One, it's almost worth the price of admission just to see the last 10 minutes or so of the film. The whole movie is good, but Darth Vader in action is just pure, undiluted awesome!
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-25-2016), Dingfod (12-25-2016), JoeP (12-25-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-24-2016), The Man (12-24-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Looks like I our guests want Rogue One, but I am going to try to see Arrival soon after.
The Man (12-25-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Finally saw Arrival and can only say:

Thanks, from:
Janet (01-04-2017), Pan Narrans (12-30-2016)
Old 01-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

La La Land is a very nearly perfect film until the last seven minutes, which I will discuss in a minute. I was ambivalent about the ending while still in the theatre, and the more I think about it and fridge logic sets in, the more I come out absolutely hating it. But I'll get to that later. The film is beautifully shot (in Cinemascope) with an absolutely stellar soundtrack, some of the best performances I've seen this year, and overall, despite an unsatisfying ending, is probably the single best film I've seen all year. It's single-handedly revitalised the musical genre, and it certainly deserves the accolades it's been receiving.

The only (relatively minor) flaw with the work as a whole, apart from the ending, is that it's a film about jazz without any major black characters. This was a flaw with Damien Chazelle's previous film, Whiplash, as well, and it's becoming a bit of a pattern. There's more than a bit of a white saviour narrative to both films. However, Whiplash was a character study about two characters, and so is this one. There are essentially only two major characters in either work, so you cannot change this flaw without either changing the lead actors (which I would not have done in either case) or completely changing the movie (and ruining the pacing to boot). I don't see any way to fix this, but it's a flaw he's going to need to fix in his next film if he's going to continue making films about jazz (as I think he should).

The ending is far more problematic on both artistic and social levels, and I ultimately can't come up with any redeeming qualities to it.

I'm honestly having a difficult time thinking of another film ending I have hated this viscerally. I'm sure there has been one, but I can't remember what it was. I must have blocked it out of my memory. The only ending in any medium I can think of that bothered me this much was the ending of the Farseer trilogy.
I guess the fact that I'm having this much of an emotional reaction to the film shows that I was incredibly invested in the characters, but it feels like

Still, despite those flaws, I'm not even sure I can disagree that it's the best film of the year. I'm just going to pretend the last seven minutes don't exist and imagine my own ending.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 01-13-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-13-2017), Stormlight (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 PM
ChuckF's sock

Saw Arrival, found it lackluster and slow. Aliens were cool though. :kang:

It was okay but the twist at the end was really not that twisty. I should have waited for it to get to Netflix.

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (01-13-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Hidden Figures was well worth seeing; it's both inspiring and often surprisingly funny. Probably the best part about it is watching how the three lead actresses interact with each other -- it's obvious that the three of them get along like a house afire.

Spoiler alert: Katherine Johnson's calculations were good and thus John Glenn survived his historic flight.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-14-2017), Janet (01-19-2017), JoeP (01-14-2017), The Man (01-14-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:01 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Armored

I stumbled upon Nimród Antal with Kontroll, which was a tight little thriller/drama about ticketing agent in a city metro who deals with various subway dwellers and a serial killer. Loved it, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it.

Well, the rest of his filmography has been showing up on my DVD queue over time, and Vacancy was - OK. It's a cheesy "horror motel" plot, which I watched for Kate Beckinsale because I am a pig.

Predators was... unfortunate. Not terrible, but not good.

I haven't seen Metallica's Through the Never, and I don't plan to.

That leaves Armored. It's a crime drama - Ty is a decorated veteran who works as an armored car driver. He's in pretty dire straits as he lost his parents, he's losing his house to a punishing mortgage and his brother to truancy and petty crime. So, his godfather and friends convince him to go along with faking a robbery - until they kill a witness. Then Ty locks himself in the truck with half the money.

I genuinely enjoyed this. Of course, it has Matt Dillon, Lawrence Fishburne, and Jean Reno as the core of the group of criminals. Fishburne in particular is having fun playing the trigger happy, hyper aggressive, tough guy wannabe.

One problem with this movie - it's all men. It's a multi-ethnic group, sure, but none of the security guards are women? Not even the background cast is noticeably female. That takes the movie down a few pegs.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-18-2017), Limoncello (01-18-2017), lisarea (01-18-2017), The Man (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Quality Contributor

The Invitation

Directed by Karyn Kusama who also directed the awful Jennifer's Body. This, however, is not awful! The story unfolds during a dinner party in Hollywood Hills in the house of the protagonist Wills' ex-wife Eden. After the accidental death of their young son she spent the last 2 years in Mexico and re-married.

It's a really, really good thriller with a great atmosphere! The very end is a bit ... unnecessary but on the whole: very good! 8/10
Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Quality Contributor

Love & Friendship with Kate Beckinsale and Chloe Sevigny

It's an adaptation of Jane Austen's "Lady Susan". It's funny, excellently acted and well directed! Well worth watching. 8.5/10

Last edited by Stormlight; 01-18-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-19-2017), JoeP (01-20-2017), Limoncello (01-18-2017), livius drusus (01-20-2017), specious_reasons (01-18-2017), The Lone Ranger (01-20-2017), The Man (01-18-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:57 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I really liked that movie too. I had forgotten how good Kate Beckinsale was at that sort of light, fast repartee.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (01-23-2017), The Lone Ranger (01-20-2017), The Man (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 AM

The first thing I saw Kate Beckinsale in was Much Ado About Nothing. She played Hero, but didn't make much of an impression -- but then, it isn't a role that gives an actor much to work with.

The next thing I saw her in was Emma, in which she was just fantastic. I've certainly never seen a better version of Emma, and unlike some other actresses I could mention, Beckinsale managed the perfect balance of making Emma Woodhouse come across as spoiled and sometimes insensitive, but nonetheless a very kind, decent, and well-intentioned person at heart. In the scene where Mr. Knightly tells her how spoiled and insensitive she sometimes is, you can just see Emma's heart break -- that's how good an actress Ms Beckinsale is.

Sadly, her talents have been wasted in most of her subsequent work, in my opinion. Granted, she looks awfully good in skin-tight leather.
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-02-2017), JoeP (01-20-2017), Limoncello (01-20-2017), specious_reasons (01-20-2017), Stormlight (01-20-2017), The Man (01-20-2017), Zehava (01-20-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Quality Contributor

Sisters - with A. Poehler and T. Fey

This would have been a mediocre comedy if it weren't for Poehler/Fey who are in great form. 7.5/10
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
La La Land...
I was going to go see this with my daughter, but she made the mistake of telling me it was a musical, and I said "No thanks."
JoeP (01-24-2017), Sock Puppet (01-24-2017), Stormlight (01-24-2017), Watser? (01-24-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature