Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

From the SDCC thing that apparently happened over the weekend: Thor Ragnarok looks outrageous. There was a lot in the trailer for anybody to geek out over. My personal favorite right now are the Valkyrie riding in on their wing-ed ponies though.

Then there's some pictures that have been released. Let me start with the Captain Marvel. Some concept art made its way either onto the official Marvel tweeter or the artist's tweeter, I don't remember which. But here it is. I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel's revamp that happened a few years back. That's when (former?) Air Force Captain Carol Danvers stopped being Ms Marvel and took up the mantel and title of Captain Marvel. Complete with costume change and ever thing. It's one of my favorite looking costumes in all of the comic world(s).

It's in keeping with how the MCU has been designing things, which I'm a fan of. I do miss her scarf-wrap-flowy-thing however. Some of the details about her movie have dropped and I'm not sure about that. Basically, according to the scuttle-butt, it's going to be set in the 90s. On one hand, okay, sure. That could be fun. But then it raises others questions (which I assume would be answered in the movie.) But anyway.

Then there's this promotional poster for the Infinity Wars the First.

And guys. I don't know, guys. Seriously. Guys. I usually feel p secure in my borthood. But seeing Captain Chris Evans in that beard makes me feel things. I know, or at least am quite positive, I don't have ovaries, but I def felt them esplode a little looking at that bebearded mug.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2017), slimshady2357 (07-24-2017), The Lone Ranger (07-25-2017), The Man (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

ES and I watched Legion btw. I noticed there was some conversation about it upthread.

I really loved it. Aubrey Plaza was so fucking fabulous. I enjoy the feel and look and overall trippiness of it.

I'm well aware of the character of Legion in the Marvel universe, but I read nothing about what take these people were taking on the show. (I figured because of timing it might be in the first class universe sort of). But I know what Legions powers are, his general backstory and Ive read of some of his interactions with the Xmen.

I just loved the show.
BrotherMan (07-25-2017), Ensign Steve (07-31-2017), slimshady2357 (07-24-2017), The Man (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't know anything about Legion from the comics. All I know is that this series is bonkers. In all the right ways. A perfect experiment for cable television. P much an opposite of what's happening on the FOX movies front.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-26-2017), slimshady2357 (07-25-2017), The Man (07-25-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:36 PM
California Sober

Legion is the shit and I'm bummed it's not on Hulu anymore, like wtf?
BrotherMan (08-01-2017), slimshady2357 (07-31-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I was on board before. Now I'm even more onner boarded.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-14-2017), The Man (10-16-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thor the Ragnarok and or Roll

The unspoiled portion of the review, a summary: It's fun. A lot of fun. Like a continuation of the Guardians of the Galaxy kind of fun. Worth seeing in the theater for the spectacle of it. It touches lightly on the greater events of the universe. More funner than the Dark World, less serious feeling than the first Thor. Not necessarily a must see in as much as, say, Winter Soldier or Civil War.

Some spoilation below:

Cate Blanchette as Hela. Oh sweet heavens and little fishes. I feel sorry for the little borts and girls who get some kind of feels from this. She made me feel funny. You know? Like when we used to climb the rope in gym class. It was almost too much slink going on. But then, there's a reason why she's a world class actor. She made it work, at least a great majority of the time. Even if her powers weren't well explained, her motivation(s) definitely were. By comparison, everthing that was wrong with Cara Delefingne's performance as Enchantress was very much right with Cate Blanchette's Hela. I can't compare/contrast to Hela from the comics.

More critical/critique stuff that may or may not spoil people, places and things: I don't know Thor. Not like one of our resident experts. I've really only read, maybe, 13 whole comics in which Thor is the primary or solo protagonist. Those comics were good. Perhaps because of the place they happen within the 616 timeline, also very weighty and character driven.

In that arc I read Thor and the rest of the Asgardians had been gone from the multiverse. I don't know why they were gone, that wasn't explicitly covered. I assume some Ragnarok thing perhaps. And then, with only a little preamble, Thor returns and must find other Asgardians and find them a home. Also, this all happens very soon after the 616 Civil War. In which Thor responds to something Stark (and Reed Richards) had done. That's no so important to the point I'm wandering around. Part of my point is that Thor in the comics isn't the Thor we're getting in the MCU.

I'm only a little disappointed at the distinction between the two. One one hand, from a somewhat meta perspective, Thor from the comics couldn't/might not mesh well in the 199999 universe (that's the numerical designation for the MCU). If it were just Thor movies that Marvel Studios had to concern themselves with and not some intermeshed universe, 616 Thor (or some version of the Ultimates one which seems to be more the inspiration) would be great. A more introspective, reflective, archetype.

MCU Thor is more, forgive my shorthand, closer to frat-boy-jock Thor. His personality existing somewhere closer to Tony Stark. Which, I suppose, makes some kind of sense. He's a privileged elite with incredible skills who historically relied on both to get his duties done. It's only recently that he's learned to be more, uh, woke? in his dealings with other beings. MCU Thor is more ready to lead with his hammer (in both a mental, physical and pejorative sense) than his head or his heart.

Maybe I would like - and I would guess our resident Thor expert might agree - to see the 616 Thor, or more of him. But then since this is a Marvel joint we really can't have two (or more) Captains America like personalities on one team. Bad optics or somesuch.

I wish there were some more detail into how prescient Odin could be. Not necessarily the wisdom he's collected over his life, but the level of preparation the dude comes up with. You know, the story of how he lost his eye and how he uses knowledge to make way for victory. I had hoped that was the reason Valkyrie was where she was - some far fetched Odin sleeper plan. A failsafe for when shit was getting real. But that's not here. At least not at that really deep DOOM-esque level in this universe.

So. Thor and His Ragnarokers: Very Kirby influenced addition, a lot of fun that clears the palate for the serious shit that's about to follow. I guess.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (11-05-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-05-2017), The Man (11-05-2017), wei yau (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was a fun movie, but the MCU Thor is so not the comics Thor, and I prefer the comics version, who is much more thoughtful, much more serious, much more noble, and -- for lack of a better word -- much more majestic.

Buuuut, I agree that having 2 Captain America-style personalities on the team would probably be too much. Plus, comics Thor would be vastly overpowered for the MCU.

One thing I liked about the movie is that it finally, finally noted that Thor isn't just dumb muscle; he's actually a pretty darned smart guy who has literally centuries of experience under his belt.

One inconsistency that bugs me is how the MCU deals with magic. In both of the previous Thor movies and in both Avengers movies, it was explicitly denied that magic exists in the MCU. Then Doctor Strange came along and basically said, "Of course magic exists in this universe." Okay.

Similarly, the first Thor movie made fun of the fact that [some] humans regarded Asgardians as gods, claiming that this was a sign of how "backwards" humans could be. But this movie is all about how Thor, Odin, etc. really are gods.

Well, in my mind, the Asgardians are magical beings, pure and simple -- or at the very least, are very familiar with magic and how it works. As such, I don't for one second believe that Doctor Strange could have manipulated Thor (and especially Loki) so thoroughly and so easily. Nor do I believe that he'd have been such a dick about it (to Loki, yes, but not to Thor). Strange is darned lucky he wasn't dealing with a younger, more hot-heated Thor who would likely have decided to smite him for such treatment.

Anyone who's at all familiar with the comics will know what's going to happen to Skurge, and the movie did not disappoint in that.

Otherwise, Blanchett was great, as expected. And yeah, there were definitely some scenes where you can't help but get some "funny feelings" when she's prancing around in that skin-tight costume.

Though I'm not entirely happy about how Thor is depicted in the MCU, I have to admit that Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston have great chemistry together, as do Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo. Hemsworth also has great comic timing.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-05-2017), slimshady2357 (11-05-2017), The Man (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Other that the first trailer, I was pretty much unspoilered going into this movie. I agree with both of you that it was a fun movie and worth a watch, though I can't say it's something I would have paid for in retrospect. So if you want to save money, it's probably worth waiting until you can see it for free.

small spoiler ahead......

Did either of you spot who was playing Loki in the play? Or Thor? Or Odin? I recognised the first, suspected the second and had no idea of the third. As I said, I was mostly unspoilered, so I have no idea if it was common knowledge or not. When I saw play-Loki I whispered to Sou "is that xxxxx?" But she didnt hear what I said. Had to look it up afterwards to confirm. Play-Thor was such a close match I thought it must have been one of them.

I liked that they gave a nod to Beta Ray Bill as well, very cool.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

You are very smart and I agree with everything you said.

Not talking about Thor now, but:

You know who the guy we should all be scared of (if he exists)?

Reed Richards.

I mean, look at what Tony Stark can do. In his penthouse of (now old) Stark Tower, he could dream up some "magical" technology and be wearing it by dinner time. And Tony isn't half the genius Richards is. I think we got lucky that Strange turned out to be just a bit of an egotistical prick.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (11-06-2017), The Man (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:30 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
Did either of you spot who was playing Loki in the play? Or Thor? Or Odin?
I did recognize Actor Loki but I would never have guessed the others. It got me a big chuckle.

Quote:
I liked that they gave a nod to Beta Ray Bill as well, very cool.
YES.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (11-06-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-05-2017), The Man (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 PM

I thought "those guys look awfully familiar" at the time, "and that guy looks a lot like the 'real' Thor," but I didn't figure out who they were. When they played the credits at the end, my reaction was something along the lines of "Wow, really?".

And I'll third the appreciation for the nod to Beta Ray Bill.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (11-06-2017), The Man (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 AM
the internet says I'm right

I too enjoyed the Ragnarokings of Thor. I wouldn't mind seeing it again in theaters, and I'll definitely be picking up a copy. I get that they were trying to keep things light and fun, but I think they tripped over the line between doing that and being afraid to let a moment of potential pathos go by without a joke. A relatively small criticism, but I think the script would have benefited greatly from a final review asking "does this joke actually add anything to the moment?" To be clear, many, perhaps most of them did, but there were several points where I was thinking, "Really? They couldn't just let that moment happen?"

Having essentially no familiarity with comics Thor beyond pop-culture osmosis, I can only judge by the MCU version, but it gets good marks from me in that category.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-14-2017), BrotherMan (11-06-2017), slimshady2357 (11-06-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-06-2017), The Man (11-06-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:58 AM
Tellifying

Thor: Ragnarok

Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Eating Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Thor: Ragnarok

Re: Odin

A truly excellent point. In all the bombast and fun - backed by the rockin' electronica score - the subtler points are easy to overlook. (Also because they're not really dealt with by the end of the movie.) In his older age we see the former warrior king who is reluctant to go to war. Now maybe we understand a bit more why - rather than fill it in with our own assumptions.

Quote:
Re: BRB

Even if I don't know for the comics so good, I heart this guy. He's gotta for reals show up somewhere somehow and wreck some shit.

Quote:
Re: TW3

Though I think it's obvious who was missing from the entire movie. There might be some real irl world reasons why that person wasn't there, I can't imagine what an in universe excuse might be.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-15-2017), The Man (11-13-2017), wei yau (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Though I think it's obvious who was missing from the entire movie. There might be some real irl world reasons why that person wasn't there, I can't imagine what an in universe excuse might be.
This is correct, IRL conflicts meant a no-show in Ragnarok.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Tellifying

Re:the missing

Also, do we want to talk about the The New Mutants trailer?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 AM
Tellifying

Oh and one more thing....

Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
I did not know this was a thing. From just the trailer? Okay, I have some intrigue in my pocket now. So far, I like the framing of the haunted place. And that it's not just, oh hey guys, here's some mutants that you don't know. You like mutants right? Here they are then. Okay.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-15-2017), The Man (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 PM

I watched Thor Ragnarok this past Friday and it was simply delightful.

Very gentle spoiler about tone and setting.
BrotherMan (11-15-2017), The Man (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post

Well, in my mind, the Asgardians are magical beings, pure and simple -- or at the very least, are very familiar with magic and how it works. As such, I don't for one second believe that Doctor Strange could have manipulated Thor (and especially Loki) so thoroughly and so easily. Nor do I believe that he'd have been such a dick about it (to Loki, yes, but not to Thor). Strange is darned lucky he wasn't dealing with a younger, more hot-heated Thor who would likely have decided to smite him for such treatment.
Have you read much Dr Strange? Like many characters his power level varies a lot depending on who is writing him, but hes pretty powerful. He fights cosmic level threats regularly. While Thor might be able to take Strange and Odin (and thus AllFather Thor who has fully come into his power) would wipe the floor with strange, Strange is generally very powerful.

Quote:
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master Martial Artist, Flight, Mastery of Many Forms of Magic including ones he developed himself, Supernatural Senses, Telepathy (Both offensive and defensive), Illusion Creation, Mind Manipulation, Memory Manipulation, Sleep Manipulation, Empathic Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, Astral Projection, Intangibility, Time Manipulation (Can slow, accelerate, reverse and loop time), Time Stop, Time Travel, Dimensional Travel and Manipulation, Pocket Reality Manipulation, Law Manipulation, Reality Warping, Portal Creation, BFR, Sealing, Teleportation, Telekinesis, Power Nullification, Power Absorption, Can survive in space and other hostile environments, Is immune to any diseases and does not age due to making a pact with Death, Immortality (Type 1, 3 and 4), Regeneration (Mid), Can create forcefields, Psychometry, Can travel between universes, Shapeshifting, Can summon many powerful cosmic beings and their power, Necromancy, Possession, Energy and Matter Manipulation, Energy and Life-Force Absorption, Transmutation, Automatic defenses, Gravity Manipulation, Resistance to Void Manipulation, Fire and Heat Manipulation, High-Tier Reality Warping from beings as strong as The In-Betweener, Illusions/Mind Manipulation, Death Manipulation and Sealing
Here is a list of his powers (in peak form though for this sort of conversation not bloodlusted*)
Doctor Strange (Classic | VS Battles Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia)

*bloodlusted sort of means, maximum damage/motivation with no holding back.

Now, he hasn't been shown to have as much power in MCU, but neither have the Asgardians.
BrotherMan (11-15-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-15-2017), The Man (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 AM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
I did not know this was a thing. From just the trailer? Okay, I have some intrigue in my pocket now. So far, I like the framing of the haunted place. And that it's not just, oh hey guys, here's some mutants that you don't know. You like mutants right? Here they are then. Okay.
I am intrigued, as well. Not entirely sure if this will tie in with the larger X-Men Universe in the Fox movies, though. I mean, I'm not even sure that they'll acknowledge Magik as Colossus' sister, Illyana. To be fair, however, the X-Men Cinematic Universe continuity is all kinds of fucked up.

Like I said, I'm intrigued, but for some reason I'm already comparing it to Legion and already feeling like it will fall short
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Like I said, I'm intrigued, but for some reason I'm already comparing it to Legion and already feeling like it will fall short
There's a lot of the regular MCU that falls short of Legion's high water mark. I don't expect any of the X-Men movies to make sense so far as a timeline goes. Way too many hands on the pie to get anything coherent from it.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-15-2017), The Man (11-15-2017), wei yau (11-27-2017), Zehava (11-15-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm currently instituting my Black Panther blackout, but Infinity War (p1) Trailer is up.

Thanks, from:
Kael (11-29-2017), The Man (11-29-2017), Zehava (11-29-2017)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm sorry everbody. I can't give a truly honest review of the Black Panther movie. I've let you all down. I let myself get way too hype for it and, as one might expect, it couldn't live up to that.

It definitely is a very Marvel movie. If you are into that kind of thing, it is more of that. If you're not, you already know you won't like it, even in spite of its new subject matter.

One of my favorite parts of Civil War, when T'Challa was introduced, was how they had to condense his relationship with is father into a few words and a couple of gestures. I didn't need to see a translation on the screen when he called his father Baba. It was captured as perfectly as such a thing could be.

There is more of that here. There is pomp and ceremony and official royal stuff, but it is carried along with the familial-ness that family - and not just bloodline family - means to at least the American black experience.

There isn't any one scene that stands out that says "this is why you should see this movie." There's more of a characterization that stands tall for why I enjoyed the movie, and the character: It's about a good man doing the right thing, even when the consequences are personal - and maybe even because the consequences are personal and necessary.

Stan Lee put it a little more succinctly: With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-19-2018), Dingfod (02-20-2018), slimshady2357 (02-18-2018), Sock Puppet (02-19-2018), The Lone Ranger (02-18-2018), The Man (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM

In tone, it struck me as resembling Captain America: The Winter Soldier than any other Marvel movie. Like CA:TWS, Black Panther isn't a great big movie about saving the world; it's about one man trying to do what's right, no matter the personal cost. Also like CA:TWS, this movie takes itself far more seriously than have most of the recent Marvel movies.

This is not to say that it doesn't have humor, but this is a much more serious movie than we usually get from Marvel. Yeah, of course there's an eventual showdown with lots of shooting and explosions and such, and this is a "comic-book" movie so of course the action sequences are so over-the-top and implausible that they're a bit hard to take seriously. But, of course, that's true of pretty-much every action movie being made nowadays.

What I appreciate is how thoughtful it is. The principle villain is no mustache-twirling, Evil for the Sake of Evil type of bad guy. He has very understandable reasons for feeling the way that he does, and is quite sympathetic -- at least, at first. Of course, the instant he seems to have achieved his goal, he proves that he isn't actually interested in making life better for the oppressed peoples of the world, but just wants to hurt those whom he thinks of as being responsible. And he shows that he's something of a hypocrite, because he almost-immediately makes it clear that he intends to save the best stuff for himself and to deny it to everyone else.

So, we don't have to feel bad or conflicted about his eventual defeat.

A major theme of the movie is: "How much responsibility does Wakanda have to the rest of the world?". After all, given that Wakanda has lots of highly-advanced technology that could easily be used to solve the entire world's energy and pollution woes, and generally raise the standard of living for virtually everyone on Earth -- it's arguably selfish of them to not share their gifts with the rest of the world? On the other hand, Wakanda is a tiny country. If the rest of the world knew what Wakanda was sitting on, it's entirely possible -- indeed, likely -- that Wakanda would be under constant threat of invasion. Powerful as Wakanda might be, could they really defend themselves effectively against countries like Russia, China, and the U.S. if they decided to gang up and say, "We're gonna take all your cool stuff."?

Are the Wakandans a bunch of hypocrites who look down on the rest of the world as "backwards" while they live lives of luxury and refuse to lift a finger to help anybody else? Or are they properly paranoid, knowing that if the rest of the world knew how blessed Wakanda is, the tiny nation would quickly be conquered -- or just obliterated -- by larger nations that would be envious of all their cool stuff?

It's nice to see an action movie be so thoughtful on the subject of responsibility -- both personal responsibility and the responsibility we have to help others. I'm sure the parallels to modern politics and racial relations are entirely intentional.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2018), Crumb (02-19-2018), Sock Puppet (02-19-2018), The Man (02-18-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature