Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

The Supergirl premiere has come and aired. I was looking forward to it ever since it was first announced. The Pilot was leaked and I adamantly refused to watch it. I'm still okay with that decision.

I didn't want to burden it with a lot of high expectations and I'm glad of that decision too. At most I was hoping for something along the lines of the Flash. And I think in that it mostly succeeded.

I think the Pilot could have used a two hour premiere. It pushed through a lot of story in the first episode and I think there were some story-telling shortcuts taken to tie things up at the end.

My favorite meta-detail are the Danvers - the foster parents for Kara Zor El. Played by Helen Slater (Supergirl from 1984 movie) and Dean Cain (Superman from the Adventures of Lois & Clark). I also like that there's an emphasis on the maternal and lady relationships.
Thanks, from:
Janet (10-28-2015), slimshady2357 (10-27-2015), Sock Puppet (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Damn, I forgot to DVR Supergirl. Hopefully On Demand will have it (starting to piss me off that OD skips random episodes of various shows for some stupid reason).

I binge-watched the first season of Gotham. I get some of y'all's problems with it, but I don't really get the hate. It's overall a decent show, albeit with a few howlers tossed in (the cat jump scare was inexcusable though, that I get). Mainly, some characters are bludgeoned with cartoonish strokes where some subtlety was indicated (Barbara's turn lacks proper foundation, Butch's brainwashing couldn't possibly work like that, Falcone's Gentleman Mobster characterization was taken way too far, etc.). Maybe I have lower expectations when I can binge watch rather than waiting week to week. Or just that I have lower expectations period, not having ever been a DC fan.

I still don't get the Fish hate, though. I thought she was p. awesome. She's not in Season 2, anyway.

For those of you who've already given up on the show, I doubt you'd feel better about the new season so far. Nygma's craziness is still simplistic, Bruce is still too sweet a kid to be Baby Batman, and all the villains are still pretty silly, including the Big Bad for this season (Gallavan). There was one villain with some real potential for the tragic pathos that's the hallmark of the good Batman stuff, but they killed 'em already. I'll still watch, although beer seems to be a prerequisite.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-27-2015), Janet (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Reading Re: DC Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
Yeah, it was a great episode and one worth the wait in the end.

I watched the Flash right after watching it and the Flash just seemed so flat in comparison.

Right now the only shows I'm watching that I'm chomping for the next episode each week are SHIELD, Homeland and Limitless. Lots of others that I'm watching but more 'meh' about. Hoping the Flash can speed his way back into the first category again.
I think a lot of shows would have felt a little flat after 4722 Hours. But there may be some emotional saturation proximity thing happening. I thought the Flash was the normal quality.

For me I'm still agog with Jesse L. Martin as Papa Joe West. A couple of the things for the nerds: KING SHARK makes an appearance. (A very expensive appearance if some of what I've read is correct. Like, the cgi company went overboard with how much time and money they had for the character compared to how long he was on screen.) But that's just some of the fun and goofiness that comes with Silver Age Flash - I think. Also, Cisco's answer to what kind of treadmill they have at Star Labs. ("Cosmic," he said.)

Some other small advances of various plots: Firestorm is repaired. Newly minted Detective Spivey is still newly minted. I do like how she didn't waste time being ascared or dumbfounded at a GIANT MAN SHARK was right in front of her.

Personal: I've lived my whole life without knowing a biological father. I was raised first by my mom and then by a step family. So, I kind of get where Iris was coming from. I might have played it differently, but I'm a different person. So any Iris haters can step to the left. To me, being in a sort of similar situation, it felt real enough - even if it was a bit of the CW Drama just adding stuff to give meaning or depth to their family situation.

The bad from last night's episode is that they're locking people up in the tube again. GODDAMMIT BARRY.
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-04-2015), Janet (10-28-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I had errands to run last night and missed almost all of The Flash. I will catch up tonight. I hate that I work until 8:00 and always miss the start. I did see King Shark though and was very, very happy.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-29-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I have finally been presented a reason to want to see the Batman v Superman The Movie.

I'm still not sold on Eisenberg as Luthor but at least this time it's not about fucking real estate. (Well, I guess you could say it ultimately is, as in the whole earth.) But the first two thirds of the trailer gives some non-superhero stuff to look at, which was nice. And then. THEN. At the end, I seen it. I seen why I want to see the movie now. It may be something of an extended cameo, but it's there and it's beautiful.

But first: Clark asking Bruce about the Bat-Vigilante in Gotham. Batfleck gives this smirk, and it's perfect:

And 'neath this spoiler the first cinematic presence of the one for whom the whole world has been waiting. Sans her satin tights, but prolly fighting for our rights.

And guys. GUYS.

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (12-04-2015), Dingfod (12-03-2015), Janet (12-03-2015), The Lone Ranger (12-03-2015), Zehava (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Okay then. Maybe this won't be the travesty I was fearing it would be.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-04-2015), Janet (12-03-2015), specious_reasons (12-03-2015), Zehava (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Add me to the list of people more encouraged now. This might well be worth my money.

But in better DC news. Mark Hamill is back as The Trickster, in a Santa suit no less, in Flash's mid-season finale next week. I am squealing with joy.

"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-04-2015), Dingfod (12-03-2015), specious_reasons (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Can anybody point me to a good recap of Flash's S2Ep2? Jay Fucking Garrick finally shows up, and my goddamned DVR records everything EXCEPT that episode, and OnDemand also has everything except that episode. Oh yeah, fuck you too, OnDemand.

I suppose I can Hulu it from home or whatever you crazy kids call that thing.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-04-2015), Janet (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:34 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

This is prolly your best bet.
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (12-07-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
I was right there with you. It wasn't until THIS trailer that they won me over, though I still agree with Bort on Eisenberg.
BrotherMan (12-05-2015), chunksmediocrites (12-04-2015), Janet (12-04-2015), The Lone Ranger (12-04-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:59 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Reading Re: DC Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehava View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
... though I still agree with Bort on Eisenberg.
I still think there's enough travesty happening to be skeptical. And though I knew who was making cameos, that is how you introduce a character.

Sadly, Lex Luthor is kinda like Dr Doom in regards to cinematic versions. No one has gotten it right. Yeah, some great actors have been cast to play the iconic non super powered super villain but nobody has captured what makes Luthor such a perfect foil for Superman.
Thanks, from:
Ari (12-07-2015), Janet (12-05-2015), The Lone Ranger (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Bah! As if any mere thespian could hope to emulate the magnificence that is Doom.

But yeah; nobody has ever managed to get Lex Luthor right on the screen, for whatever reason.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-05-2015), Janet (12-05-2015), Sock Puppet (12-07-2015), Zehava (12-07-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:57 PM

The reason is they never have the sense to cast Clancy Brown, the bastards!
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-05-2015), The Lone Ranger (12-05-2015), wei yau (12-06-2015), Zehava (12-07-2015)
Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Is this DC nerdrage worthy? Or is the weird mesh-muscle bullshit from a Marvel costume and I just don't recognize the crossover element?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Failed to load image!?

:avast:
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Bah, it was an ad. I thought taking the 's' out of https would make it hotlinkable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marvel t.jpg (63.6 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-12-2016, 05:27 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

It's not rageworthy, but it does generate its own level of :lolwut: for the obvious reason that the Supermans is DC and not Marvel.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-13-2016), Sock Puppet (01-12-2016), Zehava (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Is this DC nerdrage worthy? Or is the weird mesh-muscle bullshit from a Marvel costume and I just don't recognize the crossover element?
The mesh-muscle affect is directly from the Man of Steel movie. All the Kryptonian clothing you see has this affect. Somebody in marketing simply can't differentiate between DC property and Marvel property.

BrotherMan (01-12-2016), Janet (01-13-2016), Sock Puppet (01-12-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 03:50 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Here's our first look at the first ever Wonder Woman The Movie. It's only a few clips that are barely a few seconds long, but it's something. Despite being set firmly in the DC Cinematic Universe, I'm still eager to see it - mostly because Wonder Woman. And even despite having the Snyder fingerprints all over it - the desaturated sepia tones and the slow motion fight scenes.

:ww:
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (01-21-2016), Janet (01-20-2016), slimshady2357 (01-20-2016), wei yau (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 PM

Have any of you watched Legion of Superheroes? I don't know if or where it ever aired. It popped up as a newly added series on Prime when I was playing with my new smart TV on Sunday. I've watched the first few episodes and I like it well enough to keep watching, but I'm not blown away by it. So far they are still adding villains and heroes, so it may buckle down into a more interesting arc or not.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Have any of you watched Legion of Superheroes?
Is this the animated series with Superboy? If so, I have not watched it, though I have it on DVD.

I'm ambivalent about it because I love the LSH, but this was supposed to be Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes. If you remember the JLU episode, "Far From Home", that sets up what was supposed to her own series with the LSH.

I would have loved a Supergirl and the LSH series, since I really like how her character developed in the animated universe. So, that residual resentment is what has kept me from watching Superboy and the LSH.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:37 AM

Yes, Superboy, although he is using Superman already. They take him on his last day in Smallville before going to Metropolis. They tell him he will be able to come back at the moment he left, but I'm starting to wonder how Martha will fail to notice how much he's aged. He is also training and learning new skills, which is kind of a neat way of explaining how he would be so much more competent in Metropolis.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (04-05-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Welp. I did it. I've made a clean break from the Arrow. The last episode was just so damn tedious. But at least this opens up my schedule so I can try out Legends of Tomorrow. Which I don't have much in the way of anticipation.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (02-18-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Legends was pretty decent especially for a first episode which does a bunch of setup. It was mostly proof that I would watch a White Canary, Hot and Cold team up show!
Will watch again.

Things I disliked,

Things I liked.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-22-2016), Janet (01-22-2016), wei yau (02-18-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 08:25 PM

The AV Club review said the same thing you did about Savage. Interesting, it didn't occur to me. The most pleasant surprise to me in Legends was Heatwave. I never warmed to him on The Flash, pun not intended but I'll run with it. But he totally won me over last night and might just turn into my new favorite. Not sure, though, he'd have to go a long way to beat my love of Captain Cold's particular brand of campy cool.
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-22-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature