Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Only in Alabama

So I get a call from a guy who knows my full name (including middle!) asking if I am "kin" to my brother. He was too redneck to be a bill collector, I thought maybe it was his work or something...anyway I say "yes" and leave it at that.

He then proceeds to tell me to tell my brother to "quite messin' with my wife down t' the local store. I gots four yunguns and he don't want no trouble"

Holy fuck. How did he get my full name and phone number and know we are "kin"?

So I call my brother and he says he has been talking with a divorced girl with 4 kids. I asked "how did he get all this information"? Bro didn't know, but told me the guys last name...which happens to match the name of the street he lives on and the town we live in because he is part of a huge family that has been in this area for generations. Basically this guy has relatives in every business in town and found me through one of them.

So I call the first name on Yahoo people search that lives on that road and talk to a lady who knows who I am discussing, and proceeds to tell me it's the girl stirring up shit and that the "person I am talking about would never hurt a woman" and that this is a small community and that's how he found my information.

I am askeered of the rednecks now
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-19-2014)
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Only in Alabama

Welcome to small town life in Alabama. Gosh, I thought they'd be more sophisti-ma-cated down there. You know, what with being exposed to all them liberal tourists and all.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Holy Deliverance, Batman.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't trust Me. As per the HH.

That is one of the reasons that Garnet and I are so glad to be as far from 'bama as we could get.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM

I forget I am in Alabama until something like this happens. Most of my friends and immediate neighbors are liberal, freethinking, patying, hippy types...I don't have any personal dealings with the Good Ole' Boys and their Missus.

Bro said he talked to this girl exactly twice -after they exchanged numbers- after he had been getting coffee at the convenience store she works at for months, and they have not been on a date even. I told him to stay away from her, as it is all Hatfield's and McCoys hillbilly feud territory

Last edited by LadyShea; 02-08-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Of course, this sort of rewards the hillbillys for being psychotic stalkers, but on the other hand, there's times to just walk away from that crap.

Poor girl. She's doomed to never be able to date until she moves out of that area. I'd think it'd be polite to warn her to get the FUCK out of Alabama, and take the kids with her.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Don't trust Me. As per the HH.

Sounds like you got yourself into a fairly nice neighborhood. Garnet and I lived in down town Montgomery. We could see from our building the place that Rosa Parks was put off the bus. I've never been in a place that has so much prejudice and bigotry. And I was born in Los Angels county, Callie.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Is this the woman?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Taran View Post
That is one of the reasons that Garnet and I are so glad to be as far from 'bama as we could get.
Ayup. Alabama made Oklahoma look like an oasis of reason.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm not so sure about that.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Turns out mightn't have been her ex husband, but some ex boyfriend posing as her ex husband

It's like Jerry Springer.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Wow! That's just ... creepy.

I've never had anything like that happen, but having lived all of my life in very rural areas or in tiny towns, I've occasionally been bluntly reminded of just how hard it can be to have any sort of privacy in such places, and how fast rumors will spread

My family moved from a tiny town in Maine when I was five. I didn't go back again until I was 18. Random people would walk up to me on the street and say, "You must be Rodney's son -- I can tell because you look like him". (My father had been dead for over a decade at that point.

It got really creepy/annoying after awhile. My Grandfather, bless him, must have realized that, because he finally told one guy, very pointedly, "He looks like himself!".

Cheers,

Michael
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM

I grew up in a place just like this, only in Colorado...but the rumor mills and feuds were mostly amongst the kids. My bro is 35 and this girl has 4 kids...so hardly teen bullshit!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
High tech redneck

It sounds like your brother could be putting himself in a very dangerous situation... a girlfriend with four kids!

Run away!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM

LOL, he has talked to her only...and after this probably won't again!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
LOL, he has talked to her only...and after this probably won't again!
Can't blame him!

My best friend in high school (we'll call him Earl) went into the navy after high school. Nothing unusual about that, of course; few of the people with whom I attended high school went to college. So, most either wound up in some sort of manufacturing job or went into the military.

Earl did a fair bit of traveling in the navy, of course, and after he got out, he got married. After doing so, he moved back to the same small town he'd grown up in, to be near his family. Again, nothing unusual about that. But, he'd married a girl who was "from away." Naturally, therefore, all sorts of rumors went through the community regarding how they'd met, whether the marriage was truly "proper," and so forth.

Sadly, Earl's wife (we'll call her Martha) died of complications from childbirth just a few years later. I was teaching at a community college at the time not too far away. Because of a work conflict, Earl's older brother (Fred) couldn't make it to the funeral service. So I volunteered to take Jean, Fred's wife, with me to the funeral service, as I was planning to drive down after my morning class.

Once we'd arrived back in the town, I made a point of stopping at the local general store. I strolled in and said "Hi" to the store-owner. He hadn't seen me in a good 5 years or more, but he instantly knew me, of course, and wanted to know how things were going. I told him that I'd come back for the funeral. Of course, he had heard about Martha's death. I mentioned that it was sad that she had died so young, and from complications of childbirth, no less. He agreed most enthusiastically, and pointed out how sad it was that her kids would grow up without a mother.

Then I bought an apple. When we got back into the car, I put the apple in the glove compartment. "Aren't you going to eat it?" Jean asked. "Maybe later," I told her. "Then why did you stop here to buy it?" she asked.

Jean and Fred had met in college. She was a city girl.

So I explained to her the real reason I'd stopped to buy an apple. Given the small size and relative isolation of the community, everyone in the area shops at that store. As such, Pete (the store owner) is -- more than anyone else -- the real center of the community. He is also a heckuva nice guy.

Given that Martha was "from away," that alone was more than sufficient reason for lots of local people to view her with suspicion. That she died at such a young age would be viewed as highly suspicious by many people. There would inevitably be all sorts of rumors going around about how she really died -- people would be speculating on everything from illegal drugs to AIDS.

So, my purpose in stopping in had been to let Pete know the real reason for Martha's death. Being both the center of the community and a very decent person, he'd make sure any nasty rumors were nipped in the bud before they became too widespread.

Sometimes, you've just gotta play the system ...

Cheers,

Michael
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 AM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
... but told me the guys last name...which happens to match the name of the street he lives on and the town we live in because he is part of a huge family that has been in this area for generations.
Tarhar! When I talk about growing up a mile from where my great-grandmother was born, this is what I'm talking about!
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (12-27-2013)
Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernesse View Post
Quote:
... but told me the guys last name...which happens to match the name of the street he lives on and the town we live in because he is part of a huge family that has been in this area for generations.
Tarhar! When I talk about growing up a mile from where my great-grandmother was born, this is what I'm talking about!
Yep, I find alot of this in the South. Also, having a road named after your family isn't necessarily and indicator of money down here, as it is out West. The scavenger family that picks shit up off the curbs, and lives in a "compound" of trailers with packs of dogs running around have a road here too...LOL

OTOH one road has nothing but grand homes and every one belongs to a family member. People just tend to stay down here, and not move off.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Having a road named after you isn't a sign of wealth in the west either, especially in rural areas.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Not in the northeast either. My grandmother lived on a street named after her family and they were tough ol' Yankee shoot-your-dinner farmers.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 AM

Okay, I stand corrected. In Vegas and LA, if you have a road named after you you have money. I do remember a woman at my mom's church in Colorado living on a road with her family name.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:20 PM
California Sober

Small Alabama town accidentally hires black drag queens to dance in Christmas parade | The Raw Story

Quote:
The members of “The Prancing Elite” sympathized with those who were offended.

“We do want to apologize if we offended anybody who did not know who we were before today, but still at the end of the day, we only just came to dance and we did get invited,” troupe leader Collins said.

Since news of the incident at the parade hit social media last night, the group has booked events for New Year’s Eve and Mardi Gras.
I read the whole story, and I still don't get which is the "accidental" part.
Janet (12-27-2013), LadyShea (12-27-2013), lisarea (12-27-2013), Nullifidian (12-27-2013), Qingdai (12-27-2013), Stormlight (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Maybe she thought they were tap dancers?
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-27-2013), Janet (12-27-2013), lisarea (12-27-2013), Nullifidian (12-27-2013), Stormlight (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Quality Contributor

Or white?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Prancing Elites, sounds like a horse dressage group. I think it's the prancing, they're cute though. I'd have a hard time feeling offended by them.
Janet (12-27-2013), LadyShea (12-27-2013), lisarea (12-27-2013), Nullifidian (12-27-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle