Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-17-2016, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Turner Classic Movies Addicts Anonymous

Sadly, Untamed Youth was screened without commentary at all. I was under the impression that each film got its own individual introduction, but evidently not. Perhaps Sr. Pacatte told TCM that she had to draw the line somewhere. :fflaugh:

Tomorrow, there's a great lineup: Luis Buńuel's Viridiana, which won the Palme d'Or as well as a "Condemned" rating; Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up, based on a short story by Argentinian writer Julio Cortázar; Jules Dassin's Never on Sunday; and John Huston's Reflections in a Golden Eye, based on the Carson McCullers novel. The only one I'm uncertain of is Billy Wilder's Kiss Me, Stupid. I've never been much of a fan of Billy Wilder's films or comedies in general (with rare exceptions).
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-17-2016), lisarea (03-17-2016), livius drusus (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Obviously I can't recommend Blow-Up enough even though I might not stay up to watch it again.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (03-17-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM

Tonight if you can set your recorders, do so for Jules Dassin's Rififi. It's a fantastic heist movie and I dare not say more for spoiling the rest of it. I was fortunate enough to see it in a movie theater last year. :pleased:

Also of interest tonight, aside from a repeat of Baby Doll, is the anthology film directed by Roberto Rossellini, L'Amore, consisting of two stories called Il Miracolo (The Miracle) and Una Voce Humana (The Human Voice). The latter story is based on a Jean Cocteau play, and opera fans like me know that the Cocteau play was set by Francis Poulenc as La Voix Humaine, an approximately 45-minute monodrama about a woman trying to salvage a romantic relationship over the telephone.

This year the Long Beach Opera is doing a performance of La Voix Humaine, and I'm considering going, except that the cheapest available seats are almost $70 with the handling fees. They chose to set the performance in a restaurant, rather than a proper performance space, so they're having to gouge the customers to get their money back. You'd think that with only 81 seats going per performance, they'd have chosen to stage something slightly more adventurous. Anyway, I'd already heard the Opéra national de Paris production with Barbara Hannigan (on a double bill with Bartók's Duke Bluebeard's Castle with John Relyea and Ekaterina Gubanova), and that might be enough to satisfy me. Why should I pay through the nose to see an opera I'm not that fond of when I can stream a great live performance from France? From where I sit, Paris is a lot closer than Long Beach.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 03-31-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-01-2016), lisarea (03-31-2016), livius drusus (03-31-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Robert Osborne to Miss TCM Classic Film Festival for the second year in a row due to unspecified "health issue". I'm worried about him, you guys. :worry:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-09-2016), Janet (04-14-2016), lisarea (08-08-2016), Nullifidian (04-09-2016), SharonDee (04-09-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 PM

I've been enjoying Jean Harlow day today. :unpop:
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-09-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 03:13 PM

I still miss TCM, but not the price I was paying Comcast for it.

But I get my Ben Mankiewicz fix by watching The Young Turks channel on YouTube. :beating:

Os-cah!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I am so excited for next Monday, Roddy McDowell day. I think I may finally get to see a film that's been haunting me since my teens. I saw it on Bill Kennedy at the Movies so I can't have been more than fifteen, probably younger. One scene has stayed with me all this time, of Roddy singing an ode to his analyst with the line "You saved my ego". A few years ago I decided to go online and see if I could figure out the title and I think I did. But once I did, it wasn't available for me to verify it. Now, at last, I will be able to watch The Cool Ones and find out if it's the right film and if it's any good. Maybe I'll finally exorcise that film demon.

And they're showing Lord Love a Duck too, which is one of my favorites. I do love black comedies and young Tuesday Weld being evil.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (08-09-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 PM

Michael Feinstein has to be the most awkward presenter of all time. His attempts to deliver the (admittedly bad) humor lines on Hedy Lamarr day were just cringeworthy.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-12-2016), Janet (09-07-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 AM

Two important TCM updates: 1) I'm really worried about Robert Osborne's extended absence, and 2) I would do unspeakable things to Robert Ryan.
Thanks, from:
Janet (11-09-2016)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 PM

And just like that, we are bereft. :bigtear:

Robert Osborne dies at 84; genial student of films hosted Turner Classic Movies - LA Times
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-07-2017), lisarea (03-06-2017), The Man (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:55 AM
Oh, brilliant.

It's probably difficult to overstate what a loss this is. After his conservation efforts in the West, TCM was probably Ted Turner's second greatest gift to the world, but Osborne was more responsible for its greatness than anyone else on the planet. I doubt there was anyone who knew more about film apart from possibly Roger Ebert, and now they're both gone. :sadcheer:

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Fool’s Gold · last.fm · soundcloud · Marathon Chronicles

Last edited by The Man; 03-08-2017 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Swype is not always very reliable
Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-08-2017), livius drusus (03-08-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 AM

Right, everyone. Prepare to go underground next weekend. TCM to Remember Robert Osborne with 48 Hour Tribute.

Quote:
Turner Classic Movies will dedicate two entire days to honor the legacy of longtime host Robert Osborne. Airing all day on Saturday, March 18 and Sunday, March 19, the 48-hour tribute will feature an extensive collection of the long-form interviews Osborne conducted during his 23 year tenure with the network, including:
-Memorable installments of Private Screenings and Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival.
-Special edition of Private Screenings where actor Alec Baldwin interviewed Osborne on the host's 20th anniversary at the network
-Robert's first-film introduction for the network of Gone with the Wind
-Among the Private Screenings specials featured during TCM's tribute to Osborne are his interviews with such legendary stars as Debbie Reynolds, Liza Minnelli, Betty Hutton and Ernest Borgnine.
-Installments of TCM's annual Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival featured will include Robert's intimate interviews with screen legends such as Peter O'Toole, Eva Marie Saint, Kim Novak, Alan Arkin and Luise Rainer, who was 101 at the time of the interview and without her hearing aids, a situation Osborne graciously worked around by writing each question out on a noteptad for her to read.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-10-2017), lisarea (03-10-2017), The Man (03-10-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature