Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Rodent of Unusual Size

Default Ann Coulter Gets The Boot

Apparently Ann Coulter has lost her spot as USA Today commentator at the Democratic National Convention. She typifies an anti-intellectual, polemicized style of writing all too common today. I'm not sure what USA Today thought they were getting when they hired her. The column that they canned fits well within her style.

They also hired Michael Moore to cover the Republican National Convention. I'm sure he will give a reasoned analysis in a similar vein.

- Donald
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Ann Coulter Gets The Boot

From Coulter's axed column:

Quote:
As for the pretty girls, I can only guess that it’s because liberal boys never try to make a move on you without the UN Security Council's approval. Plus, it’s no fun riding around in those dinky little hybrid cars. My pretty-girl allies stick out like a sore thumb amongst the corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chick pie wagons they call "women" at the Democratic National Convention.
This is a prime example of why discussions about Ann Coulter's looks can be pertinent to her politics: she makes them so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod
They also hired Michael Moore to cover the Republican National Convention. I'm sure he will give a reasoned analysis in a similar vein.
He he... I yearn for the days of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley doing convention commentary on live network television. Click here for a great summary of the 1968 fireworks as well as audio and videoclips of the luscious "crypto-Nazi" vs. "you queer" debate. :)

Last edited by livius drusus; 07-27-2004 at 10:22 PM. Reason: crypto not cryto... sigh
Old 07-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Rodent of Unusual Size

What wonderful footage! I had never seen this before. It was certainly a less scripted era of television.

I'm not sure what Ann's problem is, I like corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chicks. I have to admit I hadn't heard the term pie wagon before, but I guessed, based on the context, that it wasn't something flattering. She must have very low self-esteem.

After a moment's search I found this which made an unequivocal reference to pie wagons, but had even more important information regarding dating. I love the Internet!

- Donald
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
What wonderful footage! I had never seen this before. It was certainly a less scripted era of television.
It was indeed. Jack Paar's incomparable interviews are another example of how good live TV could be.

Quote:
I'm not sure what Ann's problem is, I like corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chicks. I have to admit I hadn't heard the term pie wagon before, but I guessed, based on the context, that it wasn't something flattering.
The bulk of those descriptors seem entirely innocuous to me. Why sandal-wearing is supposed to be an insult, I'll never know.

Quote:
She must have very low self-esteem.
Oh boy would she hate to know somebody out there thinks that.

Quote:
After a moment's search I found this which made an unequivocal reference to pie wagons, but had even more important information regarding dating. I love the Internet!
That's just evil. :D
Old 07-27-2004, 11:34 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
She must have very low self-esteem.
That must be the case. I can't even imagine what she's thinking or what she hopes to accomplish by being so nasty.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 AM
A Lover, Not A Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
He he... I yearn for the days of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley doing convention commentary on live network television. Click here for a great summary of the 1968 fireworks as well as audio and videoclips of the luscious "crypto-Nazi" vs. "you queer" debate. :)
:yup: I just saw that recently... priceless. Buckley's trademark sneer as he says "you queer".... what a moment.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:48 AM

It's about time Ann Coulter got fired from something again. Now we just need it to become a trend, and then for the trend to accelerate. She really pisses me off because I cannot recall her ever conceding a point, no matter how outrageous; that's the way she pisses me off most in practice. I truly despise her on the theoretical level because I suspect she's like Limbaugh, or Atlanta's local Neal Boortz: it's fucking performing. She's picked a role for herself to be the one who's so extreme and loud that she out-cons the neo-cons; wrap it up in the blond dye and rail-legged artificial beauty so many unthinking men buy as ideal sex appeal, and she has a character who will never lose and always be in demand in the TV and disposable print media. It is beyond conscienceless to say things like Timothy McVeigh should have blown up the New York Times Building or we need to bomb all Muslim countries and convert them to Christianity when you don't even believe them, you're just doing them for whorelike reasons of self-promotion and recompense.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM
mostly harmless

Blake, I think you've got it right. Aside from her never "conceding a point," I can rarely think of her actually making a point! She is performing. She's got her canned responses about us immoral liberals, and rarely actually bothers to answer questions posed to her.

As for the looks thing, I noticed some very well-groomed attractive women during the coverage of the DNC last night. This just shows that Ann doesn't even bother to pay attention to her opposition. She just invents her little diatribes and then spews them out at her next opportunity, relevant or not.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

*bump* Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I've been slack with my forum-reading responsibilities around here.

I only encountered Coulter about, oh, last year sometime, as referred to in an article by Anne Summers about feminist backlash culture (especially in Australia), and the lies and bullshit it's based on. I was shocked, to say the least. I mean, biased media and all that, but holy shit. How can anyone pass off the crap that comes out of her mouth as "with an ounce of logical thought" behind it I don't know.

There's a very similar wanker who writes for the only major newspaper in my state called Andrew Bolt. However, he doesn't quite work the words "pretty girls" into his articles as much, being a male and all. He just denies the genocide of the Indigenous peoples of Australia by the White Colonisers, whilst bitching about how left-wing the media has become (yes Andrew, even though your articles appear in all the papers around the state, even the little ones, and many of the ones in NSW, and each usually takes up 2 pages these days that *used* to be the letters section). Scary scary fucker.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
I truly despise her on the theoretical level because I suspect she's like Limbaugh, or Atlanta's local Neal Boortz: it's fucking performing.
According to David Brock's account in
Blinded By The Right, based on his own social encounters with Coulter, you're dead on.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law