Thanks, from:
The Man (05-16-2018)
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

Dogwhistle that just came to my attention:

Urban Dictionary: Legacy Media

Quote:
"Legacy media" is politi-speak that political conservatives use to identify long-standing ("mature") media outlets (such as the TV news networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc., and the major print news services - New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times., etc.) Typically, these ostensibly "left-wing" news outlets are critical of conservative political agendas. Why the conservative wordsmiths use "legacy media" instead of "liberal media" is a mystery. Perhaps they feel that the term "liberal media" has been kicked around too long and needs replacement.
liberal elite
"Many in the legacy media love mass shootings (because of the TV ratings they garner)."
Dana Loesch, spokesperson for the National Rifle Association, in a speech before the American Conservative Society, February 22, 2018.

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
The Man (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I suspect it's trying to tap into the notion that it's outdated and/or obsolete, as opposed to shiny, modern news sources such as Facebook and Patch.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), The Man (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Yesterday, I made the horrendous mistake of going onto Facebook. An acquaintance wanted my opinion regarding climate change.

Foolishly, I posted a calm, respectful comment -- including references and appropriate charts -- noting that no, there is no doubt that the Earth's mean temperature is rising, that sea levels are rising, that Arctic ice volume is rapidly declining (despite year-to-year variations), etc. All of this has been repeatedly verified and the data are readily available to anyone who cares to check for themselves.

Of course, the response was along the lines of: "Don't you stupid libtards know that all that data was faked?" "Arctic ice is increasing, not decreasing, which shows that all this global warming nonsense is nothing but lies from the liberal media." "Hey, don't you libtards know that there was more Arctic sea ice last year than in 2012? That proves global warming is a lie!" "It got down to 20 degrees once last December -- global warming is a hoax!"

And, well, you're probably all familiar with this sort of "discussion."

When I first started teaching, it was possible to tell students to go to the library, research a topic, and come up with a well-researched, well-reasoned opinion on the topic. Occasionally, students would even admit that -- *gasp* -- they had changed their minds after researching a topic and learning that their opinions were based on poor information and/or poor logic.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen any more. A lot of colleges don't even bother to maintain research libraries any more -- all "research" is done online. And students think that by typing something into Google, they're doing honest-to-goodness research. (Hint: that is not actual research.)

And, of course, almost no one nowadays has any understanding of the difference between primary sources and the random spewings of some know-nothing with an opinion and a keyboard -- much less how to tell the difference. Or even that there is a difference.

And, of course, there's a lot more of the latter (random spewings by know-nothings with opinions and keyboards) than the former (actual, carefully-conducted research).

So, it seems to me that we've reached the point where actual competence and expertise are considered all but worthless. Everyone has an opinion, facts and logic don't matter, and "debates" are "won" by whoever can shout down or wear down the opposition.

Gods, it gets so depressing. And it makes me fear for our future.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (Yesterday), ceptimus (Yesterday), JoeP (Yesterday), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), Sock Puppet (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Is that you, Carl Sagan?

:BC: :canada:

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law