Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 AM
silky...

Default Re: MAFIA - Game II (Peanut Gallery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian

After the decision was made, you asked to die in this thread. So, even better. You got what you wanted!!
and I appreciated it :thankee:
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 AM

I have volunteered to run Werewolf if people want. I just want to know if people are interested.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Admin

I don't mind having two games, but maybe we should have two signups then. I'd hate to get 20 signups (for instance) and then have to cut five of them to keep the game to 15.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

balluga why dont you start a second werewolf signup and see whats up with it. if it doesnt start till tuesday i will probably be down for it.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

In a couple weeks or so, I would be interested in GMing a Werewolf game. I would enjoy crafting the narrative on that one immensely. I want to finish playing at least one first, probably two.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Hey y'all, check out wei's thread proposing a new game forum. Input es muy bueno.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:30 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Okay... A few questions.

The doctor. I assume that the only person who knows who the doctor is, is the doctor. This would seemingly allow the doctor to protect, unwittingly, a mafioso. Right?

The doctor can protect anyone from a night kill...I'm assuming that he cannot protect a lynched player. Is that right? Also, it notes if there are two killers (mafia and vigilante) and they both select the same target, then the doctor cannot save the player. Can the doctor protect themselves?

It would seem as though someone in the exchange would know more about the other person...either the doctor would know the status of their patient (townie vs. mafia) and/or the patient would know who the doctor was. If the doctor knows, then they would be constrained by the Hippocratic Oath from outing the patient, but the patient would be under no such obligation to the doctor. Take it into consideration.

Can the doctor protect themselves?

The vigilante; must this role kill each night? It would seem to me that a real vigilante would be a lot more erratic in their actions than just random, particularly early in the game. I personally think this role should be allowed the kill/no kill option each night, rather than being required to kill each night.

Lastly....the term "tell" is used frequently. I'm interpreting these as being ways to tell whether a particular player is a specific role or not. It also seems to me that no "tell" is particularly telling.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:00 AM

The exact details of each role is entirely up to the GM. The way IIDB/FFers usually play, the doctor cannot protect himself, doesn't get any information about their "patient", cannot protect a person twice in a row, and is ineffectvie against lynchings.

I don't know if it was ever decided whether the doctor can protect from a double-team killing.

It does seem weird that the person being protected doesn't even know they were protected, much less the doctor's identity, but game balance needs to take precedence over realism, IMO. Not that I've put a whole lot of thought into that issue, but the people at mafiascum seem to play that way, which says something about how well it works.

Vigilante: up to the GM, in Mafia game 2 the vig was forced to kill each night.

You're spot on about the term "tell". It mostly comes from information in the mafiascum.net wiki. Players there observe trends in mafia/cop/doc behavior and wrote them down. Of course, if a player is aware of the existence of a tell they may deliberately play a different way. Or they might play the same as the "tell", hoping others will expect them to avoid tells. That's WIFOM for you.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
Okay... A few questions.

The doctor. I assume that the only person who knows who the doctor is, is the doctor. This would seemingly allow the doctor to protect, unwittingly, a mafioso. Right?
Yes, the doctor can protect a mafioso, and that does happen, but mostly in the earily game when the doctor doesnt have that much to go on.

Quote:
The doctor can protect anyone from a night kill...I'm assuming that he cannot protect a lynched player. Is that right?
The doctor can protect anyone alive that night.

Quote:
Also, it notes if there are two killers (mafia and vigilante) and they both select the same target, then the doctor cannot save the player.
The doctor only protects from mafia kills, not vigilante kills, so a person targeted by both would still die..

Quote:
Can the doctor protect themselves?
In some games the doctor can protect themselves, in others they cant. It is up to the GM of that game.

Quote:
It would seem as though someone in the exchange would know more about the other person...either the doctor would know the status of their patient (townie vs. mafia) and/or the patient would know who the doctor was. If the doctor knows, then they would be constrained by the Hippocratic Oath from outing the patient, but the patient would be under no such obligation to the doctor. Take it into consideration.
It is more that the person had a pre-arranged meeting with the doctor that they forgot about. When they come in for their physical nothing is discovered that gives them away. All the doctor does is come in the room after the nurse and asks if everything is ok. But there has been an outbreak of some sort so both the doctor and person must wear a mask that hides their idenity.

Quote:
The vigilante; must this role kill each night? It would seem to me that a real vigilante would be a lot more erratic in their actions than just random, particularly early in the game. I personally think this role should be allowed the kill/no kill option each night, rather than being required to kill each night.
Again this is up to the GM in each game to decide. The defualt rule is the vigilante must kill every night.

Quote:
Lastly....the term "tell" is used frequently. I'm interpreting these as being ways to tell whether a particular player is a specific role or not. It also seems to me that no "tell" is particularly telling.
There are some tells that are very telling. Look through the wiki at mafiascum for some of the more common ones. Looking over past games and GM some games, I have seen people make a statement about their role like they didnt have it.

Tells depend on who is playing the game. With newer people there will be many tells due to inexperience. But as people gain experience they will know what the tells are and stop making them. That leads to a time when everyone knows what the tells are and not to make them, and people expect the tells not to be made, so tells can be made without them being tells. Just a bunch of Wine in front of me.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum