Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: North American Solar eclipse 8/21/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
The earth is moving about the sun at 108,000 km per hour.

The moon is moving about the sun at 108,000 km per hour.

The moon moves about the earth at 2,288 km per hour.

The moon is moving about the sun at 108,000 km per hour minus 2,288 km per hour, and plus 2,288 km hour.

As the moon moves in front of the earth it must accelerate beyond the speed of the earth, but then it needs to decelerate as it moves behind the earth, otherwise it loses its distance to the earth, and its orbit of the earth.

What force speeds and slows the moon?
The moon moves around the Earth at a nearly constant speed, the gravity of the Sun has only a small effect on the Moon so any acceleration due to the Sun's gravity will be countered by the same gravity in the opposite direction.

The change in velocity of the Moon is only apparent velocity and not a real change in velocity relative to the Earth. There is no acceleration or deceleration due to this apparent change in velocity because there is little or no change in velocity relative to the Earth. Your question would only have any meaning in the Flat-Earth model, and that is nonsense.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

The moon is moving about the sun at 108,000 km per hour minus 2,288 km per hour, and plus 2,288 km hour.

As the moon moves in front of the earth it must accelerate beyond the speed of the earth, but then it needs to decelerate as it moves behind the earth, otherwise it loses its distance to the earth, and its orbit of the earth.

You've got it backwards, when the Moon moves between the Sun and the Earth it is moving in the opposite direction than the Earth, so it would be 108,000 Km per hour minus 2,288 Km per hour, and when the Moon is on the side of the Earth away from the Sun it moves the same direction as the Earth, so it would be 108,000 Km Per Hour plus 2,288 Km per hour. But these velocities are only apparent as the velocity around the Earth is a relatively constant 2,288 Km per hour and as this doesn't change except due to the elliptical orbit and the small effect of the Sun's gravity.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Right, you can only make it work by removing the three dimensional aspect, and the three body aspect of the model. It does not work as a full three dimensional, three body model when all the parts are put together.

You have to remove the earth and moon's movement around the sun to make your model work. That, in and of itself, debunks the model.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 AM

All Jerome offers is elementary confusions. I was thinking of setting him straight, but he has a long track record of never conceding that he is in error about anything, so I think that his response will be some version of "I close my eyes and I don't see it."
Old 08-05-2017, 04:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
All Jerome offers is elementary confusions. I was thinking of setting him straight, but he has a long track record of never conceding that he is in error about anything, so I think that his response will be some version of "I close my eyes and I don't see it."
Go ahead and post, as I stated in post #113 there may be others who would benefit from the information.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Jerome, are you working on that flat map?
Thanks, from:
Kyuss Apollo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:35 PM
here to bore you with pictures

I'd rather not engage Jerome with whatever his current batch of assumed idiocy is. Rather, I'll show off some practice shots.

I have 2 zoom telephoto lenses. One is the Canon kit lens and one is the "superzoom" lens I purchased for our trip. Both wind up at the same maximum focal length of 250mm, which is really inadequate for the task I'm attempting, IMHO. The superzoom lens is supposed to be a better lens overall, but it's not so much better that I can see a significant difference. This setup seems to be less prone to internal reflections, so I think this is my current setup choice.

That is a tiny sunspot on an otherwise featureless image of the Sun. I confirmed it wasn't just a dust mote by moving the camera a bit and then taking another picture. The spot stayed in the same place relative to the Sun.
IMG_4366.jpg

I can't say that I'm happy with these pictures, but I need a significantly better telephoto lens if I want anything better. I may look into renting a pro quality telephoto for the actual eclipse.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-05-2017), JoeP (08-05-2017), The Man (08-11-2017), Watser? (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM
here to bore you with pictures

The color is "as shot" - it looks a little pink. I could color correct it, but I think that color is accurate considering the haze in the area.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:29 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
That is a tiny sunspot on an otherwise featureless image of the Sun. I confirmed it wasn't just a dust mote by moving the camera a bit and then taking another picture. The spot stayed in the same place relative to the Sun.
Attachment 10530
Is it possible the spot was a planet? I don't know how fast those move or if they look stationery at that distance but another kind of scientician might.

Either way that pic is awesome. I'm excited to see your eclipse photos.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

A planetary transit can take up to several hours, so it's not physically impossible.

However, neither Mercury nor Venus transits the Sun this year. The next time Mercury will transit the Sun (from the perspective of a viewer on Earth) is in 2019. The next time Venus will transit the Sun isn't until 2117.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-05-2017), The Man (08-11-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Right.
You've been watching too many flat-Earth video's that are filling your head with nonsense.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I just showed my grandchildren a safe way to watch the eclipse. A paper plate with a pin hole in the middle and a sheet of paper held at a distance and you get a very nice image of the Sun on the paper. The farther away the plate is the larger the image. It's a way to look at the eclipse without a telescope and filter and without looking directly at the Sun. I just wonder how many people are going to damage their eyes by looking directly at the eclipse?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
I can't say that I'm happy with these pictures, but I need a significantly better telephoto lens if I want anything better. I may look into renting a pro quality telephoto for the actual eclipse.
I'm traveling to Brooklyn tomorrow to see my granddaughter and her family, but I'll try to remember to ask my daughter if she is planning to photograph the eclipse. She is a photographer and has some good equipment, I'm not sure if she has a solar filter.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:

The Earth's gravity.

This is all very-well-understood physics, and I don't want to have to deliver a whole course in the physics of planetary motion. Especially if you are then going to blow it off with some childish excuse or other.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

There is no acceleration or de-acceleration of the speed of the Moon. The Moon moves at a relatively constant 2,288 Km per hour around the Earth, anything else is apparent motion as opposed to real motion. There is no additional force needed as there is little change in velocity.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 PM
ChuckF's sock

South Carolina Warns of Possible ‘Lizardmen’ During Solar Eclipse

The South Carolina Emergency Management Division, in a Tweet, has issued a tongue-in-cheek advisory on possible paranormal activity during the Aug 21 event, noting that "SCEMD does not know if Lizardmen become more active during a solar eclipse, but we advise that residents of Lee and Sumter counties should remain ever vigilant."

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (08-15-2017), JoeP (08-12-2017), lisarea (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

It sounds like the guys down at the SCEM have some cosplay plans for the eclipse event day.
JoeP (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
Quote:
The Earth's gravity.
So gravity knows when to speed up the moon and knows when to slow down the moon, it has a metering system of some sort?

You know its absurd, and doesn't fit the scientific explanation of how gravity works, that is why you declined to explain it.

The fact that the moon slows down and speeds up so as to stay in orbit of the Earth, as both objects go around the sun, this debunks the spinning globe model.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
There is no acceleration or de-acceleration of the speed of the Moon. The Moon moves at a relatively constant 2,288 Km per hour around the Earth, anything else is apparent motion as opposed to real motion. There is no additional force needed as there is little change in velocity.
The earth and moon go round the Sun, the moon has to go faster than the earth around the sun to get ahead of the earth, and has to slow down going round the sun to get behind the earth.

This is your model.

The moon can not have a consistent velocity around the sun, otherwise it could not keep orbit of earth.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Notice that lpetrich and thedoc disagree on the model...

Thedoc says there is no change in velocity, and Ipetrich says the change in velocity is caused by gravity.

Told you guys, you don't understand your model.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Notice that lpetrich and thedoc disagree on the model...

Thedoc says there is no change in velocity, and Ipetrich says the change in velocity is caused by gravity.

Told you guys, you don't understand your model.
There is no disagreement, the Moon has a relatively constant speed in it's orbit of the Earth due to Earth's gravity. The acceleration and deceleration relative to the Sun is apparent motion, not real motion. There is no real acceleration or deceleration, Only minor changes in velocity, except in Jerome's false model.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:36 AM

Wait, you are claiming the speed of the moon relative to the sun does not change?

Like really??
Old 08-12-2017, 01:38 AM

See your problem? You can't model the three objects at the same time, you can only look at moon/earth, or moon/sun, or earth/sun.

You can't reconcile those views with moon/earth/sun.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:03 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Jerome, where is that flat map? Working on it?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Wait, you are claiming the speed of the moon relative to the sun does not change?

Like really??
I didn't say that, I said the velocity of the moon relative to the Sun is apparent motion. It only seems to speed up and slow down from the perspective of the Earth, there is no appreciable change in velocity in it's orbit. You need to learn something about real Celestial mechanics rather than the flat-Earth nonsense that you seem to be spouting.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences