Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Admin

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

Huh, thanks for the review. I guess that's two Big Nothing's for Simon Pegg now. I hope the third time is a charm and recaptures some of Shaun's magic.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Spiderman 3 (as mentioned elsewhere) and 28 Weeks Later this weekend. I thought 28 Weeks was great, but I preferred the prequel (28 Days Later).

I saw 28 Weeks Later yesterday.

I saw Hot Fuzz last weekend, by the same people who did Shaun of the Dead. I thought it was pretty good. Not so outright funny as was Shaun of the Dead, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. After the slow buildup, the last 30 minutes or so have to be seen to be believed. [Note: There are a few scenes that are pretty graphic and perhaps not for the faint of heart.]

Cheers,

Michael
Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Admin

Agreed on all points about 28 Weeks, TLR. What did you think about the fact that infection was nearly instantaneous following exposure? Feasible?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 PM

A virus that takes about 10 seconds to get into your cells and cause that many physiological and behavioral changes? Not in the least feasible. Also, a virus that caused its victims to spew that much blood and other bodily fluids would surely kill them PDQ -- you wouldn't have to wait for the zombies to starve to death.

Still, an interesting and pretty well-made pair of movies.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
viscousmemories (05-13-2007)
Old 05-20-2007, 03:32 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Just watched The Aristocrats...

Fucking hilarious!

Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Admin

I think I watched less than half of The Queen before I found out that V for Vendetta was playing on HBO, at which point I switched. I have no idea why the former received so much critical acclaim. I'd rather watch water boil.

Also, Natalie Portman is still my God.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 AM
A fellow sophisticate

You uncultured cretin. And yes, Natalie Portman is heavenly. Hand off though, for she is mine, I saw her first.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Fishy mokey

I have not seen it recently, but with all the fighting in Gaza and in Lebanon (and of course Iraq) I keep thinking of No Man's Land, a Bosnian movie from 2001. It is funny at times but it does give a sense of hopelessness to being able to solve wars like these. All the characters are unsympathetic (except maybe the idealistic UN commander in the field). The Bosnians and the Serb are fanatics, the UN higher-ups are indecisive or are trying to save face, the press is only looking for stories that sell and the idealistic UN commander is ultimately powerless (though he plays the press to his advantage). In the end the locals still destroy each other and themselves. Very good movie but a bit depressing.

Oh yeah, the language problems in the UN are pretty funny :giggles:
Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Babby Police

The Yes Men.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Granwyth Hulatberi.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Quality Contributor

It was my turn to watch Hot Fuzz yesterday. Loved it, absolutely loved it!
:yup:
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM

I saw Ratatoille last night, and really enjoyed it. Pixar hasn't let me down yet!

Cheers,

Michael
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Raping the Marlboro Man

HAHAHAHAHA MINE IS AN EVIL LAUGH FOR I HAVE SEEN TRANSFORMERS AND YOU HAVEN'T
Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

We went to see my cousin's new movie, Stephanie Daley, this weekend.

It's not the kind of thing I would have usually gone to see, but I was glad we did. It was really well done. I swear. You should go see it.

Oh, and for some reason, Sage Francis is in it. As, like, "friend of guy in car" or one of those things like that, according to the credits.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Saw Fantastic Four yesterday, it was campy. Good plot but poorly acted. Alba doesn't look hot at all in the movie, which made it stink all the more.

Going to see Transformers on the 4th. Also want to see The Invasion, and War. I bet War is going to be awesome.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Admin

I thought FF was decent, but I agree that there was no quality Albasploitation. A real shame, given that she is physically perfect.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM

I saw Fantastic Four II a week or so ago. It wasn't all that, but it was a big improvement over the first one -- not that this is saying very much. The actors seemed a lot more comfortable in their roles this time around than they did the first time.

Jessica Alba still can't act, but, in fairness, she was a lot better than in the first one. In that, she "acted" like she was in a high school play or something.

And, you know, I appreciate a story in which people are gifted with great powers and instead of everyone envying or mistrusting them, people accept them -- and instead of the "heroes" spending all their time whining about how they don't "fit in" and how they're "alone," their first instinct is to use their gifts to help people. I get tired of movies in which the "heroes" are either psychological basket cases or complete jerks, and/or spend their time whining about how having these special powers really sucks and nobody loves them.

Ratatouille was quite entertaining. Like your standard Pixar movie, it had a great story with well-drawn characters. Of course there were misunderstandings; Remy's family didn't understand why he wanted to associate with humans and learn to cook, but even so, it was clear that they loved him, and they didn't ostracize him for his strange behavior.

The movie had a message, of course, but they didn't beat you over the head with it. In the end, everyone got what was coming to him or her, but not in the way that you expected.

More than most of Pixar's other movies, this one is aimed squarely at adults, it seems to me. Oh, there's enough action and physical humor to keep older kids interested, but it's a very story- and character-driven movie, and would probably bore younger kids.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
And, you know, I appreciate a story in which people are gifted with great powers and instead of everyone envying or mistrusting them, people accept them -- and instead of the "heroes" spending all their time whining about how they don't "fit in" and how they're "alone," their first instinct is to use their gifts to help people. I get tired of movies in which the "heroes" are either psychological basket cases or complete jerks, and/or spend their time whining about how having these special powers really sucks and nobody loves them.
Except ...

Quote:
Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I saw FF4-2 as well. It was campy, as mentioned.

I didn't really pay any mind to the lack of Alba-objectification, but I did notice that the Silver Surfer just had a silver bulge in spite of his nudity.

Ok, well, surely you can at least remember that there's a scene where Alba's clothes get burned off and she's lying naked on the sidewalk.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Yes, FF would have been a much better movie, if not for the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Ok, well, surely you can at least remember that there's a scene where Alba's clothes get burned off and she's lying naked on the sidewalk.
"Why does this always happen to me?"

In the comics, Sue Storm-Richards is a genius married to a supergenius. Somehow, poor Jessica Alba doesn't quite manage to convince me that she's a world-class intellect.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Yep, it was. I don't know if they were trying to flesh out the characters or not, because there will be a FF #3 eventually, but it failed. Miserably.

Quote:
"Why does this always happen to me?"

In the comics, Sue Storm-Richards is a genius married to a supergenius. Somehow, poor Jessica Alba doesn't quite manage to convince me that she's a world-class intellect.
It's because they were going for laughs, and failed. They did stray a bit more from the comic IMO, than they have for other movies ... and this was one of the things they strayed from.

Though, I must admit ... I like their depiction of Galactus a bit more than how he is drawn in the comics.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM

For the first time in a while, it seems like I've been seeing plenty of very good movies. Little Miss Sunshine was one I saw several months back, but I really loved it! In the past 4 months I've also seen V For Vendetta and Stranger Than Fiction....I loved both. More recently:

-Last King of Scotland (Forest Whitaker was absolutely amazing in it)
-Children of Men
-Pan's Labyrinth (then watched his other, earlier movie, Devil's Backbone, which was also really good and I highly recommend)
- Maybe this doesn't count as recent since the movie is not at all new, but I watched Grave of Fireflies about a month ago and it made me cry. Cartoon or not, it was so goddamn sad (and well-made).

Next up on my Netflix cue is Notes From a Scandal. I've read several good reviews on it, and heard the acting was wonderful, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Pardon - it's Notes ON a Scandal, not from :doh:
Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 PM

This probably doesn't count as a "good" movie but I finally saw Plan 9 From Outer Space this weekend. (The movie "almost starring Bela Lugosi.") My experience was helped along by listening to Michael J. Nelson's RiffTrax mp3 while I watched.
:MST3000:
Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 PM

I saw "Waitress" recently. The writer/director/supporting star Adrienne Shelly was murdered after the completion of the film, apparently by a construction worker to whom she complained about noise. He beat her to death, and then hanged her inside of her shower to make it look like suicide. The movie has received good reviews, but I was dubious because I figured they were homages to the dead. However, the movie was very good, in a quirky way. None of the characters were realistic – they were all humorous stereotypes, but some were quite funny.

I also saw “Hot Fuzz”, which is a British take-off on cop films, made by the director and star who made “Shaun of the Dead”. It was OK (at best).

Then I went to a Danish movie called (in English) “After the Wedding”. It’s a contrived melodrama, but the characters are interesting and well played. It’s about a serious do-gooder who runs an orphanage in India. He has to go back to Denmark to raise money for his orphanage. But the rich guy who may donate the money has his own agenda, which only becomes clear as the movie progresses.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoe
Though, I must admit ... I like their depiction of Galactus a bit more than how he is drawn in the comics.
Yeah, Galactus as depicted in the comics would have looked really stupid on the movie screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadalya
- Maybe this doesn't count as recent since the movie is not at all new, but I watched Grave of Fireflies about a month ago and it made me cry. Cartoon or not, it was so goddamn sad (and well-made).
If Grave of the Fireflies doesn't make you cry, nothing will.

Cheers,

Michael

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature