Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM
Forum gadfly

Default A sense of humor

How often do you laugh? Serious question.

Watching a documentary on laughter (back in 2005) they told us the peak age for laughter is 5 years old.

(thanks to our Shitpost Sommelier for those two)

After some brief thought I realized that statistic was for Western children. And I perceived it was probably because of forced school.

By the age of 10 most kids aren't laughing that much, and after puberty, it's rare.

This is not true in primitive societies at all.

Online,your view of my person, in this little box (phone or computer or tablet) you see me in, that isn't reality. It's not even close. As an actual human being, I'm not anything like what you perceive.

Some people, usually control freaks or woketards, Twitter/Facebook/Google employees, and especially politicians, find humor reason enough to try and kill you.

Posting that comic (which made me chuckle when I got it), will get you banned from all kinds of online spaces.

Not here, not X, but almost anywhere else. (I was banned for doing it, this is not hyperbole)

Now that made me laugh out loud.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-19-2024, 12:36 PM
Forum gadfly

Default Re: A sense of humor

I found Stonetoss while looking at the "the left can't meme" meme. She didn't make me laugh so much as it made me laugh that the fascists censors and woke morons would lose their damn minds if you posted a Stonetoss comic.

And of course, like with the Babylon Bee and Dilbert, I was annoyed that every last cancel culture woke-as-fuck shithead was crying for the artists to be killed.

When the mob starts killing Comedians, I know those comics are saying something profound.

- Richard P. Feynman

Last edited by -FX-; 01-19-2024 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added source
Old 01-19-2024, 04:13 PM
Rambling Old Fart

A Sense of Humor?
Yeah, I got one of those.
It's around here, somewhere, ..., Hang on,
Damn, it seems to have wandered off. er, I'll get back to you on that.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:19 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Ah too bad FX. Now we have to murder you. :sadyup:
JoeP (01-20-2024), mickthinks (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 05:41 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
I found Stonetoss while looking at the "the left can't meme" meme. She didn't make me laugh so much as it made me laugh that the fascists censors and woke morons would lose their damn minds if you posted a Stonetoss comic.

And of course, like with the Babylon Bee and Dilbert, I was annoyed that every last cancel culture woke-as-fuck shithead was crying for the artists to be killed.

When the mob starts killing Comedians, I know those comics are saying something profound.
:clown:s gonna :clown: "No true Scotsman" fallacy. Maybe twice. Or maybe the "strawman" fallacy.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:10 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

[nothing]

Last edited by Ari; 01-19-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:17 PM
California Sober

Quote:

All four of the vowels in queue are silent.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Rambling Old Fart

The Bee gets a hit, now and again, but they are basically just an evangelical 'Onion'.

Last edited by LarsMac; 01-19-2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:31 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The Bee gets a hit, now and again, but they are basically just an evangelical 'Onion'.
The Onion is on average better than the Babylon Bee. The distinction is that the Onion has traditionally been primarily focused on humor. Making a joke and making it funny has always been the first and primary focus.

Places like the Bee are written from a specific viewpoint, and the humor is always secondary. It can be funny, but only if it fits within the doctrine.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-21-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:45 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The Onion is on average better than the Babylon Bee. The distinction is that the Onion has traditionally been primarily focused on humor. Making a joke and making it funny has always been the first and primary focus.

Places like the Bee are written from a specific viewpoint, and the humor is always secondary. It can be funny, but only if it fits within the doctrine.
Just took a look at the most recent Bee page.
That shit's just not funny, unless you're a fucking Trump snorting Evangelical.

OopS! Wait,
Hmmm, this shows some promise: Trump Offers DeSantis Coveted Administration Position Spinning Trump Sign On Street Corner
Stephen Maturin (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:50 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
The Onion is on average better than the Babylon Bee.
Maybe, but I found the Bee's thing about Trump offering Ramaswamy the coveted position of manager of the White House 7-11 sidesplittingly hilarious.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (01-19-2024), specious_reasons (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:55 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
.. I found the Bee's thing about Trump offering Ramaswamy the coveted position of manager of the White House 7-11 sidesplittingly hilarious.
I have not looked at the Bee all week.

Trump Offers DeSantis Coveted Administration Position Spinning Trump Sign On Street Corner | Babylon Bee

Hahaha. It's even funnier because you turned me on to it. Thanks.

Like with Stonetoss, the Bee punches everybody with the same clown pie

Since online memes have been declared dangerous, criminal, even "a terrorist activity", or "election interference", and you can actually go to prison for just possessing one, the satire and parody of years past now seems prophetic, rather than sardonic humor.

Quote:
Saul Alinsky wrote in Rules for Radicals that “through humour much is accepted that would have been rejected if presented seriously”. Or as comedian Andrew Doyle put it: “You’re far more likely to remember a joke than an argument.” But perhaps because we live in such a serious and pious climate, the authorities have never been more scared of jokes.
In fact, entire stories from the past about humor, the leftist-fascists, and governments making humor illegal, now seem meaningless.

Quote:
Earlier this year an EU report warned that online memes were a menace to society, potentially dangerous to social peace. These memes, it said, are being used “to rebrand extremist positions in an ironic guise, blurring the lines between mischief and potentially radicalising messaging. The result is a nihilistic form of humour that is directed against ethnic and sexual minorities and deemed to inspire violent fantasies — and eventually action.”

The document identified a number of popular Right-wing memes, including Pepe the Frog and Wojak, the former symbolising “a kind of superior nonchalance toward others, helping to normalise hostile attitudes toward minorities and political opponents” and “anti-elite arrogance and condescension”.

"Earlier this year" means 3 years ago from right now.

Quote:
“No great movement designed to change the world can bear sarcasm or mockery, because they are a rust that corrodes everything it touches.” So wrote the Czech writer Milan Kundera in his novel The Joke.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-19-2024, 08:03 PM
Rambling Old Fart

On the other hand, The Onion seems to be a bit less judgemental.
Republicans React To Trump’s ‘Poisoning The Blood’ Comments,

right?
[my favorite, so far - snicker]“Liberals are hyping this up to distract from all the good racism he does.”
Sock Puppet (01-19-2024), specious_reasons (01-19-2024), Stephen Maturin (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 08:50 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
At publishing time, Trump had also offered Nikki Haley the coveted position of grilling Trump Steaks at every MAGA rally.
:laugh:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-21-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 09:04 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Authenticity is the key, and Clinton’s attempt at making popular cultural references aimed at younger voters always sounded flat. Similarly, just as Hillary’s Twitter account was clearly written by a group of insufferable Ivy League graduates, especially crafted for the election strategy, Trump’s tweets were obviously written by the mad bastard himself; they were authentic, just as he was authentic, and, despite his immense faults as a human being, also very funny.
Just a moment...

Quote:
When reached for a response, the DeSantis campaign refused to comment specifically on Trump's offer. "We're not going to speculate on any hypothetical position with the Trump administration," said a campaign spokesperson. "We're focused on putting on a strong performance in New Hampshire and taking another step closer to winning the Republican nomination by only coming in 20 points behind Trump this time around."
Trump Offers DeSantis Coveted Administration Position Spinning Trump Sign On Street Corner | Babylon Bee

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
So wrote the Czech writer Milan Kundera in his novel The Joke.
The Joke: The Musical

:lol:@"These holes three are not for thee."

Thanks, from:
mickthinks (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 09:18 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
We received a notice from Twitter last night informing us that we've been locked out of our account for engaging in "hateful conduct." Our crime? We jokingly selected Rachel Levine - a prominent transgender government official - as our pick for "Man of the Year." (This was our satirical response to Levine's being named one of the top women of the year by USA Today. Yes, that actually happened.)

We've been told our account will be restored in 12 hours, but the countdown won't begin until we delete the tweet that violates Twitter Rules.

Here's Twitter's statement to the media regarding our account's suspension: "The account you referenced has been temporarily locked for violating our hateful conduct policy. The account owner is required to delete the violative Tweet before regaining access to their account."

Twitter could, of course, delete the tweet themselves. But they won't. It's not enough for them to just wipe it out. They want us to bend the knee and admit that we engaged in hateful conduct.

I can promise you that's not happening. Truth is not hate speech. If the cost of telling the truth is the loss of our Twitter account, then so be it. We won't compromise the truth just to keep our account.
Twitter Suspends The Babylon Bee | Babylon Bee

When I read the Elon Musk tweet, in which he stated the Banning of the Bee was the reason he decided to buy Twitter, I knew there was still a final hope for comedy, and those with a sense of humor.

When I read internet experts predicting Twitter would stop working, would die, would suck, I knew the Musk Twitter would be a huge success.

As of 2024, Twitter is the most popular social platform for news and current events.

It's also a source of uncensored comedy, and with out question the best social media for those with a sense of humor

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-21-2024, 05:16 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

It's like when you're riding a bus and that dude wrapped in old piss blankets smelling of old and new shit gets on and starts ranting about the CIA spying on him. He's clearly in some mental episode and laughing at him feels bad, but then he'll sit down and settle in and will eventually get off but instead he makes sure to rub himself on every seat and person, while screaming in their face, and eventually I think, 'ya know there's another bus in 8 minutes, I don't have to be here.'

Your 'humor' is copy and pasted from teenagers and adult men who love hanging around teenagers who are constantly replaying high school in hopes that this time they won't be the loser. These are the creepy drama filled desperate insecure easily manipulated angry pedophilic people you scream about and you do nothing but make sure their shit is spread everywhere because to people who haven't exited high school, 'triggering' people by shitting yourself is still funny.

I think I might find another bus for the time being.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-22-2024), Sock Puppet (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 07:52 PM
Forum gadfly

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-22-2024, 03:02 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Crumb (01-22-2024), JoeP (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:29 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

The Bee used to be pretty funny, and every so often they still are, but mostly now they're just mean, and don't really have a joke other than "look at these idiots being wrong, not like us". And yeah, I think a lot of that is just that they have a very strong ideological position to be committed to. The Onion probably has a position at all, but they will mock people on their "side" of a given issue if there's something funny to be said.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Forum gadfly

Default Re: A sense of humor redux

I noticed nobody answered the question.

Watching a documentary on laughter (back in 2005) they told us the peak age for laughter is 5 years old.

After some brief thought I realized that statistic was for Western children. And I perceived it was probably because of forced school.

By the age of 10 most kids aren't laughing that much, and after puberty, it's rare.

Another factoid in the documentary, mentioned in passing, was that we will not laugh with somebody we do not like. I considered this and realized it is absolutely true.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 01-22-2024, 05:33 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: A sense of humor redux

Quote:
I noticed nobody answered the question.

Every day, dude.
Quote:

You heard a factoid and then made something up to fit it based on your preconceived notions about education. :doh:

Quote:
This is not my experience. Not sure why you think this is true. Even your one poorly cited factoid does not claim this.

Quote:
More unsupported nonsense from the ass of FX. How the fuck do you think you know this? Do you think you can just make up information and it becomes real? Do you think facts just feel right? That is not how things work.
Quote:
Another factoid in the documentary, mentioned in passing, was that we will not laugh with somebody we do not like. I considered this and realized it is absolutely true.
Because it felt true? Do you think that is a reliable source of truth?
JoeP (01-23-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:50 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Frivolity RULES!!!
Old 01-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Forum gadfly

I think the political humor doesn't actually make people lol

- Richard P. Feynman

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature