Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

DISCLAIMER: I can in no way be responsible for how people react to this trailer.

Firstly, I'm going to say it does look like a cute idea for a show. Though I'd dispense with the strict and actual police procedural portion and reframe it as a "night club owner who helps people get what they want," there will be plenty of people who get their lives back together and on track, marriages and families saved and then a smattering of bad people who get to do their bad things, because it's the Devil, dammit, and he's all about actual Free Will and not Love Me Or Else. Secondly: "Where do you think all of those demons and etc go?" Let me tell you: Nowhere. According to the source material, there is no escape, the pain and torture is eternal and unending. And finally: Despite my stupid thought that this actually looks cute, I know it does not in any way resemble the Vertigo comics or the character as created by Neil Gaiman. And that is terrible.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-12-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), wei yau (05-14-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I have no idea whatsoever why something like this would be a police procedural. That's about all I have to say. Well, that and he should totally be blond.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-12-2015), wei yau (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am in. I am in like Flynn. Yes, being an early adopting fan can be disappointing, but right now I don't care.

Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-15-2015), Janet (05-15-2015), wei yau (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 02:43 AM
Tellifying

I'm right there with you, my friend.

A bright, cheery and joyful hero who loves being a superhero. Who actually *wants* to be a superhero.

I'm not even feeling cynical or negative about this one, I just want in.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

"Girly" stuff aside (and that stuff is important too because it takes all kinds), it looks like it'll find that sweet spot that Flash occupies.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I just hope they don't turn it into Superman with a girl character, because really I'm getting tired of superman.

I'm not up on my lore, exactly how stupid are the Kryptonians? Part of the point of space travel is so your planet exploding isn't a species ending event. Also did they know yellow suns would basically make them Gods?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:45 AM

Arrow:
Um... ok.
It was almost like the writers were like 'Yeah we weren't really sure either, better luck next season!'
I don't think I've seen a season finale I've had less to say about, pretty much the only thing is,
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-14-2015), Janet (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Alert Re: DC Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I
I'm not up on my lore, exactly how stupid are the Kryptonians? Part of the point of space travel is so your planet exploding isn't a species ending event. Also did they know yellow suns would basically make them Gods?
Obviously, there's been a lot of backfilling and retroactive continuity-ing done for this. Originally there wasn't much known about Kryptonians other than Jor-El was a brilliant scientist and a desperate father. It's been expanded so that Kryptonian science and society was very advanced but also selfish and xenophobic. In various continuities, exploring other galaxies and seeding other planets is forbidden. Also, the "destiny" of the Last Son of Krypton has been expanded. It's gone from simply doing whatever it takes to save his son to knowing how he could inspire people and lead them into tomorrow. It's never really been a singlular, all inclusive story. Writers and creators add to and subtract from it depending on the needs of their story and how the continuity is perceived at the time.

Remember above all else: Comics. Are. Weird.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-14-2015), Dingfod (05-15-2015), Janet (05-15-2015), wei yau (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Tellifying

Arrow, Arrow, Arrow

Last edited by wei yau; 05-14-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-14-2015), Janet (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on all of it. But the flashbacks in previous seasons were useful and important to the story. Most of the stories of his time actually on the island are okay enough.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Tellifying

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I can't even. I literally can't even.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow - First Look - YouTube
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I, on the other ham, don't know how to feel about it. I mean, it's saddled with the Not Blue Beetle, the miraculously resurrected now White Canary, both of which are forgivable, I guess. I'm torn, see. I like Caity Lotz and it's great to have her back in universe but they're white washing a character to do it. And we both agree about what's not right about the Not Blue Beetle. The inclusion of actual non-repentant villains though really sticks in my craw. At least I can get hyped for Hawk Woman. I mean, it'll be tough not comparing her to the one I already know, but I can manage that.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-15-2015), wei yau (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Tellifying

Believe me, I hate that Not-Blue-Beetle is front and center, I do. But, I don't really mind Lazarus Pit-revived White Canary. I'm not vested in Arrow enough to let that get to me. I like the actress, I like the character. Not sure about the villains, to be honest. Maybe they are temporary, is what I am thinking.

What got me psyched was the villain. The quips. The faceless legions.

It's all very 4-color comic book without being campy. It's what a comic book adaption should be.

It's the anti-Snyderverse.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 PM

This is a bonus of not knowing any of the canon, when they change things it doesn't anger me.
It looks like the in part picked based on actors
Also the white canary seems oddly colored for an assassin, like all it's missing is silver reflective tape.

Overall it does look cool, at this rate Arrow is going to be overrun by better written, more interesting spin offs.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:49 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Boom tubes are the only logical explanation for how anyone gets between Starling City, Central City and Panda Bearbot. Sure, we see planes sometimes, but even non-stop flights would take half a day, probably longer if they have to avoid certain air spaces on the way. Yeah, even Barry at his current fastest speed needs a boom tube to get back and forth. There is no logical explanation for Oliver appearing in Central City before he needs Barry in Panda Bearbot. None.

I'm sort of okay with the Arrow finale. A lot of bad plans piled on bad plans that somehow expected a bad plan to half work. All very comic book if frustrating to watch. A question that doesn't have an answer is what happened to Ra's Al Ghul's body. Did the authorities recover it and put it in the morgue. Not that it exactly matters because a rogue faction of the League can still get hold of the body and Hot Tub Time Machine it back to life. (Which is how I assume White Canary is brought back for Legends.)

With Oliver, Felicity, Diggle and Ray gone from Starling, who's left to protect Starling? It's just Speedy and the Canary. Maybe they can form a proto Birds of Prey team. Although hopefully Starling isn't the major target of big bads now. I mean, according to the guys what run things this isn't the last season or anything - at least the show is just called Arrow so it doesn't matter what color the central protagonist is.

And then there's Flash. Poor, dumb Barry Allen. You didn't need Snart's snart-ass to execute your plan. In fact, it would have gone off without a hitch without him there. It's an unneeded complication just to seed season 2 with bad guys we already have on hand. Speaking of the bad guys in permanent lock-up: The TVWBDCUniverse can never create a super friends team called the Justice League. Not until you fix something.

WE DO NOT PERMANENTLY DETAIN PEOPLE, EVEN DEMONSTRABLY POWERFUL AND POWERFULLY BAD PEOPLE, WITHOUT DUE PROCESS.

It's a dirty little secret that even the wonderfully comic book and bright uplifting The Flash show keeps sweeping under its rug. I'm glad Joe is uncomfortable with it. At least for this first season it can be explained by super criminal, time traveling Eobard poisoning the well and pushing everyone think this was the only solution.

In other "I Guess It's Good News" I'm glad everyone's cards are on the table. Iris knows Barry is the Flash. Eddie told Iris what Eobard showed him about the future. This may not mean it's clear skies for Barry + Iris 4ever, but at least it's not exactly a triangle. I'm also glad that Iris said that she gets to make her own choices, regardless of what some "future" says should happen. (Much like how Stewart and Shiera settled what would/should/might happen between them.)

One episode left for their season. We'll see what happens.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 AM

The show timelines are a bit confusing as well, since they kept calling Lyla at ARGUS I was assuming that most of the Flash happened before the episode she said she quit, or she lied about quitting.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

It doesn't help that I watched them out of order.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 PM

From what I've heard, they messed up the timing so that Arrow is a week ahead of Flash. That means Oliver went to Central City around the time he was in Starling hunting for Nyssa. That doesn't help much, but it is a little more reasonable. Now, when in there he had time to get Ray to make him nano arrows to stop Reverse Flash at a time when Ray thought he was evil we can't know. My personal favorite fan-wank is the idea that Oliver is as paranoid as Bruce Wayne and had Ray create them a while back on GP.

One of the AV Club commenters pointed out that Barry could have brought each metahuman to the plane one at a time and still have made it long before they woke up or got the truck half way there. Now I cannot forget how much more stupid his plan is than I even thought while watching the show. I hate stupid Barry. Not as much as I hate the implication that Iris is required to fall in love with Barry because all the men tell her to, though. That's just all kinds of wrong.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-15-2015), wei yau (05-16-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:35 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Not as much as I hate the implication that Iris is required to fall in love with Barry because all the men tell her to, though. That's just all kinds of wrong.
There are problems with these established continuities. Iris and Wally end up together because Wally and Iris end up together. Instead of creating a narrative where it happens in a natural way - like the comics that took years to build. It's especially bothersome with Gotham because of its pre-history nature. Well, that and they can't seem to write for Iris anyway.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-16-2015), wei yau (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 02:29 PM

I think these writers have a terrible time with love interests. They write Thea fine and did for Moira, and Felicity was great before she became a love interest. But Iris, this season's Felicity and Laurel in the past were just horribly written. Laurel is the best example because this season, when they have dropped her as a love interest and started pushing Olicity, she's actually been written quite well. I don't really know why it's so hard for them, but it's consistently bad.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-16-2015), BrotherMan (05-16-2015), wei yau (05-19-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:26 PM

It's so annoying because it's not needed. There's no reason we need any of the main cast dating any of the others!

I also don't buy it in the sense that running a secret anti-crime unit against literal trained assassins probably means there's occasionally times where you need to be asshole to the other people and that's what saves the day. I'm not quite sure how long a relationship can last that on top of the constant potential death.

I sometimes wonder if it's Damsel in Distress sydrome where they need a cheap hook, so they stick two main characters together just to kidnap one.

ETA: And it's not casting & actor time issues when two of their guest stars (Deadshot and his wife) had a more believable tragic romance in a single episode than I've seen with any of the main cast.

Last edited by Ari; 05-17-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-17-2015), Janet (05-17-2015), wei yau (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:58 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

New Supergirl fanart is totes giving me the feels, gais.

Thanks, from:
Janet (05-19-2015), The Lone Ranger (05-20-2015), wei yau (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:44 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

The Flash season finale -- GAAAHHHH!!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid. :angrybeet:

That was a pretty poor finale in general though, way too schmaltzy for me and there were so many 'that's too stupid even for a comic book show!' moments. I found myself hoping they would all

Also, who was this girl? I don't remember her from any previous episodes...
ScreenHunter_01 May. 20 15.43.gif
Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM

I'm unsure how I feel about the Flash Finale.
A bit too much talking especially if time is going to go all bobs your uncle on us.

It's Hawkgirl, a easter egg drop in for the new Legends of Tomorrow show, as was Well's mention of Rip Hunter, a time traveler.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-20-2015), Janet (05-20-2015), slimshady2357 (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 PM

Consensus opinion seems to be that the wormhole is time erasing them because of Reverse Flash's death. One of the more interesting theories I've heard about next season is they will introduce Rip Hunter for Legends of Tomorrow by having him come in and fix everything.

Thanks, from:
Ari (05-20-2015), BrotherMan (05-20-2015), wei yau (05-21-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature