Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Deadwood

Possibly a little salty?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Well.... I've heard... I've read in the book Survive: Stories of Castaways and Cannibals... or from somewhere, that human flesh tastes more or less like pork anyway. In that book, the author wrote that South Pacific cannibals were known to refer to sailors as "long pig".
Old 04-04-2005, 02:28 AM

This episode is kicking serious ass so far.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenly
Well.... I've heard... I've read in the book Survive: Stories of Castaways and Cannibals... or from somewhere, that human flesh tastes more or less like pork anyway. In that book, the author wrote that South Pacific cannibals were known to refer to sailors as "long pig".
thank you for that piece of information.

I have often wondered why in Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis the fastfood chain that sells cloned people burgers was called long pig, it never made any sense at all until now.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
This episode is kicking serious ass so far.
Well, as a fellow-Swe'gin fan, any episode that has Al rising from the bed rarin' to cut anyone with his good left hand is a serious kick-ass episode.

So, the tutor is clearly playing a game. I'm just glad that Adams realized he had been played. I'd hate for him to be cuntstruck.

Bullock still seems hesitant dealing with Al. Makes sense, he doesn't want to become known as Al's man. He is still the sherriff.

I can hardly wait for the next episode. Looks like Al is gonna help Wu out with his problems. Also, the honeymoon may be over for Cy and Mr. Wolcott.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldar
So, the tutor is clearly playing a game. I'm just glad that Adams realized he had been played. I'd hate for him to be cuntstruck.
He he... Cuntstruck... You funny. Anyway, yeah, I heaved a huge sigh of relief when Adams said he was glad he hadn't met her in front of the poker table. I'm also glad she's moving on to Al because he'll do her right.

Quote:
Bullock still seems hesitant dealing with Al. Makes sense, he doesn't want to become known as Al's man. He is still the sherriff.
And he actually started acting like one, finally. About damn time. Still, Bullock needs Al. Hopefully he'll be thinking clearly.

Quote:
I can hardly wait for the next episode. Looks like Al is gonna help Wu out with his problems. Also, the honeymoon may be over for Cy and Mr. Wolcott.
Oh yeah. It's gonna rule.

How about Alma singing Papa Don't Preach? That's going to be very interesting indeed. I'm loving Trixie every day more, btw. Sol totally doesn't deserve her, imo.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
He he... Cuntstruck... You funny.
All due credit to Mr. Swearegen. It is how he referred to Bullock just before their titanic tussle.

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, I heaved a huge sigh of relief when Adams said he was glad he hadn't met her in front of the poker table. I'm also glad she's moving on to Al because he'll do her right.
Adams is too smart to be played for long. Al will do her right, that's for damned sure. The thing is, just who is she working for, hmm?

Quote:
Still, Bullock needs Al. Hopefully he'll be thinking clearly.
The only thing that would impede Bullock's thinking is the sizable stick lodged up his ass. If it's up there far enough, it may damage his brain.

Quote:
How about Alma singing Papa Don't Preach? That's going to be very interesting indeed.
Heh, no, you funny.

Do you think that Alma's desire for her own child bodes ill for the little squarehead? What will happen when Bullock finds out? Will Alma marry Ellsworth to make the kid legit?

Quote:
I'm loving Trixie every day more, btw. Sol totally doesn't deserve her, imo.
I kinda like Sol. Now that he has loosened up a bit, must be the regular action he's getting, he's tolerable. Trixie does indeed rule. Although, I do feel sorry for the doc. Everyone is always yelling at him.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
And he actually started acting like one, finally. About damn time. Still, Bullock needs Al.
I don't think he does. Al's men may be violent and trigger-happy, but they don't shoot too straight. You saw Bullock draw and kill before, he's got the same killer instinct as Wild Bill, and past experience, having cleaned up a Montana town before. His deputies Charlie Utter and Calamity Jane were buffalo hunters and Indian scouts before becoming teamsters, they don't need shooting lessons like Dan and Johnny. They are backstabbing trigger-happy cowards and it's going to get them killed before all is said and done.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Quote:
And he actually started acting like one, finally. About damn time. Still, Bullock needs Al.
I don't think he does. Al's men may be violent and trigger-happy, but they don't shoot too straight. You saw Bullock draw and kill before, he's got the same killer instinct as Wild Bill, and past experience, having cleaned up a Montana town before. His deputies Charlie Utter and Calamity Jane were buffalo hunters and Indian scouts before becoming teamsters, they don't need shooting lessons like Dan and Johnny. They are backstabbing trigger-happy cowards and it's going to get them killed before all is said and done.
I get the impression that the kind of support Al can provide to Bullock is way more than muscle and lead. As you rightly pointed out, Bullock and his deputies are more than capable of handling themselves if it comes down to a gunfight.

But, in this particular Western, gunfights seem to be few and far between. We've seen plenty of stabbings, cut throats and even a twelve-pointin' But, stereotypical gunfights are rare.

Bullock needs Al to help navigate all of the political machinations. Bullock ain't stupid, but Al sees things more clearly. Maybe it's "takes one to know one" or something, but Al offers a perspective on the town that Bullock seems to lack.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
bullock doesnt see the big picture, al does. al guides the town and bullock needs the guidance.

dan is not a fucking coward and neither is adams, furthermore, if al really wants someone killed he can either do it himself or get outside help on it.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:36 PM

What eldar and bey said. Bullock is a great fighter and a smart motherfucker, but he is blind, deaf and dumb compared to Swearengen when it comes to grasping all the swirls and eddies.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Tellifying

Speaking of motherfuckers, I love how the phrase is also used in a verb form, as in:

Quote:
"I'll motherfuck you and then blow your head off"
The first time I recall it being used that way was when Adams came to give news to Al. Even before hearing the news, Al referred to Adams as a "motherfucker". This prompted Adams to reply something along the lines of,

Quote:
"Shouldn't you have ascertained that before you motherfucked me?"
I eagerly await a situation in which it would be appropriate for me to use the word in that fashion.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Adams is too smart to be played for long. Al will do her right, that's for damned sure. The thing is, just who is she working for, hmm?
Hearst, Russell, or Garret all have reasons. The reason I don't think it's Garret or Russell is because she was trying to make a case for Alma having Al kill her husband Brom. The Garrets and Otis Russell would be looking for ways to tie Bullock into the murder. Hearst has more reason to try to tie Swearengen into the murders, to eliminate potential speedbumps to owning most of Deadwood Gulch.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Another great episode last night. It's great to see Swearengen back on the game, especially when he was dealing with the Pinkerton Nanny from hell.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Tellifying

It's interesting how Al is so aware of his responsibilities, though largely through self-interest. Not only does he carry his fair share, he's astute enough to know that appearances count for a lot. He has his lackeys make sure he's presentable when receiving guests. He even makes an appearance on the balcony, to let everyone in Deadwood know that he's back.

Bullock, on the other hand, is pissed off at Sol for meeting with Alma. Pissed off that Alma is pregnant and takes out it on hooplehead Steve. He does in front of everyone at Nutall's joint and fosters more resentment for authority in the town.

Again, a great episode. And once again, Al is a better man than Bullock.

FYI: Swedgin and Wu, hing dai! That is, Swearegen and Wu, brothers!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Don't you think it was funny, what happened to animal lover Steve, the hooplehead? Let's see, get my head bashed in with a shoeing hammer or sign a confession. Uh, I'll take what's behind Door #3, Monte. Funny where the compassion came from after what he'd done.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Bullock, on the other hand, is pissed off at Sol for meeting with Alma. Pissed off that Alma is pregnant and takes out it on hooplehead Steve. He does in front of everyone at Nutall's joint and fosters more resentment for authority in the town.

Yes, exactly, amen, you got it, brother. Bullock is in some kind of limbo this season. He's distracted, off-kilter, out of focus, both in his understanding of the political undercurrents and in his personal moral standards. Alma's pregnancy makes it unlikely that he'll snap out of it anytime soon, imo.

Quote:
Oh cool! I was wondering. Thank you. It shore is handy having a Chinese cocksucker on the board. :P
Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Tellifying

I'd imagine that after getting caught while jerking off on a horse and then tied to an anvil and threatened with a hammer...well, one sobers up very very quickly.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:33 PM

That scene was hilarious. What was it Nigger General said? "Will you accept this slight exaggeration in return for your life?" Something like that. It was awesome.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
A fellow sophisticate

It would've served the stupid cocksucker right if the horse would've kicked him in the balls.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Weren't the last two episodes just brilliant? Both episodes left me wanting more. Gawd, I wanted Bullock to barge into Joanie's place, Colt in hand, and send Mr. Wolcott to the grave. Cy sent him to dinner and cleaned up after him. Does that mean Cy hasn't yet overplayed his hand now?

Isn't Bullock absolutely cuntstruck? He can't think straight, flies off the handle at the least little thing, can't make conversation with his family. Reminds me of me in the few months preceding my marriage. Wait, reminds me of me, now.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
It shore is handy having a Chinese cocksucker on the board. :P
DISCLAIMER: All you guys out there, do NOT read more into this than a playful reference to the colorful language used on this program.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 PM

Actually, it was a reference to the colorful language you used in this post. ;)
Old 04-12-2005, 12:38 AM

so I watched the new episode today,

damn, what a fucking show,

I loved the fact that the san francisco chinese cocksucker wouldnt talk to al for 20k.

I also like that al is getting to the bottom of things immediately on his first day back. will joanie enter into al's fold? will al pursue her to find out the truth, and thus get leverage towards season's end?

will bullock get his head out of his ass?

I am loving the use of nigger general and hostetler.

why didnt charlie utter get bullock when joannie had him take the whores out of town?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
It's interesting how Al is so aware of his responsibilities, though largely through self-interest. Not only does he carry his fair share, he's astute enough to know that appearances count for a lot. He has his lackeys make sure he's presentable when receiving guests. He even makes an appearance on the balcony, to let everyone in Deadwood know that he's back.

seconded everything you just said,

and thanks for the info on hing dai.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature