Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Default Re: Health Care Reform Dead

I haven't heard that one. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. I had a guy on my caseload when I worked in a halfway house that had done 30 years in a federal prison for murder. After about a month in the halfway house, he intentionally committed another crime so he could "go home."
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM
NPC

Rehabilitation FAIL.
Garnet (10-02-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Institutionalization is common. Some cease to be able to function.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (10-02-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miisa View Post
Rehabilitation FAIL.
Rehabilitation? In a prison? What an odd idea.
Qingdai (10-03-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM
NPC

Open prisons show the way. Should be mandatory for last year or two of sentence, at least.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

Quote:
Open prisons show the way. Should be mandatory for last year or two of sentence, at least.
That's kind of what I worked in. It was a half-way house for people getting out of prison. Yes, we called in a "half way out house." :D Anyway, the old boy was still under supervision but had a great deal more freedom than he was used to. Looking back, I'm not sure what I could have done differently in working with him but there must have been something. I didn't know what then and I still don't know what now. :sadcheer:
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Guðríð the Gloomy

The Associated Press: Dems taunt GOP: Where's your health care plan?

Quote:
Even as Republicans pummel President Barack Obama's health care proposals, some GOP leaders worry their party is being hurt by a Democratic counterattack: Where is your plan?

Republican leaders chose not to draft their own comprehensive bill, focusing instead on attacking Democrats' plans as too costly and bureaucratic. Some prominent Republicans now fear they are getting tagged as the "party of no," and they want the GOP to offer more solutions to the nation's health care problems.
Are the Dems growing some balls? Is it too little too late?
Adam (10-02-2009), LadyShea (10-02-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks, from:
Adam (10-02-2009), Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-03-2009), chunksmediocrites (10-04-2009), Crumb (10-03-2009), erimir (10-02-2009), Garnet (10-02-2009), Joshua Adams (10-02-2009), Miisa (10-03-2009), Naru (10-02-2009), Pan Narrans (10-05-2009), Stephen Maturin (10-06-2009), The Man (10-04-2009), Watser? (10-02-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Sachse ohne den blöden Dialekt

Location: Sydney, Australia. Ursprünglich Kurfürstentum Braunschweig-Lüneburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical-Chick View Post
Quote:
Then, this week was the kicker. CIGNA's pharmacy called to say that the co-pay on the medicine that helps control my debilitating head pain is skyrocketing from $10 to $1,115. That's not a typo. They're making me pay one hundred times what I'm paying now, in addition to my $753/month premium.
:brooding:
$753 a fucking month in health insurance premiums and it doesn't cover something as simple as painkillers? What sort of uncivilised backwater are you people living in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME
Have you moved to Canada?
Just in case this is directed at Cynical-Chick - she will be moving to Australia in December. Which is not a moment too soon IMHO. Sorry if that puts the kybosh on any "ïf you don't like it, leave" manufactured outrage.

Please God, save me from your followers. Come yourself, don't send Jesus. This is not a job for children.

A Christian threatening me with hell is like a Hippie threatening to punch my aura.
Thanks, from:
Master Taran (10-03-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Just to clarify, Cynical Chick is not Dawn Smith, and not the person with the brain tumor (I remember her name being something different...).

For someone not familiar, the fact that CC didn't make it obvious that she was merely quoting that rather than writing it herself could be confusing...
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-03-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

If that's the case, and he was actually addressing someone he thought had a debilitating brain tumor, Jerome is an even worse piece of shit than I thought.

Yes, the Jerome persona is a troll. He's said too many stupid and naive things to actually be the functioning adult he claims to be. But troll or no, there's a fucking human being typing that shit, and that human being, no matter what his reasoning or motivations, is just plain toxic if he actually addressed that to someone he thought was genuinely suffering like that.

If that is the case, the only way he's going to grow up and become a real functioning adult human being is for him to personally experience something like that. The only thing that will get through to someone so wilfully ignorant is for them to get some rapidly progressing illness, find out that the 'insurance' they think they have doesn't exist, and then have to fight some ridiculous battle with an insurance company and its lawyers while being as sick as they've ever been and getting sicker.

Until then, there is no more point in discussing something with him than there is talking to some shit you've scraped off your shoe. The only interaction he merits is whatever it takes to shut him out.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-03-2009), erimir (10-03-2009), Garnet (10-03-2009), LadyShea (10-03-2009), Master Taran (10-03-2009), Sock Puppet (10-05-2009), The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I actually did have a brain tumor removed when I was 9. Luckily, it was benign. I am sorry, though - I thought I'd put the letter in its context.

Lisa and erimir: :kiss:

And no, my name is not Dawn. I am not a 70s child. :giggle:

Last edited by Anastasia Beaverhausen; 10-03-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Thanks, from:
erimir (10-03-2009), lisarea (10-03-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Done

I knew it wasn't you that wrote it, as I had received it in an email. I can see how others were confused. I'm glad you posted it, it is one of gazillion stories out there about the nightmare of our health care system.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet View Post
Quote:
That's kind of what I worked in. It was a half-way house for people getting out of prison. Yes, we called in a "half way out house." :D Anyway, the old boy was still under supervision but had a great deal more freedom than he was used to. Looking back, I'm not sure what I could have done differently in working with him but there must have been something. I didn't know what then and I still don't know what now. :sadcheer:
Yeah, I've seen guys I was sure were going to make it fail. One was shot by a cop, two were over doses and three that have made it out for years.

One other problem with a lack of universal health care is that if you have a chronic disease or something, and you've just got out of jail/prison you have no health care.
Sure, you are supposed to get a job (good luck in this economy) and you might get health care there (after a 3 month probationary period, that most jobs require) if it's full time.
So some people make decisions that get them back to prison, because even inadequate health care is better than none.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (10-03-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks, from:
The Man (10-04-2009)
Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Has Cigna done anything illegal Jerome?
The company can not raise rates based upon claims.

Health insurance is not car insurance.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
If that's the case, and he was actually addressing someone he thought had a debilitating brain tumor, Jerome is an even worse piece of shit than I thought.
I don't believe the story.

That fact the you automatically believe it shows your lack of critical thinking ability.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Lisarea, do you feel as bad for the victims of the UK's NHS which dehydrates people to death to save costs?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Lisarea, do you feel as bad for the victims of the UK's NHS which dehydrates people to death to save costs?
Here they just kill them with medical mistakes....surgeries that fail are popular. Septic infection is big with hospitals in the US, too.

As a matter of fact, caregiver-induced death and illness is amongst the highest proportions in the US.

I don't believe you, anyway. US health care is shitty health care, compared to most other industrialized countries on the planet.

You are an apologist for shitty health care, JERONG.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Also people are starved or dehydrated here too, in states that don't allow physicians to prescribe over-doses of medication, that's the only option left.

:blame: the religious right.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:12 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
So now that it doesn't suit your talking points the two are not comparable, huh? Typical.

Quote:
The company can not raise rates based upon claims.
I don't recall a federal regulation stopping them, but it is illegal in some states IIRC. Still, that would be why they don't raise rates because of claims, they raise them because of mistakes on forms and other such 'problems'. The fact that these rate hikes coincide with large claims on the account is purely circumstantial, I assure you.
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-09-2009)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why bother responding to someone who:
  1. Begs the question whether euthanasia by dehydration is a cost control measure?
  2. Ignores the fact that this is the favored end of life choice in the US, as anyone who was even marginally sentient during the Terry Schaivo thing is aware?
  3. Conflates a national healthcare system, which has never been anywhere even approaching the table in the US, with single-payer systems or a public option? I could understand maybe giving someone a pass for not understanding this, say, five years ago; but at this point, if you are an adult capable of dressing yourself, you should be familiar with the differences. And if you are not even that versed on the subject, your opinions on the matter are worthless.

Anyone presenting such a pointless and irrelevant argument at this stage is obviously too stupid or too dishonest to actually process new information.
Thanks, from:
Garnet (10-04-2009), LadyShea (10-05-2009), livius drusus (10-04-2009), Master Taran (10-04-2009), The Man (02-27-2016), Watser? (10-04-2009)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quote:
So now that it doesn't suit your talking points the two are not comparable, huh? Typical.
That is a fraud!

I used the analogy to show how they are not the same.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Anyone presenting such a pointless and irrelevant argument at this stage is obviously too stupid or too dishonest to actually process new information.
That's right, just stay in your circle jerk and keep telling yourself how smart and caring you really are.

I despise such frauds, and the dishonest play your ilk like a fiddle.

What have you ever done for society outside of complain that you are not getting your fair share?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

The Man (02-27-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law