Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Default Re: Weird Dream(s)

I had a croak dream last night, but the Cosmic Owl didn't show up, so I think I'm OK.

I was in some sort of police building, waiting to take a drug test so I could start my new job, and I ended up sitting in a sort of outdoor area with suspects who were waiting to be processed in, and chatting with them, when I felt something hit me in the stomach and realized one of a group of guards or something wearing army style camo who were sitting at a picnic table across the yard had shot me for no particular reason. Not a particularly fun way to wake up this morning.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (09-03-2014), Corona688 (09-02-2014), Janet (09-02-2014), JoeP (09-02-2014), Kael (09-05-2014), lisarea (09-02-2014), Sock Puppet (09-02-2014), Stormlight (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Solipsist

:toad:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (09-03-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I had three weird dreams last night, two of them were connected, one was continued after a brief waking period.

I dreamed of driving my old blue 1978 Toyota HiLux pickup up a road in the mountains, the road progressively getting narrower, narrowing from a two lane paved road to a wide gravel road, finally down to a one-lane dirt road then a two-track after a final hairpin turn. At the end of that there was a small meadow I would pull off in, get out and go walking up a trail that went up a valley between aspen and spruce covered mountains. This I would repeat over and over again, the seasons changed, it went from summer to autumn, with the aspens their brilliant golden color and the mountain mohagany and scrub oak on the slopes changing to brilliant colors, from orange to scarlet. Finally, there was snow on the ground. The truck had chains on the back (it was not a 4x4). When the snow was deep, it had been plowed right up until that hairpin turn, and from there I would walk up the trail wearing arctic pack boots at first, then eventually, with snowshoes strapped on.

The second dream involved a large log house that was located right off the end of that same hairpin turn. The kitchen, workshop, and storeroom were at the back side of the house, maybe 100 feet from the hairpin turn. The large living room had a vaulted ceiling with great log timbers supporting the roof. On the side of the house next to the kitchen was a room that looked like it was meant to be a dining room, but it was an art gallery instead. It looked to be of adobe or straw bale construction with a stucco finish and a colored concrete floor. The living room had an uneven floor in it, the logs were uneven in the walls, the doorways weren't even entirely square. There was a stairway between the dining room / art gallery that went upstairs to a catwalk or loft across the back half of the living room. There were two bedrooms and a bathroom up there. There were stairs down under those stairs, that went down to a walk-out basement level, where there was the master bedroom and bath. There were scenic views to be had from all of the windows of the house.

It was wintertime. My wife had become a bit of a hoarder, was collecting five gallon bottles of drinking water. The living room was half full of these bottles. One evening, my wife and, Dean, a friend of ours were talking in the kitchen when we heard a huge crash. One of the log beams, a crossbeam in the living room had crashed to the floor, wrecking a nice leather sofa and crushing several of those water bottles. The house began to creak. We talked about whether it was safe to be in there or not. But, after a bit, the creaking stopped. Dean and I got ladders out of the storeroom and were putting the crossbeam back up, or trying to. It no longer fit, it wasn't long enough to be where it was. I talked about getting some really long screws to put it back up because the beam wasn't there to hold in that direction, but in compression instead, to support the load of the roof beams. I went searching for some screws in the workshop, but didn't find what I was looking for before the dream ended.

There were zombies in the 3rd dream. Well, not exactly zombies because they were people that had come down with a disease but were still alive, barely. When first contracted, the disease resembled flu symptoms, fever and chills, sweating, and a dizzy-headed feeling. The next phase of the disease, which happened in just a few days, was for the infected people to insist they felt fine, so they went back to work, school, etc., infecting more people. Then after two or three days more, the would become violently ill, vomiting black stuff and shitting their pants. After that, they were more or less slow-walking brainless extremely stinky zombies, spreading the disease wherever they walked, then after a day or so, they would die. There were bodies everywhere. I, for some reason, was immune, and thus was in much demand by those seeking a cure, or at least my blood was. By the time the dream ended, about 75% of the people in world had died, the global economy collapsed, nuclear missiles were launched in imagined wars. It was horrible, and it seemed like I could not wake up.
Stormlight (09-12-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

This morning I was woken by what sounded like it was probably my cell phone ringing, as filtered through a closed door, fan and white noise generator. I got up to answer it but my house wasn't my house. I walked to the front of the living room and it had snowed. There was some kind of hot-rod hearse going to park in front, but he was driving on the wrong side of the street. (I'm not sure if that means I was supposed to be in Britain.) The windows were faux-lead paned and one was open. I reached to close it expecting it to be one you crank, but it was a horizontal slide instead. I walked out the side door, and I was at the top of a set of stairs in a brick row house.

At that point I became certain that I was dreaming. I knew that if I wanted to wake up properly I would somehow have to get back into my room and into my body. I pressed myself back against the door and tried to imagine myself back in my bed. Then I woke up for real.

It's been some time since I've had an actively lucid dream so I thought it worth remembering.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (09-10-2014), JoeP (09-09-2014), Stormlight (09-12-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 AM
Crafty Agitator

I dreamed that I was having an affair with Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dingfod (09-10-2014), JoeP (09-10-2014), Stormlight (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I've had that dream, too, but it was his long-hair phase and it involved a playground.
vremya (10-03-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Solipsist

I haven't.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
NPC

I don't have the clout to get celebs to guest spot in my dreams.
Anastasia Beaverhausen (09-13-2014), Stormlight (09-12-2014), vremya (10-03-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Solipsist

You feature in other people's dreams.

Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (09-13-2014), Miisa (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Probably true.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Solipsist

Specifically, Moose's dreams. I'm not saying anything about mine.

Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 05:00 PM

Last night I dreamed I was tossing around ideas for new episodes of Blackadder with the cast. So I guess that means I have a lot of clout. But I woke up depressed because I realized immediately that this will be the first Friday in months without a new Blackadder episode review on the AV Club because we finished the series last week. :sadcheer:
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (09-15-2014), vremya (10-03-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Forum Killer

Last night I dreamt:

Walking home, I found a wounded dog outside and a bear nearby, clearly responsible. We (people are usually nebulous in my dreams) brought the dog inside in a hurry, but to set it down somewhere we needed to move over the cat to make room. To move over the cat, we needed to move the ferret. To move over the ferret, we needed to move the orangutan. Right when I was thinking "damn bears, this is why we have so many pets" I woke up.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
Right when I was thinking "damn bears, this is why we have so many pets" I woke up.
[thanks]++ for having a dream with a punchline.

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (09-18-2014), Janet (09-16-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Yesterday morning, I awoke from a dream where Sarah Shahi (tv actress: Life, Chicago Fire, Person of Interest, ...) was telling me right up close to my face that I was exonerated by the DNA test for which I was the only one that volunteered to take. She was wearing her plain-clothes cop outfit, a black sport jacket and pants and a white blouse. I started to hug her and she winced. She said her ribs hurt? Anyway, the image I had when I awoke was her face up close to mine, p. pleasant image to have.
Janet (10-01-2014), JoeP (09-29-2014), S.Vashti (10-01-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
She was wearing her plain-clothes cop outfit, a black sport jacket and pants and a white blouse. I started to hug her and she winced. She said "Is that a rib in your pocket or ...
:fixed:

Thanks, from:
Dingfod (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
Yesterday morning, I awoke from a dream where Sarah Shahi (tv actress: Life, Chicago Fire, Person of Interest, ...)
She was really great in her show Fairly Legal. Sadly, it didn't last for no reason I could understand.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM
California Sober

I had my first "I'm going to be late for my final exam and I'm not even halfway done with my homework" dream since finishing school. I didn't even have that dream when I was in school! :shakefist:
BrotherMan (09-29-2014), Dingfod (09-29-2014), ImGod (09-29-2014), Janet (10-01-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I had my first "I'm going to be late for my final exam and I'm not even halfway done with my homework" dream since finishing school. I didn't even have that dream when I was in school! :shakefist:
I still get those decades later. It's normally triggered by excessive project loads or project deadlines.

I had a dream the other day that my electric razor was not cutting my stubble. I was getting pissed that I had to shave the same spot over and over with no results.

My expert and uncanny dream analysis says I'm frustrated with the repetitive nature of my life. :yawn: So I may take a different path with my bike this week wearing some new shorts to spice things up. :bike:
Crumb (09-29-2014), Ensign Steve (09-29-2014), Janet (10-01-2014), lisarea (09-29-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 AM

I never had those dreams when I was in school either, only after I was finished. Don't know why. Lately my subconscious' preferred form of anxiety dream is having tickets to a City match and having all sorts of things stop me from getting to the match. Usually before a particularly important game, so I should expect one before the derby in November.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 AM
NPC

I had a celebrity dream!!1!1! :smugnod:

Joss Whedon (who, apparently, now lives in my village - the better parts, mind, not my corner which faces pubs and imaginary night clubs) was attending a party in a nightclub across the street. There is no such place right there now, but dreams are sometimes fantastical, like changing buildings. Anyway, I was trying to figure out where he and his posse were going so I could 'accidentally' bump into them.

I just realised I might be slightly creepy even in my own dreams.
Dingfod (10-01-2014), Janet (10-01-2014), JoeP (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:36 PM

My best friend has had so many dreams of an alternate Detroit that he wants to figure out how to map them.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

My re-occuring dream theme is wandering. I move around with a group of people through wierd places and jump from situation to situation and place to place. The people stay the same but the background and situation change drastically.

So we might be looking all over for something in a large mall, then we go through a door to the circus and we're trying to find peanuts for the elephants, etc, etc.

I never get the feeling I'm lost but I wake up feeling unresolved and tired from my journey.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 AM
California Sober

This one was really bad and unnerving. This other girl and I were hostages of this guy, and we started out in one of those public storage units, but then he's like "let's go" and he locks the storage up behind us with Ripley and my keys and phone inside.

We all go out shopping and I'm telling the other girl, "hey there's all these people around, what's to stop us from getting some help?" She's super scared of the guy and she's like, "don't do it, it's not worth it if he catches you." But I have to risk it, because I'm nobody's fucking hostage, and I tell this other guy who is shopping "hey me and this girl are hostages of this guy and we need help" and he's immediately like "whoa! I do not need to be involved in that kind of drama" and he throws his hands up and walks away. I want to make a run for it, but my keys and phone and dog are all locked up in this guy's storage, so what can I do?

At that point I woke up (for reals woke up, I don't do that eternal waking thing, I couldn't even imagine how far over the edge that would push me), but not even long enough to process anything about the dream, just enough to roll over and reset.

So now I'm in the dream, but earlier in time, like I had originally started in the middle and after I woke up it reset to the beginning. So now I have an advantage, because I know what's going to happen and I can work to make it go down differently this time. Only everything is different and way more nightmarish now, like the music on a sheet of sheet music turned into spiders and walked off the page, and the guy's face got all melty like in Raiders of the Lost Ark and he turned into a zombie.
BrotherMan (10-03-2014), Dingfod (10-03-2014), Janet (10-03-2014), lisarea (10-03-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I awoke this afternoon from a dream where I was driving a car, that looked like it might be an Aston Martin DB9...

It was black with a grey moleskin interior. You could tell by the rumble of the engine that it was very powerful. It was cold weather with a little ice and snow on the roadway, the windshield kept fogging up. The windshield wiper on the driver side wasn't working. I couldn't see out of it very well. For one thing, there were two small white plastic bags hanging from the driver side sun visor, and one from the side, dangling and swinging about, impairing my view. I found myself driving up a hill that got steeper and steeper, the tires threatening to break traction. I finally eased over that hill and the road flattened out a bit. It was a four-lane roadway, two lanes on each side divided by a curbed median and curb and gutter on each side.

There was an old Chevy Impala in front of me that kept going slower and slower, and drifting from the right lane into the left. I was in the left lane trying to go around this fool when I noticed a police car behind me. It did not have it's lights flashing, but it still made me nervous. The old Impala suddenly slowed to about 10 mph, obviously braking, but no brake lights showed. I braked to avoid hitting it. The police car hit me from behind, not hard, but with a good shove with its push bar. I saw what I thought the Impala driver was slowing down to look at, a badly mangled car wreck in the ditch on the other side of the roadway. There was an opening in the median, but no turn lane. I took it anyway and pulled into a dead end driveway that ended at a plowed field just a few yards off the main road. The wrecked car was right by the culvert for the driveway. The Impala sped off.

The police car stopped on the side of the roadway I was on before, the police officer got out and yelled at me to get back in my car, that he would be over there in a minute to write me a ticket. I yelled back that I was going to check the wrecked car to see if anyone was inside. He yelled for me not to worry about that, but to get back in my car and wait for him to cross the road. I proceeded to the the wrecked car, which was a shambles, part of a fender sticking out into the roadway. There was nobody inside, the engine was cold, it had been there for a little while, but not too long because it didn't have any snow or frost on it. After I checked the car, I looked up and found the police car was gone, and so was the police officer. I shrugged my shoulders, got back in the DB9 and backed out onto the roadway and went the opposite direction I had been going, back down the big hill.

I woke up wondering why the police had not had the wrecked car towed away, and why he didn't go after the Impala with the malfunctioning brake lights.
Crumb (10-06-2014), Ensign Steve (10-06-2014), Janet (10-07-2014), JoeP (10-06-2014), lisarea (10-09-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium