Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Default Re: Beulah, Make Me a Veggie Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Does anyone have a good falafel recipe that translates well to baking or just regular pan-frying? I don't do deep frying at home, so whenever I try making falafel, it ends up all crumbly and pathetic.
This recipe looks fantastic. May be worth a shot.
lisarea (01-03-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
falafel.
Oh hey, yeah.

Does anyone have a good falafel recipe that translates well to baking or just regular pan-frying? I don't do deep frying at home, so whenever I try making falafel, it ends up all crumbly and pathetic.

Also, yeah, what mr. drusus said. Veggie burgers are not fake hamburgers. They're a completely different thing, so all y'all are sounding like those fussy little babbys who order hamburgers at Chinese restaurants. :iceburn:
Shouldn't that be rice burn?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-04-2012), lisarea (01-07-2012), ShottleBop (01-04-2012), Zehava (01-04-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
I haven't made veggie burgers before (at least not in recent decades), so I don't have any recipes, but I love veggie burgers and eat them a lot; and these two look good, so I want you to try them and report back.

Anyone have the "secret" recipe of the Morning Star veggie burgers? - Yahoo! Answers

Morgan's Veggie Patties Recipe : Guy Fieri : Food Network
Reporting back. I made the wannabe Morning Star one and although the flavor was excellent, the texture was mushy. If I make them again, I'll do a very flat crispelle type thing so there's at least as much external crunchiness as there is internal softness. I made the patties and refrigerated them for a couple of hours so they stayed together while I was cooking them, but they definitely want to crumble and fall apart. I found myself sort of squishing them together with the spatula as they cooked to ensure they didn't break up.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Hmmm. Maybe you could put in some water chestnuts, too? That's one of my favorite things about the Morningstar Farms ones, how you get crunchy little bits of water chestnut.
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (02-14-2012)
Old 11-05-2016, 01:54 AM

Welp, it took me 4 years but I finally made a genuinely delicious veggie burger. Okay technically it's bean burger and not a veggie burger because I used Worcestershire, but close enough. I eyeballed the bread crumbs based on when the texture looked right like Janet told me to (except I measured them for reproduceability) and I think I added just a hair too much. There was some cracking during the cooking process. Very little, though, and nothing that caused structural damage. Next time I'll knock a tbsp off.

Here is the recipe as I made it tonight.

Black Soybean Burgers

1 can black soybeans, rinsed and drained (I'm sure you can use regular black beans; these are just the ones I had in the house)
2 cremini mushrooms (about 4 oz.), finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
half a red bell pepper, chopped
1 fennel stalk, peeled, finely chopped (I dislike celery, so this is my standard replacement; norms can use celery)
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1.5 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 dash Sriracha
1 egg
about 1 tsp salt
4 tbsp bread crumbs
4 slices pepper jack

Sautee the mushrooms, shallots, pepper, fennel in the olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the water is released and dries up a little. Add the beans and spices and mash up. Again, cook until the mash dries up a little.

Dump it in a bowl and add the mustard, Worcestershire and Sriracha. Mix it up, taste and adjust for salt and pepper. The soybeans are incredibly bland, way blander than regular black beans, so I ended up adding like a teaspoon before I could even taste it. Add the egg, mix. Add the bread crumbs until the mixture is moist but has structural integrity. Like I said above, next time I think I'll add 3 tbsp instead of 4.

Form into four patties and cook them in a skillet, about 4 or 5 minutes per side. Put a slice of pepper jack on each when there's a minute to go on the second side. Serve on a bun (or sliced bread if you want to go in a patty melt direction) with the condiments of your choosing. I went with ketchup, dill relish and country Dijon. It was stupid good.

Last edited by livius drusus; 11-05-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: DAMN YOUR EYES, SPACE ANGAKUK
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-05-2016), ceptimus (11-05-2016), Janet (11-08-2016), JoeP (11-05-2016), lisarea (11-05-2016), S.Vashti (11-05-2016), slimshady2357 (11-05-2016), Sock Puppet (11-07-2016), SR71 (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 09:58 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Definitely not vegetarian. How many sardines died to make that Worcestershire sauce?

Most definitely not vegan, what with the egg and cheese.

Also, you forgot to inclued the eggs in your list of ingredients. Very sloppy work there liv. Back to the cutting board for you.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:01 PM

It's anchovies in Worcestershire, you evil Space bastard. :powerdawkins:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-05-2016), Janet (11-08-2016), JoeP (11-06-2016), SR71 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:27 PM
puzzler

I don't know if we can get slices of pepper jack in the UK. We can get Kraft cheese slices (aka Singles), but I suspect that liv doesn't approve of those.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 PM

You are correct. They are terrible and wrong. Now, I have no problem with slices of American cheese in general for use in grilled cheeses -- they melt perfectly and the taste is classic, especially paired with properly crispy buttered bread -- but Kraft does not slice American cheese to make its singles. It does some extruded weird shit with HFC and assorted nonsense and I'm not trying to hear that. Besides, that mild flavor won't work at all with this bean burger. It'll just disappear.

There are many wonderful and exciting cheeses that are native to your fine land. If you can't find a cheese that incorporates spicy elements like hot peppers, I'm sure a sharp aged cheddar would work just fine. You can then slice it very thinly or grate it to ensure it melts properly on the burger.

eta Aha! Here's one that looks just the ticket. Ooh, and this one!
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (11-06-2016), Janet (11-08-2016), SR71 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Definitely not vegetarian. How many sardines died to make that Worcestershire sauce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Ang's referring to the sardines used as slave labour in the manufacture of The Original and Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. Technically legal, of course, but they work in appalling conditions for well below the UK minimum wage. But they don't complain.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2016), livius drusus (11-06-2016), SR71 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Certainly sounds good. Maybe it could be commercialized. All the veggie burgers I ever bought were not especially good to eat, by human standards.
livius drusus (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

These are the best veggie burgers I have ever tasted. I doubt they would match up to liv's homemade ones, but they are very tasty indeed.

Sou loves them, but I think she would be interested in trying liv's recipe. We have vegetarian Worcester sauce I think it's called Henderson's Relish? Yeah, here it is:
Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Mea culpa
JoeP (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Red Dragon is a nice cheese, but a little goes a long way. I bought some last Summer and ate it while I watched Hannibal because I couldn't resist the reference. I miss that, some of us AV Club commenters made a point of cooking gourmet meals on Hannibal night and it was always fun to talk about what we made.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-09-2016), ceptimus (11-09-2016), JoeP (11-08-2016), livius drusus (11-08-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink