Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 08-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Thumbdown Olympic Death Toll?

I can't say I read up on Greece's build-up for the Olympics beyond the occasional "they'll never make it on time and security sucks" polemic, so I didn't realize there was an actual death toll for game preparation.

From the article:

Quote:
You won't hear about it in NBC's gauzy coverage, but Amnesty International estimates that anywhere between 40 and 150 construction workers died in work place accidents building Olympic facilities. The new center right government of Costas Karamanlis, terrified of international embarrassment for not having a modernized infrastructure, turned the screws to finish facilities by any means necessary.

In the last push of round the clock preparation alone, 13 laborers were killed at the service of making Athens, in the words of one Olympic official, "habitable for a global audience".

As Andreas Zazopoulos, head of the Greek Construction Workers Union said, "We have paid for the Olympic games in blood."
It's chilling: both that people had to die to build stuff and that the news is virtually non-existent in the mainstream press.

Has anyone else heard about this? Maybe some of our non-US decent media coverage members?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Olympic Death Toll?

That's terrible! No I haven't heard of this at all!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:48 PM
the hanged man

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
I can't say I read up on Greece's build-up for the Olympics beyond the occasional "they'll never make it on time and security sucks" polemic, so I didn't realize there was an actual death toll for game preparation.

From the article:

It's chilling: both that people had to die to build stuff and that the news is virtually non-existent in the mainstream press.

Has anyone else heard about this? Maybe some of our non-US decent media coverage members?
Reports here:

http://www.ishn.com/CDA/ArticleInfor...130791,00.html

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/news...n-658594.shtml

http://www.nosweat.org.uk/article.ph...thread&order=0

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5665158/

And many more off Google.

All protests taken to be mere nay-sayers, as usual. And I wonder how long some of those facilities will last after the games - built in such a hurry.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneron
...And I wonder how long some of those facilities will last after the games - built in such a hurry.
Just last night I was visiting a friend, and he asked me if I thought there would be any terrorist attacks at the Olympics. My reply was that it was unlikely, but given how quickly the arenas and village had to be built, and how many corners must have been cut, it was more likely that a stadium or similar structure gives way. I seriously hope not - but you wouldn't catch me sitting in those stands when they are at full weight capacity. Hell, no.

It's abhorrent when events like this are worth more than the lives of the host nation's citizens. :(

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM

Thank you for the links, phaneron. The first thing I noticed is that nobody else is mentioning the 150 dead figure the author of the article I cited in my OP used. According to the AP, Amnesty's upper estimate is 40 dead and from what I've been able to dig up in the past half hour or so, Amnesty makes no mention of 40-150 construction workers dead.

Amnesty does point out the human costs of these Olympics are far higher than recognized: 14-40 dead, 137 Greek Roma screwed out of their homes, untold numbers of alcoholics, drug addicts, the mentally ill, asylum seekers imprisoned for no crimes in detention conditions that are questionable at best.

Quote:
All protests taken to be mere nay-sayers, as usual. And I wonder how long some of those facilities will last after the games - built in such a hurry.
That is such a horrible thought. Stadium collapses have huge death tolls. I hate to think of seventy-five thousand people crushed and trampled under tons of hastily erected masonry. :(
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
mostly harmless

Sure, it's terrible that anyone had to die, but I'm assuming they don't have something like OSHA in place in Greece.

From my time stationed in Charleston, SC, I learned about the effect of OSHA regs on construction. Of the two main bridges (there is a 3rd under construction) spanning the Cooper River between downtown Charleston and Mount Pleasant, SC, during the construction of the first bridge (pre-OSHA) over 100 people died. In the construction of the second, and larger, bridge (post-OSHA), only 4 died. Now, 4 is still tragic, but the improvement is dramatic.

Yeah, there's a lot of red tape associated with OSHA, but it has made the workplace (no matter what or where it is) a safer place.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Sure, it's terrible that anyone had to die, but I'm assuming they don't have something like OSHA in place in Greece.
They do, actually. Amnesty International says:
Quote:
Greece is obliged under international law to guarantee minimum labour standards including under the Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work of the International Labour Organization (ILO). The UN Human Rights Norms for Businesses set out a comprehensive list of the human rights obligations of companies, including the provision of safe and healthy working conditions.
Here's the Greek section of the OSH for the EU. Notice the paragraph under National Law that proudly points to Greece's strong history of labour laws:

Quote:
The publication of occupational safety and health legislation started in Greece in the early 20th century. The interest in OSH issues was continuously increasing and thus a large number of regulations related to the protection of workers was put into force. Today, the Greek labour legislation comprises of over than 100 occupational safety and health statutes, including laws, decrees and decisions, characterized by their binding nature. The regulations include both organizational and technical measures. In respect to their content, they can be distinguished into a) "general" statutes that apply to all enterprises of the public or private sector, regardless of the economic activity and of the number of employees and b) "specific" statutes that focus on specific occupational safety and health aspects.
Here's a list of current Greek OSH legislation. They are at a glance remarkably extensive. I doubt OSHA has anything to say on the working conditions of fig stores.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM
mostly harmless

Well, thanks for the info, liv!

You learn something new everyday!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Well, thanks for the info, liv!

You learn something new everyday!
No prob. :) I didn't know the details myself until I looked them up, but I knew they had to have some hardcore regulations in order to be an EU member. The General Secretary for the Olympic Games, otoh, quoted in one of the articles phaneron linked to, doesn't seem to have even a Google-level familiarity with the topic:

Quote:
The general secretary for the Olympic Games admitted he had no idea how many workers have died constructing the games. "We have accidents in the streets, we have accidents everywhere on a daily basis and we don't talk about this,” he said.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:53 PM

I'm going to think of this every time I see the Olympics on TV now. Fun stuff. :deepsigh:
Old 08-20-2004, 02:13 AM

I know. I haven't watched a single event. Not that I'd be glued to the set anyway, but my post-opening ceremonies enthusiasm is totally gone. :(
Old 08-20-2004, 05:07 PM

Wow-- that is horrid.

My boyfriend has been glued to his tv since it started and especially enjoyed the beach volleyball game last night. It was the "uniform" they wear along with the butt slapping that he really enjoyed I think.

Should I burst his bubble? Eh, I'm sure I will.

I have nearly no time to sit and watch tv anyway.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law