Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 08-29-2004, 04:53 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Default Sites that make you feel wrong

I really didn't know where else to post this, so it's going here.

Doing research at uni regarding Japanese pop culture, I stumbled upon a site called ipce.org. I'm sort of clicking around the "library" section (where I was first directed to) noticing articles about sexual psychology and stuff (in the "library wing" I was in at least, there were others with more disturbing content) and then went back to the main page... and got slightly weirded out that I had been looking at this site for 5 minutes without realising it was a Nambla-esque site. Yeah, I felt really wrong when I realised, and quickly closed the window.

But what disturbed me the most about this site was that it was like so many others around that claim "objective unbiased information" etc but are really just plugging whatever disturbed bias they're one. Another perfect example I can think of that really really disturbs me is abortionfacts.org (or is it .com... I can never remember). Anyway, the site is about as fucking factual as a Grimm faerie tale is. Misleading bastards...

Just a little thread/question/thing regarding integrity of information and morals and such. Sorry for the lack of real intellectualism, but my brain's feeling slightly weird.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 AM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

Default Re: Sites that make you feel wrong

About 5 years ago, I was looking through some of the KKK's websites for a paper for a Composition class. It was sickening, but it reminded me of the basic--and easily forgotten--fact that every xian is just as much of a xian as every other xian.

Each of those hooded KKK members are just as much of a xian as my mother is. My mother is just as much of a xian as Hitler was. Hitler was just as much of a xian as Martin Luther King, Jr. was. Martin Luther King, Jr. was just as much of a xian as the pope is. And the pope is just as much of a xian as any other xian on the planet.

Last edited by Goliath; 08-29-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Yes, Christians are indeed Christians, some of them great human beings, some of them horrible ones. It seems a rather tautological point to me, but perhaps that discussion is best left for another thread or else Adora's OP will get swiftly lost in the melee.

On topic (and related to Goliath's experience as well), I read Stormfront's forum for a few days some time ago. I was there looking for a couple of racist IIDB posters (I suspected a concerted effort to hit mainstream sites - didn't find that) and actually registered

* livius drusus shudders at the memory
so I could do searches.

It was a deeply disturbing experience. I felt filthy just reading that shit and filling out the registration form made me physically ill. Finding one of the IIDB posters discussing his Portuguese heritage and asking if that made him white enough was just... Ugh. Sad and stupid and sick and just fucking awful. :(
Old 08-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Babby Police

stileproject.com years ago was a pretty interesting page, at least to read the guy's daily rants. But I think now it's basically an archive for deliberately really disgusting shit. His rants are probably still in there somewhere but it's not worth wading through all the rest of the crap.

I've seen most of the more notorious hate sites, they don't make me feel so wrong as just being appalled by the ridiculous myopia and stupidity of some people. What really makes me feel wrong is viewing any official Republican Party websites. Which is funny, because they're the right.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I was looking for info on how the morning after pill works, and found "morningafterpill.org". The first page seemsed pretty factual, but then I started to see the bias the further I read...sure enough it's run by a Catholic anti-choice group, the facts went out the window by the end of the page.

Just for heebie jeebies, not anything important...I was looking for an unfinished crib (thinking I would be pg right away of course), and came across a sight for adults into the infant fetish scene...huge cribs, diapers, onesies, the works :eek:
Old 08-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
But what disturbed me the most about this site was that it was like so many others around that claim "objective unbiased information" etc but are really just plugging whatever disturbed bias they're one.
I know what you mean, for sure. I wish you could judge a book by its cover, but unfortunately you really can't. You just have to be careful in your reading and skeptical of everything. At least that's one good thing about the Internet: It's extremely easy to find alternative sources that support or debunk the information you find elsewhere. If I find a few separate websites that all seem to have a fairly unbiased approach and assert essentially the same thing, then I'm more likely to believe it.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:42 PM
professional left-winger

I always worry that I'm getting misinformation and biased views while doing internet research.

I happened to catch part of this NPR show yesterday, in which they touched on the issue of finding accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Just for heebie jeebies, not anything important...I was looking for an unfinished crib (thinking I would be pg right away of course), and came across a sight for adults into the infant fetish scene...huge cribs, diapers, onesies, the works
I was once looking for granny square crochet patterns and found many similar sites for granny fetishes, lucky for me I make a habit of reading the listing before I click on the link.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy