Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: The Dark Tower Film and TV Series Combo

Oh ya, I had forgotten about the Palaver effect. Cool beans. Adem, see Shea's post above for proper Dark Tower :fanwank:.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

That being said, one whole book is a flashback to when Roland was 14. I wonder what kid they will use (or if they will skip the whole thing)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

SO, while Googling around to verify that I was right about Roland being ancient, I discovered that King has apparently pulled a Lucas on versions of The Gunslinger published after 2003, and retconned the bits that contradicted stuff that appears later in the series (uhhh...spoilers, I guess):

Quote:
Some changes include:

* Removal of a reference to Roland reading a magazine in Tull. Later information presented in The Drawing of the Three suggested that paper is a scarcity in Roland's world.
* Reference to twelve years having passed since the fall of Gilead, which happened when Roland was a teenager, is changed to "untold years." Otherwise it would be deduced that Roland is in his 30s, when later books imply that Roland is ancient.
* Likewise The Man in Black originally says he is "nearly immortal," where in the revision he says this of both himself and Roland.
* "[Roland] didn't know where Cort was[4]" is changed to "Cort was dead"[5], as the Fall of Gilead was not completely fleshed out until later books.
* Roland's cold-hearted killing of Allie is changed to make him appear more humane. Originally, when the town of Tull turn on Roland, Allie is seized by a townsperson and used as a human shield. She begs Roland not to fire before he ruthlessly guns down both her and her captor [6]. In the revised version, she has been driven mad by Walter by the time she is seized, and begs Roland to put her out of her misery. [7]
* The town of Farson is changed to Taunton, as John Farson was a character in the later books in the series.
* References to the Beast were changed to refer to the Crimson King, who otherwise is not mentioned in the series until Wizard and Glass.
* "Blue Heaven" and "Algul Siento", terms that are revealed in the final books, are mentioned.
* A single Taheen appears early in the revised version. The Taheen being a race of creatures which wouldn't originally appear until the final three books.
* A major textual change is the fate and identity of the Man in Black. In the original text, Walter's death at the end of the story is of no uncertainty to Roland. In the revised edition, Roland speculates if his discovery of Walter's bones is some trick or if he has truly died. The original text also kept Walter and Marten Broadcloak completely disambiguated. Even after the death of Walter, Broadclock was still to be found and killed. Later in Wizard and Glass they, along with Flagg, are all revealed to be one-in-the-same person. Though no reference of the name "Flagg" is made in the revised edition of The Gunslinger, all references to Walter and Marten are altered so that it is plausible they are the same man.
* Jake, originally nine years old, was made 10-11 years old in the revised edition.
* In general, the world the gunslinger walked through in the original text was literally a run-down version of our own - the text mentions England, the star Polaris, Mars, Jesus and other biblical figures, Easter, All-Saint's Eve (Halloween), and Greek and Egyptian Gods. In the revision, these references were removed to make Roland's world only vaguely like our own.
* In the early edition Roland's father is Roland the Elder, but is changed to Steven.
* In the expanded edition of the novel, on the last page before the text the single word RESUMPTION appears; in the "Argument" foreword of Wolves of the Calla, King explains that it is the subtitle of the novel.

I dunno how I feel about that. Most of them are minor detail cleanup, which I don't mind at all (and one of my earliest memories of nerdsperging is getting to the bit in Drawing of the Three where Roland is shocked that paper is commonplace in New York). I don't dig the tonal change re: Allie's death, though, and I always really dug the references to Keystone Earth culture in that first book. I liked the atmosphere it created, where the world moving on had led to all sorts of little cultural flotsam (i.e. Hey, Jude) ending up in a place where it obviously didn't belong. Also, "the man Jesus" is a fun phrase.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-26-2014)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Reference to twelve years having passed since the fall of Gilead, which happened when Roland was a teenager, is changed to "untold years." Otherwise it would be deduced that Roland is in his 30s, when later books imply that Roland is ancient.
I have a pre 2003 copy, because the 12 years is def mentioned
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Javier Bardem Offered Lead in ‘The Dark Tower’ | /Film

I don't know who he is.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 PM

His page seems to be broken on IMDB, but he was in No Country for Old Men
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-04-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

He was the hitman in No Country.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM

Are you fucking kidding me? I knew this was going to blow.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 AM

Didn't he have to pronounce all his lines in No Country phonetically b/c of not speaking English? I guess Roland was unable to pronounce "aspirin" or "sandwich", maybe that's what they're going for.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? I knew this was going to blow.
I know your adoration of a certain celebrity knows no bounds but I'll be spending some time lamenting that Viggo won't be playing the Gunslinger.

EDIT Y'ALL:

All the reports are saying that he's only been offered the role. No word on acceptance.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 AM

I would have been thrilled with Viggo. Thrilled. You know I :heart: him deeply. My only hesitation was thought I thought he was a tad olds, but Shea talked me out of that. Besides, I didn't think there was a chance in hell he would sign on to multiple films plus years of teevee. He does like a movie a year. John Hamm, otoh, is just at the right point in his career to do the gig.

I can't even begin to grasp why Javier Bardem. He looks, sounds and acts completely fucking wrong for this part. I hate Ron Howard a lot right now.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

True enough. I always imagined someone who look(s)(ed) like a young Clint Eastwood (or even a middle aged Eastwood). That most likely has a lot to do with one of the original printings of the Gunslinger that had some very awesome illustrations that used him as an inspiration. Viggo fits into that mold quite easily - a tall and gaunt figure who can effect a haunted visage. Hollywood can work some magic with workout regimes, make up and then special effects but Javier looks entirely too modern and pampered for someone who is supposed to live in a world that has moved on. Roland Deschain isn't just a character from a series of books he's also an embodiment of an entire archetype (paging Mr. Campbell). Bardem did an excellent job playing a mostly quiet but very creepy killer and a desert wandering gun hand isn't far removed from that - just a few adjustments to a moral code - so I'm not concerned about the acting part. I don't think Bardem has that gravitas to play this icon. I'm going to leave the non native English thing alone. Yeah, it could be immersion breaking, but I think I can overlook it anyway.

Barring terrible, terrible reviews for the final product I'll most likely see the first movie regardless.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (02-04-2011), LadyShea (02-04-2011), livius drusus (02-04-2011), SharonDee (02-04-2011), Sophia (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Also to note: I need to finish reading the series. The last book I bought was Wizard and Glass.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Banned for copyright violations

This is one Zionist project of which I fully approve! :1thumbup:

^intended for humorous purposes only; not a serious mention of Zionism!
Edit: Fucked up on this one. I must have been initially thinking of someone else; guy's not even kosher. Doesn't come off like one of those Christian Zionist moron hicks either. So, a swing and a miss. :(

Seriously, Steven King is awesome. Fucking talented talent out the wazoo. I love Misery and The Stand.

It is both enraging and engaging; both hard to watch, and hard not to watch. (Haven't read the novel.)

Last edited by Sophia; 02-04-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Roland of Gilead is known for his blue, blue eyes. The color of faded denim to be precise.

Javier Bardem Has Officially Been Offered Lead Role in 'Dark Tower' « FirstShowing.net
Quote:
While Viggo Mortensen and Javier Bardem were considered frontrunners, the same source who brought those names to light also discovered that Christian Bale had become the top contender. Well, apparently Universal Pictures thought otherwise as Deadline reports that Bardem has officially been extended an offer to play Roland Deschain,
Quote:
In addition, people will also probably be upset since a Spanish actor is playing a non-Latin cowboy. However, since the studio is apparently looking at Jennifer Carpenter to play Susannah, they may not be using the character's races as they exist in the series as an unbreakable trait for the film adaptation.
OMG they can't make Susannah NOT BLACK, WTF. They are ruining it, RUINING IT! Curse you Ron Howard!
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-04-2011), BrotherMan (02-04-2011), JoeP (02-04-2011), livius drusus (02-04-2011), SharonDee (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 AM

Yaaaaahhhhh...

I don't really care about Roland's ethnicity, especially given the difficulty of locating an actor of Gilead and the Line of Eld, but Susannah's history in the civil rights movement is a pretty huge part of her character.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-04-2011), JoeP (02-04-2011), LadyShea (02-04-2011), livius drusus (02-04-2011), SharonDee (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 AM

IT'S A MAJOR FUCKING FORSPECIAL PLOT POINT HOWARD YOU EVIL SACK OF SHIT. :hulkout:
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-04-2011), BrotherMan (02-04-2011), LadyShea (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 AM

lol@forspecial
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 AM

BroMan, damn, I thanked it but that doesn't seem enough. Excellent breakdown of the situation.

Sophia. It was an excellent book, until the end. King sucks at endings in general, but Big Fucking Spider From Outer Space was an especially stupid bad one. And I don't think Stephen King is even Jewish let alone kosher
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Barring terrible, terrible reviews for the final product I'll most likely see the first movie regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
However, since the studio is apparently looking at Jennifer Carpenter to play Susannah, they may not be using the character's races as they exist in the series as an unbreakable trait for the film adaptation.
Well, so much for the "regardless" portion. Granted, I haven't read past Wizard and Glass so I don't know anything beyond that about Susannah. But I can't imagine how they could rework her story to give her such a bad-ass bitch personality like Odetta Holmes. She was as frightening as any person or thing Stephen King ever wrote.

One of my favorite exchanges in Drawing of the Three was when Odetta was crawling through the sand to kill Eddie in his sleep. In a perfect one-with-the-universe Zen moment Roland knew he couldn't just pretend to be asleep he had to be asleep or else Odetta would just know he was watching her.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-04-2011), LadyShea (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 AM

Jennifer Carpenter? Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter?! Oh no, that is several flavors of wrong, even if I could get past her being the wrong friggin' race.

It's like that time I realized BrotherMan was a white dude. :sadno:
LadyShea (02-04-2011), Qingdai (02-06-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Coffin Creep

:nerdrage:
BrotherMan (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
However, since the studio is apparently looking at Jennifer Carpenter to play Susannah, they may not be using the character's races as they exist in the series as an unbreakable trait for the film adaptation.
Well, so much for the "regardless" portion. Granted, I haven't read past Wizard and Glass so I don't know anything beyond that about Susannah. But I can't imagine how they could rework her story to give her such a bad-ass bitch personality like Odetta Holmes. She was as frightening as any person or thing Stephen King ever wrote.

One of my favorite exchanges in Drawing of the Three was when Odetta was crawling through the sand to kill Eddie in his sleep. In a perfect one-with-the-universe Zen moment Roland knew he couldn't just pretend to be asleep he had to be asleep or else Odetta would just know he was watching her.
:nerd:

That's Detta Walker. Odetta Holmes is the rich civil rights activist personality.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-04-2011), The Man (02-15-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:shiftier:
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Kwisatz Haderach/Mentat-for-hire

Roland is supposed to be Latino-ish in some way. If you read the comics, this dude actually about looks about right once you get him to drop about 20 lbs and put in some ice blue contacts. He should be able to handle the acting role too. The Suze role is much more disturbing.
The Man (02-15-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature