Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Admin

Default Registration Problems

If you have an AOL e-mail account, you may have had some trouble receiving the registration e-mail because they have our IP address on their SPAM block list. I have reported the problem and they're working on it. Meanwhile, if you know someone who's having a hard time registering let livius or myself know and we'll handle it.

Also, if you had any other problems with registration please list them here.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
This space is for rent

Default Re: Registration Problems

I couldn't get the confirmation email to my metacrawler address. Tried 3 or more times. Switched the email address and had no problem. Other email, including spam, gets to the metacrawler address without a problem.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM

Shit, AOL blocks everybody then requires you to come and say it is okay to mail to them, then you are still on their shit-list anyway.

You can TRY to go here and clear it up. I have, dozens of times, they still block us, the bastards (and still complain about it, even though I have followed their rules completely).

http://postmaster.info.aol.com

Good luck ;)

-Scott
Old 07-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

They block The Hunger Site, Scotty? Why don't they just change their name to AOScroogeFromHell and get it over with? Sheesh.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 PM

Yeah, the block us.

I some ways, I can't blame them, they probably get more email then any other site on the planet.

We also send a lot of email, some rankings list us at 100k/day overall, which is probably true. But, we send all to registrants.

We are even on some lists you can't get removed from, so, basically we are fucked for some domains.

We could switch ISP's :)

-Scott
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Expat Brit

Well, that would explain why I didn't get any e-mails, but I'm still wondering why they didn't show up in my spam file. Earlier this year AOL was blocking just about anything from a .co.uk address (including messages from ebay,co.uk, amazon.co.uk, and the law firm handling my dad's estate), but the e-mails were always there in my spam file for a couple of weeks.

Come to think of it, my spam file has been pretty empty recently so maybe they're just throwing stuff away rather than forwarding it to people's spam files. I wish this bloody blocking mechanism of theirs was a bit better at dealing with genuine spam while it blocks all this good stuff.

VM, just FYI, people using AOL on Macs, like me and probably other severely computer-illiterate people, don't have the same facility that PC users have to adjust their spam controls. It's sort of a case of take it or leave it and we'll get round to upgrading things one of these centuries. So if you have other AOL users with Macs, there probably isn't anything we can do about the problem.

Edited to say that when I realised e-mails from dad's lawyer weren't getting through, I called AOL and basically they couldn't have been less helpful. As far as they were concerned, they were dealing with spam to the best of their ability and the collateral damage was just one of those things. Took a couple of months for the computer people at that law company to get AOL to deal with the problem, too. So I wish you luck in trying to get them to do anything.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albion
Well, that would explain why I didn't get any e-mails, but I'm still wondering why they didn't show up in my spam file.
Because the messages were never delivered to you in any way. They got bounced back from AOL's main post office gateway.

Quote:
VM, just FYI, people using AOL on Macs, like me and probably other severely computer-illiterate people, don't have the same facility that PC users have to adjust their spam controls. It's sort of a case of take it or leave it and we'll get round to upgrading things one of these centuries. So if you have other AOL users with Macs, there probably isn't anything we can do about the problem.
That's cool. I realize I can't do anything about whether it goes to your junk mailbox or your inbox, but if I want it to get to you at all AOL's gonna have to take our IP address off their block list. Here's hoping they do. :)

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration