Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Oh, so about police not apologizing: they never, ever do that.

A couple of years ago (well, 13 years ago, I'm old, it sorta all runs together) I was in thisw demonstration in Amsterdam during one of those Euro-summits. I don't even know remember what that specific demonstration was about, I think against the arrests that they made the night before and demanding that the prisoners be released. Anyway, peacefull demonstration, kinda quiet even. Suddenly there's a police line in front of us, police line behind us. They arrested the entire demo, put tie-rip handcuffs on all of us, put us in buses and left us there for an hour or so, then took us to the Bijlmerbajes, an infamous prison near Amsterdam and locked all the men in the excercise room, don't know where they put the women, somewhere similar I guess, and released us all the next day (drove us to the nearest underground station).

Now a group in Amsterdam sued the police department and this group (which was really one guy) over here joined them in that. In the end we got compensation of 200 guilders I think it was, maybe 250, which works out as about 20 guilders an hour, about 10 dollars at the time. But nobody ever apologized for it and that is still how they treat demonstrations whenever there is a summit of some kind and they feel like it. They probably have insurance for that.

On another note, the local guy who got us our compensation was later shot down in the street here in town. He was very active in getting helping people who had been wrongfully arrested. The police did manage to solve the case after more than a year, when nobody expected them to anymore (and some people suspected that it might have been a cop or a disgruntled ex-cop). The murderer was arrested in Spain. It turned out he was a lone nut with a grudge. The cops did regain some goodwill with that though.
Adam (08-16-2010), lisarea (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (04-27-2011), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I have a hard time seeing Dutch police as nefarious.

I imagine them running around in colorful wooden shoes :shakedutch:
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), Deadlokd (08-16-2010), Demimonde (08-19-2010), Dingfod (08-15-2010), lisarea (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Fishy mokey

:glare:
Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Oh, so about police not apologizing: they never, ever do that.
:shakedutch:

Not true!

As evidence I offer this completely true personal experience.

A few years ago I went on my first trip to the Netherlands, which is the country where you live, and is not, say, Belgium. While I promised myself that I would not be a dirty American tourist while in Amsterdam, and would definitely not get higher than I have ever gotten before just because I could, I actually kind of wound up doing that. I didn't get so baked that I couldn't feel shame, but I was on up there. Anyway, my (sober) traveling buddy and I wandered around and had a few beers, and I kind of remember musing on some of what I like to call "marijuanatymologies," which are etymologies I came up with because of THC. Anyway, while we were walking around a corner of the Oude Kerk, we came upon a parked police car. We didn't pay any attention and kept walking, but a policewoman came out of a doorway and ran into me, and she said "Oh, I'm very sorry," in English, because I guess I was pretty obviously a smelly dirty high American.

Also I just realized that this is another story of me colliding with foreigners.

Anyway, the police - even the Dutch police - do apologize!

So there! Good luck getting your face back now!
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), Crumb (08-15-2010), Deadlokd (08-16-2010), Dingfod (08-15-2010), Doctor X (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010), Sock Puppet (08-16-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Fishy mokey

Oh!?! So now they go around all lahdeeedah apologizing to foreigners? While the hardworking Dutch man with the cap gets none? What times are these?
ChuckF (08-15-2010), Crumb (08-15-2010), Deadlokd (08-16-2010), Janet (08-19-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010), Pan Narrans (08-15-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
I kind of remember musing on some of what I like to call "marijuanatymologies," which are etymologies I came up with because of THC.
[...]
the Oude Kerk
Obviously named after Bob Odenkirk :unnod:

Also, wtf, Watser?

Dutch people put statues of whores in front of their churches?

Thanks, from:
ChuckF (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Fishy mokey

So?

You mean you don't?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 AM

You sure that was not a

?

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Or you could google it. Disorderly house is from an English criminal law used to designate a physical structure that causes moral offense to the community or something like that, and it's intended for use in shutting down brothels and drug houses and such, going beyond any underlying criminal charges. It doesn't have anything to do with appearance or building standards.

Cedar Rapids' municipal codes are online, and here is the specific ordinance, which carries penalties including fines and imprisonment.

So what happened is that a SWAT team barged into a family's home and terrorized them looking for drugs, found out they were wrong, and instead of apologizing and making some effort to rectify the problems they caused and prevent future militaristic raids on innocent citizens, they ginned up some unsubstantiated carte blanche criminal charge against the victims.
You missed this ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
The fact that there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the lame citation, by default, would be a strong case for fighting it in court, demand the initial informant testify and then seek civil litigation with a good attorney.
As an aside, I've really never seen "disorderly house" applied as a statute in local jurisdictions that otherwise apply a vast world of English common law.

My money is that they beat that rap as hard as a late night cable date with Sookie Stackhouse...or the good Doctor's last post.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 AM

(I believe the point she's trying to make isn't that this person will be going to jail on bullshit charges, it's that the police, out of embarrassment, charge them with bullshit, which then forces them to spend time and possibly money getting the charges dropped, or at least have to deal with the hassle of being arrested. Just like nobody was talking about all the hard time Henry Louis Gates was going to be spending in prison, but rather than the police officer abused his power by making the arrest in the first place.)
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), Crumb (08-15-2010), lisarea (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (04-27-2011), SharonDee (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 07:06 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
(I believe the point she's trying to make isn't that this person will be going to jail on bullshit charges, it's that the police, out of embarrassment, charge them with bullshit, which then forces them to spend time and possibly money getting the charges dropped, or at least have to deal with the hassle of being arrested. Just like nobody was talking about all the hard time Henry Louis Gates was going to be spending in prison, but rather than the police officer abused his power by making the arrest in the first place.)
Obama fixed all of that, though, right?

All it took was bringing both sides to the table for a beer.

Again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
The fact that there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the lame citation, by default, would be a strong case for fighting it in court, demand the initial informant testify and then seek civil litigation with a good attorney.
So, the point that I am trying to make is that we are not in disagreement...parenthetically, or otherwise.

:cheers2:
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ 浪人 View Post
Obama fixed all of that, though, right?

All it took was bringing both sides to the table for a beer.
Um, no. Such an action may have soothed any ruffled feathers in that particular case. Ruffled feathers, however, were not the main problem, but rather the abuse of a position of authority out of spite to cover personal embarrassment. Same goes for the SWAT raid. That the family in question can probably get the bogus charge dismissed only shows that the legal system is still working, despite the actions of police who would rather put a family through a raid and a completely false criminal charge than admit they were mistaken.

That is a problem that needs to be addressed with systemic changes to the way police are trained and disciplined, especially how and when they are held accountable for their actions. Beer won't fix that.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-17-2010), Dingfod (08-15-2010), maddog (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Denver officials clash over police discipline after brutal video released - The Denver Post

Quote:
"The video, when viewed in isolation, seems to portray the subject officers as overly aggressive for the situation," Perea said. "There is no audio and it appears that there is a man on the phone ignoring but not being overtly aggressive towards the officer when the officer takes him down. The video, however, does not tell the entire story."
Yes, because coincidentally, in all of the parts where you can't make out what is going on, the guy was all attacking the cops and stuff like that. Also, for that whole time, he was saying extremely hurtful words, and the police had to act decisively in order to defend their fee-fees.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), Clutch Munny (08-15-2010), Dingfod (08-15-2010), erimir (08-15-2010), Naru (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (08-15-2010), viscousmemories (08-17-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Clutchenheimer

Love how the police HALO camera zooms out as far as it can go and points away when the operator realizes what's happening.
Adam (08-16-2010), beyelzu (09-01-2010), Crumb (08-16-2010), lisarea (08-15-2010), Nullifidian (04-02-2013), Stormlight (08-17-2010), viscousmemories (08-17-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
"The video, when viewed in isolation, seems to portray the subject officers as overly aggressive for the situation," Perea said. "There is no audio and it appears that there is a man on the phone ignoring but not being overtly aggressive towards the officer when the officer takes him down. The video, however, does not tell the entire story."
Yes, because coincidentally, in all of the parts where you can't make out what is going on, the guy was all attacking the cops and stuff like that. Also, for that whole time, he was saying extremely hurtful words, and the police had to act decisively in order to defend their fee-fees.
Also, as per the comments on the story, he had "already assaulted" a police officer.

Despite this, the cops decided that just beating him was enough and did not charge him with assault on a police officer, because they were feeling especially nice that night.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-17-2010), Crumb (08-16-2010), lisarea (08-16-2010), Nullifidian (04-02-2013)
Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael

That is a problem that needs to be addressed with systemic changes to the way police are trained and disciplined, especially how and when they are held accountable for their actions.
What is your particular area of expertise regarding police training and discipline addressing this issue?

What are some systemic changes you would like to see implemented and maybe provide some insight into how they may be accomplished.

Additionally ~

The National Police Accountability Project (NPAP)

Police Accountability and Citizen Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael
Beer won't fix that.
Heresy!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Citizen Review is a good idea, a possible way to address problems. How many departments employ them I wonder.
Thanks, from:
wildernesse (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

It seems police departments really have it in for black people lately.
Quote:
On the morning of July 22 at around 11:30 16 year old James Rivera was assassinated in premeditated murder, according to his family and witnesses.

According to James Rivera's mother police came to her house late at night/early morning before the murder and terrorized the family. Police held guns at 2 even younger children and told them they were going to kill him.

Later, according to friends, he was pulled over then released and then chased. As he crashed into a fence and made a u turn , police rammed the back of the blue van which caused the van to go out of control. The van went onto a lawn of a corner house on Salters Dr and Bancroft Way, finally crashed straight into the garage wall where the van seemed to be lodged into.

Officers exited their vehicles and asked James to exit the van twice but 2 seconds later they began to shoot. Over 30 rounds have been estimated to be found. They executed those rounds with 9mm handguns and fully automatic M-16 assault riffles.

Witnesses say that the ambulance arrived with out their sirens and left without them, as if there was no urgency. The people believe that he was dead at the scene. They saw officers pull him out and slap his face and then do nothing.

(article continues)
Unarmed man shot and killed during routine traffic stop.

Quote:
On July 5, 2010, a 36-year-old African man named Decarlos Moore was shot and killed by a cop during a” routine” traffic stop in Miami, FL.

Cop Joseph Marin and his training partner pulled over Moore around 11:30 AM on the 1600 block of NW 3rd Ave in Overtown. Moore got out of the car and walked toward the two cops. According to the police account - which the State-sponsored media has consistently echoed - Moore went back to his car and reached inside for several things, including aluminum foil.

At that point, Marin shot him in the head. Moore was unarmed. No weapons or contraband were found in his car.

Numerous witnesses at a nearby convenience store said Moore fell to the ground, bleeding on the rain-slicked pavement. ``He was still breathing,'' said witness Antwone McKnight who grew up with Moore and works at the convenience store. "He lost a lot of blood waiting for the ambulance to come.''

One witness saw Moore on the sidewalk, blood pouring from his mouth. "It looked like a faucet coming out of his mouth,'' he said "I've never seen crap like that.'' He started screaming for help.

Moore's sister, Katrina Moore, said the bullet entered and exited her brother's head. He was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital where he later died. "He was a good person," she said. "He loved life. He loved life. What can I say? That's my brother. He loved life."

Family members and friends who spoke at the funeral paid tribute to Moore's life, his love of family and unbreakable spirit. "Cocky was the big brother I never had,'' said cousin Yachica Moore.

(article continues)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (08-17-2010), lisarea (08-17-2010), Nullifidian (08-17-2010), Stephen Maturin (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Two more puppycides.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Quality Contributor

US cops: armed and dangerous? | Jennifer Abel | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
When Americans read British newspapers referencing "her Majesty", "his Highness" or "Lord So-and-So", we bask in the smug patriotic pride of knowing ours is no nation of aristocrats, but a country based on principles like equality before the law and authority granted by merit.

So we're told. Yet we do have de facto aristocrats, whose authority over ordinary citizens rivals what English royals gave up with the Magna Carta: power to inflict pain on anyone who treats them disrespectfully, power even to kill with relatively little fuss.

If mine were truly a free country, US police wouldn't wield such immense power or employ such aggressive tactics against their own citizenry – a militarisation of our police forces that started with the war on drugs and intensified after 9/11.
Adam (08-17-2010), Clutch Munny (08-17-2010), Deadlokd (08-17-2010), Kael (08-17-2010), LadyShea (08-17-2010), lisarea (08-17-2010), Nullifidian (08-17-2010), Pan Narrans (08-17-2010), Stephen Maturin (08-17-2010), The Man (08-17-2010), viscousmemories (08-17-2010), Watser? (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

From Stormlight's link:

Quote:
Robert Jordan applied for a police job in New London and scored 33 on his qualification exam, equivalent to a 125 IQ. That's one standard deviation above the mean – smart, but no genius by any definition. The city refused to hire him, stating a preference for those who scored 27 or lower; the suggested median for a patrol officer was 21. New London's argument was that smart people would find police work boring, and leave the profession after receiving expensive training. Jordan sued for discrimination – and lost. The court ruled there's nothing discriminatory about a city's desire to ensure only C-students get to carry police badges.
No shit? That's crazy.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (08-17-2010), erimir (08-17-2010), Kael (08-17-2010), Naru (08-18-2010), Nullifidian (08-17-2010), The Man (08-17-2010), Watser? (08-17-2010), Zehava (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamus Prime View Post
From Stormlight's link:

Quote:
Robert Jordan applied for a police job in New London and scored 33 on his qualification exam, equivalent to a 125 IQ. That's one standard deviation above the mean – smart, but no genius by any definition. The city refused to hire him, stating a preference for those who scored 27 or lower; the suggested median for a patrol officer was 21. New London's argument was that smart people would find police work boring, and leave the profession after receiving expensive training. Jordan sued for discrimination – and lost. The court ruled there's nothing discriminatory about a city's desire to ensure only C-students get to carry police badges.
No shit? That's crazy.
No, that's stupid!
Deadlokd (08-17-2010), Naru (08-18-2010), Nullifidian (08-17-2010), Pan Narrans (08-17-2010), The Man (08-17-2010), Zehava (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
California Sober

Family of woman killed in botched drug raid to receive $4.9 million - CNN.com

Look, you guys. It's just like winning the lottery. Yay cops!
Adam (08-17-2010), Ari (08-17-2010), ChuckF (08-17-2010), Deadlokd (08-17-2010), erimir (08-17-2010), Kael (08-17-2010), LadyShea (08-17-2010), lisarea (08-17-2010), Naru (08-18-2010), Nullifidian (08-17-2010), Pan Narrans (08-17-2010), SharonDee (08-18-2010), Sock Puppet (08-17-2010), Stephen Maturin (08-17-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-17-2010), viscousmemories (08-17-2010), Watser? (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Hey, I have a 94 yo old grandmother-in-law just sitting around being old, maybe the police can raid her house, and kill her so we can get some millions too.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-17-2010), ChuckF (08-17-2010), Crumb (08-17-2010), Demimonde (08-19-2010), Ensign Steve (08-17-2010), erimir (08-17-2010), lisarea (08-17-2010), Naru (08-18-2010), Stormlight (08-17-2010), The Man (08-17-2010), Watser? (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

omgus where is your thrad about the good side of kicking down the door and killing a 92 year old woman in a botched drug raid. i guess u guys arent interested in truth after all lol
Thanks, from:
Naru (08-18-2010), The Man (08-17-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium