Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Chefs as Chemists

I keep bumping old threads lately but I swear it's not a campaign, just a coincidence. We've talked about so much shit that whenever I read something new I remember that one time we talked about it.

In this case the occasion is the publishing of Modernist Cuisine, a five-volume (plus a recipe book) illustrated encyclopedia of the history and science of cooking by Nathan Myhrvold, a multifold genius (he was accepted to UCLA at 14), entrepreneur and cook. Smithsonian magazine has an article about this masterpiece.

Yeah, this shit is coolToday, he runs a business outside Seattle called Intellectual Ventures, a technology think tank for inventions such as a laser system to identify, track and incinerate mosquitoes in flight. IV, as the firm is called, has also served as a base for Myhrvold’s culinary experiments. He was drawn to cooking from an early age, and even as a software executive spent a day a week cutting vegetables and boning ducks as an apprentice in a tony Seattle restaurant. He went on to win important awards in competitive barbecue, before falling under the spell of Ferran Adrià, the wildly creative and acclaimed Spanish chef credited with inventing a style of cooking that is known to the Food Network-watching public as “molecular gastronomy.”

Myhrvold, Adrià and other chefs reject that label as inaccurate. Besides, as a phrase to lure restaurant customers it’s not exactly up there with Steak Frites. But I think it captures Adrià's unique perspective, his ability to transcend the inherent attributes of vegetables and cuts of meat. For most of human history, cooks took their raw ingredients as they came. A carrot was always and forever a carrot, whether it was cooked in a pan with butter or in the oven with olive oil or in a pot with beef and gravy. Modernist cooking, to use Myhrvold’s term, deconstructs the carrot, as well as the butter, olive oil and beef, into their essential qualities—of flavor, texture, color, shape, even the temperature of the prepared dish—and reassembles them in ways never before tasted, or imagined. It creates, says Myhrvold, "a world where your intuition fails you completely," where food doesn’t look like what it is, or necessarily like food at all. One of its proudest achievements is Hot and Cold Tea—a cup of Earl Grey that by some chemical magic is hot on one side and cold on the other. "It's a very odd feeling," says one of Myhrvold’s two co-authors, a chef named Chris Young. "Kind of makes the hairs stand up on the back of your head."

As gross as those tofu pearls upthread look to me, I cannot deny finding this fascinating. But wait! There's more! There's video!1 The first segment is charcoal being lit in extreme slow-mo, and the second is an amazing series of slow motion captures of a gelatin cube in motion. A. May. Zing.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-07-2011), Kael (06-07-2011), vremya (06-07-2011), wei yau (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Tellifying

Note: Don't get too annoyed that the video is auto-play (stupid ad). It's really worth a look.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Not autoplay anymore. I fixded it.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (06-07-2011), wei yau (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Did you ever watch the Heston Blumenthal series "In search of perfection"? It is well worth having a look, although I do not recommend trying to follow his recipes, as he is a man who thinks NOTHING of inventing a recipe that takes 3 days to cook, or requires a 10 foot deep barbecue pit to be dug in your garden, or that requires you to find some way of creating you chocolate mousse in a vacuum.

Now THERE is a man who takes his food chemistry seriously. I am definitely going to make a point of taking her indoors to the Fat Duck one day to sample his culinary extravaganza.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

We get Heston's Feasts down here. It's pretty awesome, and he talks about food chemistry (like the 80s episode when he figured out how to get cheese to go all gooey and stringy).
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Admin

I read a big long article about Modernist Cuisine in Wired a few months ago. Very cool stuff.
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I did try to read part of The Fat Duck last year, talk about a cookbook with recipes you can't follow!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Big Bloody Bastard

Well, the gelatine will move like a liquid because it is a liquid.

Contrary to macroscopic appearances, gelatine (being a hydrocolloid) is actually a mesh of solid particles contained within a liquid. What you actually get, therefore, is a liquid held in place by a 3D microscopic net.

Freezing the gelatine will poke a few holes in the net and allow very small particles (inc. water and flavour molecules) to filter through as the gelatine thaws.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

That book is ridiculously expensive. ABE Books posted last week that they had a few copies listed and they were in four figures. Since my reference budget for the cookbook section is about $500 and due to be cut I know I won't be buying it for the library.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Hey its a mere 250 dollars :)
Amazon.com: The Big Fat Duck Cookbook (9781596915503): Heston Blumenthal: Books

this man does EVERYTHING to truly ridiculous standards.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Fat Duck I bought, it was fairly reasonable. Modernist Cuisine is the ridiculously expensive one.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 PM

They should donate a copy to any library that wants it.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (06-16-2011)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

A ha. I knew there was a thread here where I could put this:

A review of culinary illusions, and the douchebags who’ve pioneered them. – HiLobrow
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (05-18-2016), Corona688 (05-21-2016), Janet (05-24-2016), JoeP (05-18-2016), mickthinks (05-18-2016), Sock Puppet (05-18-2016), vremya (05-18-2016), Zehava (05-18-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink