Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
Default Re: Trivial things that annoy you

I'm glad to be classed as a "trivial thing" once and for all! Huge load off my shoulders.

:thanked:
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Those people who tell some story, and it's about two different states, one which is hot and one which is cold, except they pick two states that both start with the letters M-I, and then I'm really tired or something and I guess I don't read whole words sometimes, so the story is really confusing and I have to read it for SIX WHOLE HOURS or something like that before I can tell what they're talking about.
Yeah.

And "infrastructure".

I'm all "WTF?"

It's about snow plows, isn't it? ISN'T IT?
Tanda (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
ŧiggermonkey

If you ask for someone and I tell you that he's at lunch and then ask you if someone else can help you or if you want his voice mail, that requires a response other than, "No, I need <said person>" because I, eh, just told you that he's unavailable. Duh? :facepalm:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

When you're tracking a package, and you watch it sit in some warehouse for days and days and days, and then, eventually, you hit reload again, and they're like NOW IT'S ON THE TRUCK! SCHEDULED FOR DELIVERY!

So you look out the window all day, and you're all like, "Oh, please Santa! Please come now!" and you wait and wait like a sad zoo monkey waiting for a guy to come around with your bananas.

Sometimes, I think maybe they shouldn't have package tracking at all, because it makes you crazy, and other times I think they should have a tracking chip on your package so you can be like a guy on TV and pull up some big map and watch some little red dot get closer and closer to your house until it IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE! One extreme or another would be OK, but this specific level of granularity is maddening.

Also, those other ways also maddening, but the grass is always greener.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), ceptimus (02-28-2024), Demimonde (02-16-2010), Gonzo (02-17-2010), Naru (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Coffin Creep

I'm waiting on a package sent from Georgia two weeks ago, or so. Last Friday it was in Greensboro, NC. :brooding:
lisarea (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Georgia, Russia, amirite?

IN SOVIET GEORGIA PACKAGE TRACKS YOU
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-16-2010), lisarea (02-16-2010), Naru (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Pyrrho (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Watser? (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Once, I ordered Maturin's main Christmas present in plenty of time, then watched as the package made it to our local distribution center, got on the truck for delivery, then...went back to the local distribution center, then put on a different truck to like Idaho or something for about a week, after which they sent it back to Colorado and then it came to our house sometime around New Years.

But then I complained about it, so we got it for free. Sad Christmas for Maturin, I guess, but it worked out for me because I didn't have to pay for his present. And after all, that's what really matters.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), ceptimus (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Sock Puppet (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Georgia, Russia, amirite?

IN SOVIET GEORGIA PACKAGE TRACKS YOU
Georgia, USA.

It's now saying that it went out for delivery today, but the mail has already been delivered. :brooding:
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Until we live in a world where everyone knows how to use the ATM, why not have two ATM lanes? One functional ATM for people who know what they're doing, and another toy ATM for mouthbreathing idiots who just like pressing the buttons and reading what is on the screen. Yes, it is morning rush hour. Yes, there are a lot of cars backing up behind you while you try to roll over your 401(k) or whatever the fuck you are trying to do up there.

No, do not look back at the big line of cars behind you, because that will just cause you to lose your place and you'll have to start reading again. HELPFUL HINT: If it starts with "Deposits made after 2:00 p.m..." it doesn't apply to deposits made at 8 a.m. you stupid asshole. Press continue. If you're making a deposit, why not count it BEFORE you drive up the ATM?

Jesus Christ. If you need this much help to complete a transaction, there are people inside who can help you. Right there, in the same building. They will do all of the heavy lifting. You just tell them what you want and they will do it. None of this newfangled machinery to deal with at all. Maybe you should try that next time. Also, they don't care that you can't get close enough to the ATM to use it without having to open your door and unbuckle your seat belt and basically get out of your car so everybody gets a full-body view of the retard who is slowing everyone else down.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-16-2010), ceptimus (02-28-2024), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Potato (02-17-2010), Pyrrho (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Until we live in a world where everyone knows how to use the ATM, why not have two ATM lanes? One functional ATM for people who know what they're doing, and another toy ATM for mouthbreathing idiots who just like pressing the buttons and reading what is on the screen.
That would work just as well as 'Slow Moving Traffic - Keep Right' signs do.
ChuckF (02-16-2010), curses (02-16-2010), Nullifidian (02-17-2010), Pan Narrans (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Watser? (02-16-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM
You are number 6!

Whoever parks next to me in the garage should learn how to park their car straight. The parking spots are tiny. Their vehicle is not tiny. Parking so crooked that part of their back-end is in my spot is unbelievably frustrating. Thankfully, I don't drive a beast of a car or else it wouldn't fit.... and if it didn't fit in the spot I'm paying $50/month for, I'd have to do some kicking and yelling.

Move your car, person! It has been taking up space in my spot for a few days now! You're a selfish jerk!

On a completely unrelated note, I also get annoyed with people who tell me they "can't" do something when they really should just say "I suck and am lazy. Do it for me."
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM
you're next

not being thanked for being genuinely nice. i noticed that when i welcomed somebody back he went and thanked everybody but me. i know i shouldn't let it bother me, but i just noticed today while browsing and well...it bugged me. i shouldn't expect to get thanks and i actually HATE that weak feature, but i have tried to play ball...maybe that's my mistake and what's making me feel bad :chin:

anyhow, i don't often expect to be thanked here for my pov, but to not be thanked for welcoming somebody back and doing so genuinely...is a trivial thing that bothers me.

but hey- in the end it's my issue and i shouldn't be made weak by something i see as weak. i guess in the end the trivial thing that bothers me is actually my own triviality.

Last edited by ZEZOZE; 02-17-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-13-2014)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 AM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
A hypothesis: People might be reluctant to thank you because they think it's likely that you'll get snarky about it, instead of treating it as a genuine act of kindness/gratitude?

i've never been snarky for a thanks...the petty human in me actually likes it. that's what bugs me about the thanks button! lol. i'm as nice to people here as i am mean to others. do i come off as some kind of snippy grump?

it's interesting hypothesis, but if you're correct...well i don't know!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Well, FWIW, I've been reluctant to interact with you on a number of occasions for more or less exactly that reason. ...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
you're next

and like i said...in the end it's my own triviality, my own normalcy in how i relate to the device that bothers me.

how i'm not really any different. i might go around saying that a lot, but it sucks when i have to apply it to myself :)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
you're next

Quote:
Well, FWIW, I've been reluctant to interact with you on a number of occasions for more or less exactly that reason. ...
well here we are dancing cheek to cheek...because the past never happened.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Done

Quote:
Past behavior that happens over and over again, is always a good indicator of future behavior.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 AM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
Quote:
Past behavior that happens over and over again, is always a good indicator of future behavior.
and yet i'm always willing to give you a break.

because really- what does it hurt?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Forum Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOZAZ View Post
not being thanked for being genuinely nice. i noticed that when i welcomed somebody back he went and thanked everybody but me.
I thought you disliked the thanks system. There's posts of yours I'd have thanked, but was concerned you'd take that as ironic or something.

Unless some shitstorm or other happened behind my back and I didn't notice, you've lightened up a lot lately. s'appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 AM
winging it

You're all trivially annoying me.

:wink:
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (03-05-2010), Gonzo (02-17-2010), Stormlight (02-17-2010), Ymir's blood (02-17-2010), ZEZOZE (02-17-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 AM
you're next

i don't like it, but i'm flawed and a sucker like everybody else. it's really my issue. i've tried to play ball and i use it from time to time, but i still don't like the idea of it...and yet here i am annoyed at not being thanked.

my bag completely.
Tanda (02-17-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Trivial things that annoy me:

Idiots.

Specifically, idiots who see the world in a conservative vs. liberal binary, and therefore treat me as the other whenever I disagree with them on any point, major or minor.

I'm sick of being taunted with Obama, Al Gore, Michael Moore, and Clinton when I disagree with a lolbertarian or a teabagger, and I'm equally sick of being treated like a Palin-junkie just because I happen to publicly disagree with a liberal.

The most recent manifestation of this was when Melissa Harris-Lacewell twittered an entry at a leftist blog I read regularly, writing, "Good to know that not everyone is excited about my new column in @TheNation." The implication that her elevation had annoyed conservative bloggers—which she may well believe herself, in which case she's also one of the idiots I'm complaining about—caused one of her Twitter "followers" (an apt name if there ever was one) to come over to this blog and object to a lack of "specifics", and diagnosed "petty jealousy" over MHL's promotion. He also introduced MHL's Princeton job as evidence of her intellectual heft, as if a merit class stamp of approval were all that were needed to silence all criticism. When criticism was not silenced, it was again because of "jealousy". All us poor, benighted failures with no academic achievements to speak of were simply trying to "disparage real intellectuals who have actually achieved something".

What, exactly, MHL has achieved was left unstated. Maybe it was her Nation column. Mission accomplished, eh?

But he certainly did have us pegged: "It's clear that most of you here are very conservative."

Note that this statement was made well after the following:

Quote:
I do so agree with you that the discourse has been dumbed-down on virtually all important topics, but I don't think this blog can take the blame for it. Instead, the dumbing-down happened in the pages of establishment newspapers and magazines like the New York Times and The Nation, where we were taught to take in the news that 12 civilians died, but not to ask why a missile guidance system that is supposed to be accurate up to one yard is blowing people 900 yards from the target away. Why, indeed, should we accept the logic of "collateral damage" as if "whoops!" were a sufficient defense for war crimes? When will one of these echt establishment organs ask what the difference is between targeting civilians deliberately and targeting "civilian areas" with guided missiles you know damn well don't hit their intended target 75% of the time?
That's me above. Apparently these are the things a teabagger would say. :facepalm:

I don't necessarily expect people to infer my exact political position from the first moment, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to be able to distinguish me from a right-winger when I say things like that.

The best part, though, was when he brought in a sock puppet named Sam whose first words were, "I have to agree with Bert." Later, Sam/Bert got a little mixed up, replying to one poster as Bert, and then correcting himself as Sam. Fortunately, Sam/Bert proved utterly beyond embarrassment, and came back even after his sock puppetry had become clear, which is how I found out that I'm really a deep-dyed conservative.
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (02-17-2010), The Lone Ranger (02-17-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Man in Black

Yesterday a co-worker literally blew me a kiss after he approved my implementation of his piss-poor idea. He even smacked his lips.

:projectilevomit:
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
ŧiggermonkey

People who take off their coat when they get to work, yet, continue to wear their scarf in the office. In this intance, our receptionist. Retard.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium