Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

Definately!

I forgot to add that Captain Howdy does these fantastic monolouges which sound totally unbelievable to anyone. Anyone that is who hasn't read Slobberin's style, that is. I swear to dog that the guy could have posed as model for this thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I love me some cheesy horror flicks. Hubby isn't a fan unfortunately so I rarely get to indulge. Will check out Strangeland if I get a chance

One of my all time faves is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Total laugh riot...although I am pretty sure it was meant to be funny so kinda missing that unintentionally humourous edge.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (04-28-2009)
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I recently enjoyed Changeling and Yes Man.

Also, I am now officially a NetFlix devotee. It is very cool. I have had the opportunity to watch a lot of older movies that I otherwise wouldn't have, also have an easier time keeping up on the recent releases that I would like to see, since I can generally add them to the queue when they are in theaters.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 AM

Continuing my behind-the-curveness, I have finally seen The Dark Knight. I didn't get the mad love for this movie; it was so complicated and hard to follow in places. But once I started watching it again for the RiffTrax, I had to turn off the riffers because the movie was starting to make sense. Now I need to watch it a third time for Mike Nelson and the guys.

So ... I finally get it!

:joker:
BrotherMan (04-29-2009), LadyShea (04-29-2009), Stormlight (04-29-2009), wei yau (05-05-2009)
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

A potentially enjoyable summer action super hero movie. It's Hugh Jackman! And Liev Schreiber! Oh, and *swoon!* Gambit! How could it miss?

I'll tell you how. But first, the good. Hugh Jackman poses and growls. Liev Schrieber threatens and howls. Things blow up good.

The bad. Everything else. Well, most everything else. The first part (half, I guess) isn't bad. It lays out the distant to mid-recent past of the amnesiac mutant healer, including his fighting in every war since the American Civil War. How he was recruited into a double secret black ops group and how that lead to his unbreakable unobtainium skeleton.

But he walks away from all of it. See, he grows a conscience or something. Or he just feels his age, I guess an 140 year old man would be extra cranky or something. And that's when the extra ridiculous begins. I'll not spoil by talking about it, just know that you should turn off the brain at this point and you might survive.

One of the draws of this movie is that Gambit *swoon!* is in it. It's a waste. A total waste. Any mutant, any human, could have been swapped in with no loss to the story. They gave Gambit *swoon!* nothing Gambity to do. No one to snark with, no one to call cher. Nothing. And that's another complaint about the movie as well. There were other mutants but they were inconsequential to the rest of the story. (Save for Liev's Sabertooth.) Yes, yes, the movie is about Wolverine, duh, it's right there in the title. But if you're going to show other mutants, let them be their mutanty selves. Despite what the fanbois say, there are other mutants besides Wolverine.

For a better, more cogent review, see Roger Ebert's take - which I find spot on.

Right now, Rotten Tomatoes has it at 38% (rotten), despite what I didn't like about it (the plethora that it is) I don't judge it quite so harshly. I give it about 50%. If you're a fan, you might find something to enjoy. If you just want to see Hugh Jackman ... I have no advice, it's your money to spend. Otherwise, I say wait for DVD or even better FX DVD on TV.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Coffin Creep

Return of the Vampire (1943) Bela Lugosi's only other role as a vampire IIRC. An enjoyable film, though Lugosi sort of phoned this one in. Well, it's hard to say. He didn't get a lot of dialog, not even showing his face until maybe a third of the way through. Otherwise, there were some small plot holes and oddities, as well as an unfortunate tendency to moralize on the part of the heroine.

That latter bit is probably due to the time the movie was made, in the middle of WWII. There was a definite attempt to frame the story as a metaphor about how good will overcome evil. Part of it involves the vampire's werewolf slave overcoming mental dominance and turning on his master. Certainly a parallel was being drawn between him and the then occupied parts of Europe under the Nazis. Bonus symbolism: the vampire is freed by Nazi bombs hitting the graveyard he was buried in.

Footage of wartime London is spliced into the film, including a shot of a German bomber with the swastika reversed - presumably the image was flipped. My brother said that its landing gear was down also, but I was looking at the marking oddity at the time.

Extra WWII factoid: the son of the heroine is explicitly said to have been injured in the war and thus not able to be fighting. His fiance is shown in uniform when first introduced.

The best moments in the movie come from the character actors in the supporting cast. They add humor without coming across as bumbling, not always easy to do for unimportant characters. Other points of interest come from some nice scenery in the graveyard, obviously shot on a set however. I also thought it interesting that the vampire had an origin drawn from a more folkloric angle, he wasn't bitten but rose from the dead as a result of having fixated on the study of evil (vampires) during his life. Strangely enough, in life he wrote the book that tells the protagonists how to destroy vampires!

All in all, it wasn't a bad film and didn't feel like time wasted. It was the third of the $3 DVDs. The last one, as yet unwatched is a mummy movie starring Tony Curtis, which seems like it will be odd.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

BrotherMan pretty much nailed it on Wolverine. I liked it more than the third X-Men movie, but nowhere near as well as the second.

The good: The writers do a decent job blending the established movie canon regrading Stryker, Alkali Lake, etc. with the comicbook canon details of Logan's past. Things get blowed up but good, and then blowed up some more for good measure. Shreiver and Reynolds nailed Sabretooth and Deadpool. As always with this franchise, half the fun for fans of the source material is picking out cameos and nods to comicbook continuity (I giggled when I realized that they had made the cheesy, comicbooky "Silver Fox" into the surname "Silverfox".) .

The bad: Dumb plot is dumb. Arbitrary powers are used in arbitrary ways. Emotional developments are contrived and trite. Seriously, does Kayla ever wear any actual clothes when she's at home delivering cheesy stories about moons and their lovers? Gambit, fucking Gambit for fuck's sake, has no personality. DEADPOOL DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

While I'm at it, there's one thing that's always bothered me about the franchise. In the comics, Logan is pretty consistently portrayed as being physically unattractive. So, whose idea was it to cast Hugh Jackman?

ETA: Oh, one more thing that occurred to me at the end of the movie. It's not exactly a spoiler that Logan forgets everything that happens by the time it's over. I can't help but think it would have been more interesting to start at the end, with Logan not knowing what's going on, and move backwards Memento style.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I know pretty much squat about Deadpool. I know that he's the one good thing to come from the wretched hand of Rob Liefeld and I thought for sure he couldn't shoot cyclopsian beams from his eyeballs. Oh and that his mouth wasn't surgically shut. Since the movie I've seen people refer to that creation as a one off of Shatterstar, but not exactly. (No idea who that is either, off to wiki I go!)
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

I don't know what the hell that was on the screen in front of me, but it wasn't Deadpool and it wasn't Shatterstar.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Saw Frost/Nixon. Quite good; while one could easily quibble about how it's over-dramatized (and the DVD includes excerpts from the actual interview that make it undeniable), or how incidental plot points are fudged (Frost wasn't nearly as "outclassed" as an interviewer as the film portrays him), it works.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't know what the hell that was on the screen in front of me, but it wasn't Deadpool and it wasn't Shatterstar.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but isn't the "Deadpool"/Baraka/Dude Seriously What Is This? guy supposed to be called "Weapon XI" in the movie? I read something to that effect.

Last movie I watched was The Spirit which was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected on that level. It was a good Frank Miller comic movie, but not a good representation of The Spirit. Hopefully someone will eventually make a real Spirit movie.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM

They call him Weapon XI in the same way they call Wolverine Weapon X (not that the X in Weapon X was ever a numerical designation in the comics but whatever), but he's Wade Wilson and, at one point, Stryker refers to the collection of powers to be implanted in him as "the dead pool", so he's supposed to be Deadpool in some sense, but he has a different set of powers from the comicbook version.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I saw Frost/Nixon a couple of weeks ago. I thought that Ron Howard did a good job building and maintaining tension, which outside of action movies, can be lacking in many dramas.

I saw Disney's Earth. Which I would say avoid.
I love nature films, but this thing was awful. The narration was bad, the music worse and the editing choppy. They followed an animal family very briefly, then would switch to random cuts of other animals in the area as soon as things got slightly dramatic or realistic.

My son asked to leave early, about three other groups left early too.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
They call him Weapon XI in the same way they call Wolverine Weapon X (not that the X in Weapon X was ever a numerical designation in the comics but whatever), but he's Wade Wilson and, at one point, Stryker refers to the collection of powers to be implanted in him as "the dead pool", so he's supposed to be Deadpool in some sense, but he has a different set of powers from the comicbook version.
Actually, Grant Morrison did a retcon in The New X-Men that suggested "Weapon X" was actually the Roman numeral. However, considering the number of things that Morrison changed, or did, period, that are subsequently ignored, I would say that it doesn't count. He did this through the inclusion of a "Weapon XII" and "Weapon XIII" I believe.

Also, from the pictures I saw of the movie, the fellow designated Weapon XI didn't look a thing like Ryan Reynolds. So that threw me.

Deadpool only has a healing factor, anyway, and that's not even really his power.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I love nature films, but this thing was awful. The narration was bad, the music worse and the editing choppy. They followed an animal family very briefly, then would switch to random cuts of other animals in the area as soon as things got slightly dramatic or realistic.
I wondered if it might be worth seeing. I find most "nature documentaries" either boring or annoying, and the previews for Earth didn't make me think it was going to be worth my time.

So I saw Wolverine instead. I'm not exactly certain that was a better choice, though.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

It had to be better than Earth. For one you missed the 15 minute introduction by Disney jr. about how his dad's show was so great, you know the one where they faked stuff to make it more dramatic? It was both boring and annoying.

It was throw you box of popcorn bad.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J Creezy View Post
Actually, Grant Morrison did a retcon in The New X-Men that suggested "Weapon X" was actually the Roman numeral. However, considering the number of things that Morrison changed, or did, period, that are subsequently ignored, I would say that it doesn't count. He did this through the inclusion of a "Weapon XII" and "Weapon XIII" I believe.
Huh. I've never read Morrison's run.

Quote:
Also, from the pictures I saw of the movie, the fellow designated Weapon XI didn't look a thing like Ryan Reynolds. So that threw me.
According to imdb, the guy playing Deadpool/Weapon XI was a different actor. I'm pretty sure they still used Reynolds for the close up shots of his face, though. It looks liek Fox has confirmed both a sequel (following the Japanese portion of Wolverine's back story) and a Deadpool spinoff, with Reynolds as the title character. I'll be pissed if they keep the Weapon XI powers upon powers version of Deadpool, but someone on another forum pointed out a hilarious way to deal with that. Deadpool is aware of the fourth wall. Just take away the extra powers and have him bitch to the audience about the retcon.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Huh. I've never read Morrison's run.
Its pretty polarizing. It also, more or less, leads directly into The Astonishing X-Men as it ends with Jean Grey dying for the... second? time and them Emma and Scott hitting it off.

Quote:
According to imdb, the guy playing Deadpool/Weapon XI was a different actor. I'm pretty sure they still used Reynolds for the close up shots of his face, though. It looks liek Fox has confirmed both a sequel (following the Japanese portion of Wolverine's back story) and a Deadpool spinoff, with Reynolds as the title character.
I forgot there was the whole "Wolverine in Japan" backstory they came up with in the mid 90s.

Quote:
I'll be pissed if they keep the Weapon XI powers upon powers version of Deadpool, but someone on another forum pointed out a hilarious way to deal with that. Deadpool is aware of the fourth wall. Just take away the extra powers and have him bitch to the audience about the retcon.
That would be fantastic. Completely and utterly fantastic.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Coffin Creep

Seen any good movies...?

no! (The Mummy Lives)

Whoa. The last of the $3 DVDs really brought the average down. I mostly got this one for shits and giggles because Tony Curtis was in it. Nothing against the man, but he seemed really out of place in a horror film. Well, he was. However it could have survived if not for dull voice over monologues (one of which made both my brother and myself start laughing. Both of us thought of Airplane at the same time...)

Poor acting, horrible script... MST3K would have had a field day with this one. The worst part was when the 'Egyptian god' Zoth (god of whatever the script demands at the moment, appearance ripped off from Anubis) spoke. He sounded like someone imitating a death metal cookie monster growl. Ouch.

The secret doors and booby traps in the tomb were pathetic. Pull a figurine away from the wall and paper-mâché boulders fill up 25% of the corridor! That's bound to stop uh, slow down anyone following you. And then the 8' tall statue that just sorts of slides around so the secret door behind it can open. WTF? At least have the thing move on a groove or a track.

I'm not even going to get into the plot holes, because those outnumbered the parts that were whole...

Not a total waste though, as we had some fun adding dialogue.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

The Class (Entre les Murs) was fantastic. It's not standard schlocky "Teacher teaches inner-city youth how to live!" but it's very realistic.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:01 AM
California Sober

I saw Star Trek today. It was awesome.
It's Me! (05-11-2009)
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 AM
A fellow sophisticate

:yeahthat:
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I third the sentiment.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

I DVRed another weird little flick that I enjoyed, Fido.

This is a movie that I had seen at the video store, and passed right over. The cover art does nothing to show the mood of the film. It was a darkly lit picture of a zombie Billy Connolly looking scary. Not at all what this film is about or what it has to offer. It is an hilarious black comedy which mocks American culture and corporations. With Zombies!

Imagine Pleasantville meets Shaun of the Dead

The news reels in the begining set up the premise with a delightful mix of old zombie movie footage and new material. The set up is an alternate reality where the zombie wars occurred instead of WW2. Bloody horrible zombie wars which nearly decimated the human race. Foruntately a scientist created a way to domesticate zombies, so they can become our servants. A vast coporate entity evolves to manage all things related to death and security. Those who die become zombie slaves, unless you are rich enough to afford a funeral.

There are so many great angles they run with in this scenerio. One of my favs is "Never trust the elderly."

"Help! Grampa has fallen, and he's getting up!!!"

A very funny and creative send up of the cold war era. Great style, and clever writing. At times even touching. I highly reccomend.

:zombieglomp::zombieglomp::zombieglomp:
Adam (05-14-2009), Doctor X (05-18-2009), LadyShea (05-14-2009), Ymir's blood (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I LOVE nature documentaries, and hoped Earth would be appropriate for my 3 yo to see (which is why they probably edited out the realistic drama, so kids can see it)

I own Blue Planet, and though Kiddo likes much of it, some of the more "real nature drama" scenes were simply too disturbing for him...heck watching the Orcas play volleyball with a baby sea lion was too much for me.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature