Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Clutchenheimer

Default Re: Brooding about the Most Recent Faculty Meeting

Anyhow, TLR, my condolences on finding yourself in a truly awful situation. Anyone can find themselves in a job that is unpleasant, but it's something extra bad to go into a line of work out of some deeply-felt values and then to find one's job systematically doing violence to those values. My advice (fwiw) is also to keep your head down and your lip buttoned for now. Get tenure, then quietly get out.

A university president who refuses to meet with faculty -- wow. Not unprecedented, I suppose, but disgusting and shocking still.

What is the prevailing attitude towards research and publication at your shop? If you've been publishing a bit during your time there, that will certainly increase the number of places at which you could reasonably expect an interview when the time comes. But I know that some schools just don't allow time for it, and some (I've heard) even regard publication with a jaundiced eye, as if it indicates an excess of ambition or an intention not to stick around.
Demimonde (03-27-2012), One for Sorrow (03-27-2012), SharonDee (03-27-2012), The Lone Ranger (03-27-2012), Waluigi (03-27-2012), wei yau (03-27-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall