Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Love Bomb

Default Re: One of those 'Wat'cha Listenin' To?' threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
W00t! Thanks so much luna!
My pleasure. Check your email. :)

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunachick
:woohoo:

Just scored a version of this with a higher bitrate. It's good to be able to hear it properly (well, as properly as an mp3 gets, anyway.)

:woohoo:
What exactly are you searching for? I'm using the latest version of WinMX with the mapped TCP and UDP ports (so my hits should be maxxed) and coming up with nada. :(
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Love Bomb

Simply search for William Burroughs, and you'll get plenty of hits. If you see a user by the name of lunachick505, then upload from her, 'cos she's me.

It could be that we are going through different routers, or whatever they are, but hopefully, you'll see me there. Naturally, I'm going through Australia/Asia rather than the Americas.

It'll be open all night while I sleep, so you have time.

Good luck. :)

(If you have any trouble, send me an email addy that can handle big files, and I'll sent it to you)

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Admin

Quote:
Simply search for William Burroughs, and you'll get plenty of hits. If you see a user by the name of lunachick505, then upload from her, 'cos she's me.
Ah, thanks dah'link. You're right that 'William Burroughs' brings a lot of hits, including a copy of that file (though not from you, oddly). Strange that 'burroughs', 'burroughs gysin', 'burroughs gysin destroyer', 'ah pook', 'ah pook destroyer', 'burroughs ah pook destroyer', etc. brought nada. :glare:

Quote:
It could be that we are going through different routers, or whatever they are, but hopefully, you'll see me there. Naturally, I'm going through Australia/Asia rather than the Americas.
We probably are on different subnets. I don't seize you.

Quote:
It'll be open all night while I sleep, so you have time.

Good luck. :)

(If you have any trouble, send me an email addy that can handle big files, and I'll sent it to you)
Hopefully I'll get it now. :)
Old 08-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Admin

Ahhh.... I finally got it, and it was clear and awesome.

I think it's likely that the first time I heard Burroughs was in Sharkey's Night, by Laurie Anderson. Speaking of whom... I got this double CD of hers called Live in New York, which is a recording of her performance at NY's Town Hall a week after the 9/11 attacks. Enclosed in the CD was a little piece of paper with her thoughts on the show, which ends with this:

Quote:
I know many artists had the feeling last fall that their work took on new meaning. For me, singing lines from "O Superman" like "Here come the planes. They're American planes. Made in America." felt like I had written it yesterday. In fact, I wrote that song in 1980 during the Iran-Contra affair, which now seemed like part of a longer conflict that continues to rage between the worlds of Islam and the West. It wasn't that the songs were "prophetic" as several reviewers pointed out. It was simply that this war was still going on. Loss, betrayal, death, technology, anger and angels, these have often been the things I have written about. At Town Hall in New York I was singing for once about the absolute present.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Babby Police

Quote:
The Magdalene Laundries ... Just heard it for the first time.
Joni Mitchell ... is a genius.

I just came across something I'd forgotten I had, the complete version of The Guess Who's 1972 album Live At The Paramount, which contains a half a dozen more songs than the original release. I scored the mp3s a few years ago off Napster. There is a pretty funny review of Live At The Paramount in Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, a brilliant and hilarious collection of Lester Bangs' articles from old Creem magazines and elsewhere. Bangs gave the live album full marks, and may have been the only rock critic to refer to Burton Cummings as a "punk," on the strength of the 17-minute version of American Woman, which features Cummings' extemporaneous musings: "American bitch, American lesbian, American slut, American nurse."

I don't know what the hell ever happened to Burton Cummings, apparently he became a Vancouver real estate mogul or something, but in his day he was one of the best singers to come out of Winnipeg, or anywhere else for that matter. The line-up on Live At The Paramount (and several other albums) also featured probably one of the most underrated guitarists ever, the late Kurt Winter, who also wrote or co-wrote a load of the GW's biggest hits.

Live At The Paramount is the band at its best, from their heaviest to the gorgeous Cummings ballad Sour Suite. That was one hell of a versatile band.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Solipsist

Nothing wrong with Sugababes ... except ... going along with this evil trend of sampling classics from my youth and sticking out-of-character lyrics over them. I'm thinking of their song which uses Gary Numan's Are Friends Electric. I heard another song, which fortunately I don't know any details of, in a music store which was over Bela Lugosi's Dead. Heresy! How dare they!

Anyway, have just removed Sheryl Crow "Sheryl Crow" from the CD player and started on Adore (The Smashing Pumpkins).

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Rodent of Unusual Size

Quote:
I'm rather jealous that you have a bona fide CD of this. I love Afro-Latin sounds, old and new. I have a later recording of Jorge Ben with David Byrne on a tape cassette here somewhere, and I would definitely play it if I had a working cassette deck. And out on loan is a CD of various artists called Red, Hot & Rio which has songs written by Gilberto Gil, among others. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Check out these guys if you feel like it. I think you will like them. :)
Thanks for the link. They sound like they would be a lot of fun to hear live. It will probably be a few more years before I get to NZ, however.

I'm not familiar with Jorge Ben and David Byrne working together. I know a number of Jorge Ben's songs appeared on Brazil Classics Vol. 1 that David Byrne put together on Luaka Bop. If you run across that tape sometime I would be interested in knowing what it is.

- Donald
Old 08-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod
Thanks for the link. They sound like they would be a lot of fun to hear live. It will probably be a few more years before I get to NZ, however.
Yeah, they're great. :)

If I see them around anywhere, I'll ask when and where they'll be playing in the States. They're in Europe at the moment, though, so probably won't see them till the summer.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Jorge Ben and David Byrne working together. I know a number of Jorge Ben's songs appeared on Brazil Classics Vol. 1 that David Byrne put together on Luaka Bop. If you run across that tape sometime I would be interested in knowing what it is.

- Donald
Luaka Bop is the one, and after a quick rummage I've found the tape. It's a homemade tape with Coupé Cloué's Maximum Compas from Haiti on the other side.

The track from Jorge Ben on A Luaka Bop is Ponta de Lanca Africano and it's my fave track on the album.

Another great on the album is Caetano Veloso, who has a new album out called A Foreign Sound. I haven't heard it, but read a good review of it recently.

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti
Joni Mitchell ... is a genius.
Yup.

Quote:
I just came across something I'd forgotten I had, the complete version of The Guess Who's 1972 album Live At The Paramount, which contains a half a dozen more songs than the original release.
Hey, I used to have that on vinyl! Loved it. I have no idea which version it was, though. We used to play America Woman at mega-decibels, and rawk.

I'm pretty sure Burton Cummings did some solo stuff after The Guess Who, but my memory is hazy.
Quote:
There is a pretty funny review of Live At The Paramount in Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, a brilliant and hilarious collection of Lester Bangs' articles from old Creem magazines and elsewhere.
That book looks excellent. Wish I had a darned credit card, I'd buy a copy for myself and a copy for my old mate, Paul, who is a drummer and avid reader of anything to do with music.

Quote:
I don't know what the hell ever happened to Burton Cummings, apparently he became a Vancouver real estate mogul or something, but in his day he was one of the best singers to come out of Winnipeg, or anywhere else for that matter.
Seems to happen to so many - restauranteurs, real estate, club owners...where's the punk and anti-establishment in that?! Ahh, well, I guess that's reality, eh, and reality ain't rock'n'roll.

(I was hoping you'd show up in this thread, Scarlatti. :))

~ Ice T ~

Last edited by Petra; 08-13-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Anyway, have just removed Sheryl Crow "Sheryl Crow" from the CD player and started on Adore (The Smashing Pumpkins).
I'm not going to talk about Sheryl Crow, as I'm not into her stuff at all.

Smashing Pumpkins have their moments, though. I haven't heard Adore yet - what are your thoughts on this album as a stand alone work, and in comparison with their other work?

I downloaded some Zwan last weekend, and rather liked it. I'll have to hear it a few more times before commenting further, though - as rock goes it largely got lost amongst the other rock/alt. rock tracks on the playlist. One or two songs really caught my attention, but fucked if I can remember which ones.

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Babby Police

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Burton Cummings did some solo stuff after The Guess Who, but my memory is hazy.
Yeah he did, but it sucked. I have his first solo record, which is pretty pedestrian except for the lounge/big band version of his erstwhile compadre Randy Bachman's You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. Last record of his I saw was called Dream Of A Child or some such shit. I read an interview with him one time and he said The Guess Who would basically ingest any drug they could get their hands on, so I guess that fucked his head.

Quote:
That book looks excellent.
It is. There's an entire section dealing with his unhealthy obsession with Lou Reed, a review of a Barry White concert that is just hysterical, plus loads of other stuff. He was a brilliant writer, even though a lot of his subject matter was completely absurd.

I might be listening to Tom Waits' Big Time in a couple of hours, since one of the old repertory cinemas is showing it at midnight for four bucks. I saw it when it first came out, which was 1988 I think, in Calgary, where I was working. I still laugh at that story about the soldier who impregnated the girl after a bullet passed through his testicle into her ovaries: "It's a form of intercourse but ... not ... for everyone." "She's fine, the baby's fine ... the soldier was a little pissed off ..."
Old 08-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- Somewhere over the Rainbow/It's a wonderful world.

You can't believe a guy that was so fat could play the ukelalee(sp?) so well.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:49 AM

Right now, I have Frank Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here playing. It's from his last tour, circa 1988. While many of the tracks are pieced together from various performances, there are NO overdubs anywhere on the CD. So what you hear is ALL live music, as it was performed on stage. And it just points up how incredibly tight this band was. There are several CD's out consisting of material from the same tour, my other favorite example being The Best Band you Never Heard In Your Life. All of them are overdub free. One thing that I find amusing about Make a jazz Noise Here is the intro. Zappa is addressing the audience, and says:

Quote:
Did everyone hear the great news today? Jimmy Swaggart under investigation! Maybe one day all of those cocksuckers will get caught!
He then goes on to quote Cal Thomas about how there were not multiple prostitutes involved.

Next up will be anther Zappa CD, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. II. Most of that series is compiled live stuff from all over the map. On most of the CD's, you'll find stuff from the early mothers right next to stuff from his solo career. All of it is sans overdubs as well. Vol II, however, is the complete Helsinki show from 1974.

If you can't tell, I'm a huge Zappa fan. I especially enjoy his live albums. They combine the passion and electricity of a live performance with a precision that many bands couldn't achieve with months in a studio. They're an amazing demonstration of musicianship.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:51 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti
I might be listening to Tom Waits' Big Time in a couple of hours, since one of the old repertory cinemas is showing it at midnight for four bucks. I saw it when it first came out, which was 1988 I think, in Calgary, where I was working. I still laugh at that story about the soldier who impregnated the girl after a bullet passed through his testicle into her ovaries: "It's a form of intercourse but ... not ... for everyone." "She's fine, the baby's fine ... the soldier was a little pissed off ..."
Hmmm. I was living in the Aussie rainforest in 1988, and I mean that quite literally, so missed a lot of what was going on in the outside world. But I shall make amends and look for the rental video, which I hope exists if just for that faster-than-a-speeding-bullet intercourse story. :D

I'm a huge Tom Waits fan, ever since I first heard 16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought-Six back when I was about 20 or so. The album that the track is on, Swordfishtrombone, is still one of my fave Tom Waits albums. His much later Mule Variations is also a favourite, and given that I own it in the modern digital compact disc format, rather than the old groovy vinyl slab format, I'm happy to say I still get to hear it. :)

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- Somewhere over the Rainbow/It's a wonderful world.

You can't believe a guy that was so fat could play the ukelalee(sp?) so well.
Sounds interesting. Where is he from?

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 04:55 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade-w
Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa is a genius, and I'm in full agreement as to the tighness of The Mothers.

I have a video of Zappa performing Cosmic Debris live on my pc. You wannit? :wink:

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 05:22 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Where is he from?
Hawaii. He's dead now. The whole family are Hawaiian music stars.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:23 AM
Love Bomb

Under duress, I'm listening to Blink 182's album. Hugo kindly made Zoe some CD's of her favourite music - Blink 182, Linkin Park, etc - and as she has volunteered to clean my car, the playlist for the afternoon is her call.

So Blink 182 it is. I'm not a fan, but after listening through the album I can see the appeal this band has. I'm sure if I was a young teen all over again, I'd probably like these guys as much as I liked Plastic Bertrand and Gary Numan way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

The song playing from Blink's album now is Easy Target, and has some rather pleasant overtones of The Cure. It ain't me, but it ain't bad.

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Hawaii. He's dead now. The whole family are Hawaiian music stars.
Ahhh, the Lu'au. I'd like a little more rum in my pineapple and coconut, please.
:D

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Love Bomb

Zoe and I now both agree that the best thing to listen to while folding laundry is Supergroove's Traction.. Supergroove was probably the first Kiwi thing I'd heard after returning to NZ mid-1994 after almost 10 years abroad. I remember lying in bed in an apartment my mum owned in Rotorua, watching a NZ music tv show while my new baby slept peacefully in a cot less than a metre from me. I had been back in NZ less than a month and was quite depressed at the turn my life had taken - I needed to be back in NZ, but didn't want to be. But, then, Supergroove burst into the room! Damn, I was impressed - perhaps NZ wasn't so dull after all!

Supergroove were like a supernova - they burned so bright, but didn't last. Che Fu has continued to impress me, though, even if his hard-rockin-funk-beat sound has become more mellow and polynesian/almosthiphop influenced since those earlier Supergroove glory days.

If you can, check 'em out.

Recommended. :)

~ Ice T ~
Old 08-15-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I have a video of Zappa performing Cosmic Debris live on my pc. You wannit? :wink:
/me drools!

Most definitely!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
I'm not going to talk about Sheryl Crow, as I'm not into her stuff at all.

Smashing Pumpkins have their moments, though. I haven't heard Adore yet - what are your thoughts on this album as a stand alone work, and in comparison with their other work?

I downloaded some Zwan last weekend, and rather liked it. I'll have to hear it a few more times before commenting further, though - as rock goes it largely got lost amongst the other rock/alt. rock tracks on the playlist. One or two songs really caught my attention, but fucked if I can remember which ones.
I'm still getting into Zwan and not sure.

Adore has been billed as a big disappointment to Pumpkins fans who liked the loud, aggressive stadium-rock style songs, but - while it has a couple of very quiet and sparse tracks (e.g. To Sheila) that don't really have precedents in their work - it shows the same kind of dynamic range: multiple layers of attacking distorted guitars and vocals, then piano with acoustic echo, sometimes in the same song (e.g. For Martha, which I think is about his mother's death).

In its own right I find it lacking something as a record to listen to as a whole - patchy perhaps - but there are three or four songs which I could listen to on repeat for a long time. Say Tear, Shame and For Martha. They're powerful, expressive, dig-inside-you songs - and maybe only so after a number of listenings.

Anyway, I've swapped it for MACHINA which is more of the older style with some curiously melodic stuff mixed in.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 08-17-2004, 12:52 AM
go fish

Bedroom CD/DVD player:
  • one of the Dead Can Dance CDs
  • Metallica Black music DVD
  • Moby Play

Living Room CD/DVD player:
  • one of the Loreena McKennet CDs
  • Dead Milkmen DEATH RIDES A PALE COW - The Ultimate Collection
  • Baaba Maal Nomad Soul

Car CD:
  • Brian Eno collection made by my sister
  • Norah Jones come away with me
  • Chris Isaak something

Truck CD:
  • No Doubt something or another
  • Madonna American Life

Work:
  • Annie Lennox Bare
  • Gloria Estefan mi tierra
  • Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke Duality
  • Joan Osborne Righteous Love
Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Joan Osborne can sure sing her some classics. Have you seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown, by any chance?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature