Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: Movie Watch

That's been the main criticism from friends who've seen it.
According to the facebook, for some stupid reason he only had 2 months to compose the whole film.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (12-17-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-17-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The Rogue One Star Wars Story is the Star Wars movie I've been waiting on since almost forever. I'm a little too high on all the goodness to be of much good in the way of responding. I'm just here all :ohgod: because it was so many times better than just about anything else in recent times regarding the Star Trax.

I didn't get the same trailers as Ensign Steve so I don't know for sure what she's all TOP SECRET about.

About the Cars sequel though: I will suggest that it's just Pixar getting back on forumla and finding to find a way to make you cry at some point in the movie. Yes, things will be different but I'd put dollars to donuts (mmm... donuts) that it won't be any "darker" than Up.

And finally, FINALLY we get the Darth Bad Mother Fudging Vader on the screen.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-19-2016), Janet (12-21-2016), JoeP (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Best Cars trailer EVER!

Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Solipsist

Rogue One Review: When 2016 Becomes a Star Wars Movie | WIRED

So I thought, why, because everyone
?

Apparently not, and apparently we've all been talking about it WRONG, because the accident of political events leading up to the timing of its release (not of its planning or writing or shooting) mean that:

Quote:
So here we are, unable to talk about this movie like any other movie.
[If Clinton had won] we’d be primarily discussing how much darker it is than the rest of the franchise.
But we are anyway.

Quote:
Bigots of all stripes, perhaps confusing Star Wars’ messaging with that of overtly humanist Star Trek, are boycotting the film for being too political.
Bigots will be bigots.

Quote:
Had Rogue One not found itself the avatar of All Things Now, we might even be able to talk about whether or not it’s, you know, good.
But we are.

:balls:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I didn't get the same trailers as Ensign Steve so I don't know for sure what she's all TOP SECRET about.
I got the Logan trailer with Hurt, p damn good, and Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 yes please. And some others which I don't remember because I didn't know there would be a test.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-19-2016), Ensign Steve (12-19-2016), Janet (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:06 PM
California Sober

Another one I got that I forgot to mention was Kong Skull Island, which looked good I guess. I never saw any of the other Kong movies though so :shrug:

The super top secret trailer starts with

and ends with a musical cue that made me say fuck yeah!
BrotherMan (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 PM
California Sober

Oh, and the things that the critics or especially NYT didn't like about Rogue One,

and

are exactly the things I did like about it, so whatever, critics. Your kind of thinking is exactly the reason movies fucking suck.
BrotherMan (12-20-2016), fragment (01-03-2017), Janet (12-21-2016), JoeP (12-19-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-19-2016), Zehava (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
About the Cars sequel though: I will suggest that it's just Pixar getting back on forumla and finding to find a way to make you cry at some point in the movie. Yes, things will be different but I'd put dollars to donuts (mmm... donuts) that it won't be any "darker" than Up.
Oh yeah, I don't even mean the movie, though, I mean the trailer alone was super traumatic! Probably even moreso, removed as it was from the context of the fillum. I mean, wtf?! What happened? Is he gonna be okay? :suckthumbscared:
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Oh, and the things that the critics or especially NYT didn't like about Rogue One,

[snip]

are exactly the things I did like about it, so whatever, critics. Your kind of thinking is exactly the reason movies fucking suck.

Really? So the critics are upset because someone finally made a Star Wars movie for adults? Now I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before going to see it.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-20-2016), Ensign Steve (12-19-2016), Janet (12-21-2016), JoeP (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:

Really? So the critics are upset because someone finally made a Star Wars movie for adults? Now I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before going to see it.
I stopped listening to critics when some one was reviewing a base model Ford F-150 and complaining that it was built and equipped like a pick-up truck and not like some luxury car. What did they expect it to be like?
Ensign Steve (12-19-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 PM
California Sober

Yeah I wouldn't normally pay attention but we grabbed lunch after and they looked it up and we were surprised the Metacritic score was so low. We drilled down and saw that NYT totally panned it. Don't care! :lalala:
The Lone Ranger (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Another one I got that I forgot to mention was Kong Skull Island, which looked good I guess. I never saw any of the other Kong movies though so :shrug:

The super top secret trailer starts with

and ends with a musical cue that made me say fuck yeah!
I didn't get either of those. All I got was Pirates, Cars, Spider-Man and another I done forgotted. My go to theatre doesn't play a lot of teasers before their movies and I'm totes okay with that. But now I'm gonna :freakout: until I know what this is.

Quote:

and

I wasn't initially expecting that to happen but when they got to that last planet I was p sure it was going to happen that way. Considering how sort of light and pulpy the source movies were, this was a welcome departure from that formula. I'm really surprised that's a critique a critic levels at it, honestly.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-20-2016), JoeP (12-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-20-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM
California Sober

Damn, I'm thinking maybe I should have done Rogue One in its own thrad, but when I posed I chose here cuz I hadn't actually watched it yet.

Anyway! I watched it a second time last night cuz me and bey went out to see it in imax 3D. There was some stuff I missed the first time that I noticed on a second viewing. The most important of which was, of course

Wash-bot doing Wash's trademark *flip-flip-flip* of the three switches over the windshield before taking off in the ship the first time.

BrotherMan (12-22-2016), Janet (12-21-2016), JoeP (12-21-2016), Sock Puppet (12-22-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

Quote:
Bigots of all stripes, perhaps confusing Star Wars’ messaging with that of overtly humanist Star Trek, are boycotting the film for being too political.
Bigots will be bigots.
Bigots gotta big was right there!
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

In happier news, according to Hollywood Reporter, Felicity Jones might actually have been properly paid for her role -- despite her lack of a Y chromosome.

Quote:
Though actresses typically get paid less than their male counterparts, at least one tentpole is bucking the trend.

Sources say Rogue One: A Star Wars Story protagonist Felicity Jones was, by far, the highest-paid castmember. Coming off her best actress nomination for The Theory of Everything, Jones was able to negotiate for a seven-figure upfront salary to play Rebel fighter Jyn Erso. Her other castmates, including Diego Luna and Ben Mendelsohn, took home significantly less, not cracking mid-six figures.

“She knows her worth,” said one knowledgeable source.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-22-2016), Ensign Steve (12-21-2016), Janet (12-21-2016), JoeP (12-21-2016), Sock Puppet (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I stopped listening to critics when some one was reviewing a base model Ford F-150 and complaining that it was built and equipped like a pick-up truck and not like some luxury car. What did they expect it to be like?
I once read an article by Issac Asimov talking about a college professor analyzing one of his stories. He was sitting in on a class where the professor was explaining the story and the motives for writing the story. They got to one of Issac's stories and the professor was ascribing all sorts of motives to the reason for writing the story, when Issac spoke up and said those were not the reasons for the story to be written. When questioned as to how he thought he knew anything about why the story was written, he admitted that he was the author. To which the professor said, "Just because you wrote it doesn't mean that you know anything about why it was written." The professor dismissed him out of hand, claiming that the professors analysis was better than the authors first hand account. Since then I have never given a critics comments much weight.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:50 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Wash-bot doing Wash's trademark *flip-flip-flip* of the three switches over the windshield before taking off in the ship the first time.
omg. NEEEEERRRRD

Quote:
In happier news, according to Hollywood Reporter, Felicity Jones might actually have been properly paid for her role -- despite her lack of a Y chromosome
I would hope she was paid more if only because, you know, she was the primary protagonist. But of course, hollywood is gonna holly.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-22-2016), Janet (12-22-2016), JoeP (12-22-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:07 PM
California Sober

How much wood would a Hollywood holly if a Hollywood would holly wood?
BrotherMan (12-23-2016), Janet (12-22-2016), Limoncello (01-14-2017)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I am embarrassed to say it took me about six months of living in SoCal and 24 years of life to ever consider the fact that Hollywood refers to a wood of holly trees.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (02-20-2018), Ensign Steve (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Just watched "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott.

Before that we watched "The Perfect Gift" with Christina Fougnie and Jefferson Moore.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I am embarrassed to say it took me about six months of living in SoCal and 24 years of life to ever consider the fact that Hollywood refers to a wood of holly trees.
Sorry, that's not quite right according to this article,

Hollywood - Wikipedia
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OH MY GOD.

Satantango to Receive a 4K Restoration and Re-Release From Arbelos | IndieWire

I really, desperately want to see this in a theater. If it doesn't play here, I would travel to somewhere it does. I'm really afraid of missing it and then finding out the day after it shows or something, so if anyone sees any updates about this, please let me know.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OH MY GOD. A whole week, starting THIS Friday! We can pick a day! (It'll have to be one where I can get someone to watch the dogs.)

https://secure.denverfilm.org/ticket...=31493&FID=105

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature