Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 PM
" I am human. I conider nothing that is human as alien to me." Terence

Default The Individual and its Courage

The virtue of the Individual is Courage. Courage is an inborn characteristic. The Individual either has it or doesn’t have it according to one’s nature and DNA. Courage is a Virtue that cannot be learned. It is part and parcel of the Individual’s inborn nervous system and native intelligence.

The Individual has no fear. One is willing to attempt anything which is life-affirming. One is not bound by convention but is eagerly willing to try something new and different.

Since the Individual has Courage one is willful and has a lot of nerve. The Individual is imperious. It is demanding and commanding. The Individual manifests its destiny. Hence, the Individual is a leader. One issues proclamations and manifestoes.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 AM

Default Re: The Individual and its Courage

In the previous post I stated that Courage cannot be learned. I would like to clarify this.

People who face danger on a regular basis, such as fire, police, first responders, and military, can be trained to minimalize risk, But when the moment of truth arrives, it all depends of whether the Individual has guts or not,

"Guts" is the popular word for having Courage. In scientific circles and intellectual circles it is called "Nerve". This is because it is a response of the sympathetic nervous system known as "fight or flight."
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 AM
Carlinist

I'm not sure courage is genetic. Do you have some source information for that?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:42 AM

The Jewish people as a rule are known for having a lot of nerve. The Irish were used as the scouts and first responders by the British in WW II. The Philippians were used as scouts by the Americans in WWII.

From Wikipedia

The fight-or-flight response (also called the fight, flight, freeze, or fawn response [in PTSD], hyperarousal, or the acute stress response) is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival.[1] It was first described by Walter Bradford Cannon.[a][2] His theory states that animals react to threats with a general discharge of the sympathetic nervous system, priming the animal for fighting or fleeing.[3] More specifically, the adrenal medulla produces a hormonal cascade that results in the secretion of catecholamines, especially norepinephrine and epinephrine.[4] The hormones estrogen, testosterone and cortisol, and the the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin, also affect how organisms react to stress.[5]

This response is recognized as the first stage of a general adaptation syndrome that regulates stress responses among vertebrates and other organisms.[6]
Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsavegan View Post
The Philippians were used as scouts by the Americans in WWII.
St. Paul wrote a letter to those folks. I don't remember whether or not he mentioned their courage.
Stephen Maturin (07-27-2015), Thumpalumpacus (07-28-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM

I just checked my post and the people I meant who were scouts for the Americans in WWII were the "Filipinos" and not the "Philippians." St Paul didn't know anything about the "Filipinos."
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Carlinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsavegan View Post
The Jewish people as a rule are known for having a lot of nerve. The Irish were used as the scouts and first responders by the British in WW II. The Philippians were used as scouts by the Americans in WWII.

From Wikipedia

The fight-or-flight response (also called the fight, flight, freeze, or fawn response [in PTSD], hyperarousal, or the acute stress response) is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival.[1] It was first described by Walter Bradford Cannon.[a][2] His theory states that animals react to threats with a general discharge of the sympathetic nervous system, priming the animal for fighting or fleeing.[3] More specifically, the adrenal medulla produces a hormonal cascade that results in the secretion of catecholamines, especially norepinephrine and epinephrine.[4] The hormones estrogen, testosterone and cortisol, and the the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin, also affect how organisms react to stress.[5]

This response is recognized as the first stage of a general adaptation syndrome that regulates stress responses among vertebrates and other organisms.[6]
Well, that doesn't support your point, but thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM

The Wikipedia article was meant to support my claim that Courage is an inborn Virtue and cannot be learned. It is dependent on the Individual's nervous system and can be transmitted by breeding to entire nationalities.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 AM
Carlinist

The link didn't support that premise, was my point.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 PM

OK, I won't argue with you. It is just a wild claim of mine. True or false that is my impression.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy