Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: A Polite Discussion of 9/11 Theories

Oddly enough, just a few months before 9/11/2001, I had read the book Why Buildings Fall Down: How Structures Fail. I will have to admit to being surprised that the buildings collapsed at all, but when I saw the first tower fell it immediately dawned on me why and why they fell as they did. The heat of the fire, although far short of the heat required to melt the steel in the floor support beams, was sufficient to weaken them.

In the book they go into a great deal about how in any structure that has fallen, from suspension bridges to the roof at the Kemper Arena, the failure can be tracked to the failure of one single element, whether it be a poorly maintained, thus rusted, bolt, or one single weak component and insufficient redundancy. Under normal loads, structures can stand the failure of a single or even a few structural components, but when they are stressed by fire, by heavy loads, etc. the failure becomes progressive, but usually in such a way that appears to be nearly a simultaneous collapse.

The way the WTC towers were constructed (inland wave and I work in a building built exactly the same way) with a steel shell and a conventional concrete and steel elevator/utility core with open floors, the floor beams are dependent on the shell and the core to remain intact. The planes did not strike just one floor on each building, they hit at least two, resulting much damage to the shell as well as the core support beams. The fire weakened the floor beams, causing them to sag, putting too much lateral strain on the the remaining shell and core support structure.

When the first floor collapsed, the weight above it was sufficient to collapse the next floor down and so forth all the way down. The reason the structure above the collapsing floors stayed basically intact on the way down was the structure above the collapsing floors was sufficient to support the weight of the floors above it. Gravity took it straight down.

Seldom does a building fall to one side, especially buildings built like the towers are. However, the WTC towers did not fall directly down, the fell sufficiently off center to damage a number of other buildings in the vicinity, including WTC-7. The fire didn't bring down WTC-7, the damage to from debris from WTC-1 and 2 did.

As for why the building in Spain did not fall down when it was on fire for so long, it wasn't a jet fuel fire for one thing, and for another it wasn't built the same way, it was a standard beam and girder construction building, much like the Empire State Building, which was hit by a WWII bomber with nearly full tanks of gasoline. It burned for quite a while but did not fall down? Why? It was overbuilt, with lots and lots of redundant beams, rivets and thickness of beams. Why did the WTC towers collapse when the Empire State Building did not? Ultimately because modern engineering methods which allowed buildings to be built with a minimum of redundancy to save construction costs.

A line from Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone seems apt: "It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear."
Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Ana Haneek Omak We Abook

now see...i was just watching something on tv either today or yesterday that said tc7 was brought down from fire started from falling debris...i honestly can't remember which show it was i heard that on, but it honestly stuck in my head as being odd. the show wasn't conspiracy based at all and the information was presented as being normal, which is why i found it odd. they also showed video of tc7 collapsing in the same pancake fashion...

michael :)
i see 11:11 - www.11-11.tv
Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Of course, they might have built the whole thing with explosive bolts holding the beams together to allow for easy demolition in the future, and a short in the wiring caused by the fire set them off.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Ana Haneek Omak We Abook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod
Of course, they might have built the whole thing with explosive bolts holding the beams together to allow for easy demolition in the future, and a short in the wiring caused by the fire set them off.
ah, those damn explosive bolts...when will they learn? :D
i see 11:11 - www.11-11.tv
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Compensating for something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus Lawyer
i can understand the floors above the impact point collapsing and spilling over, but you would think that there would be enough strength in the bottom floors to continue holding the weight of the top since that is what they had been doing since it was constructed.
One word: Inertia. I did some rough calculations once on another board to see just how much more force is applied after a one-floor-fall vice static, and the figure was pretty high. After all, you've got several thousand tons of concrete coming down at 3 meters a second or thereabouts.

NTM
Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
Oddly enough, just a few months before 9/11/2001, I had read the book Why Buildings Fall Down: How Structures Fail. I will have to admit to being surprised that the buildings collapsed at all, but when I saw the first tower fell it immediately dawned on me why and why they fell as they did. The heat of the fire, although far short of the heat required to melt the steel in the floor support beams, was sufficient to weaken them.

In the book they go into a great deal about how in any structure that has fallen, from suspension bridges to the roof at the Kemper Arena, the failure can be tracked to the failure of one single element, whether it be a poorly maintained, thus rusted, bolt, or one single weak component and insufficient redundancy. Under normal loads, structures can stand the failure of a single or even a few structural components, but when they are stressed by fire, by heavy loads, etc. the failure becomes progressive, but usually in such a way that appears to be nearly a simultaneous collapse.

The way the WTC towers were constructed (inland wave and I work in a building built exactly the same way) with a steel shell and a conventional concrete and steel elevator/utility core with open floors, the floor beams are dependent on the shell and the core to remain intact. The planes did not strike just one floor on each building, they hit at least two, resulting much damage to the shell as well as the core support beams. The fire weakened the floor beams, causing them to sag, putting too much lateral strain on the the remaining shell and core support structure.

When the first floor collapsed, the weight above it was sufficient to collapse the next floor down and so forth all the way down. The reason the structure above the collapsing floors stayed basically intact on the way down was the structure above the collapsing floors was sufficient to support the weight of the floors above it. Gravity took it straight down.

Seldom does a building fall to one side, especially buildings built like the towers are. However, the WTC towers did not fall directly down, the fell sufficiently off center to damage a number of other buildings in the vicinity, including WTC-7. The fire didn't bring down WTC-7, the damage to from debris from WTC-1 and 2 did.

As for why the building in Spain did not fall down when it was on fire for so long, it wasn't a jet fuel fire for one thing, and for another it wasn't built the same way, it was a standard beam and girder construction building, much like the Empire State Building, which was hit by a WWII bomber with nearly full tanks of gasoline. It burned for quite a while but did not fall down? Why? It was overbuilt, with lots and lots of redundant beams, rivets and thickness of beams. Why did the WTC towers collapse when the Empire State Building did not? Ultimately because modern engineering methods which allowed buildings to be built with a minimum of redundancy to save construction costs.

A line from Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone seems apt: "It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear."
Hi Dingfod, just curious.... Do you still feel the same way now as you did back then?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Anastasia Beaverhausen (05-12-2015), Angakuk (05-12-2015), Dingfod (05-10-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), LadyShea (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-10-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-11-2015), Stormlight (05-11-2015), Ymir's blood (05-11-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 09:48 PM

Hah!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:28 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I have not seen anything that would change my opinion.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 PM

I think this is one of very few forums where I could get away with such a carelessly flippant remark and not suffer at all as far as public censure goes. I apologize if anyone was offended. No offense was intended.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Quality Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
I think this is one of very few forums where I could get away with such a carelessly flippant remark and not suffer at all as far as public censure goes. I apologize if anyone was offended. No offense was intended.
I am terribly offended and I demand restitutions, sir! This is an outrage!
beyelzu (05-12-2015), BrotherMan (05-11-2015), chunksmediocrites (05-13-2015), Clutch Munny (05-11-2015), Dingfod (05-11-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), JoeP (05-11-2015), LadyShea (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Sock Puppet (05-11-2015), SR71 (05-11-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-11-2015), Ymir's blood (05-11-2015), Zehava (05-13-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:bipolar: :infinity: :crazy:
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Stormlight (05-11-2015), Ymir's blood (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemilus View Post
Quote:

Hi Dingfod, just curious.... Do you still feel the same way now as you did back then?
So, I'm guessing we're all curious, but... Why do you ask?
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
I think this is one of very few forums where I could get away with such a carelessly flippant remark and not suffer at all as far as public censure goes.
We keep that kind of thing in the private forums.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-11-2015), Clutch Munny (05-11-2015), Dingfod (05-11-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Pan Narrans (05-12-2015), SR71 (05-11-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015), wei yau (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
So, I'm guessing we're all curious, but... Why do you ask?
It may have something to do with the fact that Dingfod's post contained no missile pod references at all.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-11-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Or hat-shaped UFOs.
Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
So you haven't seen anything that would change your opinion. What about WTC7 and gravitational acceleration.... You don't see any problem there with the Law of Conservation of Energy?

What about the rest of you.... Do you all pretty much support the official explanation?

Last edited by Aemilus; 05-12-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

:cornucopia:
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-12-2015), BrotherMan (05-12-2015), Crumb (05-12-2015), Dingfod (05-12-2015), erimir (05-12-2015), JoeP (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-12-2015), Pan Narrans (05-12-2015), Sock Puppet (05-12-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-12-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015), Ymir's blood (05-12-2015), Zehava (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Solipsist

:popcornucopia:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (05-12-2015), maddog (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015), Pan Narrans (05-12-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015), Ymir's blood (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
You don't see any problem there with the Law of Conservation of Energy?
:chin: :nope:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Quote:
So you haven't seen anything that would change your opinion. What about WTC7 and gravitational acceleration.... You don't see any problem there with the Law of Conservation of Energy?

What about the rest of you.... Do you all pretty much support the official explanation?
Gravitational acceleration? Every collapse video I've seen shows the buildings accelerating as they collapsed. That the rate of acceleration may have been less than freefall is most likely due to a bunch of shit in the way, like all the lower floors and the amount of time (fractions of seconds) that it took to collapse each progressively.

WTC7 was in fact damaged severely by the fall of WTC1 and WTC2, and further weakened by unfought fire. No eyewitness reported hearing anything approaching explosions prior to that 40 story building collapse.

However, I'm not going to rehash what has been hashed and hacked and folded, bent, spindled and mutilated over and over again already. I have not seen anything to change my mind about the cause of the building collapse of any of the WTC buildings.

Last edited by Dingfod; 05-12-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-12-2015), But (05-12-2015), Crumb (05-12-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-13-2015), Stormlight (05-12-2015), The Lone Ranger (05-12-2015), Watser? (05-12-2015), Ymir's blood (05-12-2015), Zehava (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
Quote:
Sr71 is being a bore which I think means this situation is a national disaster for you.

You deserve that apoligy.
Stormlight (05-13-2015), Zehava (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
However, I'm not going to rehash what has been hashed and hacked and folded, bent, spindled and mutilated over and over again already. I do have not seen anything to change my mind about the cause of the building collapse of any of the WTC buildings.
That is because you haven't been looking hard enough or in the right places.
:headinsand:

Try looking here.
:butt:
BrotherMan (05-12-2015), Dingfod (05-15-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-13-2015), Stormlight (05-13-2015), Ymir's blood (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Coffin Creep

I found monkeys! :arsemonkeys:
Angakuk (05-13-2015), BrotherMan (05-12-2015), Crumb (05-13-2015), Dingfod (05-15-2015), Janet (05-12-2015), JoeP (05-12-2015), Kael (05-13-2015), LadyShea (05-13-2015), lisarea (05-12-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015), Pan Narrans (05-13-2015), Sock Puppet (05-13-2015), SR71 (05-16-2015), Stephen Maturin (05-13-2015), Stormlight (05-13-2015), Watser? (05-12-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
Quote:
Sr71 is being a bore which I think means this situation is a national disaster for you.

You deserve that apoligy.
Full and adequate remedies, reliefs and reparations shall be forthcoming to all injured parties.

These shall be disbursed in the form of photographs of flippantly careless rough tree seks.
BrotherMan (05-13-2015), lisarea (05-13-2015), Nullifidian (05-13-2015), Pan Narrans (05-13-2015), Sock Puppet (05-14-2015), Stormlight (05-13-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law