Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Beautiful Ohio's ugly license plates

Downtown Toledo can actually be lovely from certain angles, if you kind of squint and don't have very good peripheral vision.

I remember driving through there once and thinking, "Wow, what a lovely city with the pretty water and the...WAIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT CABRINI GREEN?"
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-07-2011), Janet (12-08-2011), livius drusus (12-07-2011), Nullifidian (12-07-2011), Stephen Maturin (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

You mean it wasn't afire?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

We can choose from like a bunch of plates because of this program where anyone can propose plates for fundraising (out of 50.00 the sponsoring group gets about 35 of it). The Turtle group I volunteer with just got a plate approved, and we are working on the required 1000 pre-orders for them to make the first run, then it will be available state wide at all DMVs

I've had 2 different wildlife ones so far, and will be pre-ordering a Turtle plate. Right now we just have the standard "Sweet Home Alabama" which is the second plate to feature a song title

Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM

As for Ohio, as it is in the Midwest, and I see no reason to ever go to the Midwest, I have no idea if it's beautiful or not.
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Alabama's default motto is Sweet Home Alabama? Was that something people said before there was the song of it, or does the state officially hate Neil Young?

The best plate motto is DC's Taxation without Representation.
Thanks, from:
erimir (12-09-2011), LadyShea (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM

No, that comes from the song. Stars Fell on Alabama, the previous plate, was also from a song.

Most previous plates said Heart of Dixie which is historically the state's nickname. I think it was a PR move to get away from that because it just sounds fucking redneck and like they are trying to hold on to their special place in the Confederacy.

"You are now entering Alabama The Beautiful" is what the signs at the state line say, for an example of this PR stuff.

ETA: Wiki says
Quote:
As of 2009[dubious – discuss], the State of Alabama has begun using the phrase "Sweet Home Alabama" as an official slogan on license plates for motor vehicles, with Governor Bob Riley noting that Lynyrd Skynyrd's anthem is the third most-played song referring to a specific destination.[10] (This is also the second Alabama license plate in a row to make reference to a popular song, with the state's previous plate having featured "Stars Fell On Alabama".)

Last edited by LadyShea; 12-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

That's really weird. It's a popular song, I'm sure, but it's also kind of confrontational to adopt as a license plate slogan as opposed to something more benign like "Show us the way to the next whiskey bar."
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-07-2011), LadyShea (12-07-2011), livius drusus (12-07-2011), Qingdai (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
puzzler

In the UK, our 'number plates' usually last the life of the car. Some rich people buy 'vanity plates' where the letters (and some numbers) spell out their name or something relevant to them - but this is unusual.

A vehicle registered now will get a plate with two letters, then two numbers and another 3 letters. In the past there have been different formats, but the basic idea and the information encoded was the same.

The first two letters tell you the region the vehicle was registered in - if you know the codes, which most people don't.

The two numbers are a year code - knowing the code you can tell when the vehicle was first licensed, to within 6 months.

The final three letters are just used sequentially for that period in that area. Certain groups of letters such as GOD, FUK, TIT, COK and so on are skipped.

There are often small adverts for the type of car, or the car dealer who sold it, on the plates. I don't know if you're allowed to put a slogan or small picture on the plates - certainly I don't remember seeing any - other than the aforementioned adverts. :shrug:

For our motoring taxes, we have to display a little circular piece of paper inside the front windscreen. The cost of these is based on the type of car and how much it pollutes. The cost is usually $200 to $500 or more, per year.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Fishy mokey

They have that regional identifier in Germany too, I can usually tell where a German car comes from. Most of the ones we see here have number plates starting with Kle (Kleve, which is just across the border). They keep the same number their whole lives, when they buy a new car the number plate has to be changed to the buyer's personal number.

Over here we have boring yellow plates with black letters and numbers. No regional identifier or personalized plates. Germans have white plates with black letters and Belgians have white with red letters, so both of them stick out.
ceptimus (12-09-2011), LadyShea (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Downtown Toledo can actually be lovely from certain angles, if you kind of squint and don't have very good peripheral vision.
That is grossly injurious. I've been to downtown Toledo hundreds of times. Your suggestion of appearance deficits, though objectively true, carries a high potential for self-esteem loss and emotional distress, both of which are very very bad and wrong.

Besides, the prominent scent of hobo vomit can be quite fetching, especially on those 90+ degree, 90+ percent humidity days for which Northwest Ohio summers are justifiably renowned.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I have the Great Lakes Splendor plate, myself, although this is not mine.

This is the current one. The motto is Spectacular Peninsula.

"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Man, you guys could totally win your big "mitten fight" by making your slogan be "MOST MITTENEY."

This is like that time that like Utah and Wyoming were all like, "Hey, we look like an index card!" and Colorado had to fight them because they look like some brokeassed index cards, and not nice regular new ones.
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-08-2011), Demimonde (12-08-2011), Dingfod (12-10-2011), Kael (12-10-2011), Qingdai (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
You mean it wasn't afire?
The river (the Cuyahoga) caught fire in my hometown, Cleveland, NOT Toledo, I'll have you know!

Anywho,

Here's a North Carolina license plate, cuz why the fuck not:

Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

On that second Michigan plate. I am guessing that the tag does not belong in that corner. Right?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Man, you guys could totally win your big "mitten fight" by making your slogan be "MOST MITTENEY."

This is like that time that like Utah and Wyoming were all like, "Hey, we look like an index card!" and Colorado had to fight them because they look like some brokeassed index cards, and not nice regular new ones.
Actually, among my favorite suggested Michigan mottoes is, "The one that looks like a hand, stupid." My actually favorite is, "We kicked Ohio's ass once and we'll do it again if they look at us funny." Interesting fact, when we went to war with Ohio because we didn't like they way Congress drew the borders, Congress took the UP from Wisconsin and gave it to us. This makes Wisconsin officially Michigan's bitch, no matter how many mittens they try to claim.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-09-2011), Demimonde (12-09-2011), Kael (12-10-2011), lisarea (12-09-2011), Sock Puppet (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
On that second Michigan plate. I am guessing that the tag does not belong in that corner. Right?
Yeah, it belongs in the raised bit on the top corner. Whoever owns that plate is clearly an idiot.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I always liked the OKLAHOMA IS OK license plates.

Also seen prominently in my part of the state:

And, do we ever have some selection of specialty plates:

Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
I'm still dealing with New Hampshire's motto, which alarms me...that "Live Free Or Die" thing. Do they execute ALL convicted criminals?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Oklahoma, America's horse. LOL

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law