Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
NPC

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

I don't understand the sentiments on this thread at all. Have you guys seen what normal tv is like, for real? How is this worse than any other action or adventure crap out there? How is it even as bad?

I find it fun and a good way to spend an hour and and shall continue to watch, despite what you h8ers think and say.
Dingfod (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Yabbut, that's why I don't watch "normal" TV. Most TV is awful . SHIELD, IMO, is sort of on the bubble between watchable and unwatchable. It's not egregiously bad, but it's also nothing that really excites me. I'm giving it some slack and sticking with it because of the Marvel brand and because Whedon but, so far, it's pretty much a by the numbers case of the week show that happens to be set in the Marvel Filmverse.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
NPC

Most TV is awful, yes. This is not. It's too late, the h8 has soured me to you all. :grumpy:
Crumb (10-24-2013), Dingfod (10-25-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), JoeP (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

My expectation was for something signatorially Whedon. Something transformative of culture and-or the genre like Buffy. What I feel I'm getting, aside from tidbits of dialog or spare hints at a larger arc, seems a lot more generic.

I also realize I wanted a great big mash of several things that may or may not play nicely together. The main thing I was hoping for was a Marvel-esque version of Mission: Impossible. A team of highly trained, very capable people who got shit done with exquisite planning, attention to detail and a skoshe of luck should something not go according to plan - plus the heady feeling of SHIELD, FUCK YEAH of the team driving away at the end with everyone else asking wtf just happen. I was also hoping for a smattering of Fringe/X-Files plot and world building And plus, now with the Swiss-Army Coulson (or so everyone thinks) a pinch of MacGuyveriness wouldn't have been out of place.

So, in addition to not getting what I thought I was - which I can be okay with - I feel we're getting short sheeted with something that has the Marvel name on it but really could be about any spy team that is hastily assembled from inferior parts which somehow magically turn out to be the best assembled (no pun) team.

To note: I don't h8terade. I'm just critical because I know for fact Whedon is more capable but it looks like something(s) or someone(s) has monkey-wrenched it.

To whit, this week: I'm just glad some of the plottiness has been forwarded at least a little bit.

Thanks, from:
Adam (10-24-2013), Dingfod (10-25-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), The Man (10-24-2013), wei yau (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
So, in addition to not getting what I thought I was - which I can be okay with - I feel we're getting short sheeted with something that has the Marvel name on it but really could be about any spy team that is hastily assembled from inferior parts which somehow magically turn out to be the best assembled (no pun) team.
That's probably the thing that bugs me the most. I had next to no expectations for the show, other than it would be set in the Marvel Filmverse, and it's not really doing anything cool with the setting. I do feel like they're building towards things that might be interesting (in particular, I really hope they do something with the ideas introduced in the first episode, and reinforced this week, about the role of secrecy and anti-democracy in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s mission, and what that means in a world full of superpowers), but so far you're right; it's just a generic action adventure show with occasional easter eggs to remind us where we are.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-24-2013), Dingfod (10-25-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), wei yau (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
(in particular, I really hope they do something with the ideas introduced in the first episode, and reinforced this week, about the role of secrecy and anti-democracy in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s mission, and what that means in a world full of superpowers)
If this show were on FOX or WB or SciFi we might get a better helping of this. But because it's on Disney's ABC we're probably getting the watered down version of it. As the show progresses, solidifies an audience this aspect of the story could be what helps it become the defining, culture impacting show I hope it can be.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Tellifying

Bort and Adam are right.

It's not so much that this show is terrible, but it's not good, either. It is very by-the-numbers. The Marvel Universe is rich with content that should be explored and the potential is being wasted.

That being said, I finally watched the last two episodes and thought that they were improvements. We are seeing the introduction of an anti-SHIELD and maybe more than one.

The thing I noticed most was that the actors seem to be settling into their characters. I actually found Ward to be tolerable and thought they also had a good look for him, with his black suit. Best Quality May also continues to improve, though her stoicism is getting kinda tiresome.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Oh, a random detail I read on the internets that may be important, but is probably just an easter egg:

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-24-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), The Man (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
Adam (10-24-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), The Man (10-24-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM
Tellifying

Old 10-25-2013, 04:46 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Alright. I wasn't aware of all the differences between 616 and 1610.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Strike this show down with all of your nerd-rage and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-25-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), Miisa (10-25-2013), Zehava (10-25-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Cmdr Riker is One of Us

Quote:
Thor: The Dark World comes out in the United States on November 8th. And on November 19th, after everyone’s had a chance to see it (maybe a few times), Agents of SHIELD will pick up where the film left off for its very first crossover episode.

Here’s the official description of the episode, titled “The Well” (don’t worry, nothing looks spoiler-y):

Quote:
“In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces–one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team.”
No characters or actors from the Thor movies will make an appearance in the episode, but there will still be several guest stars, among them Peter MacNicol (Renfield!), Erin Way (hey there, Kat from Alphas!), and Michael Graziadei (American Horror Story: Murder House’s Travis).

And, as mentioned, the episode will be directed by Jonathan Frakes, who’ll get to do the Riker lean all over the set if he so chooses.
Things:

1) I think Riker is a p cool director. He films things and doesn't afraid.

2) We'll see how well Disney/ABC allows the integration between media.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-04-2013), Ensign Steve (11-15-2013), Janet (11-05-2013), Miisa (11-04-2013), Sock Puppet (11-04-2013), wei yau (11-04-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:24 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am officially co-opting my own thrad to convert it into the catch all Marvel [Comics, Cinematic Universe, Cartoon and Combined Universes] thrad. On this inaugural post of an historic occasion, I have some news:

Disney|Marvel team up with Netflix

Quote:
Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.
Dear Mr. Howard, this is how you build a universe via multiple media models. I know these heroe p much by name and sight only. I like this.

In adjoining Marvel Comics news:

Ms. Marvel Returns

Quote:
In February, Kamala Khan will be taking on the mantle of Ms. Marvel in her very own title written by G. Willow Wilson, writer and Islamic convert. Kamala, like lots of people I know (or know through Tumblr), is a big fan of Carol Danvers, and when she discovers that she has shape-shifting powers she borrows the first superhero name of her favorite superhero. “Captain Marvel represents an ideal that Kamala pines for,” Wilson told the New York Times. “She’s strong, beautiful and doesn’t have any of the baggage of being Pakistani and ‘different.’ ”
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-07-2013), chunksmediocrites (11-21-2013), Janet (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

So far this week everbody seems to have a generally positive vibe coming off of Disney's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD episode "FZZT." That's mostly due to Agent Woodbored and Skye not being front and center to the happenings. Oh, they're both still in it so don't get your hopes too high.

The A plot involves happenings with Fitz and Simmons, mostly Simmons. The B plot is about the awakening of the Coulson which also adds to the mounting evidence of me being wrong the prediction I made about him.

BELOW HERE THERE BE SPOILERS THAT ARE NOT HIDDEN. JUST, YOU KNOW, SO YOU'RE AWARE AND CAN STOP READING IF YOU WANT.

Between the half and three-quarter point of the episode I was ready to be very angry and ragequit watching the show at all. Simmons, you see, contracted some techno-Chitauri virus of some sort and was p much going to die a horrible explody death and likely take all of the Disney's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD with her. I was mostly sad-angry about Simmons being the wonder twin who was going to be died.

And then I got annoyed by something else. With all of the wonderful emoting of the actors and nice character arcing between Fitz and Simmons I thought this was going to be a great episode. Oh, then Fitz jacked up his courage meter and was about to stomp on his fears and then jump out of 616 to save Simmons from herself, Woodbored says Nah, brah, I got this and then there's horrible in-studio squinting against the wind acting.

Which just leaves the continuing reveal(s) of what's going on with Coulson. Starting way back from when he admits to feeling rusty, not being able to reflexively reload his sidearm and various people from his past who are wondering what up, he's realizing that maybe there is something going on. This week he runs a full physical on himself but it turns up nothing*. *By which I mean everything is normal, aka within acceptable parameters. Cavalry gives him a little pep talk at the end. Which leaves me wondering what she might suspect and if she's classified at a sufficient level to know things about Coulson that Coulson doesn't.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-10-2013), Janet (11-12-2013), wei yau (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
NPC

So you didn't like it?

I was at first all like "It's Fred all over again" :ohno: But then it changed a bit and I found it quite nice. Not that the whole Fred thing wasn't good, I just didn't want that particular heartache again at this point in my life.

Didn't you wonder though what lab actually did the bloodwork /other tests? A SHIELD lab? Doctor exBook, perhaps? Hmmm?
BrotherMan (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm still stumbling over my expectations versus what we're actually getting. There was a lot more good acting from both the main cast and the guest victims. I did enjoy the episode overall. After this episode, though, I'm reticent to start really liking any of the characters because, you know, Joss gonna Joss somebody.

I didn't give the blood tests a second thought, though. Mostly because we never really know where 616 is. I might assume (likely mistake) that it's done right there on the plane. If Coulson was skeptical about the results or didn't trust whatever off-plane SHIELD facility did the work he could trust Simmons because he could look over her shoulder. Depending on whatever we're speculating Coulson really is (LMD or clone), I'd also guess that any bloodwork could appear human-normal. I'm still holding out hope that it's some other macguffin Whedon has up his sleeve.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Tellifying

I don't think Simmons did the bloodwork, because that is something that I think would've been explicitly stated. In fact, because it was so throwaway, I'm pretty sure the bloodwork was done by a lab that was not SHIELD, but was really totally SHIELD.

Like you, I found the episode to be pretty much okay, though I did think Simmons was a goner. I mean, it's Whedon, right?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I think the only main cast member to get dead in the first season of a Whedon show was Doyle on Angel. But there were real world reasons for that, not dramatic ones. Six episodes in would have been extreme. But still, you feel it could happen because it is Joss.

You could very well be right about the blood tests. But I'm not going to over think it just yet. Not until I have good reason to start down the WIFOM path.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Actually, from what I have read I believe that most of the rumors about Glenn Quinn leaving the show because of a lack of professionalism are just rumors. Most of them surfaced only after his death in 2002 from drug overdose and have more to do with fans making guesses as to why he left. From what I understand he was on good terms with cast and crew and conducted himself as a professional. I have never seen a single account of him behaving badly, with any kind of particulars or detail, or with any kind of corroboration from someone who would know first hand.

Whedon is on the record that starting with Buffy he wanted to have someone presented as the main cast die in the first couple episodes to keep the audience on their toes. The character Jesse was introduced as one of the main high school crew only to die in the second episode. Whedon wanted to have him in the title sequence as a major member of the cast for those episodes, but expenses kept him from doing it. He relates that in the audio commentary for the first season DVD.

I think he wanted to do something similar in Angel with Doyle's character. I think the main purpose for Doyle's existence was as a vehicle for Cordelia to get the visions and have a real place on the show other than official screamer. Creating some silly thing that would give her the powers in the first episode would have been hokey. The Doyle storyline gave it more emotional impact and cemented Whedon's reputation as a cast killing director with whom no character is safe.
BrotherMan (11-07-2013), chunksmediocrites (11-21-2013), fragment (11-17-2013), Janet (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Oh did I miss the show again? *reads the spoilers* Nope, I guess not.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 AM

We finally caught up on the latest episode. Bort is very smart, and I agree with everything he says. This was probably the best episode yet, largely because Whitebored and Hacktichick weren't front and center. This show is slowly growing on me.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-10-2013), Janet (11-12-2013), wei yau (11-10-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I haven't been keeping up with the TV Club recaps on it, but I read this weeks and I think they've nailed the problems with it.

Quote:
outside of Coulson, if they all blew up in an accident and got replaced next week, I could deal. That’s not a good place for a show to be seven episodes in.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (11-15-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Tellifying

I don't know, guys. I don't know how much longer I can watch entire episodes just for the last 60 seconds of "Just what is up with Coulson?"

And, of course, now it's made worse by mixing that up with "Maybe this will make you care about Skye."
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Oh, and I'm calling it now. If this show goes several seasons, Fitz is getting a Wesley character arc.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature