Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 11-28-2018, 07:13 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Default Re: Vive la Resistance! aka non-Trump US politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
... the ethical judgement of the US can be bought if the price is high enough.

The trouble is that that is true whether or not you abhor it. It doesn't discredit Jon Miller's analysis in any way.

Trump is an amoral lieing sack of shit.

That is exactly the kind of obviously partisan rhetoric that I think I need to avoid. But thanks for trying. :thankee:
Apart from the epithet, it seems objective to me and not really partisan. There's no way to sugar coat it, the man is a liar. Lie, deny, sidestep and cloud the issue is what he does on a regular and ongoing basis, by any dispassionate analysis of his own words.

As for Miller, there isn't any merit to any of it, save perhaps whether or not AQ is making hay of it or whether he supports the Muslim Brotherhood or not. On those points I have no idea, but suppose we stipulate they're true, for the sake of argument. Would that justify his murder, or Trump's lack of concern over the murder?

No one suggests making war, at least so far as I'm aware. There is plenty we could do short of war to demonstrate our disapproval. No one cares about the man's murder? Lots of people care, there is a lot to disapprove of when journalists are murdered because they criticize governments. I don't think that should be a partisan issue, unless the conservatives are making it one by buying into the "Media is the enemy of the people, fake news" line the president is pushing.
But (11-28-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-29-2018), The Man (11-28-2018), Zehava (11-28-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 AM

Watching Scott Walker, Governor un-elect of Wisconsin, get shown the exit is an especially sweet morsel from November. I read somewhere, and I think you can verify this if you want, is that 54% of voters chose democrats for the state house, but republicans held on to 63% of the seats because of gerrymander. The republicans see the writing on the wall, so they're trying to reassign powers from the governor to the legislature. This has spawned a demonstration.

Wisconsin Republicans may have gone too far as their brazen move to nullify the midterm vote sparks massive backlash | Alternet

Quote:
Among the things the bills would do are restrict Evers' power to allocate public funds, shift the authority to let Kaul terminate a state lawsuit from Evers to the legislature (thus vetoing his campaign promise to end Wisconsin's involvement in the Affordable Care Act lawsuit), give the legislature authority to defend cases challenging the constitutionality of their own bills (so they can fight to preserve their own gerrymandering scheme), cut back early voting, and move the date of the Democratic presidential primary so that it is held on a different day from the state Supreme Court election (which the GOP hopes will depress turnout and let them keep their judicial majority).
Crumb (12-04-2018), JoeP (12-04-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-04-2018), Stephen Maturin (12-04-2018), The Man (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Fun thing with chaos agents.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-04-2018), The Man (12-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:56 AM

This seems like a good article on the life story of trickle down and how republicans need to legislate tax breaks when in power and then scream about debt when out. It had a tidbit I was unaware of, this Jude Wanniski guy who hatched the undeniably brilliant, if exceptionally devious scheme. Most of the rest is old news and materially correct, it matches my understanding of the situation.
Unfortunately, it's much too long to hold most peoples interest for long, so they'll sail along believing that democrats spend too much and republicans are fiscally responsible when the opposite is demonstrably true.

Somebody needs to distill this down into a simple chart somehow.

Quote:
Will It Work Again?

The Republicans got what they wanted from Wanniski’s work. They held power for nearly 40 years, skimmed trillions of dollars out of the economy, gutted organized labor, and packed the Supreme Court and the entire federal court system.

Best of all, though, for the Two Santa Claus GOP, the years since 1981 have left such a massive national debt that some misguided “conservative” Democrats will again be clamoring to shoot Santa with cuts to education, infrastructure, health care, and other social programs.

The Two Santa Claus theory isn’t dead, and starting any day now we’ll see the Republicans crank up their debt hysteria. It’s as predictable as the seasons.

Hopefully, though, this time Democrats will point out the massive fraud perpetrated by the GOP since 1981, and begin talking about Two Santa Clauses in the media.

If they don’t, and enough “Third Way” and “New Dem” Democrats get on board with the “deficit hawks” to drag down the New Deal progressives, get ready for the second Trump term.
But (01-04-2019), chunksmediocrites (01-17-2019), Crumb (01-03-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-03-2019), The Man (01-03-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

We're going to need more popcorn.

Pelosi to Trump: ‘Hawaii is part of the United States of America’

Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-04-2019), The Man (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

And about that AOC dancing thing:

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (01-04-2019), The Man (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

I'll stop for now.

Thanks, from:
SR71 (01-05-2019), The Man (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
The Man (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Thread from Leverage writer John Rogers:

Not going to attempt to summarise, as I can’t possibly do his words justice in fewer words than he did; just go read it. It’s not that long, and it’s worth it. I will, however, excerpt a particularly choice sentence.

Quote:
I think this one of the first times in the country’s short (and it is *short*) history we’ve had a serious cultural shift without a war in the middle of it.
Now go read it.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-07-2019), JoeP (01-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-06-2019), SR71 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:30 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Now go read it.
So I read it, and posted it in a couple places and what do you know, boomers out of the woodwork to say Not All Boomers.

And so I had a thought that maybe when someone needs to jump up and say "Not All X" it might be that they weren't the target audience.

#randommusing

#notbringitupinthoseplacesbecauseican'tbearsedtosp aroverit

#stillblamingboomersfordisco

Thanks, from:
The Man (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:04 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Karaoke time!

WHO LET THE BOTS OUT?

Thanks, from:
The Man (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Hits so many thrads I'll put it here.

Thanks, from:
But (01-07-2019), JoeP (01-06-2019), lisarea (01-06-2019), Sock Puppet (01-07-2019), Stephen Maturin (01-06-2019), The Man (01-06-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thousands of people have signed a petition to name the street in front of Trump Tower after Obama | indy100

Thanks, from:
But (01-09-2019), Crumb (01-08-2019), lisarea (01-08-2019), SR71 (01-11-2019), The Man (01-08-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Texas county GOP set to vote this week to remove leader because he is Muslim | TheHill
SR71 (01-11-2019), The Man (01-11-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Solipsist

Joe Liebermann hopes that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez isn't the future of the Democratic party.

AOC has other opinions ...

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
But (01-15-2019), ChuckF (01-15-2019), Ensign Steve (01-14-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-14-2019), SR71 (01-14-2019), The Man (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Every now and again, something reminds me of Joe Lieberman, and I can never remember his name. I have had to ask Matlock a couple of times, "Who is that stupid little yellow Democrat everyone hates?"
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-15-2019), BrotherMan (01-14-2019), But (01-14-2019), ChuckF (01-15-2019), chunksmediocrites (01-15-2019), Ensign Steve (01-14-2019), JoeP (01-14-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-14-2019), Sock Puppet (01-14-2019), SR71 (01-14-2019), The Man (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
little yellow Democrat
:inscrutable:
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-15-2019), JoeP (01-14-2019), SR71 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Every now and again, something reminds me of Joe Lieberman, and I can never remember his name. I have had to ask Matlock a couple of times, "Who is that stupid little yellow Democrat everyone hates?"
He is, in fact, a former Democrat. It is important to remember that he ran in, I believe it was, 2006 as an independent after Ned Lamont won the primary. It is also important to remember that he is the reason Obamacare didn't have a public option, despite having previously pledged not to vote against one.

In short, what I'm saying is fuck Joe Lieberman. His opinion of the Democratic Party's direction is about as relevant as Individual-1's.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-15-2019), ChuckF (01-15-2019), chunksmediocrites (01-15-2019), JoeP (01-15-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-15-2019), Sock Puppet (01-15-2019), SR71 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Ugh, that guy. I have this weird thing with Joe Lieberman where my reptile brain has classified him as dead but my thinking brain knows that he is not, so that every time I see him mentioned anywhere (which is not very often nowadays) the lizard brain goes "I thought he was dead" and regular brain goes "shut the fuck up lizard brain you did not think that."

I think it is because several years ago I noted that Jim Jeffords died and the Lieberman synapses got all confused.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-15-2019), JoeP (01-15-2019), Qingdai (01-15-2019), Sock Puppet (01-15-2019), SR71 (01-15-2019), The Man (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Solipsist

Wait, you're saying Joe Lieberman is a zombie lizard brain?

*rereads*

Well, you're not denying it.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-15-2019), SR71 (01-15-2019), The Man (01-15-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Beto O'Rourke? Did anyone get the substance of his platform? Whenever the news cut to him campaigning it always just sounded like a stream of happy talk to me.
DailyDot: Where does Beto O’Rourke stand on policy?

Capital&Main: Beto vs. Democrats: Texas Lawmaker Frequently Voted to Help Trump and GOP
The big eye opener in this article for me was the regular hiring "surges" for Customs and Border Protection, where they dropped the polygraph requirements for applicants:

Quote:
Polygraph tests have been part of CBP’s efforts to confront the corruption and misconduct that have plagued the agency in recent years. A 2012 Government Accountability Office report found that between 2005 and 2012, “144 current or former CBP employees were arrested or indicted for corruption-related activities.” The report noted that CBP uses polygraph tests as part of employment background checks “to mitigate the risk of employee corruption and misconduct” — and it recommended that the agency consider expanding the tests. The report specifically noted that CBP internal affairs officials were expressing “concerns about the suitability of the officers and agents hired during [employment] surges because most of these officers and agents did not take a polygraph examination.”

In April of 2017, the Trump administration issued a memo pushing for authority to waive the polygraph tests in order to expedite the hiring of thousands of new CBP agents. Critics immediately raised red flags — the American Immigration Lawyers Association said it was a plan “to water down hiring standards.” Tom Jawetz, the Center for American Progress’ Vice President for Immigration, told Univision that “many agents brought on beforehand who had not gone through a polygraph were cooperating with cartels and subject to corruption.” James Tomsheck, the CBP’s former head of internal affairs, called the idea of waivers “preposterous” in light of what the polygraph tests had been finding.

Compared to other law-enforcement agencies, “a larger number of people failed the exam, but the admissions of the applicants who failed the exam were hair-raising,” Tomsheck told The Nation. “The most shocking, frankly terrifying, were the many applicants who admitted that they were infiltrators. That they actually worked for a drug-trafficking organization and had for some period of time. They had been directed to apply for the job solely for the purpose of feeding information back to the criminal organization they worked with.”

Two days after the Trump administration’s memo, Republicans introduced legislation to allow the polygraph tests to be waived.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Fun thing with chaos agents.

I think the Hoarse Whisperer (whose own identity and work history is secret) has a point in that

a.) the tweet of David Sirota's above is certainly biased in that its headline is overblown when compared to the linked findings; it would be more accurate to say that Beto O'Rourke had the second highest donations from individuals who work in the oil and gas industries, running in the (oil) State of Texas in a hotly contested race, and

b.) Sirota personally identifies with left and progressive politics, and worked for Bernie Sanders... but in 2001; he didn't work on Bernie Sander's last presidential campaign; de facto surrogate since 2015 is a dismissive stretch.

I look forward to learning the answer to the question: what will become of the Democratic Party? While you may see this as the work of "chaos agents,"
I genuinely want the Democratic Party to figure out which factions are going to hold power into the next election. I think the Party Faithful and the Insurgent Left are battling each other first for the Youth vote, followed by the Black, Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQIA factions.
Insurgent Left want to obviously push the party left, and promote a leftist agenda.
Party Faithful want to return to the status quo of Clinton-Obama. They often frame themselves as political realists and reasonable centrists.

The problem I find is that the "realest" position is 100% status quo, as it requires the least effort, retraining, testing, or change- it is realistic as fuck. Since Bill Clinton, the orthodoxy of the Democratic Party Presidential Playbook is Triangulation, which has steadily moved the Democratic party rightward, as they attempt to co-opt and negate issues from the Right. That is how the Democratic strategists have been thinking and trained for decades- it is the status quo.

Leftists see this internal struggle as necessary; with a 12-year ecological cliff to actually address the human species mostly wiping out, along with a ton of other species- neoliberal technocrats will not turn the ship; instead they'll "realist" themselves along the path of least resistance- beholden to corporate donors and global capital until forced away from it by pressure from the left.

Faithfuls see this internal battle as destructive and damaging at a time when they want unity- a fractured party is weakened at a time when a destructive Republican administration could be pushed out of office through the vote. In their view, Leftists are too fringe and disorganized and will lose votes through radical policies.

Anyway... I'm obviously in the Leftist camp. My hope is that it is resolved early, and that it gets more people engaged.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I think the dichotomy of a centrist "party faithful" and an "insurgent left" is a bit of an oversimplification.

One of the issues that is causing such resistance to the "insurgency" is the feeling that everyone who hasn't been right (that is, left) since the 90s or something needs to be purged. So you can either be an outsider hater of the establishment, or you are a centrist? But if that's your path, you won't be able to assemble a majority coalition in the party - you saw the result in Bernie vs. Hillary of relying too heavily on independents who don't like the party and not really trying to win over those who do like it.

There has to be some balance between moving incumbent party members left and simply tossing them out. If you'll only consider replacing all of them, and quickly, a victory... you'll be disappointed.

(Of course, candidates in districts that can clearly be more to the left or don't side with us on critical priorities should be tossed. Henry Cuellar is in a safe Dem district, but votes with Trump the majority of the time. There's no point in trying to move him left other than by trying to remove him.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunksmediocrites View Post
b.) Sirota personally identifies with left and progressive politics, and worked for Bernie Sanders... but in 2001; he didn't work on Bernie Sander's last presidential campaign; de facto surrogate since 2015 is a dismissive stretch.
I mean, he's clearly a Sanders partisan. I don't need Hoarse Whisperer to tell me that.
Quote:
Since Bill Clinton, the orthodoxy of the Democratic Party Presidential Playbook is Triangulation, which has steadily moved the Democratic party rightward, as they attempt to co-opt and negate issues from the Right. That is how the Democratic strategists have been thinking and trained for decades- it is the status quo.
The reception to AOC proposing a 70% tax on income over $10 million* hasn't really involved any important Democrats criticizing her, has it? Medicare for All has momentum, including picking up support among "establishment" Democrats. They're not caving on the wall, when there used to be Democrats who ran on "securing the border."

The Democratic Party hasn't been moving right since 2006, at the latest. Second-term Obama was left of first-term Obama, Hillary 2016's platform was left of Obama 2008/2012 platform, Democrats in 2018 are to the left of Democrats in 2006, easily.

I don't really understand how it's supposed to have been a steady march rightward. From Ford to Clinton, sure. But continuing to today? Reagan-era Democrats in the House cut the top income tax rate from 70% to 28%. Maybe you think it's plausible, but the idea of Pelosi agreeing to cut the top tax rate to 28% is laughable.

*tbh the bracket should start lower than that. More like $1 million probably.
Thanks, from:
The Man (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Solipsist

For those of us somewhat distant from things, what is Beto looking at? If the Bernistas are knocking him, presumably there's a campaign brewing?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I dunno what Beto is going to do. I don't think he should run for president. He should run for Senate against John Cornyn. If Trump goes down with a significantly worse margin than 2016, Texas is in play, and Beto did do notably well. It's possible there are other Texans who could win, I suppose. One of the Castro brothers, maybe? But Julian is more interested in the presidency as well.

Stacey Abrams ought to be getting as much buzz as Beto, given how well she did in Georgia and a similarly exciting campaign, and similar level of government experience, etc. But she's not, for "some reason". But she also seems more likely to be mulling a Senate bid herself, because that really makes more sense than jumping from failed senate/gubernatorial candidate to president.

Last edited by erimir; 01-18-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-18-2019), Ensign Steve (01-18-2019), JoeP (01-18-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-18-2019), SR71 (01-19-2019), The Man (01-19-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law