Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 11-08-2015, 08:11 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Getting good ideas from irredeemable assholes, or should I try meditation?

Ressurecting a dead thread here for an update.

After getting an MBCT book from the library, I purchased it. I actually practiced it for quite a while when Mrs. Reasons moved out to Seattle, and it was just me and the kids riding out the school year. It did help - At the very least, I was able to get some focus in the morning and was able to calm myself enough to sleep at night.

I still do a simple (very simple) counting meditation when I go to bed, but, any mindfulness training fell to the wayside over the past 18 months. It happened for various reasons, a lot having to do with my schedule changing month to month.

Now, I'm employed full time again, and I feel like I have the opportunity for a new start both career-wise and mentally. I'm starting by reading the book again. I never got past the first few exercises, the simple counting meditation and the "body scan," it helped me enough, and that's good, but we'll see what else we can accomplish.

I also gave the same book to my mother, who is having various troubles that I think she might benefit from. The book's subtitle of the book is, "Finding Peace in a Frantic World," which might turn her off, because her world isn't frantic (she's retired, and I know she's not doing much). However, if I know her, she is frantic in a way. Her mind is running in circles and she's not getting things done because she's worried about not getting things done.

So, we'll see what happens.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-08-2015), ChuckF (02-03-2017), curses (11-09-2015), Janet (11-11-2015), lisarea (11-08-2015), The Man (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Default Re: Getting good ideas from irredeemable assholes, or should I try meditation?

BAMP. :bump:

After quitting my last job because of the ridiculous stress level, and starting a new job for virtually no money but also very little stress, I decided now was a good time to work on me, so I just started an 8-week mindfulness class. It is hard, but I'm liking it so far.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-03-2017), curses (02-04-2017), Janet (02-08-2017), JoeP (02-03-2017), lisarea (02-03-2017), Sock Puppet (02-04-2017), specious_reasons (02-03-2017), The Man (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Solipsist

:peace3:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 06:26 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

You should be mindful of the danger of become so engrossed in your mindfulness that you stop minding things that are not yourself.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Don't mind Angakuk. :pat:
Angakuk (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I did Biofeedback for a few sessions and I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. The best part of mindfulness work is that it's a quickly acquired skill, and once you know it, you're done. Then you just have to remember to do it. :dopey:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
specious_reasons (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:39 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
I did Biofeedback for a few sessions and I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. The best part of mindfulness work is that it's a quickly acquired skill, and once you know it, you're done. Then you just have to remember to do it. :dopey:
I've discovered at night a simple count down meditation is enough to help clear my mind. I've been trying to consistently spend a few minutes in the morning doing a simple counting mediation (counting up instead of down) but I wind up dozing off half the time.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-04-2017), Janet (02-08-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle