Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: What's up with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Ari, I want to steal your girl's hair. It's pretty!

I got told yesterday by my neighbor that with my purple hair and tattoos I'm "quite a sight" (old lady for wow you look weird). Funny to think that the Yankee is nicer to me than most of the indigenous population down here ;)
Well you are a sight. :yup:
curses (07-03-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I stopped at Subway for dinner today. As I normally do, I brought a newspaper with me, so that I could catch up on events as I had dinner. At one point I glanced up to see a young man and his daughter (I presume) at the next counter. The girl was about 3, I would guess. When she saw me, her face lit up in an ear-to-ear grin.

Nothing spectacular or Earth-shaking, I know -- just a chance encounter with the most adorable creature on the planet.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (07-03-2009), Caligulette (07-03-2009), Demimonde (07-18-2009), SharonDee (07-02-2009), Smilin (07-06-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

:aww: I love little ones.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm going to look at a $600 car after work. I have low expectations, but the pictures on the internet make it seem like it's in pretty good shape for a 22 year old car.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I got an unexpected bonus at work, with a letter saying they will be not expanding anything, like paying me the expected and long over due cost of living raises I've missed out in two years.

I also went on a job interview for a health research job as an interviewer. Don't know if I can take it, it has variable hours. Sigh.
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-03-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
ŧiggermonkey

Approve Re: What's up with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Funny to think that the Yankee is nicer to me than most of the indigenous population down here ;)
Yankees FTW!

curses (07-03-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 AM

There are some loose stones in the woods at one of the nearby state parks, and I thought I'd take a jaunt out to the park this evening to do a bit of herping. Now normally when I go to the park, I take along a camera, just in case I should encounter any interesting flora or fauna that I might need to take some pictures of. The thought occurred to me as I got in the car and left campus that maybe I should go home first and pick up my camera. "Nah," I thought, "how likely is it that I'll run across anything I don't already have pictures of?"

So I get to the park, find the stones, and start turning them over to see if there's anything interesting underneath. Holy cow! Snake city! In less than 10 minutes' time, I uncover some 20 snakes or so. Most of them were Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis), as it turns out. Interesting, but nothing spectacular.

A couple of the snakes were juvenile Northern Water Snakes (Nerodia sipedon). Again, interesting but not spectacular.

Under one of the rocks was a juvenile Garter Snake. I was about to set the rock back down again when something in my brain said, "Wait a minute; there's something strange about that snake." So I grabbed it to get a better look. Immediately, I realized I was holding a Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi)! In this part of the country, a naturalist might go his entire life without seeing one of these elusive little reptiles.

And I didn't bring my camera.

Turning over some more rocks, I found a few more snakes, then the biggest Long-Tailed Salamander (Eurycea longicauda) I've ever seen. Another rock had not one but two Slimy Salamanders (Plethodon glutinosus) under it -- another species that can be quite difficult to find around here.

Best day of herping I've had in years. And I didn't bring my camera!

Okay, so tomorrow evening I'm going back. This time, I'll definitely bring my camera. With luck, I'll be able to find those critters again.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-03-2009), Demimonde (07-18-2009), freemonkey (07-04-2009), livius drusus (07-03-2009), Shelli (07-04-2009), viscousmemories (07-03-2009), Watser? (07-04-2009)
Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 AM
The cat that will listen

TLR, I'm surprised you haven't heard yet that rare, elusive, and interesting creatures are highly allergic to things like cameras and binoculars.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 AM
professional left-winger

I'm cleaning and organizing my garage, office/studio and house, and hopefully that will take a load off my mind.

I've realized that I'm getting I've gotten to an place in my life where I can't do it all, can't read it all and can't remember it all. I need to make some choices and pare back, try to stop thinking I can do all these projects and jobs and simplify, simplify, simplify. Not easy!

The tree guy came and sort of fixed my stairs, I'll have to re-do it soon, but it'll be OK for a month or so. I calmly and respectfully explained my issues, he was understanding and will come back next week to limb up the stupid trees along the driveway at a discount. Very good of him, I think. I understand shit happens, I just needed some fix.

TLR, that kind of stuff always happens to me when I don't bring my camera.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
godfuckingDAMNit!

I have to buy a pole saw to limb up the stupid trees along my stupid driveway. Fuck.
Get one of those electric chainsaws on a pole. The work will be done in nothing flat. Just be careful as its so easy, you can get a little prune happy. (And by that I don't mean diarrhea.)
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (07-11-2009)
Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Woman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
godfuckingDAMNit!

I have to buy a pole saw to limb up the stupid trees along my stupid driveway. Fuck.
Get one of those electric chainsaws on a pole. The work will be done in nothing flat. Just be careful as its so easy, you can get a little prune happy. (And by that I don't mean diarrhea.)
My neighbor has one of those and offered to help me, but it's only about 14' or so and most of the limbs are higher than that, which means ladders and shit. Plus, these trees are maybe 6-8' or so from the house and some power lines. I think I hate the guy who planted them.

Anyway, see above. I don't hafta do it after all. I did cut down a young 12'+ pine all by myself yesterday. :pleased:
Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 AM
lumpy proletariat

I am waiting for something to happen which might or might not happen. I am not a good wait-er. It seems like I have spent this year in waiting.

My dad is going in for heart catheterization this month. My mom is going for thyroid surgery next month. I have spent this year worrying about a variety of doctors and surgeons.

I'll be taking yet another round of reduced schedules when this one is up - but a little less reduced than this last set.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:41 AM

Yesterday, the check engine light on my car went on when I was on the way home from something fairly stressful. I really didn't need anything more stressful happening. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment right away to see what the problem was.

Happily, it wasn't that serious. Unhappily, it was very expensive. Worse yet, it was totally avoidable. Oh well. Live and learn, I suppose.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:02 AM

Desperately looking for work, so my wife and I can move out of my parents' guestroom before we all drive each other insane. I like Chico, but the job market here is as hard as everywhere else in the Valley. The frustrating thing is that I am not currently a student and thus have the supposed advantage of trying to find a job now rather than in September when all the students come back. Unfortunately most businesses are planning for that rush and do all of their hiring then, so I'm stuck with the lemmings anyway.

Of course, heaven would be to get a real job, but it turns out a Bachelor's degree just does not impress like it used to.
"Looking at another person is a both mirror and an opportunity; if you know how to look at each other and discover the basic goodness and beauty within, you have the chance of finding the same virtues within yourself."
Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Was supposed to be on vacation this week. Daughter of friends was getting married in Denver, so we used a timeshare exchange to get a place in Avon for the week. Then the person who was to be watching one of my transactions at work turned in her resignation, and we canceled the vacation--still flew to Denver for the wedding, but came back Monday, and stayed in Denver instead of the timeshare.

Drove down to Colorado Springs Sunday morning, before the wedding, to see Garden of the Gods. Will have to go back with our grandchildren.

Monday, had a four-hour layover in Salt Lake City. My youngest brother and his wife and daughter came out and ate dinner with us, and we got to visit for awhile. Unexpected pleasure.

While we were gone, a hive of bees moved into an old barbecue down by our pool. Since my sister-in-law is having her birthday party here tomorrow, we blew $175 on having the bees rescued. (The guy collects the bees, alive, and re-establishes the hive up in Boulevard, if the bees are not too aggressive. Video here.)

My email is too full at work; I need to go in tomorrow and delete a bunch of stuff so that I can send emails again. Mrs. ShottleBop will come with me; we'll walk up into Little Italy for dinner and then watch the fireworks over the bay.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 AM
the internet says I'm right

The city's fireworks for Independence Day were tonight. Almost called on account of thunderstorms, but they did it anyway. That led to some really cool moments with fireworks and lighting both at the same time, wish I'd had a decent camera and the luck to get a shot of that.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:35 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I'm going to look at a $600 car after work. I have low expectations, but the pictures on the internet make it seem like it's in pretty good shape for a 22 year old car.
It was sold already. That's what I get for working 12 hour shifts.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
ŧiggermonkey

Smile Re: What's up with you?

My dog is poopin' most excellent :shit: (at the moment.. but, no, not literally "at the moment" :giggle:), my step-daughter who's up from :nm: for the month of July has come out of her shell and we had a good day yesterday eating, talking & shopping :hugsmile:, it's not supposed to rain.. again... today :cheerful:, and we're having corn on the cob with porter house steaks on the grill tonight. :grill:

:mexican:
Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM

I went back to the park today. (It was raining yesterday.) This time, I brought my camera. Actually, I brought both cameras -- the HD camcorder and the still camera.

Normally, when I go herping, I don't bother to wear gloves. I mean, my hands aren't so dainty that I worry about getting scrapes or cuts when lifting rocks. Sometimes, if my fingernails are too long, I'll break a nail, but that's no big deal.

Of course, if you're holding up a heavy rock with one hand and you find a good snake under it, you've typically got only a second or so to grab it before it escapes into the surrounding brush. (You can't just drop the rock, after all; you might kill the poor snake.) Since you have only one hand free and very little time, this means you just aim for the middle of the snake's body and grab it. Since the snakes you're likely to find hiding under rocks are usually small ones, I don't worry about being bitten. The worst a little Garter Snake (for example) can do is give you some scratches that might bleed a little. I get much worse hiking through a field of brambles.

Actually, what's much more annoying is that a great many snake species produce noxious secretions from their anal glands, which they smear all over any animal that grabs them. It's a bit annoying.

So, since I intended to catch some snakes today, instead of my usual routine of just lifting a rock, noting what's under it, and then setting the rock back in place to leave the snake in peace, I stuffed a pair of cloth gloves in my back pocket. It beats getting snake juice smeared all over your hands.

Under the first rock was a nice, big Garter Snake. I grabbed it with my free hand, but those cloth gloves don't give you a very good grip. Before I could secure the snake, it squirmed out of my hand and disappeared into the rocks. I thought that maybe I'd just take the gloves off, and deal with the inevitable smearing of anal-gland secretions. But the Garter Snake had slid under a decent-sized rock and I wanted to catch it before it could get away.

So I didn't waste any time taking off the gloves. I lifted the next rock. Under it was a big Northern Water Snake. That's unusual. Juvenile water snakes often hide under rocks, but adults are usually found hanging out in vegetation along the shores of lakes and ponds. Naturally, I immediately grabbed the snake.

Have I mentioned that Northern Water Snakes are notoriously bad-tempered and prone to bite? It's certainly not as if I don't have lots of practice in capturing snakes without being bitten, but as soon as I lifted the rock, the snake began to flee. If I was going to catch it, I had to grab it right away. No time to be careful. So I grabbed it right in the middle.

Immediately, of course, it turned and started gnawing on my hand. So I was happy I'd left the gloves on. The snake couldn't have done me any real harm, but he'd have lacerated my hand real good. His teeth were too short to fully penetrate my glove, however.

After awhile, I got him calmed down enough to sit on the ground relatively still, while I shot some video. Then I put him back under his rock.

I caught another Garter Snake and took some pictures of it, too.

Then, to my delight, I found my Brown Snake again, and took some video of it.

Sadly, I didn't find any Long-Tailed Salamanders or Slimy Salamanders, but I eventually located a Red-Backed Salamander. They're a dime a dozen around here, but I took some pictures anyway. Afterwards, I shot pictures of various interesting flowers and called it a day.

As I was wandering through the fields and woods, I'd pluck an occasional wild raspberry and munch on it. They're so much tastier than the ones you can buy in the grocery stores!

When I was a kid, a woman I knew who was a sort of Mentor/Mother Figure to me used to say that every fruit is allotted a certain amount of flavor, which is why the small wild strawberries and raspberries you can find in the woods and fields are so much tastier than the much-larger cultivated berries you buy in the store. (The bigger berries, she insisted, have the same total amount of flavor as the smaller ones, but it's diluted in the bigger berries.)

Of course, a big part of the reason that the fruits and berries you find in the stores are usually much less flavorful than their wild relatives is because they aren't bred for flavor, they're bred for ease of shipping. So, you get these tough, tasteless fruits and vegetables that can be shipped long distances without being damaged. Besides, in order to maximize shelf-life, the fruits and vegetables you buy in the stores are usually picked before they're actually ripe.

Speaking of such things, there's a local fruit and vegetable farm where you can buy berries, corn, and so forth. So I stopped and got some sweet corn, raspberries, and strawberries. Since these aren't intended to be shipped anywhere, they aren't picked until they're actually ripe. As such, they're much tastier than the stuff you buy in the supermarket.

Maybe I'll make a strawberry shortcake later.

There's a dairy farm nearby that sells goods to the public as well. They have chickens wandering around the place and they sell "free-range" eggs that're much tastier than the ones you buy in the stores. Their cows are grass-fed, and people are invited to come and watch them being milked. (They still milk their cows by hand.) They have this nifty arrangement: they sell their milk in old-fashioned glass bottles, you pay a bottle deposit the first time you get some milk, then when you bring the empty bottle back, you swap it for a new bottle of milk.

Anyway, I go there for their excellent milk, butter, and ice cream. I stopped in, got an ice cream cone, then sat on a bench outside to watch the water bubbling along in the brook. A couple of very well-fed ducks were wandering around and hoping for handouts. A little girl got out her cell phone and took some pictures of them.

I was listening to "A Prairie Home Companion" on the way back, and Garrison Keillor repeated that asinine myth about how bumblebees supposedly can't fly, according to the laws of aeronautics. I hate it when people repeat and perpetuate stupid myths like that.

Really, how insulting is that myth? Do people really think that scientists sit around and say, "But ... but ... that's impossible! According to our theory, bumblebees can't fly!" If it happens, it's obviously possible. So if your theory can't accound for an easily-observable fact (such as the fact that bumblebees do indeed fly), then even the dullest twit understands that the theory needs to be amended or abandoned.

I hate that stupid and insulting stereotype. No scientist alive is so arrogant and stupid that he'd actually say in seriousness something so asinine as: "Bumblebees can't fly, according to our theory."

So I sent an e-mail to "A Prairie Home Companion" informing them that the laws of aeronautics do indeed predict that bumblebees can fly, that there's nothing particularly surprising or mysterious about bumblebees' ability to fly, and that I hope they won't perpetuate this particular myth in the future.

So, a fairly productive day, overall.

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 07-05-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-05-2009), Crumb (07-07-2009), Demimonde (07-18-2009), freemonkey (07-05-2009), livius drusus (07-05-2009), SharonDee (07-05-2009), trientalis (07-05-2009), viscousmemories (07-05-2009), Watser? (07-05-2009)
Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Admin

I can't see the pictures or videos. :chin:
Old 07-05-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
I can't see the pictures or videos. :chin:
Or the e-mail.

I think the text is just a teaser.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 PM
professional left-winger

There's a park nearby where we take our dog for walks. All summer I heard what sounded like a raven (they are not super common around here like crows are) but I never saw it. Yesterday morning I saw an entire raven family, most of them sitting on one of the ball fields.

Of course, had no camera with me to get shots of them flying through the pine trees. I might try to go back this morning, or maybe tomorrow.

Yesterday was perfect though, since it was a holiday there was no one else there and no workers.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 AM
ŧiggermonkey

We went VROOMing today! And it was perfect weather! :celebrate:

It was the first real VROOM of the season for us. It's been rain, rain, rain and the few times that the :sun: has shown it's face, we've been so busy with everything else. :rush:

:motorcycleglomp:
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Struggling to stay sober....

I got a check from the VA this past Thursday for $250.00

Supposedly it's part of Obama's stimulus package where he's sending everyone drawing Social Security or VA benefits there $250.00 death benefit before they actually die.

Great! I got paid up front for when I die....woooooohooooooo!!!!!

I didn't ask questions, just cashed it.
Shelli (07-07-2009)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 AM
professional left-winger

I am culling my book collection, which is very difficult work. So far, I have 5 boxes ready to go to Half-Price Books next week.

I remembered to bring my camera to the park the other day and caught some pics of those ravens. I could only see two, the rest must have left the area.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium