Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 02-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Two Minutes Love

It's rare that there's an opportunity to post a new story in this thread these days, so this one strikes me as particularly wonderful.

In Kenya Bus Terror Attack, Muslim Passengers Protect Christians by Refusing to Separate | Mic

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-04-2017), erimir (02-04-2017), Janet (02-08-2017), JoeP (02-04-2017), lisarea (02-04-2017), mickthinks (02-04-2017), SR71 (02-04-2017), Stephen Maturin (03-02-2017), Stormlight (02-07-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM

Imam Hassan Guillet is a much better person than I am. From his address at the funeral for the three shooting victims at his mosque:

Quote:
The society that could not protect them, the society that could not benefit from their generosity still has a chance. The hands that didn’t shake the hands of Khaled or Aboubaker or Abdelkrim or Azzedine or Mamadou or Ibrahima, that society can shake the hands of their kids.

We have 17 orphans. We have six widows. We have five wounded.

We ask Allah for them to get them out of the hospital as soon as possible.

Did I go through the complete list of victims? No.

There is one victim. None of us want talk about him.

But given my age, I have the courage to say it. This victim, his name is Alexandre Bissonnette.

Alexandre, before being a killer, he was a victim himself. Before planting his bullets in the heads of his victims, somebody planted ideas more dangerous than the bullets in his head.

This little kid didn’t wake up in the morning and say, ‘Hey guys, instead of going to have a picnic or watching the Canadiens, I will go kill some people in the mosque.’ It doesn’t happen that way.

Day after day, week after week, month after month, certain politicians unfortunately, and certain reporters unfortunately, and certain media were poisoning our atmosphere.

We did not want to see it. We didn’t want to see it because we love this country, we love this society. We wanted our to society to be perfect. We were like parents; their kids [are] smoking or taking drugs and your neighbour says that your kid was taking drugs: “I don’t believe it; my son is perfect.”

We don’t want to see it. And we didn’t see it, and it happened.
(via Balloon Juice)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
Corona688 (03-02-2017), curses (02-06-2017), Janet (02-08-2017), JoeP (02-05-2017), Pan Narrans (02-05-2017), Stephen Maturin (03-02-2017), Stormlight (02-07-2017), The Lone Ranger (02-11-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Dishwasher becomes part-owner of top restaurant Noma - BBC News

Last edited by mickthinks; 03-01-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-01-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-25-2017), lisarea (03-01-2017), Pan Narrans (03-01-2017), Stephen Maturin (03-02-2017), Stormlight (03-06-2017), The Man (03-01-2017), Zehava (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

The love isn't so much for the sociopathic wingnut pastor as for the people making donations to Planned Parenthood in his name, and to Daily Kos for its sound advice:

Quote:
So, whatever you do, don’t waste your time donating to the Planned Parenthood clinic closest to Greg Locke’s church—Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee—and don’t waste your time making sure a thank you card gets mailed to him at:

Greg Locke
c/o Global Vision Bible Church
2060 Old Lebanon Dirt Rd
Mt Juliet, TN 37122

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-03-2017), lisarea (03-03-2017), Stormlight (03-06-2017), The Man (03-03-2017), Zehava (03-03-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

This deserves all the minutes of love.

Captain Picard is the Best Captain of all time.

:pibble:
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (03-15-2017), Ensign Steve (03-16-2017), Kyuss Apollo (04-24-2017), lisarea (03-09-2017), Stormlight (03-10-2017), The Man (03-10-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Solipsist

This isn't entirely love as the grandmother died and the little girl should never have been put in that situation and they should have phones or radios out there, but I still love it.

Four-year-old trekked miles in subzero Siberia to help sick grandmother | World news | The Guardian

Siberia! -34C (-29F)! Threat of wolves!

And yes, she wore a red hat (pic no embedski so go and look).

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-14-2017), ceptimus (03-15-2017), Pan Narrans (03-17-2017), Stormlight (03-14-2017), The Man (03-14-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

This might not be exactly the right thread for it, but after seeing Anna and Adeline earlier today, I got to thinking about it.

You see, there are times that this job can be rather ... frustrating. Sometimes, I feel something very near despair as I wonder whether I'm doing any good at all. But then, there are some rather nice perks that come with the job. One of them has to do with the fact that most of the faculty and staff (and their families) live on campus.

Last Friday, there were no classes, as it was Good Friday. I was out, enjoying the sunshine, when Anna and Adeline saw me. As it was a warm and sunny day, by inexorable 7-year-old (Anna) and 4-year-old (Adeline) logic, that meant I absolutely had to take the two of them down to the creek to catch crayfish, chase minnows, and generally enjoy the day.

It wasn't exactly difficult for them to convince me.

So, for a few hours we played in the creek. When one of them was intimidated by too-deep or too-fast water, she'd ask me to pick her up and carry her. Eventually, Adeline scratched herself on a rock and decided that she had to go home, and that she had to be carried. So, she wrapped her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck and laid her head on my shoulder while I carried her home.

Their parents thanked me for watching over and entertaining their kids. But honestly, how could I not have been thrilled to have such an opportunity? To have earned the love and trust of children who are not in any way related to you seems like just-about the ultimate compliment, it seems to me.

Later the same day, our two married Physics professors (Bill and Sarah) decided they wanted to drive to a nearby restaurant, and asked me if I'd come. They also invited Debbie, one of the Education professors. So, the lot of us -- including Bill and Sarah's 11-year-old daughter Elizabeth and their 5-year-old son James -- piled into a minivan and headed off to the restaurant. Did I mention that it's a nearly one-hour drive each way?

During most of the way to the restaurant, Elizabeth told me about what's been going on in her life lately, including all the things that seem particularly important to an 11-year-old. Similarly, during the entire drive back, Elizabeth happily told me about the latest goings-on in her life. Occasionally, I'd ask her for clarification on some point or other.

As this was happening, Debbie would occasionally look over to give me a small smile, as if she thought I couldn't possibly be enjoying myself, and needed a bit of encouragement. Sometimes, when Elizabeth said something that seemed particularly ... childish ... Debbie would turn away from looking out the window to roll her eyes.

Personally, I suspect that a big part of the reason Elizabeth seems to enjoy my company is because I'm an adult who takes her seriously, and doesn't try to talk down to her. Anyway, when we got back to campus, I had to get out to allow Debbie to exit. (I was sitting by the sliding door.) As she exited, Debbie whispered to me, "You're a patient man, Michael."

Not at all. I absolutely adore Elizabeth. And if that young girl likes and trusts me enough to want to share details of her life, her likes, and her frustrations, I feel absolutely honored to have earned such affection and trust.

I absolutely love children, though I've never particularly wanted to have any of my own. That there are several children on campus who seem to love and trust me in return is something that very definitely gives me the warm fuzzies.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-24-2017), Crumb (04-24-2017), Ensign Steve (04-24-2017), JoeP (04-24-2017), Kyuss Apollo (04-24-2017), lisarea (04-23-2017), Pan Narrans (04-24-2017), Sock Puppet (04-28-2017), Stormlight (04-24-2017), The Man (04-24-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 AM

Related to the above: today, several students brought me a Rough Green Snake.

So what? You might be thinking.

Well, keep in mind that all of these students were female, and that we live in a region where pretty-much everyone -- but especially women -- is expected to hate and fear snakes. Yet, when they found the snake outside their dorm, they managed to capture it (in a trash bag) and bring it to me. Why? Because they knew I'd be upset if they'd killed it. And they thought I'd like to see it.

And it turned out to be a win/win/win situation. I was in a lab at the time, so they brought the snake to the lab. It was a lovely, large female snake, and though several of the students were freaked out by it at first, I soon had them admiring it, and almost all of them were wanting to hold and "pet" it by the time the lab was over.

Afterwards, I took it around and showed it to several of the campus children, who were just as enthralled with it as the older students had been. Finally, I found a nice wooded area and released it back to the wild. All in all, an excellent day, if you ask me.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-25-2017), Corona688 (04-25-2017), Ensign Steve (04-25-2017), JoeP (04-25-2017), Kyuss Apollo (04-25-2017), lisarea (04-25-2017), Sock Puppet (04-28-2017), specious_reasons (04-25-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Forum Killer

That critter is beautiful, and I don't even mean that in a crocodile hunter way.

Still strikes me as a little funny the only options considered were "assault" and "capture". There's always the old fashioned "shoo".
Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
That critter is beautiful, and I don't even mean that in a crocodile hunter way.

Still strikes me as a little funny the only options considered were "assault" and "capture".
Not to speak for TLR or his students, but "leaving it alone" as an option was probably ruled out because if they didn't remove the snake from where it was on campus, the next group of students that encountered it were more likely to choose "assault".
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (04-25-2017), JoeP (04-25-2017), lisarea (04-25-2017), The Lone Ranger (04-25-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Forum Killer

Ooh, very good point.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post

Still strikes me as a little funny the only options considered were "assault" and "capture".
Not to speak for TLR or his students, but "leaving it alone" as an option was probably ruled out because if they didn't remove the snake from where it was on campus, the next group of students that encountered it were more likely to choose "assault".
Yup, that's it exactly. Two of the students in the lab even said that if they had encountered it, they'd have killed it immediately. One of them, after holding and "petting" the snake for awhile, said that he was glad that it hadn't been him that found it, as the snake was actually quite "nice."
Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-25-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Solipsist

Teenage boys wear skirts to school to protest against 'no shorts' policy | Education | The Guardian

Quote:
Dozens of pupils at Isca academy in Exeter stage uniform protest after school insists they wear [long] trousers despite heatwave
2000.jpg

Quote:
One boy told Devon Live he had been told on Wednesday the skirt was too short and his legs too hairy. Some of the boys had taken this into account and bought razors to shave their legs.
:D

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2017), Crumb (06-22-2017), lisarea (06-22-2017), Pan Narrans (06-22-2017), Stormlight (06-27-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Oh! Many years ago, this deli/bakery place, anyway, this place, had a no shorts rule, too. It's a kind of old building, poorly insulated, and it gets really hot in there. So the men did the same thing in protest.

The best part about it, though, was that most of them really leaned in to it. They didn't just toss on any old skirt. They clearly put some thought into it, and they looked really really good. The guy with the mohawk wore mostly miniskirts with zippers and slits and stuff, the hippieish guy wore shirtdresses and circle skirts, a couple big burly guys went for kilt-like skirts, but overall, they all seemed to be pretty into it. As was I. I'd normally stop in there once or twice a week, but I went every day during the protest to look at the cute boys.

Boring denouement: They ended up succeeding in getting the dress code changed to allow shorts, so the cute boys stopped wearing skirts and I went back to just going in sometimes.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-23-2017), Crumb (06-22-2017), Ensign Steve (07-18-2017), JoeP (06-22-2017), Limoncello (06-22-2017), Qingdai (09-30-2017), Stormlight (06-27-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Teenage boys wear skirts to school to protest against 'no shorts' policy | Education | The Guardian

Quote:
Dozens of pupils at Isca academy in Exeter stage uniform protest after school insists they wear [long] trousers despite heatwave
Attachment 10506

Quote:
One boy told Devon Live he had been told on Wednesday the skirt was too short and his legs too hairy. Some of the boys had taken this into account and bought razors to shave their legs.
:D
Et maintenant:

Overheated French male bus drivers don skirts in defiance of dress code | World news | The Guardian

Thanks, from:
lisarea (06-23-2017), Stormlight (06-27-2017), The Man (06-23-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 PM
ChuckF's sock

I am getting this for my next camping trip - a SKULL Fire!

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-26-2017), ceptimus (09-25-2017), JoeP (09-25-2017), lisarea (09-25-2017), Stormlight (09-26-2017), The Man (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

That's perfectly suited for a Halloween display.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
I am getting this for my next camping trip - a SKULL Fire!

Wrong thread
BrotherMan (09-30-2017), Stormlight (10-05-2017), The Man (10-01-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone has had several unexpected positive consequences:

One of the most heartwarming things I've seen in awhile, honestly.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-07-2017), ceptimus (10-07-2017), Crumb (10-07-2017), fragment (10-07-2017), JoeP (10-07-2017), lisarea (10-06-2017), slimshady2357 (10-07-2017), Sock Puppet (10-06-2017), Stormlight (12-29-2017), Zehava (10-10-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 AM
mesospheric bore

Nice illustration of the effects of a keystone species.
BrotherMan (10-07-2017), ceptimus (10-07-2017), Crumb (10-07-2017), lisarea (10-07-2017), slimshady2357 (10-07-2017), Stormlight (10-09-2017), The Man (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

That is awesome.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Fucking deer, destroying the ecosystem!

We should kill them all.

That was the lesson, right?
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-07-2017), ceptimus (10-07-2017), JoeP (10-07-2017), lisarea (10-07-2017), slimshady2357 (10-07-2017), Stormlight (10-09-2017), Zehava (10-10-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Pibble Circus!

:pibble: :wriggle:

Sadly, it's not a 100% pibble circus. There are humangs too.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-08-2017), Stormlight (12-29-2017), The Man (12-08-2017)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd never heard of this guy or his show before, but I decided this interview needed to be in this thread about four minutes in. You'll see why. (The title has nothing to do with why, fyi, though it is an entertaining thought experiment.)

Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-17-2018), mickthinks (01-18-2018), Stormlight (01-18-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM

Eugene, OR should have used this accompaniment:

Ensign Steve (02-07-2018), lisarea (02-01-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium