Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Iffy therapies given thumbs up by the FDA. SCARY! I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
This thread has gone off track again. I am not forcing you to buy the book. If you're not interested, don't read it.
I'll say.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Quote:
This thread has gone off track again. I am not forcing you to buy the book. If you're not interested, don't read it.
I'll say.
The least you can do is admit you know nothing about the book if you haven't read it for yourself.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Just read the introduction of Decline and Fall of all Evil by Seymour Lessans.
Dear Readers:

As you read, please keep in mind that the Authentic Text, as written by the author and published in his lifetime, was printed in hardback in 1971. Late editions from the 2000s hawked for sale online do not represent the words of the author because of extensive corruptions introduced by the seller. These later editions are the Corrupted Text and are not the writings of the author as published in his lifetime. Beware of the Corrupted Text.
So...You've read the text?

I asked because I read the blurb on wiki....it sounds a lot like Gurdjieff Ouspensky stuff...are you familiar with that pair? :bonklers:
I'm not familiar. Can you show me the similarities?

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So...You've read the text?

I asked because I read the blurb on wiki....it sounds a lot like Gurdjieff Ouspensky stuff...are you familiar with that pair? :bonklers:
First of all, I have heard of Gurdjieff, but only as sort of a footnote to Russian cultural history - I have never heard of Ouspensky or read Gurdjeff's Wikipedia article, which I am now enjoying immensely. Thank you for that!

I have read the text(s). The original text, as published by the author during his lifetime, is a fair amount of goofiness, but it has some really rather enjoyable literary qualities. The best way I can think of to describe it is as a charming 1970s new-age picaresque artifact that is constantly self-aware. It is very funny and mostly entertaining, to the point that I theorize that the content of its commentary on its time and place outweighs - and was intended by the author to outweigh - whatever actual theoretical knowledge or insights it purports to convey. Read in the context of the late 60s, its outsized claims to end all war by 1980 and reformulate the human sexual relationship based on whimsical handwaving become more of a searing comment on Vietnam and the sexual revolution than any type of earnest "discovery."

Unfortunately, the Corrupted Text has been entirely denuded of these substantial qualities, and reduced to decontextualized nonsense babble. It's a rather turgid slog. This deprives readers of the Corrupted Text from any insight into the author's actual literary virtues.
This commentary is so completely twisted, it just shows how wrong a person can be.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
peacegirl, if their own parents want to give children Motrin, shouldn't those parents be free to do so?
Of course they are free to do so, but they need to be warned of the risks on the label so they can make an informed choice.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

The reasonance with early 20th century mysticism and theosophian-type esotericism is most evident in the germinal substance "discovery." godfry's reference to Gurdjieff is extremely apt, I think - the more I read about Gurdjieff, the more apt it sounds.

godfry, here's an excerpt of one passage I have in mind. What do you think:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-24-2016), godfry n. glad (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2016), The Man (10-23-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:42 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Quote:
peacegirl, if their own parents want to give children Motrin, shouldn't those parents be free to do so?
Of course they are free to do so, but they need to be warned of the risks on the label so they can make an informed choice.
"It's your choice in the end but if [your child] loses quality of life due to [Motrin poisoning], you have no one to blame but yourself. :sad: I know that sounds harsh but with all the information out there, it is the consumer's responsibility to do their homework. If you accept the risks, you have to accept the consequences."
~ Internet Retard

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), But (11-25-2017), The Man (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:39 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
I urge any newcomers who are really looking for solutions to the problems that are plaging [sic] our world to open their minds before judging whether there is value in what is being shown.
:notes2:

Imaginary lurkers
Never call you "clown"
When all the others lol at you
They're around

It's my made-up bullshit
Tripe to all but me
But lurkers adore a
peacegirl shitpost spree

Imaginary lurkers
You're mine
Anytime
Imaginary lurkers
Ooooo yeah

When ordinary posters
Don't accept your swill
And Holocaust believers
Want you still
Imagination's unreal!

Imaginary lurkers
Never disagree
They genuflect
They never correct
Mindless screeds

Satisfaction guaranteed

:notes2:

Quote:
The time you give to this endeavor cannot be cursory.
This is correct. You'll need to quit doing anything remotely productive, develop The Vapors, bullshit your way onto SSDI and spend your days drinking and studying the work of chronically butthurt aluminum siding salesman. However, you must take care to avoid the author's original writings an instead study the corrupted version cobbled together by a vacuous hack who denuded the original work of all its splendor. Once you've internalized the vacuous hack's musings and developed a first-class alcohol-induced dementia, you'll be spending your days squabbling with strangers on the Internet about how eyes are not sense organs.

This way lies world peace.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), But (10-24-2016), ChuckF (10-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stormlight (10-24-2016), The Man (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
The reasonance with early 20th century mysticism and theosophian-type esotericism is most evident in the germinal substance "discovery." godfry's reference to Gurdjieff is extremely apt, I think - the more I read about Gurdjieff, the more apt it sounds.

godfry, here's an excerpt of one passage I have in mind. What do you think:

I'd seen similar snippets in the Amazon source on the book. :tldr: Every instance of my seeing actual content has led to my not wanting to see any more.

I still am reminded of the bloviating of Gurjieff/Ouspenski...or, that the author is attempting to be the next Rudolf Steiner. Only Steiner is a much better writer. :eyesbleed:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), ChuckF (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Stop it guys, she has a point! You know, last week I went to my doctor because I have a pain in my elbow. My doctor said he wanted to try this new procedure called porcupine therapy. He tied a leather strap around the hind legs of the porcupine and whirled it around above his head, like a sling, or a lasso. Then he started walloping me right on the elbow with the porcupine. Fuck it hurt so bad! One time he missed and walloped me right on the side of my head. I have terrible side effects. I'm now blind in my right eye and am still pulling porcupine quills out from everywhere. Worst of all, it didn't even do a thing for my elbow. If anything it hurts even worse now. They really need to tighten things up at the FDA. I think it's totally bullshit that this procedure was ever approved.
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), ChuckF (10-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (10-24-2016), lisarea (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2016), Stormlight (10-24-2016), The Man (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:15 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Stop it guys, she has a point! You know, last week I went to my doctor because I have a pain in my elbow. My doctor said he wanted to try this new procedure called porcupine therapy. He tied a leather strap around the hind legs of the porcupine and whirled it around above his head, like a sling, or a lasso. Then he started walloping me right on the elbow with the porcupine. Fuck it hurt so bad! One time he missed and walloped me right on the side of my head. I have terrible side effects. I'm now blind in my right eye and am still pulling porcupine quills out from everywhere. Worst of all, it didn't even do a thing for my elbow. If anything it hurts even worse now. They really need to tighten things up at the FDA. I think it's totally bullshit that this procedure was ever approved.
Com'on, just man up and get over it, just like Peacegirl and her Grandma.
SR71 (10-24-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:07 AM

Can't do this anymore. You're all out the door! :sad:

Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Too bad about that that consent form you signed, SR71.

Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), SR71 (10-24-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Well I'm not letting him give me any more porcupine therapy, I can tell you that much.
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-24-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 06:08 PM

I understand porcupine therapists really stick it to you, rather like acupuncturists, but more barbed in application.

Did you check the therapy against reviews at Cochrane Library?
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Can't do this anymore. You're all out the door! :sad:
We're all still here, but you've said this before, and then came back. See you again soon.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Too bad about that that consent form you signed, SR71.
Doesn't the consent form allow them to come and get you for more treatments?
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), But (10-24-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Doesn't the consent form allow them to come and get you for more treatments?
:yup: Pretty much. If you were to read the fine print, I betcha the form SR71 signed authorizes the physician to enter SR71's home or workplace and porcupine-slap him at any time.

Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-24-2016), But (10-24-2016), ChuckF (10-24-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), thedoc (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Also, no legal recourse.

That really needles me.
livius drusus (10-28-2016), Pan Narrans (10-25-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Unbelievable!! Proof has been made part of an exposition in Canada that the conditions for efferent quilling are met when the porcupine is large enough and angry enough to be antagonized!
Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), JoeP (10-25-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

That's true. A teenager named Dave long ago attended a science exposition in Canada and saw a sign in front of a pavilion that read, "Come inside and and let us prove scientifically that porcupines are efferent mammals.” From that day forward Dave became very much involved in porcupine therapy.

Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), ChuckF (10-25-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Unbelievable!! Proof has been made part of an exposition in Canada that the conditions for efferent quilling are met when the porcupine is large enough and angry enough to be antagonized!
I don't think it was very efferent. Maybe he did it wrong. I didn't really want to look at the porcupine while he was prepping for the procedure. It was kind of freaking me out. Obviously, I wouldn't know, I'm not a doctor. I'm not going to say anything though. From what Matlock said, they can come get me and make me get the treatment again! I hope they just forget about me.
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), ChuckF (10-25-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:16 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
I don't think it was very efferent.
You are so clueless!
Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 AM

I'm not posting in this thread anymore. You guys are assholes.
aarp (10-25-2016), Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), ChuckF (10-25-2016), JoeP (10-25-2016), livius drusus (10-28-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2016), Stormlight (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
I'm not posting in this thread anymore. You guys are assholes.
I'm going to start a new thread whose title with end with a

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
aarp (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-25-2016), But (11-25-2017), ChuckF (10-25-2016), Pan Narrans (10-25-2016), SR71 (10-25-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-25-2016), The Man (10-25-2016), thedoc (10-25-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle