Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 08-29-2023, 03:17 PM

Default Board Games

A big part of my youth was playing table top games. We alternated between games like D&D and Car Wars, and board games like Risk, Diplomacy, Axis & Allies, and Civilization. I remember many a weekend where we'd get together on a Friday night and play all the way through Sunday afternoon.

Then I went off to college, graduate school, and then became a parent.

However, recently with my kids now old enough to grasp strategic concepts, I decided to start board gaming again. We're starting out small, games like Ticker to Ride: First Journey, Monopoly Jr, and Pandemic and my boys seem to like them.

I'm also getting into solo gaming (which I didn't know was a thing until recently). And on top of that, print and play games, so I'm learning to craft my own game boards, tokens, and playing cards.

Anyone into board gaming, and if so what games do you enjoy the most?
Ari (08-29-2023), Crumb (08-30-2023), fragment (08-30-2023), slimshady2357 (08-29-2023), viscousmemories (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 03:53 PM
Admin

Default Re: Board Games

Tell me more about this "solo gaming". I know it in the context of video games, of course, and card games like Solitaire, but no more than that.

We played a lot of Monopoly, Risk, Boggle, and Stratego when I was a kid.
Thanks, from:
It's Me! (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 04:13 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Mrs. Reasons buys a ton of games, and we don't play as often as we ought to. My eldest joined a gaming group in college and introduced a few games to us through that.

I'm interested in this solo play, too. I bought the Call of Cthulhu starter pack, and it has a solo play component, but I haven't tried it yet.
Thanks, from:
It's Me! (08-29-2023), JoeP (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Tell me more about this "solo gaming". I know it in the context of video games, of course, and card games like Solitaire, but no more than that.

Nowadays, a lot of games that are designed to be played multi-play will actually come with a solo variant, or if the game is a cooperative game (like Pandemic) you play multiple roles yourself (or you can typically find a solo mode that is created by a fan of the game and posted on games page on Board Game Geek (BGG)). Other games are designed purely to be played solo.

One of my favorite game designers Grey Gnome Games makes a variety of solo games like Tin Helm (dungeon crawler), Dustrunner (post-apocalyptic Mad Max style), Gate and its expansion Gates (fantasy tower defense). His games can fit into a mint tin and can be played on a small table top.

Different games have different mechanics. Some rely on randomness (dice rolls), while others have a push your luck element (pick two cards, select one and hope that discarding the one card doesn't come back to haunt you).

Then there are the roll and write games like Voyages, Aquamarine and Waypoints from Postmark games, where you roll a number of dice and then select which ones to use in what manner (e.g., In Voyages you roll three dice, one you select for direction, one for distance, and other for loot). Other games are flip and writes where there are no dice, but you have to manage a deck of cards (Cartographers is one such game).

Game time also varies. Most roll/flip and writes can be played in under 30 minutes. One card game I enjoy named Cursed?! can be played in under 10. Other games like Gloomhaven (designed to be played with 1 to 4 players) are campaign style and a typical session can be 1 to 2 hours at a time.

The world of solo gaming is pretty big. Games range from free (where you print out the sheets - I tend to laminate them and use a chalk marker so I can reuse them), to $4 (Voyages), to $25 (Cartographers), to hundreds of dollars for Kickstarter exclusives (which you'll have to pay for and not see for a year or two while the designer lines up production). A lot of the Grey Gnome Games can be found as print and plays ($3 for the game + the time and effort and printer ink and paper) but you can also buy them for around $20. I do like that there is a price point for just about everyone.
Ari (08-29-2023), Crumb (08-30-2023), Sock Puppet (08-29-2023), specious_reasons (08-29-2023), viscousmemories (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:24 PM
angry white woman

There are a lot of card games that are strategic.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:26 PM
angry white woman

And Battleship is another good board game.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:01 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:

Go buy a copy of Friday and try it out! :yup:

I've been known to play a few board games. Though recently haven't had many times to get any plays in. My usual board gaming crowd has drifted or moved away.:(

I am usually always playing a few turn based games on Yucata or BGA.
It's Me! (08-31-2023), viscousmemories (08-30-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post

I've been known to play a few board games. Though recently haven't had many times to get any plays in. My usual board gaming crowd has drifted or moved away.:(

Friday is on my Amazon Wishlist.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:01 PM
Admin

I ordered it yesterday!
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 03:04 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:cool2:
Old 10-25-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I grabbed Friday about a week ago from an auction on BoardGameGeek. I may have also purchased Robinson Crusoe:Adventures on the Cursed Island at the same time (to run with the theme). Oh yeah, and Pandemic Legacy: Season Zero, and Root.

I'm particularly interested in Root, but not sure if my boys are old enough to handle it yet (though both are quick learners and can be pretty crafty). The amount of games I've purchased recently is pretty scary, and I'm not sure if the wife is keeping track of it or not (hopefully not, because even I'm afraid to do so). I'm just hoping I can manage to keep the kids interested long enough to play at least a percentage of them with me!
Crumb (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 06:28 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Been there. :unnod:
It's Me! (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:12 PM
Admin

That reminds me, I really should open that one of these days. :shifty:
Thanks, from:
It's Me! (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
That reminds me, I really should open that one of these days. :shifty:
I have it on my table with every intention of playing it sooner, rather than later. Trying to fit it around my kids soccer schedules (the only day I don't have some organized soccer activity with my kids is Friday evenings) makes it difficult though.

I think it'll be an interesting solo game. BGG has it listed as a fun, but tough solo game, and the online playthroughs make it seem quick but engaging, but I imagine I'll lose more than win.
viscousmemories (10-26-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 07:00 AM

Given the Halloween season, convinced my oldest to play Horrified: Greek Monsters. After we set up, the youngest joined in as well (but got bored and wandered off to play Roblox after the first couple of rounds). But the oldest and I wound up winning (though we played on easy). Wound up saving 7 Legends, and only losing two to Cerberus and the Basilisk.

Not sure if we played 100% correctly, but I imagine if we play a few more times, we'll figure it all out. Definitely recommend it but wonder if the original or American Monsters is the best overall (they're all rated pretty much the same on BGG, with H:GM being slightly the highest rated of them all).
Ari (10-30-2023), Crumb (10-30-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 05:22 PM

Was talking about the game Bomber Boys on a FB group. Here is the version I crafted on my own. Files can be found (for free) on PNPArcade. Cubes and dice can be found really cheap on Temu and AliExpress. I print (front/back) on 110lb card stock, and then laminate. The hardest part is getting your printer to align front/back cards properly (if the cards have bleed around them, some error in alignment is tolerable), and you almost always have to print each side manually.

Tokens were printed on sticker paper that was then affixed to wooden tiles/discs, and then colored the borders in with black Sharpie. Turned out well for my first print and play that wasn't solely cards.

On another note, I found Pax Pamir (2nd edition) on eBay for a great price, and I also grabbed Terraforming Mars: The Dice Game, both most likely for solo play (my kids are way too young for the complex Pax Pamir).

Pax Pamir: https://wehrlegig.com/products/pax-pamir-second-edition
Terraforming Mars: The Dice Game: https://www.fryxgames.se/produkt/ter...ars-dice-game/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic7497353.jpg (302.8 KB, 6 views)
Crumb (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:40 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Nice PNP work there. I have done a few but nothing so elaborate as that.

I like TM the dice game. I haven't tried it solo though. But it does capture the TM feel in much shorter time span.
It's Me! (12-09-2023)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:13 PM

Wife agreed to a trip to the nearest Ikea (a 2.5 hr drive away). I grabbed my first Kallax so I can organize my games. Not sure if I'll fill it up (it's a 2x4), but I figure that only gives me more of an incentive to grab more games. Hoping to put it together this week (between after school soccer practices).

KALLAX Shelf unit, white, 303/8x577/8" - IKEA
Crumb (01-23-2024), Ensign Steve (01-23-2024), slimshady2357 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:13 PM

... delete me please, repost somehow ...

Last edited by It's Me!; 01-23-2024 at 01:20 PM. Reason: repost
Old 01-23-2024, 03:13 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Ah shelf space. I knew it once... :wish:
It's Me! (01-24-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 01:27 PM

The Kallax (and a second shelf) are up, and the games are all* moved into place. Added a few extra touches and things look pretty good. Of course, I forgot to take picture to share. Will do that tonight.

Now to move to my next gaming project. I grabbed the PnP version of a game called 99 Ninjas (Just a moment...) which requires layering game pieces, which requires transparent sheets. Got to figure out how I'm going to accomplish that.

*My games like Fortress America, Axis and Allies, and other board games that came in long boxes won't fit, so they'll remain in our sunroom (which is unfortunately not temperature regulated) until I can figure out another option. We're slowly turning our den into a gaming room for the boys (that includes me), but it's slow going as there are a million and one projects I need to complete on this house.
Crumb (01-29-2024), JoeP (01-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:44 PM

For those interested in tackling a print and play game, I think this one currently on Kickstarter would be a good place to start. Cascadia is a really fun board game (I highly recommend), and this is a flip, roll, and write game they're coming out with.

Cascadia:Rolling - Just a moment...

$10 gets you the files of both games.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:17 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Cascadia is a great game. I considered the Kickstarter for that, but I am just not in a game acquiring phase right now.
It's Me! (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Cascadia is a great game. I considered the Kickstarter for that, but I am just not in a game acquiring phase right now.
Honestly, that's the only phase I'm in right now *lol*

I just won Brass Birmingham in an auction. It's the top ranked game at Board Game Geek. It's a very "thinky" strategic game, and I have no idea who I'm going to get to play it with me. I'm going to have the same issue with Root. Brass Birmingham doesn't have an official solo play option, so I'm going to have to go with one of the fan-made options.

I also broke my "only play board games physically" rule because it's hard to play deep, strategic, hours-long games with little kids ... and purchased Root, Wingspan, and Terraforming Mars on Steam. My only other option is to start showing up at the local gaming store and finding a board gaming group, but I literally have no free time that isn't time I should really spend sleeping given the recent changes to my work schedule. First world problems for sure, but ... bleh.

Last edited by It's Me!; 03-11-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Thanks, from:
specious_reasons (03-12-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle