Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: What are you reading?

I just finished reading The Warlords by Matt Braun. It is a fictionalized account about the Germans funding Mexican border raids into Texas and raising and arming a small army to invade Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona in 1915 in order to distract the United States, triggering a declared war on Mexico, keeping the U.S. from entering the war in Europe. The raids were part of a plan to start a race war in Texas, the San Diego (TX) Plan, part of what was known as The Border War 1910-1917. The Plan of San Diego called for the execution of all gringo males over 16 years of age, then later on, Tejanos who refused to join the "revolution". There were a total of 30 raids that killed 21 Americans and did millions in property damage. Texan vigilantes killed over 100 Mexicans and Tejanos. The Rangers themselves killed more Mexicans than Mexicans killed Americans.

San Diego, Texas is about 85 miles inside Texas, west of Corpus Christi. The invasion part of the Plan of San Diego was thwarted by Texas Rangers and Army patrols, the raids ended after the U.S. recognized the government of President Venustiano Carranza. In the book, it ended with a federal agent and one of the Texas Rangers went into Matamoros and killed two of the warlords and captured two Germans. The Border War itself ended after Pancho Villa attacked Columbus, NM, triggering General Blackjack Pershing going after Villa deep in Mexico with almost 5,000 troops.

Edit: This is of interest to me, as my great-grandfather and his family were living on a farm near Donna, Texas, near McAllen from 1912-1916. I now wonder if those raids precipitated their return to Kansas.

Last edited by Dingfod; 03-11-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-11-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Text:

Audiobook:

Jeremy Irons played Humbert Humbert in Adrian Lyne's made-for-cable remake, which I plan on seeing after finishing this book. His narration is impeccable.
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (03-15-2014), livius drusus (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Lord of the Rings. Finally. I love Tom Bombadil.
JoeP (03-15-2014), Pan Narrans (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 AM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

Finished A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf. Not sure if she was drunk while she wrote it, but I did enjoy the first reading as convoluted as it is.

:thanked:
Old 03-15-2014, 04:56 AM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

Also caught up on some side reading with poetry by Allen Ginsberg ("Howl" and "Empty Mirror") and the novels The Cat Inside by William S. Borroughs and his collaboration with Jack Kerouac titled And the Hippos were Boiled in Their Tanks.

:thanked:
Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Lord of the Rings. Finally. I love Tom Bombadil.
Meaning you haven't read it before? It would be good to hear more about how you find it!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 03-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I just finished the main body of "the Tibetan Book of the Dead" by W.Y. Evans-Wentz and I am ready to start the appendix, and then the Addenda. I don't think I read the Index, other than to just scan it. .
Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
Text:

Jeremy Irons played Humbert Humbert in Adrian Lyne's made-for-cable remake, which I plan on seeing after finishing this book. His narration is impeccable.
Be wary: Adrian Lyne's version treats the abuse and pedophilia like a romance. Irons is a great Humbert Humbert but the movie's direction is shit. At least the Kubrik version is clear-eyed about who the villain is.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I found Jeremy Irons' version sufficiently icky, especially the rocking chair scene.

I'm reading The Last of the Barons by Edward Bulwer Lytton. It's a novel about Warwick the Kingmaker. Bulwer Lytton takes an interesting angle on Warwick's fall, painting it as either result or symptom of the rising merchant class & diminishing aristocracy. What intrigues me most is that no historian I've read has suggested it, but it doesn't read as being without merit. I am interested to see where he takes it.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

I'm reading John Scalzi's Redshirts. Got it from my son for my birthday.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Currently on Rupetta. So far, I really like it. It's sort of an alternate history, with the departure point being the creation, in 16th century France, of an immortal artificial woman around whom a religion develops whose followers despise the weakness of the flesh and aspire to Transformation into deathless mechanical beings. It's also sort of a gothic horror thing about the relationship between life and death, that very effectively blends one protagonist's simultaneous anticipation and fear of her impending Transformation, her coping with her father's declining health, and a lot of gardening imagery. But, then, it's also about history and the creation and falsification of history. And, then, also, it's unusual in that all the major characters are women. Definitely one of the more interesting pieces of fiction I've read lately.
Finished this, and definitely recommend it. If I have a complaint, it's that Rupetta's physical properties are treated very inconsistently. In first person narration, she often refers to her leather skin, wooden limbs, etc., and yet she frequently passes for human, even, in at least one case, to a lover.

Currently on Hild, which is making me want to play Crusader Kings, despite being set like four hundred years earlier.
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-19-2014), LadyShea (10-14-2014), SharonDee (03-18-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES
"Formal Languages and Automata"
Finite state machines are awesome.
:brohoof:

I presented my final project last week, and it was all finite automata theory all the time. :biggrin:

He gave me an easy one in exchange for making me go first. And now I'm done. Win!
BrotherMan (03-24-2014), Crumb (03-24-2014), Janet (04-02-2014), JoeP (03-25-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Janet (04-02-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM

I'm going medieval in my (re)reading.

Audiobook:

Physical book:

Only the ebook is set in the modern era. This is the first of the Nero Wolfe mysteries:

The last time I was at my favorite bookstore, I bought editions of Beowulf (trans. Burton Raffel) and Troilus and Criseyde (trans. Barry Windeatt) off the discount cart, so I have more works to keep me in the medieval era if I want.
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-09-2014), JoeP (04-07-2014), livius drusus (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Read most of For Home and Country: World War I Propaganda on the Home Front by Celia Malone Kingsbury.

Also, just got Elaine Forman Crane's Killed Strangely: The Death of Rebecca Cornell in the mail Saturday. Crane is coming to Newport next week to talk about her latest project in the works, the tale of the attempted murder by poison of Benedict Arnold (not the infamous Revolutionary War traitor) by his wife. Apparently there was no law against attempted murder back in the day, but it was generally accepted as grounds for divorce...

Thanks, from:
Janet (04-09-2014), livius drusus (04-07-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:07 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Just finished and recommend,
Gulp

Excellent, funny and informative as always. If you've read any of Mary Roach's other books you will love this one. It basically takes you from mouth to anus and explores the research and discoveries of the digestive track.

The Fault in Our Stars.

An easy to read love story of Hazel, a teen dying of cancer and her journey to discover the truth of what becomes of a pet hamster (if you've read it you will understand). Adorable, sad, amazing.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-10-2014), One for Sorrow (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 AM

Finished The Name of the Rose and Fer-de-Lance, so now I've got the following LibriVox recording going...

Typee by Herman Melville

...along with The Man Who Smiled by Henning Mankell as an ebook. It's compulsively readable, and the series gets better and better IMO.

Thanks, from:
The Man (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM

I finished the Wallander book, so now I'm moving onto The Origin by Irving Stone as an e-text. I downloaded it via Open Library, a resource I highly recommend.

The physical text I'm reading at the same time is Janet Browne's two-volume Darwin biography.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-17-2014), The Man (04-17-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM
puzzler

In remembrance of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I'm rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude the Gregory Rabassa translation.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Solipsist

As soon as I find my copy ...

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (04-20-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Currently on Hild, which is making me want to play Crusader Kings, despite being set like four hundred years earlier.
Finished this a week or so ago. This was one of those books where I was reluctant to start reading anything else, because I wanted my head to stay in this one's world for a while. I am totally in love with Griffith's depictions of the seasonal rhythms of life in the 700's, and her lovingly detailed descriptions of the natural world.

I also read and enjoyed Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation, the first book of his Southern Reach trilogy.

I've just started Marc Morris' The Norman Conquest: The Battle of Hastings and the Fall of Anglo-Saxon England, because I picked it up cheap when it was the Kindle daily deal a little while back and because Hild still has my brain stuck in Medieval England.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 PM

After seeing Michael Frayn's brilliant play Copenhagen, about the famous meeting between Werner Heisenberg and Niels Bohr in 1941, I'm now reading the book that inspired it:

And listening to this as an audiobook:

For those who want to see Copenhagen, it was filmed for TV with Daniel Craig as Heisenberg, Stephen Rea as Bohr, and Francesca Annis as Bohr's wife, Margrethe. It's compressed somewhat from the play as written by Frayn, which is a shame, but it's still very much worth watching.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-02-2014), Kyuss Apollo (05-06-2014), Pan Narrans (05-02-2014), vremya (05-26-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Finished Crane's microhistory on Rebecca Cornell. Some of it was good, some of it was very speculative, and it is was repetitive in several places. For example, the story of the death-turned-into-a-murder investigation appears once near the beginning, ending with the execution of Cornell's son for matricide, then deja vu the same story of the investigation shows up again near the end to pad an explanation how the 17th century court system worked followed by speculation on what all the neighbors, jurors and Cornell's descendents were thinking from Cornell's death through Lizzie Borden and beyond. Yup, Ms. Borden was a descendent of Rebecca Cornell, but that has little to do with this story from the 1670s other than it's an odd coincidence...There is a good story here, but would be better quite frankly if it were a lot leaner and less bs; cutting the 80-100 pages of filler would be about right.

Currently reading Barbara Clark Smith's The Freedoms We Lost: Consent and Resistance in Revolutionary America.. So far, so good :unnod:

Also, have been assigned this to read for a "book club" at work that I have somehow found myself a member of without any signing up for on my part. Whatever. Think I got up to about page 8 when I noticed the footnotes were referencing other books the authors had written. Yeah! Who needs peer-reviews anyway? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Decided then that I am going to finish reading Clark's book first.

Thanks, from:
Adam (05-05-2014), Crumb (05-04-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature