Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: The "This is what I've learned today." Thread

Indeed.

Important AnnouncementTO OUR CUSTOMERS, ALARMED OR OTHERWISE

The economic crisis that forced us to consider closing at the end of this

year has mostly passed. To a large extent it was a crisis felt by

hundreds of antiquarian booksellers in America.

Many closed. We, fortunately, won't have to.

We will be open regular hours (10-5, Monday-Saturday) and welcome

all readers, dealers, browsers.

We are sorry for the alarm, but things did look discouraging for awhile.

Profound change has come to the antiquarian book business in the last

few years---when and if it will stop nobody knows but Booked Up, for

now and we hope for a long time to come, is still in the game.
Thanks, from:
wildernesse (12-07-2009)
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 AM
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
The guitar riffs and solo in the Beastie Boys' No Sleep Till Brooklyn were played by Slayer guitarist Kerry King.

:carson:

:themoreyouknow:
Well know, this was an important tidbit of knowledge. I am glad I now know that.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Dark Lord, on the Dark Throne

Today I learned why (and under what conditions) companies might choose to offer warrants or convertible bonds vs. offering equity, or taking on additional debt.

Reasons to Issue Warrants and Convertibles

A firm issuing convertibles vs straight debt because convertibles pay lower interest rate

A. If stock price later rises, conversion is indicated – company should have issued straight debt because now the company has to issue chunk of equity - dilutes ownership share and per-share value;

B. If stock price later falls,or the rise is not high enough to justify conversion – firm is better off than issuing straight debt. Interest on convertible is lower, and conversion never happens.

A firm issuing convertibles vs common stock

A. If stock price later rises, conversion is indicated – company is better off

B. If stock price later falls,or the rise is not high enough to justify conversion – firm should have issued stock. Firm would have gotten more $ at the earlier inflated price, compared to current price - conversion never happens
Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 AM
The cat that will listen

I learned that I would like to punch Bronson Alcott in the face.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 AM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

Today I --->LEARNED<--- about the 1215 Magna Carta. I read about it's history and it's impact in judicial review / habeas corpus. The politics of the monarch King John II and his barons I found to be mighty interesting. And even more especially the future relationships between the Magna Carta adoring Jurist Edward Coke and Queen Elisabeth / the Parliament. He publicly acclaimed the document throughout his life, but allowed her decisions to override his beliefs. An interesting fellow.

I found it strange that it is so barely mentioned in US classrooms...
No, I don't.

:thanked:
Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 AM

This thread makes me realize how little I pay attention and/or am taught nearly nothing from my instructors.

I've noticed the only time I learn anything is when I take the initiative to teach it to myself.

Last edited by Gonzo; 12-09-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

I learned about the Magna Carta in school. I must have been doing something wrong.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

To be fair, Angakuk, they did just finish writing it.

:shiftier:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-09-2009), Brimshack (12-10-2009), ChuckF (12-09-2009), Deadlokd (05-30-2010), Demimonde (12-09-2009), erimir (12-09-2009), Sauron (03-18-2013), Sock Puppet (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

:iceburn:
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 AM

You are right, of course. It was in Current Events, not History.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 AM

I mean, all they ever do is make it a bold faced vocab word with little information.

Also, as I said, I aint learner.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM

I am truly sorry that your school sucked so badly at providing you with an education. That was not my experience. I am no apologist for the public school system and I am well aware that it is deeply flawed. However, I somehow managed to acquire a decent education despite those flaws and often despite my own attempts to circumvent the process.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM

I've had a lot of brilliant teachers at my school, several I never had the priviledge to have classes with, and several I had. This year, though, they're all pretty mediocre.

For example, I take a course called AP BIO with my ninth grade Health teacher as the instructor (I am now in 12th grade, though I really have trouble relating to these dramatic slags that are high school childrens). Now this course is supposed to be a college level experience. Whatever. Let me first point out that she did not teach it ever before. In previous years a younger teacher who loved the class did. This lady, however, was forced into teaching it (reluctantly) because of the seniority bull. Why have somebody who didn't even WANT to teach a class replace somebody who was passionate about it? I don't understand. The problem is that she starts every single week lecturing us for about twenty minutes about how awful we all did on the previous test. She does ask us how she can help deliver the material better, but tells us it is our fault for "not taking the class seriously" and ignores most suggestions. It reminds me of the effect of Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech where he blamed everything on the people of the nation and had no real answer to the issues as a leader. Anyway, to contrast this, this teacher (while teaching) gets easilly distracted from explianing things and begins to chit chat with the masses of female students in the room. Then about five minutes later does that "SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH" buisiness to try to shut everybody up. Then five minutes later she does it again. Then she complains more about how we never get anything done. When she delivers notes, she does not ever elaborate- but only reads them outloud. The tests drive me wild, too. I take my own tedious notes but the questions are never about concepts, they are bits of trivial info here and there. Argh.

I like my French II class, but it's still unfulfilling. Too much singing and watching movies. Fun, but not helping one bit.

One teacher is stupendous, and I have her for three more classes this year English, Speech, and Drama. She's like a grandmother to us and I also had her last year.

Since they cut the Creative Writing teacher job, however, I pretty much gave up on the place.

I look forward to college.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM

I recently watched an interview on CSPAN with this woman who had compiled a series of US HISTORY books and she did quite some talking on instituting a program among teachers that had them teach eachother. Not about teaching method, but the actual content and how they went about delivering it to their pupils. I very much liked this idea. And I dreamed about what my other teachers would have been like - had they ever sat in on a lesson by my old Psycology instructor, Mr. Lynch. I think anyone would have been impressed by his methods, if not inspired.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
It reminds me of the effect of Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech where he blamed everything on the people of the nation and had no real answer to the issues as a leader.
You mean the one where he said: "I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel" when discussing how to make America an energy-secure nation?

I guess that depends on whether you consider those real answers. Those things would've helped, of course. But that actually seems like a pretty Libertarian thing to say... a lot of times they say what people ought to do (even though we all know they won't), but don't want to put incentives into practice that will actually get them to do it. "Just say 'NO' to oil."
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 PM

I learned that the team with the best record in Major League Baseball during the strike-shortened season of 1994 was the now-defunct Montreal Expos. The Expos had an all-star out field that year, comprising Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, and Larry Walker. In addition, Ken Hill went 16-5, and 23-year-old Pedro Martinez was 11-5, embarking on a Hall-of-Fame career. The Expos never had any money, and the team was broken up. They never won anything before or since -- the one year they had a great team, the strike prevented them from a possible World Series berth.

How I learned this is also sort of cool -- I have a friend whom I knew in college. He recently retired from his drudge-like 25-year job with the I.R.S. Wondering what to do, he decided to write a book about Frederick the 2nd, Holy Roman Emeperor and King of Sicily in the 13th century. His friends in the publishing industry told him that it would never get published (he has no credentials whatsoever as a historian or an author), but the first publisher he sent it to accepted it, and gave him an advance (the book is finished, but needs to be edited, etc.). He wants to write his second book about the '94 Expos -- which is how I learned about them.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
It reminds me of the effect of Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech where he blamed everything on the people of the nation and had no real answer to the issues as a leader.
You mean the one where he said: "I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel" when discussing how to make America an energy-secure nation?

I guess that depends on whether you consider those real answers. Those things would've helped, of course. But that actually seems like a pretty Libertarian thing to say... a lot of times they say what people ought to do (even though we all know they won't), but don't want to put incentives into practice that will actually get them to do it. "Just say 'NO' to oil."
It's not about the content or purpose of a speech, it's about the response it gets.

That is why I, like Hitler, am a rabble rouser.

Seriously, though, you can't continuously be negative as a teacher it is counter productive. She, like Carter, tells us what WE can do, but never pays any attention to what SHE can do for us. I guess I look at the classroom as a mutual-group effort. Not one sided. The same with the nation or whatever else. I actually like Carter... but I am not an expert on the guy.

:D It's like this:

Quote:
I only remember a few things about Jimmy Carter. He had big lips and liked peanuts. I now know that Jimmy Carter was and is a good man.

-Kurt Cobain in his Journals

I will go read it again though, because you make a good point. Maybe it's I who needs to try harder.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM

The Crisis of Confidence:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/...ps_crisis.html

Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Obviously his speech didn't have the intended effect.

I'm not sure exactly why that was. A combination of factors, most likely. People don't want to be told to use less, and there were other people who wanted to tell them that there was no need for them to use less. And probably he wasn't able to get much of the policies in that speech put into law.

Of course, we're still dealing with the same problem now.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 AM
The cat that will listen

I think it's worser now.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Today I learned that Jimmy Carter is a much more inspirational leader than my Bio teacher. I was surprised at how relevant it was and still is. Now I wish I hadn't gotten got caught up in the post-Carter bashing.

Quote:
I will continue to travel this country, to hear the people of America. You can help me to develop a national agenda for the 1980s. I will listen and I will act. We will act together. These were the promises I made three years ago, and I intend to keep them.
Little by little we can and we must rebuild our confidence. We can spend until we empty our treasuries, and we may summon all the wonders of science. But we can succeed only if we tap our greatest resources -- America's people, America's values, and America's confidence

I usually blame Congress for just about everything. :P

Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 AM
mostly harmless

Gonzo, do you know where you will go to college or what you will study there? Just wondering.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I want to go to St John's College with all my little heart. It is a Great Books curriculum liberal arts school and the oldest college in America, but seeing that it is 50,000$ a year and I am a poor boy (nobody loves me) - I will be attending Northern Michigan University in 2011 to study English Literature/ Creative Writing (after going to a public college for one year). I would like to extend my education past that as well, but I really only want to write books. I hate the idea of debt. -.-

Last edited by Gonzo; 12-10-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
Indeed.

Important AnnouncementTO OUR CUSTOMERS, ALARMED OR OTHERWISE

The economic crisis that forced us to consider closing at the end of this

year has mostly passed. To a large extent it was a crisis felt by

hundreds of antiquarian booksellers in America.

Many closed. We, fortunately, won't have to.

We will be open regular hours (10-5, Monday-Saturday) and welcome

all readers, dealers, browsers.

We are sorry for the alarm, but things did look discouraging for awhile.

Profound change has come to the antiquarian book business in the last

few years---when and if it will stop nobody knows but Booked Up, for

now and we hope for a long time to come, is still in the game.

How to sell a book:

Put this sexy beast on the cover.

I hope the local BookWorld will stay open for my entire lifespan. I fear a world without paper books. Curse the Kendel. Curse it too hell.
I think we have my Grandmother's original print of The Wizard of Oz around here somewhere but I remember it being pretty shabby.

Check out this man who loved books too much. I laughed about this, thinking back to the times I have mulled over stealing some of my favorites doctrines out of the Library. n_n

Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Uber TechnoKiller

Alert Re: The "This is what I've learned today." Thread

Today is decided to solidify the concept of Journalism. It's funny. While in Skeptic.com,I read a short really column about "Everything I Needed to Know About Skepticism I Learned from Scooby-Doo ", skepticism for kids. I remember watching it as a kid. One particular statement that caught my eye was. Something like "All journalism are not true.", If you remember a pup named scooby doo, you'll remember freddy's constant reading of "The National exaggerator".

This experience made me a little bit more selective of what sorts of Articles I read.Also made me buy magazine for updates in the scientific community, in between books.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall