Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Admin

Law $6 Million McStripSearch

This article caught my eye tonight:
Ogborn awarded $6.1 million in strip-search hoax in Kentucky case against McDonald's

A Bullitt County jury has found McDonald's Corp. liable in Louise Ogborn's hoax strip-search suit. Ogborn was awarded compensatory damages of over $1 million and punitive damages of $5 million.

Ogborn, 21, erupted into tears when the verdict was announced and hugged her mother and grandparents.
When I saw this article I had to find out what McDonald's had to do with strip-searching. It didn't take long to find this earlier article in the same paper. It's very long but a fascinating and disturbing read.

If you don't have the time or inclination to read it, here's the Reader's Digest version: Over about 10 years, some clown allegedly called dozens of fast-food joints and restaurants, and claiming to be a police officer managed to convince various staff members (and in some cases, customers) to engage in strip-searches, sexual molestations and even (in then 18 yr. old Ogborn's case) fellatio.

The basis for the jury award was that McDonald's knew about this for years but didn't adequately distribute this information to the restaurant staff. It's the craziest thing I've read all year, and given the amount of time I spend here that's saying something.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Babby Police

Default Re: $6 Million McStripSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
some clown ... fellatio.
Goliath (10-06-2007), JoeP (10-06-2007), Nullifidian (10-08-2007), Shelli (10-06-2007), viscousmemories (10-06-2007)
Old 10-06-2007, 07:36 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Crazy is right. Too bad the idiot assistant manager that didn't figure out that a) the caller was not a cop, and b) for 3-1/2 hours can't be punished more severely. That kind of stupid needs to be punished.

Even crazier is that the caller was acquitted.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:40 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Davey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
some clown ... fellatio.
Busted:

Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Admin

It definitely seems like these people were unbelievably stupid, but the longer article I linked to makes some interesting parallels with the Milgram experiment. I wonder if there's a correlation between the number of hours people watch COPS and their susceptibility to pseduoauthoritarian coercion.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Northier Than Thou

McDonalds hell. She should sue the police departments of many a state for doing fuck-nothing about it.

:germany: :tx: :co: :ca: :wy: :nv: :il: :navajonation: :az: :tx: :ak:
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Done

It was on 20/20 last night and they showed the security tape. It was unbelievable what those idiots did to that poor girl. Served the boyfriend of the manager right to land in jail.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
mesospheric bore

Nasty.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

:wtfsign::wtfsign:
Old 10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
He was? That's not in the article vm linked to.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post

The caller was acquitted? Or the man arrested in the article was aquitted?

And where did you hear that? I hope to hell that the man who made the calls was not aquitted, that suck, bigtime.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Admin

It seems (according to Wikipedia) that David Stewart, the prison guard suspected of perpetrating all these calls, was acquitted.

I found a video of ABC News Primetime's story about the Ogborn incident.

As for the guy she was forced to perform fellatio on:

ABC News: Man Gets 5 Years for Role in Fast-Food Strip Search Ploy
Walter Nix was sentenced Wednesday to five years in prison for his role in the bizarre strip search and sexual assault of an 18-year-old McDonald's employee in Mount Washington, Ky.

Nix, a 43-year-old exterminator, pleaded guilty last month to sexual abuse, sexual misconduct and unlawful imprisonment.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 PM

The jury deliberated for just an hour and 40 minutes. I thought the calling card evidence was pretty damn solid, but I guess it was for other cases. :sigh:
Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

As I read the Courier-Journel article I asked myself what I would have done had I been in the position of either the assistant manager or the employee. I am pretty certain that I would have refused to comply with "Officer Scott's" instructions. Not, however, because I think I am smarter than those people who did comply, but because I have a very well developed attitude of disrespect for authority. An attitude which many might consider to be anti-social, but one that I happen to think is very healthy.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Yeah that. Even if I hadn't spotted the scam, I definitely would have had a problem with the blatant violation of Constitutional rights.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
you're next

in a way, i am glad the caller was acquitted. what he did wasn't cool, but it's about time mindless sheep got in more trouble for what they do than the people they point fingers at for what they say...well he told me to do it. fuck that.

and what was that girl thinking? are 18 year olds really that dumb?

all a bunch of retards.

and don't be too hard on McDonald's for not warning people. maybe they just had too much faith in people being smarter than somebody just hit on the head with a bat. obviously, the people at head office have never ordered food at a Mickey D's before...

think about it this way...we all feel smarter for knowing this :)
Old 10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
Not, however, because I think I am smarter than those people who did comply, but because I have a very well developed attitude of disrespect for authority.
I thought the same thing. I used to work in fast-food places when I was a teenager, and given my antipathy toward authority there's no way I would've gone along with it. That's why this didn't strike me as mysterious: "It was Simms, the Mount Washington store's maintenance man and a ninth-grade dropout, who refused to play the caller's game."

Of course by the time I was 16 I had already been arrested and incarcerated multiple times and had been on probation for 2.5 years, so I might've had a better idea how the police and justice system work than most kids.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Done

Oh yeah, blame it on the victim. Of course all rape and assault victims are responsible for what happens to them. She, who pleaded with her supervisor over and over again to get her out of there, is to blame.

I am grateful the jury was intelligent enough not to place blame on a victim.

So you think it is ok, that someone is acquitted because his victims are stupid. I suppose then it is ok in your eyes for someone to go rape retarded people without punishment, because his victims have a low IQ?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:41 PM
you're next

so she had no say in this? she couldn't just walk away or call the police on her own? defending her behaviour is why people are able to get away with this shit. we weaken people and then defend them for being weak. i feel bad for the girl, but i really don't think my sister would have stood around and taken that.

what kind of message are we really sending?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Done

You didn't answer my question.

I will also repeat: I am grateful the jury was intelligent enough not to place blame on a victim.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
you're next

i'm not so much happy he was acquitted as i am pleased with who got more of the blame.

(that girl was actually mentally handicapped? the person doing the assault? i admit to not reading the article, but i know some of the story from work. i don't call people that have medical problems that slow them down, retards...i call people like this- retards. if she has a medical problem, i take it back)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Done

Quote:
in a way, i am glad the caller was acquitted.
Maybe you need to read or watch what was done to her, before making judgments against her. I watched the security camera video tape of what happened. She was accused of stealing a woman's purse by what she thought was a policeman on the phone, she was then strip searched by her supervisor. She begged and pleaded with her to let her go. She was stark naked the whole time and felt helpless to do anything. The boyfriend of the supervisor was assaulting the poor girl and she said she was paralyzed with fear, and didn't know what to do. When the supervisor would walk in during her 2 1/2 -3 hour ordeal, she kept pleading with her.

But it's ok this happened to her, because she is so stupid she didn't know how to get herself out of the situation?

And you are "glad the caller was acquitted." Those are your words.

What she said to 20/20 in an interview is that her parents taught her to respect and not question authority. It was her boss that strip searched her and she thought a policeman was on the phone. And there are many 18 year old high school students out there with not enough "street smarts" or life experience to know what to do in a situation like this. She thought she was cooperating with the authorities, when what was actually happening to her was she was being victimized and she felt powerless to do anything about it.

Perhaps you might try putting yourself into victim's shoes and not judge her so harshly. This can happen to any number of people.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
you're next

you help make her a victim. you encourage that fear by saying what she did was ok, it was just a misuse of power that created the situation and that she was perfectly fine to remain frightened and powerless. gotta love those victims...gives strong people something to measure themselves by. oh yeah, you brought iq into it, not i ;)

btw...you keep misquoting me. this is what i actually said and then clarified later:

Quote:
in a way, i am glad the caller was acquitted. what he did wasn't cool, but it's about time mindless sheep got in more trouble for what they do than the people they point fingers at for what they say...well he told me to do it. fuck that.
so...maybe you should drop the saviour act and see what i am saying, instead of misquoting me to try to make me look bad and you the bleeding heart hero?

let the pile-on begin, but i didn't do anything wrong. i actually participated totally on topic...thanks for changing that topic and misquoting me to turn it into something else, pw.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

In the name of all that's holy, ITSOZ, please stick to your photos and don't post any more of your priceless opinions, I mean "truths".
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-08-2007), Shelli (10-07-2007)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:50 PM
you're next

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
In the name of all that's holy, ITSOZ, please stick to your photos and don't post any more of your priceless opinions, I mean "truths".
and it begins...no.

(i won't be adding any more pics to this site either)

Last edited by ZEZOZE; 10-06-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law