Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Fishy mokey

Default Re: News Miscellany

Quote:
Even such a hardcore anti-government media outlet as the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) does not support the twisted logic that the US-led coalition uses to justify its agression against the Syrian government.
SOHR: Syrian Su-22 Didn't Target SDF Fighters In Western Raqqah

Kurdish Politician: Syrian Fighter Jet Shot by US Not in Anti-SDF Operation

Quote:
Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday that Moscow is halting all interactions with Washington within the framework on the memorandum of incident prevention in Syrian skies.
The Defense Ministry added that Russian missile defense will intercept any aircraft in the area of operations of the Russian Aerospace Forces in Syria, Sputnik reported.
Russia Halts Cooperation with US within De-Confliction Channel in Syrian Airspace
The Man (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Fishy mokey

The escalation over downed Syria jet is escalating quickly and Trump is nowhere to be found
But (06-20-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-19-2017), Nullifidian (07-11-2017), The Man (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

So here's a guy running against Paul Ryan:

He also has one of the best Twitter handles: Randy Bryce (@IronStache) | Twitter

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (06-20-2017), The Man (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Solipsist

"Not everybody's seated at the table. And it's time to make a bigger table."

:thumbup:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
The Man (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Fishy mokey

The US is absolutely determined to stumble into war:

US shoots down drone near Syria-Iraq borders
Nullifidian (07-11-2017), The Man (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

FiveThirtyEight’s take on today’s Georgia special election is probably the best one I’ve read. It’s not really clear who’s favoured to win right now; a few months back I cited some reasons that Handel could be a fairly weak candidate, but I don’t feel like I have a firm read on… anything, really, when it comes to this race.

I’m also more than a little uneasy about Georgia’s electronic voting machines, which don’t have paper trails. The security of these machines has historically been atrocious and I have yet to see any evidence that it’s been fixed; I’ve also yet to be presented with any convincing evidence that it is possible to audit the results of any of these machines in any fail-safe fashion without a paper trail.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-20-2017), lisarea (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

The DNC leaker, Seth Rich, that was murdered in cold blood, is a story not going away.

The Clinton body count is getting some mainstream validation now that they have no political office.

404 - StoryLine

The Profiling Project Seth Rich Report | Offender Profiling | Victimology

Quote:
WASHINGTON (ABC7) — A new report has been released by an independent group on the investigation into the death of DNC worker Seth Rich, who was murdered last July in DC.

Brad Bauman, the spokesperson for the Rich family, issued this response to the report Tuesday:

"The Rich family was not provided a copy of the preliminary report, never saw the report or was otherwise consulted in the preparation of the report. I received the report a half an hour before it was made public thus depriving myself, the family or the family's lawyers any reasonable time (to) review it. As noted, by the report's methodology, 'The Profiling Project' was given no special access to any materials, evidence or persons and due to case sensitivity, conducted only informal, limited interviews. Given that fact, the family hopes that the general public takes the findings at face value---valuable experience in research collection and report writing for students at George Washington University but in no way should take any findings contained within as new, credible or otherwise lending credence to conspiracy theories surround the circumstances of Seth's death. We further hope that this doesn't continue to impede the Metropolitan Police Department's ability to find the killers and give folks who might have information to their arrest cover to stay silent."

The Profiling Project is an independent, nonpartisan unit comprised of forensic experts and George Washington University graduate students who have been investigating the murder of Seth Rich.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Naturally, the hot takes regarding GA6 and SC5 (Republicans won both by about three-point margins) are already coming in. But a few things we need to remember:

1. Special elections are not representative of the country as a whole. Presidents almost always choose cabinet members from safe Congressional seats. A special election hasn’t been lost by the incumbent’s party in twenty-three years, IIRC.

2. Ossoff’s district, if my understanding is correct, has a Cook PVI of R+8. If we merely retake all the Republican seats with R+3 or less, it’s my understanding that we’ll retake the House with a fifteen-seat majority. There are 52 Republican seats with R+5 or less, and 71 with R+7 or less.

3. Here’s the electoral history of Ossoff’s district:

2002: R win by 59%
2004: R win by 100%
2006: R win by 45%
2008: R win by 37%
2010: R win by 99%
2012: R win by 29%
2014: R win by 32%
2016: R win by 24%
2017: R win by 04%

Not exactly good news for John McCain! Republicans.

4. Ossoff’s district is also Newt Gingrich’s old district. It had been reliably Republican for forty years. We forced Republicans to spend tens of millions of dollars defending it, and we came within a few points of winning it. That’s not a victory, but it’s not a complete debacle either.

5. It may be instructive to examine the case of Paul Hackett from 2005. He was an upstart Democrat running in a special election in Ohio, and the race received national attention. He came within a few points of winning, but ultimately lost. However, the Democrats still retook the House and Senate the next year. (To be fair, the parallels aren’t exact; the Senate map next year is horrible for us.)

6. Perhaps most importantly, these results indicate that we’re capable of setting up infrastructure on the ground and mounting fairly credible challenges in deeply hostile territory within a rather short time frame. The focus should be on resisting the AHCA, building campaigns on the ground, resisting voter suppression, getting people registered and driven to the polls, and so on.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-21-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Report: NFL prepared to withhold Super Bowl from state of Texas - 247Sports

I'd like to right now thank Chris Kluwe for helping kick off this whole cultural shift in the NFL.

Thanks, from:
The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
3. Here’s the electoral history of Ossoff’s district:
All that's well and good and smart, but to dump a big bucket of cynicism on it: historically close elections are not victories, and I doubt there are any power players left in the RNC sane enough to look at the numbers instead of the win. Trump sure as fuck won't. We need seats, not close margins.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
We need seats, not close margins.
While in the UK, the Tories got more seats than Labour and the Tories are very unhappy and Labour are ecstatic.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
erimir (06-22-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 PM
the internet says I'm right

I'm not saying all the "omg the Democrats are dying!" hot takes are worth a load of piss, and I meant it when I said The Man's analysis was good and smart. If it turns in to actual flipped seats in 2018, I'll eat my crow with relish. Until then, pardon me if I don't get excited by "close." My optimism is still in critical condition, and about to get its health coverage dismantled by people who don't give a single fuck how "close" they won by, only that they won.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-22-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-22-2017), Sock Puppet (06-28-2017), The Man (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Report: NFL prepared to withhold Super Bowl from state of Texas - 247Sports

I'd like to right now thank Chris Kluwe for helping kick off this whole cultural shift in the NFL.
This politics stuff seems to be working out well for them:

Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Are we supposed to be upset that football was slightly less popular in 2016 than 2015? :chin:
The Man (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 AM

Yea, that's not slightly, but you seemed to have missed the point.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:36 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Well if you want me to get it, you'll have to explain it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM

The consumers of this form of entertainment are rejecting their foray into politics.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

So you think we care about the political opinions of football fans?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Russian political analyst, director of the Scientific and Research Institute of Political Sociology Vyacheslav Smirnov commented to Radio Sputnik on the recent developments in Syria.

He said that there is evidently no clear coordination between the US military and civil leadership.

"The US military are getting very nervous, they try to demonstrate their presence, safeguard it and identify the objects which theoretically may pose any threat to them. This, in fact, explains why the Americans do not conduct any large-scale operations but mainly focus on their air defense and aviation," Vyacheslav Smirnov told Sputnik.

He further elaborated that there is no coordination between any parties involved: the commanders of the US-led coalition are acting by themselves, the [peaceful] negotiations are going on separately, while the US Senate and the Congress are living their own lives. There is no interconnection between all of them, and the US military are minding their own business.
The US 'Doesn't Fully Understand What It is Doing in Syria, Gets Very Nervous'

Well, what is happening is that the US' tame rebels in the south are being outmanoeuvred and outsmarted by the Syrian army. They hate that, so they lash out. And apparently nobody is worried about that...
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Fishy mokey

Dutch citizen files suit against Israeli commanders for attack on family home during 2014 Gaza war – Mondoweiss
The Man (06-23-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
So you think we care about the political opinions of football fans?
Obviously, otherwise a story about the NFL doing something political wouldn't have been posted.

Besides, when one lives in a democratic republic, one should care about others' political thoughts, otherwise one places themselves in a bubble of non-reality, iow, a circle jerk, which will distort one's expectations for their experiences in life, thus setting themselves up for sadness and depression.

Ever wonder why liberals are always so angry and offended? Its because they isolate themselves from reality and have a difficult time tolerating others.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

There is big difference between caring about something and being aware of it. I am aware of many opposing viewpoints, but the viewpoints of football fans (even if I could discern them from a simple fall in popularity in the year prior to the action taken in the linked article) do not have any impact on whether or not there should be gender policed bathrooms. There should not be.
The Man (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:46 AM

The fall in ratings was their entering into the black lives matter movement.

It has more to do with the viewers not wanting politics in their entertainment than the particular political views of the fans.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
gender policed bathrooms
What about locker rooms, in high school for example?

How about the local community pool, can the local creeper shower and dress with the young girls of the community?

If no, why not?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Saudi Arabia insists Qatar close Al-Jazeera as Arab states present list of 13 demands to end feud | The Independent

Thanks, from:
JoeP (06-24-2017), The Man (06-24-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law